Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Speaking as a mid ELO player, seeing games like this is fun and lets me spot quick things while reading, so for myself, no problems posting that sort of game here!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Stick to go.

Just kidding, but was this a blitz game? There wasn't anything remotely close to actual opening concepts (take center, develop pieces), pawns were hung everywhere...

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Smudgie Buggler posted:

I just got this position playing the black pieces in a 5/2 game on Chess.com against some dude (dudette maybe, I have no idea) rated 1234. Being very, very bad I roll at just under 1000 most times. I knew I wasn't losing at all, but I have a habit of executing quite solid plans extremely poorly, so I wasn't confident of a win. I was certain they'd play a4 and we'd end up trading down a bunch taking the queens off the board and I might end up swapping both bishops for a rook and that knight, but then my king safety is utter garbage and they're holed up in a fianchetto fortress so I didn't think I was ahead by much.

But then they played Nf5 and I couldn't stop grinning. It's too good a feeling when you've got such a simple attack that doesn't look that devastating until you realise that their Queen has absolutely nowhere to go.

They tried a couple of desperate checks with that knight, but once those ran out they just disconnected, I assume in a big old huff.

Just making sure, you're saying Ba5, right? They can at least sac their rook...

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Smudgie Buggler posted:

Yes, but after ...dxc3 if Qc1 then ...c2, Rf1 Rxe2, Be3 Bd2, then the best they've got is Bxe2, their Queen dies anyway and I'm just gobbling material. That knight's hosed. If bxc3 then ...c4, g4 (I guess) cxd3, exd3 Rxe1+, Qxe1 and I assume either Bxb7 and again I'm munching on pawns like nobody's business, or Bf1 Qf3 and we're just going to trade down to an endgame where I'm up a rook and a couple of pawns. Nf5 cost him a good 7-8 points of material at the very least, and he's properly hosed.

Ba5 Rc3
dxc3 bxc3
c4 d4

Still great for you, no question, down effectively a rook, but at least it's not a rook and multiple pawns?

Anyway, yeah, definitely Ba5 is the best move there and it's winning.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Smudgie Buggler posted:

Why would they have played d4 though? That gives away the knight with Qxf5.

*shrug*

I'm rusty? :v:

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Er, resign? Black is down a piece and very, very shortly to be down two pieces (dat white square bishop is lost).

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Hey how's that fantasy chess going? Huh, huh? Just died, didn't it. :smith:

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

OrangeKing posted:

I will totally update the standings at the last minute and declare a winner. IT'LL HAPPEN

Yessss that is the best result.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Watermelon City posted:

I played a tournament game yesterday against a younger player. He made some illegal moves (eg moving into check then hitting the clock) but I didn't call him on it except to let him know he can't do that. Should I be more zealous about enforcing the rules? On one hand I don't want to use technicalities to win. On the other hand, if lil babies don't know the rules they should stay home.

In a tourney with a clock, aren't you totally allowed to move into check and your opponent is allowed to take your king and the game ends?

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

I mean, I didn't spot the mate, but I spotted the move, and you're already winning...

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

AnacondaHL posted:

Why can't black just decline the queen trade with

31. Qh3 Qg6
or something?

f3 I'd imagine

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Hand Knit posted:

Beat one GM today, and almost beat another. After three rounds I had a perf of 3000. Down after two losses, but I'm still doing well, and should be in line for some money. Between the classical and the rapid, I might actually turn a profit this trip.

Nice!!! Post some games!

