Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
And the Lord said, "Look, they are one people, and they have all one language; and this is only the beginning of what they will do; nothing that they propose to do will now be impossible for them.
They can just do what the US does and subsidize the production of biofuels, keeping the price artificially high, using up all the excess crops, and getting some prestige from investing in renewable energy. The fact that the whole process is extremely inefficient doesn't matter that much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Section 31
Mar 4, 2012
Thanks! I didn't know that Anwar Ibrahim preferred IMF approach on dealing with the financial crisis. I know Mahathir doesn't like IMF (and I agree with his approach on economic policy) but I'm surprised Anwar was the opposite of that.

The impression I got from the media was mostly how Anwar Ibrahim was victim of Mahathir's ambition, since I know very little about Malaysian politics. The narrative always centered on how either Anwar was a prominent opposition figure or a criminal who sodomized little boy, with no news about his IMF approach.

Section 31
Mar 4, 2012
A shameless copy-paste from other thread:

quote:

So apparently Russia is getting a naval base in Vietnam, and trying to get one in Cuba.

http://www.smh.com.au/world/russia-seeks-bases-abroad-20120728-232tt.html
http://en.ria.ru/world/20120727/174804220.html

Of course, they're now denying it. But it certainly makes sense that Vietnam would like a Russian presence, wanting to counterbalance China's influence and expanding control over the South China Sea. Cuba and Seychelles? We'll see.
I was under the impression that Russia already had naval base in Vietnam since Soviet era to counter China and American influence (who were both united in their stance against the USSR).
Nevermind, the Russians apparently had withdrawn in 2002.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cam_Ranh_Bay

Section 31 fucked around with this message at 11:22 on Jul 29, 2012

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Hey everyone, HK goon chiming in. Kind of wanted to post here BECAUSE SINGAPORE IS SO and coming from HK, there's always a rivalry going on. But als, there's a China megathread.

Just found this in the news today. HK and Macau is like the neutral zone for all the rich Chinese heritage South East Asians to come for splurge their money or hang out. It's more hedonistic, grimy, chaotic and has better southern Chinese food than Singapore. But if I could choose, I would pick Singapore to live. Anyways, here's the article from the South China morning post

South China Morning Post posted:

Fugitive former Thai Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra clearly loves Hong Kong - and no wonder.
The former billionaire was in a celebratory mood last week as he marked his 63rd birthday with a party in a Kowloon hotel, flanked by several hundred Thai political backers.

But it was also revealed his visits to the city have proved very lucrative, with at least one property deal netting his family HK$18.5 million.

Property filings obtained last week confirm that a HK$45 million mansion in prestigious King's Park Hill in Ho Man Tin, owned in the name of Thaksin's daughter Paetongtarn since early 2009, was sold to a Hong Kong private company for HK$63.5 million early last year - earning a return of 41 per cent.

At his party, he grinned and stretched out his arms to embrace friends and supporters under the chandeliers of the ballroom in the Mira hotel in Tsim Sha Tsui.

And Thaksin praised the role Hong Kong had played in his years on the run after his ousting in a military coup in 2006 and being sentenced to two years' jail on corruption charges in 2008.

"This (HK) is the place," he told the Sunday Morning Post (SEHK: 0583, announcements, news) . "I always come to the place where I can meet with my supporters and friends."

He added: "Going home is not that serious. You can see that I am here with my friends. I don't care that much."

Thaksin said he was "just a tourist" and had not met any Hong Kong or mainland officials on his latest week-long trip to the city.

But he held talks with a range of Thai political allies and government officials ahead of a cabinet reshuffle being planned by his younger sister, Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra.

His visitors in Hong Kong reportedly included national police chief Priewpan Damapong - the brother of his former wife Pojaman - who appeared unconcerned about outstanding warrants for Thaksin's arrest. General Priewpan's visit only intensified speculation in Thailand that Thaksin is calling the political shots, rather than his sister.

Deputy Prime Minister Chalerm Yubamrung defended General Priewpan, insisting that he had taken leave and that "Thai laws did not apply in Hong Kong", the Bangkok Post reported.