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Hand Knit posted:

The win:

1. d4 Nf6 2. c4 e6 3. Nf3 Bb4+ 4. Nbd2 O-O 5. a3 Be7 6. e4 d6 7. Bd3 c5 8. d5 e5 9. Nf1 Nbd7 10. Ng3 Re8 11. Nf5 Nf8 12. Nxe7+ Qxe7 13. h3 Ng6 14. g3 Bd7 15. Bg5 h6 16. Be3 a6 17. b4 b5 18. Nd2 bxc4 19. Nxc4 cxb4 20. axb4 Bb5 21. Na5 Qd7 22. Qd2 Rab8 23. Rb1 Rec8 24. f3 Nh5 25. Kf2 Ne7 26. Bxb5 Rxb5 27. g4 Nf4 28. h4 g5 29. hxg5 hxg5 30. Kg3 Rc3 31. Nc6 Neg6 32. Rh6 Rd3 33. Qf2 Nh4 34. Rh1 a5 35. R6xh4 gxh4+ 36. Rxh4 Ng6 37. Rh6 axb4 38. Qe2 Rxe3 39. Qxb5 Kg7 40. Rh1 Nf4 41. Qb8 Ng6 42. Qxb4 Nf4 43. Qb8 Ng6 44. Qb6 Re2 45. Rh2 Rxh2 46. Kxh2 Qc8 47. Kg1 Qh8 48. Qf2 Nf4 49. Qh2 Qa8 50. Qb2 Nd3 51. Qc3 Qa6 52. Kh2 Qa2+ 53. Kh1 Nf4 0-1

The one that could've also been a win but 25/10 games are actually kind of fast so I missed the clinching tactic:

1. Nf3 e6 2. g3 b6 3. Bg2 Bb7 4. O-O c5 5. c4 Nf6 6. Nc3 d6 7. Re1 Nbd7 8. e4 Be7 9. d4 cxd4 10. Nxd4 Qc7 11. b3 a6 12. Bb2 O-O 13. Qe2 Rac8 14. Rad1 Rfe8 15. Nc2 h5 16. h3 Nf8 17. Ne3 Ng6 18. h4 Ne5 19. Rd2 Qb8 20. Red1 Red8 21. Ba3 b5 22. Rd4 Nc6 23. Bb2 Nxd4 24. Rxd4 bxc4 25. Nxc4 Bc6 26. Ne3 Qb7 27. Qd3 Ng4 28. Nxg4 hxg4 29. Qe2 Bf6 30. Rc4 Qd7 31. Na4 Bxb2 32. Nb6 Qe8 33. Nxc8 Bb5 34. Nb6 Bf6 35. Qxg4 Bxc4 36. Nxc4 d5 37. exd5 exd5 38. Ne3 d4 39. Nd5 Qe6 40. Qf3 Be5 41. Nb4 g6 42. Bf1 a5 43. Nc6 Rc8 44. Nxa5 Rc3 45. Qe4 Rc1 46. Kg2 Qf6 47. Bd3 Ra1 48. Qa8+ Kg7 49. Nc4 Bc7 50. a4 Ra2 51. Qf3 Qe7 52. h5 Qg5 53. hxg6 fxg6 54. Bb1 Ra1 55. Qe4 Kh6 56. Qxd4 Qd8 57. Qxa1 Qd5+ 58. f3 1-0

Dat Rc3, goddamn.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Arrgytehpirate posted:

Ugh. I need to learn not to get too excited when I play. I can think of at least three games where I saw a mate and went for it but they also had a mate and were a move ahead. I get so proud of myself when I see a mate two or three moves ahead I tend to ignore what my opponent does and move forward with my plan.

Ooh boy wait til you discover Shogi and both players are almost ready for a mating net for half the game.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Discount Viscount posted:

Haha ain't that the truth. I haven't been playing much shogi since learning it but I pop on to 81dojo sometimes and watch other people play and the back-and-forth is really fun.

Also fun: how often games among kyu players end with an illegal move.

...really? Pawn drop on the same file, or just a piece trying to move somewhere wrong, or mate with a pawn drop?

totalnewbie posted:

Shogi is a complete mindfuck because of the adding back of pieces. Adds a whole new layer to ideas about sacrifice, etc.

Yup. Basically, sacrificing something small is to give yourself momentum. Sacrificing something big had better lead directly to mate or you're turbofucked.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

King Pawn posted:

Short is an rear end, but I'm personally a fan of his proposal to change stalemate's evaluation to a win for the stalemating side. It would simultaneously remove one of the less intuitive rules of the game and reduce the large number of draws in top level chess (especially correspondence).