There is no extradition treaty between Hong Kong and Thailand.

Thai media reports last week suggested that Dubai-based Thaksin had vowed to return home soon, but on Thursday he said he had no such expectations.

"If you really hope for something soon, then time will seem so long, so I don't expect anything." Thaksin denied that that his party's plans to change Thailand's constitution, installed by the military, was part of a strategy to get him home, possibly through an amnesty that could also free his fortune.

Yingluck led the Thaksin-allied Puea Thai party to a comfortable victory in last year's election.

Thailand's constitutional court ruled earlier this month that the government must seek a national referendum before completely rewriting the document.

The purpose of change was not to bring him back or to create further divisions, Thaksin said. It was "to develop Thai politics to move towards a more mature democracy. That is the key".

He added: "We're not going to split the country. We are not going to do anything to increase the conflict."

Being in Hong Kong it's really interesting that you can spot the rich Thai families easily. They go out as a large group and buy a poo poo load of iphones, electronics and onizuka tigers with a few servants doing all the carrying. And when they reserve tables at fancy restaurants they just waltz in being really late into their private room. But I prefer shady foreign dignataries coming in instead of loud obnoxious drunken mainlanders tourists.

lynch_69
Jan 21, 2001

I won't pretend to know anything about the Rohingya situation, but here in Bangladesh (at least in my limited experience) "Rohingya" is used as a derogatory term for any Bengali with Asiatic features. I've heard it jokingly used to describe Chakmas and people from the Garo Hills who, while Bangaldeshi, tend to look more Burmese/Chinese. I once asked my Garo friend about what he though of Chakmas and he promptly said they were dangerous savages who would kill you if they caught you in their territory - apparently this belief was universal among Garos who live and work in Chittagong. Both Garos and Chakmas have been alternately discriminated/hosed-over/ignored by the government in Dhaka, yet both find time to hate each other. It seems that petty tribalism is universal - even among oppressed peoples.

Edit: There are similar reports in the local papers every day - http://www.thedailystar.net/newDesign/latest_news.php?nid=39501

lynch_69 fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Jul 29, 2012

Smeef
Aug 15, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Pillbug

caberham posted:

Being in Hong Kong it's really interesting that you can spot the rich Thai families easily. They go out as a large group and buy a poo poo load of iphones, electronics and onizuka tigers with a few servants doing all the carrying. And when they reserve tables at fancy restaurants they just waltz in being really late into their private room. But I prefer shady foreign dignataries coming in instead of loud obnoxious drunken mainlanders tourists.

Bangkokians are so used to being late that I almost feel rude when I'm on time, because then the other person feels rushed. For social engagements I just plan to show up 20 minutes late. I'm not sure why they'd be buying Onitsuka Tigers, though, since they sell them in all the malls here.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
Yeah, the time thing, I've had this discussion with many people. Inside of America, people get really uptight when you start mentioning that some cultures simply don't have punctuality as a value (i.e. "Thai Time") like they interpret it as some big racial or xenophobic insult, but in the rest of the world (as I've pointed out before) the cultures who go ape poo poo over punctuality like us are the weirdos and you can count us on about two hands. Everyone else is flexible and constantly late. It's not a judgement, it's an actual fact of life.

That said, I'm American. Be on time, fuckers!

ReindeerF fucked around with this message at 14:39 on Aug 1, 2012

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Yes, because American trains are great and as punctual as German and Japanese trains :downsrim: Everybody's late, and pulling the culture card or "heavy traffic card" just makes me :rolleyes: Everyone know what rush hour is, make appointments appropriately.

I guess some people just feel insulted that when they are on time and gets lumped up with other tardy people because of being in the same culture. I think the lax time excuse is bullshit and really self serving in this modern world. You don't show up late for work, for school and you definitely want to leave work on time. Or a critical condition surgery appointment. Does the average worker in Thailand really go "Mai Pen Rai" and work 2 hours extra? And Asians are usually the paranoid ones who arrive at the airport 3 hours before departure to check in their bags. Nobody is ever late for a flight.