I know I'm firmly in the minority here because I don't care that much about preserving history or tradition, but it'd be cool to see some tournament try it. Doubtful it'll ever happen though :(

Stalemate happens pretty rarely though, unless you're also counting "neither side can legally win" or "agreed to a draw".

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

King Pawn posted:

I don't get it, Qc1 was mate in 1?

E: Right there was a rook on d1 before he took it :downs: I never was good at those retrograde puzzles

I read a book that was written as a series of short murder mystery stories but each of them was actually a chess retrograde puzzle. It was pretty fun, albeit very contrived.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Elyv posted:

Was it the Sherlock Holmes one?

It was long enough ago that I don't remember. Probably.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Hand Knit posted:

Off tomorrow to a tournament that starts on Saturday. As it stands, I'm right on the border of either playing a 2700 or a 1700 round 1.

Same basic idea.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Hand Knit posted:

Just gotta keep repeating the first rule of chess: everyone is bad.

Chess, programming, honestly basically anything.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

algebra testes posted:

Epic game going on in St Louis.

Rook/Pawn (Aronian) against Rook/Bishop/Pawn (Caruana) endgame.

edit: and that's move 100!

Incredible finish!

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

I like it.

Ng3 if queen takes queen, Ne2#, otherwise Knight goes there anyway and the queen is forced to take the Knight. Or uh pawn pushes and Knight can just take the queen outright. Or pawn takes Knight and queen takes queen.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

UnfurledSails posted:

You did very well, but missed one key variation. What if 1...Ng3 2. Qxd4? Also keep in mind the material balance at the end of your calculations, which can be helpful to figure out the correct way to "cash in" your advantage.

Sure did miss it, but of course Ne2+ forks it. I'm assuming trading the two knights for the queen is the best advantage you can get if white doesn't decide to give it up for one knight, or give up a mate.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

King Pawn posted:

Man it sucks to put effort into this game and see myself go exactly nowhere :( Need to get over this hump somehow but I keep losing games to stupid mistakes and I dunno how to fix it

I've seen this post almost exactly in the Go thread.

It happens, yeah. Post games, get advice, play more.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Played some shogi over the weekend, and as there's no shogi thread, this is closest.

It turns out when you block a lance with a dropped knight, and he doesn't notice that the knight is also attacking the only open (and completely unprotected) space next to his king, and pushes a pawn to drive away your bishop that's protecting the knight...you can drop a silver onto that space checkmate.

Man that game is satisfying, even though the two of us basically only know the basics on how to castle and then it all devolves into a brutal melee followed by wild attacks and eventually a mating net.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

We've played a couple times a year for a while now, and I've studied openings a bit but...castling, man. You make a castle and you move your king into it. Tickles me every time.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

I'm gonna keep talking about shogi because I can't stop thinking about some of those games I played.

So it turns out bishop drops are the most devastating things around. Imagine chess except you don't get queens, and you only get one bishop and one rook. With the capture -> able to drop it as your own anywhere for a move mechanic, rook drops are the "your king doesn't have poo poo around it anymore, time to start my final mating net", pawn drops are the "harass some more major piece and gain some space", and most of the other pieces are part of mating nets.

Bishop drops, though. Your opponent is closing in on your king, but there's a space that forks one of the attacking pieces and a lightly defended piece next to their king. They either move their attacking piece to keep up the attack letting you start an attack of your own, or let up their attack and give you some breathing space.

Or you pin something against their rook while attacking their king *and* helping out your own defense.

Or you just take an easy pawn fork while giving up nothing.

I love this fuckin game.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Quickpull posted:

There are a few chess variants that introduce the mechanic of playing the pieces you’ve captured, mainly crazyhouse and bughouse. It’s super crazy though, since so many of the pieces in chess can create cross board threats.