Heck, you go to bathroom on time before your stomach explodes. There is a sense of urgency but in my eyes people are just being a big enough of a prick to be inconsiderate.

Ugh that made me sound very angry, but it's a personal pet peeve of mine.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
One important note there is that Asians are not monolithic - Thailand is largely tropical, Korea isn't. They act differently for historical and geographical reasons. Guns, Germs & Steel and all that.

Anyway, let me put it this way, I've had candidates for job interviews do the following:

- Call in 15 minutes after the interview time to tell me "It rain today, I come soon."
- Show up an hour late and act like nothing is wrong.
- SMS 30 minutes after the interview was supposed to start to ask to reschedule.

And this is a loving job interview we're talking about, not dinner. White collar, university educated job candidates.

Total lack of punctuality is absolutely, 100% acceptable in Thai culture and it is therefore cultural. That does not mean it is optimal or that I accept it, but they're pretty much okay with it and while I'm not personally, who am I to come to a country of 70 MM people and tell them how to run things, you know? If it's a situation within my control I blow a gasket sometimes, but if it's someone else's deal then maybe I have to live with it.

One thing I know for sure is that I'm less worried about all these little things that I used to be and I smile a lot more. Part of that's because, you know, we create a lot of structure in life back home and then we get really uptight about obeying it. Here, they have their own structure, but since I don't fit in to it I have the benefit of both worlds.

Still, as I said, when it comes to personal relationships: be on time, fuckers. I never let a job interviewee re-schedule or show up late. That's moronic. Anyone who pulls that poo poo in an interview is going to be 10x worse later. It should also be said that this is hardly the only thing that will drive you nuts. Wait until you ask why someone was late - something you're not supposed to do, because then the other person might have to admit having done something wrong and tell the truth about it, which is a no no. Oi.

EDIT: The reason I don't get too worked up usually is because I enjoy the chaos. Okay, the lack of timeliness sucks. You know what's nice? When you're legally not allowed to buy beer during certain hours and the big stores observe it, but the mom and pop joints don't. You can't have one without the other, so mai bpen rai!

ReindeerF fucked around with this message at 15:07 on Aug 1, 2012

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
BOEUNG KAK LAND GRAB NEWS NOW...

http://www.sea-globe.com/Regional-Affairs/no-mans-land.html

quote:

No man's land

On June 27, 13 women walked free from prison after an appeal court ruling in the Cambodian capital. The group – an unassuming bunch of working mothers aged from 25 to 72 – were arrested in May during a peaceful protest against the development of Boeung Kak, a large natural lake in central Phnom Penh which has been filled to make way for a glitzy housing and commercial development. Since their arrest, the women have become symbols of the widespread opposition to the Boeung Kak project, and their release triggered scenes of jubilation in the few lakeside communities that still remain.

Once ringed by a bustling community of more than 4,000 families, the lake is now a massive sand bank in the city centre. More than 85% of the residents have left, in exchange for resettlement or small cash hand-outs, and the old tourist district close to the lakeside is now a forlorn strip of shuttered shop-fronts and faded hotel signs. The company behind the development is Shukaku Inc, a secretive local firm that is reportedly working with two Chinese companies on the project.

Since 2007, when Shukaku Inc signed a $79m lease with city authorities, the Boeung Kak case has become one of the most high-profile land conflicts in Cambodia – a country that has seen a massive displacement of residents to make way for lucrative development projects.

In August last year, Prime Minister Hun Sen responded to mounting public pressure by granting lakeside residents 12.44 hectares on the site. It was a victory for the community, though many households remained outside the settlement area, and the protestors – led by the intrepid group of women from the lakeside – continued to take to the streets. In response, the city authorities have dubbed the women “professional protestors”, accusing them of serving the interests of “foreigners and extremist ‘human rights’ advocates”. On June 19, it accused foreign NGO workers of stoking the Boeung Kak campaign to “request for more funding [sic] for future activities and for their own personal interests to make a good living on the back of the protesters”.

They have also resorted to more violent means. During a protest against a forced eviction in September, lake activist Soung Sophorn was beaten unconscious by police; two months later, police stomped on six women demonstrating outside Phnom Penh City Hall. In May, police also temporarily detained Venerable Luon Sovath, a Buddhist monk who has supported the lakeside campaign, and threatened to disrobe him if he did not stop his advocacy. On May 22, 13 protest leaders were arrested for illegally occupying private land, and in a swift trial held just two days later – an unprecedented turnaround for Cambodia’s poorly-resourced court system – were each sentenced to two-and-a-half years jail. One land rights activist described the proceedings as “a show trial – a complete charade”, in which lawyers representing the women were given no chance to prepare a defence.

Amid mounting local and international pressure, the Cambodian Appeal Court bowed to pressure to release the “Boeung Kak 13” – though it upheld their original convictions. Despite her stressful experience, Tep Vanny, one of the protest leaders, vowed to continue the fight. “When I had a problem, like all people I depended on the authorities, but the authorities abandoned this community,” said the 32-year-old, who has become one of the public faces of the Boeung Kak campaign. “Villagers came here with empty hands after the Pol Pot regime, and they just want a place to live.”

The Scramble for Cambodia

Despite the increased scrutiny, intense secrecy continues to surround the Boeung Kak project. Shukaku Inc, though it appears in municipal announcements, is a phantom company with no known public office address; until recently, the Yellow Pages listed its headquarters as an empty lot in central Phnom Penh, and it currently has no listing at all. The firm, however, is well-connected: according to the 2007 lease agreement, it is owned by Lao Meng Khin, a leading tycoon and senator for the ruling Cambodian People’s Party (CPP), whose wife Choeung Sopheap controls Pheaphimex, a conglomerate that has benefited handsomely from the sell-off of Cambodian land. In addition to Boeung Kak lake, Pheaphimex is developing Phnom Penh’s old Borei Keila apartment complex, which saw a violent eviction of residents in January. It also holds a massive 315,000-hectare paper plantation concession spanning Pursat and Kampong Chhnang provinces, which has prompted a string of protests from affected villagers.

But Boeung Kak may well prove to be the jewel in Pheaphimex’s crown. Real estate agents estimate the land in the area to be worth around $1,000 per square metre in its undeveloped state, a value that could double once the development is completed. This yields a total land value of between $1.3 and $2.6 billion – up to 32 times the cost of the lease. It’s still unclear what Shukaku plans to build at the lake – on its website, Phnom Penh Municipality has stated that the area will become a centre “for business, culture, tourism, housing and resorts with infrastructure such as roads, sewage system [sic], green fields and entertainment halls” – but even if no construction takes place, the firm will reap a fortune from hawking the real estate.

It is a familiar story in today’s Cambodia. Since the late 1990s, the government has leased millions of hectares of land to foreign development companies working in cahoots with local tycoons, transforming the capital and turning wild parts of rural Cambodia into a patchwork of rubber, cashew, sugar and cassava plantations. According to the local human rights group Licadho, which monitors land disputes, foreign mining and agriculture firms now control a total of 3.9 million hectares in Cambodia – 22% of the country’s surface area. Industrial agri-business leases, known as economic land concessions (ELCs), account for 53% of Cambodia’s total arable land, of which Pheaphimex controls 16% – the most of any one firm.

These ELCs have also been blamed for the evictions of thousands of farmers from their land, and have led to an escalating number of protests, arrests and violent clashes in all corners of the country. On May 16, a week before the Boeung Kak arrests, a 14-year-old girl was shot dead by security forces during a violent land altercation in Kratie province. Activists have also launched a boycott against Cambodian “blood sugar”. According to the Cambodia Clean Sugar Campaign, villagers have been forcibly cleared from thousands of hectares of sugar plantations – including ten tracts of land owned by Ly Yong Phat, another CPP senator-tycoon – during which their crops were destroyed, homes burnt down and animals shot by hired goons and state security forces.

Yim Sovann, spokesman for the opposition Sam Rainsy Party, said the government faced a rising tide of opposition over this nationwide scramble for land. “If you want to solve the problem, you must stop giving land concessions to private companies. You must give all these land concessions to the Cambodian people. The priority is our farmers. If our farmers don’t have enough land, there will be social turmoil,” he said.