Shogi has fewer of those “big guns” so it’s SLIGHTLY less crazy, but still...shogi is tough XD

Speaking of variants, has anyone else been playing the 4 player chess variant they added on chess.com? I’ve really been enjoying it.

Yeah I played a bunch of bughouse in high school, chess team loved that poo poo.

It all devolved into "okay you hold out for a few minutes while I wreck this guy and hand you a bunch of pieces" which, even with a clock, was kind of sucky.

The hardest thing I've found with my, oh, couple dozen games of shogi all told, is that castling is fuckin hard without memorizing a bunch of poo poo, and breaking castles down is *really* hard, those gold generals are massive defensive pieces.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

totalnewbie posted:

And you exchange some pieces to make some progress and whoops, here they come back on the board again.

Yeah the progress is really disrupting the pawns, forcing them to either spend a turn putting a new one down (and then you leave your column without one, allowing rooks and lances to work properly) or leaving a hole near their king to drop your pawn near and then it all gets clusterfucky.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

It is. The main problem I have is that unlike shogi, you really can't form a well defended castle; fewer pieces, more powerful offensive attacks, harder to protect spaces multiple times.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Blue Star Error posted:

I also play shogi fellow trp poster. What castles are you having trouble building/breaking? They all have their own little weaknesses and its immensely satisfying to smash up a delicately crafted castle once you learn them.

Building: all of them, I'm bad at memorizing and it all needs slight variations based on other stuff, and did I mention I'm bad at memorizing
Breaking: all of them, all I know how to do is sacrifice a pawn, initiate a brutal melee to gather a bunch of pieces, be ahead in material, then start dropping pieces until the castle is no more.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Blue Star Error posted:

Do you play ranging rook or static rook? Generally I find ranging rook castles quicker and simpler than static, and also more tolerant to doing the moves in different orders without getting wrecked by some clever oval office. The only thing you really have to watch out for is preventing a bishop exchange until your main structure is in place.

The wikipedia pages for shogi castles and such are surprisingly detailed, on that page you might like the wall, gold mino, and three move castles as they all only take a few moves to set up.

Regarding attacking I could knock up an effort post at the weekend with the main ways to break the three most popular castles if you're interested.

Also shogi checkmate puzzles are great, here's a fun 5 move one:

Certainly interested. I'll check out the wiki pages again, I think the last time I looked was years ago.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Blue Star Error posted:

Do you know what rank you are? I wouldn't want to insult your intelligence by saying stuff you clearly already know. I'm ~2kyuu so decent but not spectacular by any means.

Not a clue. My only real opponent I play a few times a year, beat him consistently, but don't know his rank either.

I can plan a few moves ahead, watched a bunch of hidetchi's videos a few years back, and can execute a mating net when I've got the pieces in hand.

Uhhh maybe low to mid ddk?

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

tonberrytoby posted:

Four Queens opening best opening:
9... bxa1=Q?? 10. exd8=Q+
Probably my funniest game yet:
https://lichess.org/VoNeMNy4/white

That's pretty hilarious

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Well yeah, that's called being an rear end in a top hat. Playing to completion and being an rear end in a top hat can overlap, but they are definitely not the same thing.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Hand Knit posted:

My coach is encouraging me to try and get this game published in Sahovski Informator so yeah I think I did pretty good.

Really really want to see this poo poo

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Ahead?

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Tibalt posted:

The player who moved and placed their opponent in the position that any move puts the king in check. In my mind that translated to "ahead" because the player who has no legal moves is almost always down material, but I guess that's not always the case.

I suppose you could also have a stalemate position where the king is surrounded by their own pieces, but I'm not even sure what that would look like.

What about draw by repetition? I feel like that's the most common, followed by "neither side can possibly checkmate the other" followed by the one you describe.

Well, most common presumably is both sides agreeing to a draw early, I suppose.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Control Volume posted:

I gotta give props to the FIDE. You let your pres move some oil when ISIL couldn't move some oil. That's how you play chess.

I'd like a word

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Zug to the zwang