Hun Sen has responded to the bad publicity by announcing a moratorium on the granting of new ELCs. His May 7 order stated that officials should “temporarily postpone providing economic land concessions” and “ensure there is no impact to community land and people’s livelihoods”. He has also appointed his second son Hun Manith – a colonel in the armed forces – as deputy head of the government’s land dispute authority. In this role, Manith will be responsible for leading a new land titling drive, announced in mid-June, that will give displaced villagers parcels of land within ELCs and state forests. Early last month, hundreds of Cambodian students, attired in military fatigues, began fanning out around the country to begin measuring up land with government land officials. Im Chhun Lim, the Minister of Land Management, has said that the titling programme will “bring the safety of land occupation, leaving the owners free of concerns and confusion”.

But some observers are sceptical, pointing out that the ban was announced just prior to important local elections in early June. “[Hun Sen] knows that the population is against the CPP now, and the result of the elections showed a lot of disagreement,” said Son Soubert, an independent political analyst.

Others have pointed out that under the terms of Hun Sen’s moratorium, “pre-approved” ELCs have still been given the green light. On May 18, Hun Sen signed off on three new rubber plantations, totaling 21,624 hectares, followed by four further ELCs encompassing 35,000 hectares – all in protected areas and wildlife sanctuaries – on June 7. Licadho director Naly Pilorge said the loophole in the moratorium was so big “it swallows the ban” – and would still give the government carte blanche to grant more concessions. “The government needed to do something in response,” she said. “Unfortunately, the response appears largely to be window dressing and could create more problems.”

Whether the new land titling drive will have positive effects also remains to be seen. “We will only be able to judge whether it is a step forward when the government clarifies the process, provides public information and we see tangible results in which the people benefit,” Pilorge said.
We've discussed this before in the thread, but I thought this was a good update on where it's at now.

My non-expert opinion is that Hun Sen has managed to stay in power as ruthlessly as he has (he basically threatens opponents when he might lose) by not over-loving the general population while presiding over the rebuilding of Cambodian society. It's still a very poor country and people are generally still not well-off, but things have been steadily improving for enough people that it's been a pretty stable country since the first election, when Hun Sen basically thugged his way into power. That doesn't mean that it's a fair country or that it's a free and open country (if you oppose him), but generally speaking it hasn't had much tumult.

This land grabbing that's been going on for a while rurally - and which has started to garner international attention with the more urban Boeung Kak land grab - is the kind of thing that will piss citizens off because it's not abstract. I think the fact that he's bothered to temper his response at all, which is unusual for Asia's most quotable and Idi Amin-like leader, is a sign that he recognizes that things have gotten out of hand. Still, as the article points out, whether that's a temporary measure designed to calm things a bit politically or whether he realizes that it's time to make land grabs a little more expensive for the grabbers is another matter entirely.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
Your non-expert opinion is pretty accurate given my own knowledge (being a resident in Phnom Penh). Well over half the country doesn't pay tax of any kind, the government varies from useless to obstructionary, but since the whole country is slowly improving most people are pretty chill about the fact that he's functionally a despot.

In less important news, my father received a medal from the Cambodian government for flood relief efforts recently. Naturally, all his Khmer friends think it's great and the expats are all cynical enough to know it's more of a "please don't withdraw your development aid! :qq:" sort of thing.

Tytan
Sep 17, 2011

u wot m8?

ungulateman posted:

Your non-expert opinion is pretty accurate given my own knowledge (being a resident in Phnom Penh). Well over half the country doesn't pay tax of any kind, the government varies from useless to obstructionary, but since the whole country is slowly improving most people are pretty chill about the fact that he's functionally a despot.

Oh cool another Phnom Penh resident. :) I think that's a grand total of 2 of us now, or 2.5 if you include ReindeerF. ;)

ReindeerF posted:

I think the fact that he's bothered to temper his response at all, which is unusual for Asia's most quotable and Idi Amin-like leader, is a sign that he recognizes that things have gotten out of hand. Still, as the article points out, whether that's a temporary measure designed to calm things a bit politically or whether he realizes that it's time to make land grabs a little more expensive for the grabbers is another matter entirely.

Yeah it does seem like even he realises things have gotten a bit too far, particularly with them measuring up land and handing out titles in the provinces. The impression I get is that they want the issue to have simmered down a bit before next year's elections.

I do think that at least some locals in PP are starting to realise the underlying problems with the country, and that a lot of the improvements are fairly superficial things to keep the population happy. Unfortunately no one really knows if the alternatives would be any better. I remember seeing an article just before the recent commune elections where they asked some of the locals what their thoughts were on the parties. Their responses were basically that they didn't know who to vote for, because every party basically said the same thing.

Anyway speaking of Boeung Kak, this article made me feel pretty disgusted today. Specifically the guy's comments:

quote:

A deputy police chief being sued for his alleged role in a pregnant woman being kicked in the stomach outside the appeal trial of the Boeung Kak 13 in June said yesterday he did not know what compensation the woman, who miscarried, wanted.

“Is the victim old or young, and does she sue me to return her kid?” Phnom Penh municipal deputy police chief Phoung Malay said. “I want to tell her that if she wants to get back her kid, I am also young,” he said.

I don't know if it's just being reported/I'm noticing it more, but I swear incidents like this are happening more often compared to 2 or 3 years back. :(

Smeef
Aug 15, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Pillbug

caberham posted:

I guess some people just feel insulted that when they are on time and gets lumped up with other tardy people because of being in the same culture. I think the lax time excuse is bullshit and really self serving in this modern world. You don't show up late for work, for school and you definitely want to leave work on time. Or a critical condition surgery appointment. Does the average worker in Thailand really go "Mai Pen Rai" and work 2 hours extra? And Asians are usually the paranoid ones who arrive at the airport 3 hours before departure to check in their bags. Nobody is ever late for a flight.

Actually, I find that in Bangkok (and found while working in Vietnam) that yes, local staff show up late all the time, return from lunch late all the time, and work later than everyone else to make up for it. Obviously if it's something really important, then yes, people show up on time. But the idea that it's a mortal sin to show up 10 minutes late to work doesn't really exist, and rightfully so.

That said, dealing with suppliers in Thailand is pretty much the worst thing ever. They say it'll be done in two weeks. You put in a deposit. SIX MONTHS LATER there's still not a prototype. "Oh, well, Uncle Dej has been sick and he has the molds, but I'm going to visit his cousin next week and ask if he can give me the key to his house, because he has it as his house." Inability to come even close to meeting deadlines is one of a few major reasons no one is boned up about manufacturing in Thailand anymore.

Smeef fucked around with this message at 11:16 on Aug 5, 2012

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
Let us also note, in passing, the constant borrowing of authority from up the chain in every situation.

"P'Lek say you hab to do."

"Mmm. I talk P'Noi and P'Noi say P'Lek say not do."

"Mai chai, I talk P'Lek after talk P'Noi and P'Jib for tell you to do."

"MMmmMmmmm"

"I go talk P'Noi"

"Thank ka."

There's a certain amount of "Well, the boss said" that goes on anywhere, but I've never seen any place like Thailand for this. I've seen entire email chains that are like 15 back of forth timewasters of my P versus your P instead of someone just loving accomplishing something. Part of it's fear of either disobeying or outshining your P, but part of it's also just, "Hey, here's a great way to sit around playing with Facebook for a while longer."

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
The Philippines' infamous Reproductive Health bill is being voted on today! After 16 years of deliberations (around the bill's various forms), our congressmen are finally going to vote on... whether or not it should be trashed entirely or amended and voted on some more. :geno:

Really though, I hope this goddamn thing passes. The Church has exerted so much pressure on politicians to go against it, but I think we have a fair chance.

The RH bill has provisions for age-appropriate sex education, subsidized contraceptives for the poor, proper prenatal and postnatal care for mothers, as well as care for women who have complications arising from abortion (which is still illegal here).

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
Ah yeah, I saw that in the news - I hope it passes too! God, if ever a country needed it, it's the Phils.

Out of curiosity, is the pushback entirely from the Catholic overlords or do the conglomeration of Muslim groups on Mindanao have something against it too? I only ever hear about the Catholics pushing against it.

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
And the Lord said, "Look, they are one people, and they have all one language; and this is only the beginning of what they will do; nothing that they propose to do will now be impossible for them.
Abortion isn't a sin in Islam if it's done before four months, and non-permanent forms of contraception are okay, so I don't see why they would be against it.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
I'm sure they're thrilled about sex education in their schools too!

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

In general, the Muslim community is nowhere near as rabidly against it as the Catholic Church is. There are groups of them here and there that come out against it, but I certainly don't hear imams blathering on about its evils every day. I'm told there was an official statement of support from some Islamic groups, but I can't find a source for that.

Surprisingly, the Iglesia Ni Cristo, which is pretty much a Christian cult, is in favor of the RH bill. I don't know why, but I'll take what we can get. The INC is a huge constituency.

Update! Some congressman has taken the stand and said his interpellation is not over! Right this second he's going wild about contraceptives leading to cancer and "permissive sex", the bill being "against faith", and right now he seems very intent on delaying the vote as long as he can.

edit: "it is against public religion"

Argue fucked around with this message at 10:26 on Aug 6, 2012

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Filibustering is filibustering, no matter where in the world.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
Maybe the residents of Mindanao can help drag the rest of the country into the present century, heh.

So what's the process there? This time the vote gets it to the upper chamber and then it goes to committee and then Noynoy has to sign it or how does it work? I know a bit about the government there from reading about it during Gloria's time when I was around, but I don't really know too much.

EDIT: Bonus points if every condom comes with "On This Site Will Rise" printed on it.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I'm not entirely clear on the process, but this vote ends (or is supposed to end) the period of sponsorship and debate. After that, assuming they don't junk it entirely--and I think there's a slim chance of it being junked--there should be a third reading, during which they make amendments (which I hope don't mangle it beyond recognition). Following that is the final vote which theoretically should finally end it, but I'm not putting it beyond them to try pulling something afterwards, if it gets that far.

Pureauthor posted:

Filibustering is filibustering, no matter where in the world.

Seriously. The majority leader, Tito Sotto, "threatened" to resign his post so he could be a regular senator and filibuster it some more. In his words, "As majority leader, I still schedule discussions on the RH bill (despite my objections to it). But as a regular senator, I could just throw a monkey wrench at the bill."

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
Well, if it makes you feel any better (it won't) abortion's still illegal here in the condom capital of Southeast Asia. Seems Buddhists are 50% more rational than Catholics, heh.

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

Argue posted:

I'm not entirely clear on the process, but this vote ends (or is supposed to end) the period of sponsorship and debate. After that, assuming they don't junk it entirely--and I think there's a slim chance of it being junked--there should be a third reading, during which they make amendments (which I hope don't mangle it beyond recognition). Following that is the final vote which theoretically should finally end it, but I'm not putting it beyond them to try pulling something afterwards, if it gets that far.

Seriously. The majority leader, Tito Sotto, "threatened" to resign his post so he could be a regular senator and filibuster it some more. In his words, "As majority leader, I still schedule discussions on the RH bill (despite my objections to it). But as a regular senator, I could just throw a monkey wrench at the bill."

What are the opinion polls like on it? Is that kind of hard line stance a vote winner?

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

Polls say that the majority of Filipinos are in favor of the bill, though the Church releases propaganda that says otherwise. I can't say for certain if that hardline stance is a vote winner, but I'm going to say yes. Not to mention that he'll have an easy time getting votes since he's one of the many famous tv personalities who decided to run for office.

Anyway, debates are finally over! 182 out of the 231 congressmen in attendance voted to end the debates and move it forward for a third reading! This is a good thing!

Highlights from the congressman who was trying to stall:
"Move the vote to August 7 because 6 is unlucky--7 is holy, 6 is the devil."
"The RH bill has been railroaded" (in what universe is 16 years of filibustering "railroading")
"Christianity has existed for 4000 years, Catholicism has existed for 2000 years…I object to the RH Bill."

He also tried to get the house to do nominal voting, where voting is done by roll call and each person is able to explain their vote. As far as I can tell this didn't go anywhere and some other congressmen got furious with him.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

Argue posted:

"Christianity has existed for 4000 years, Catholicism has existed for 2000 years…I object to the RH Bill."
Haha, what? The Earth is only 6,000 years old, where does this guy get his data?

Seriously, good luck with the bill, I really hope it passes. It's not a cure-all, but it's about time The Phils joined the modern world when it comes to birth control and the like. Next step: depose all the ruling families and hang them from one of the foot bridge overpasses in Makati.

Tytan
Sep 17, 2011

u wot m8?
So Hun Sen gave a 5 hour speech today, which was broadcast on all channels (they apparently even set up TVs in markets and bus stations so everyone could watch, which is a bit creepy).

Anyway, he focused on the border issues with Vietnam, and spoke about what is probably my favourite strategy from him yet:

http://business.inquirer.net/75839/casinos-secret-strategy-to-protect-cambodia-pm

quote:

Casinos ‘secret strategy’ to protect Cambodia

PHNOM PENH—Cambodian Prime Minister Hun Sen on Thursday said allowing the construction of a spate of border casinos was part of a “secret strategy” to protect the country’s territory from its neighbors.

“I don’t like casinos, but the biggest goal for giving permission to build casinos is to protect the border,” he told parliament during a five-hour speech addressing border demarcation issues with Vietnam.

“One can remove border markers, but one can’t remove five-story hotels. Don’t be stupid,” Hun Sen said, in response to opposition criticism that the gambling dens were harmful to the country.

Cambodia’s border with Vietnam and Thailand is dotted with dozens of casinos and accompanying hotels catering mostly to foreign gamblers since Cambodians are not legally allowed to gamble.

“You force me to talk about it. This should be a secret strategy to protect the nation,” the strongman premier said in typically feisty fashion.

Hun Sen used the marathon address, which was broadcast live on television, to deny longstanding claims from the main opposition party that his government was allowing Vietnam to encroach on Cambodian territory.

Cambodia and Vietnam officially began demarcating their 1,270-kilometer (790-mile) border in September 2006 after decades of territorial disputes stemming from French colonial times.

According to Hun Sen some 700 kilometers have been demarcated so far.

In all seriousness though, does anyone have a good perspective from the Vietnam side of things? Over here the Vietnam/Cambodia land exchanges are a bit of a touchy subject. It was always one of the points the PM's opposition would attack him on, with the extreme end of that being people accusing him of being a Vietnamese puppet (seriously, some of the anti-government Khmer blogs can be kinda scary).

Tytan fucked around with this message at 12:37 on Aug 9, 2012

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
Haha, gently caress, you beat me to it - I saw the story on my iPhone while I was out and couldn't post it. Holy poo poo Hun Sen is amazing. There should be a crack team of English speakers following him and translating stuff at all times. I will personally salute one of his various mansions when I arrive next week.

FIVE HOURS OF HUN SEN. This would almost certainly be more entertaining than Eurovision, at minimum.

-neutrino-
Nov 4, 2008
What? Build line of casinos to mark the border? As a 'secret' strategy?

PotatoJudge
May 22, 2004

Tell me about the rabbits, George

-neutrino- posted:

What? Build line of casinos to mark the border? As a 'secret' strategy?

If Vietnamese are too busy putting their dongs into Cambodian slot machines they won't have time to invade.

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

PotatoJudge posted:

If Vietnamese are too busy putting their dongs into Cambodian slot machines they won't have time to invade.

Dongs and slots indeed?

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
Hello SEA thread! I live in Thai Town in Los Angeles. Last night there was a big angry protest mob of Thais who don't like someone named Thaksin yelling across the street at another big angry mob of Thais who love him.

How are Southeast Asian immigrants to America viewed? It seems like the local Thais are still very involved with Thai politics and the like, at least.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

Pellisworth posted:

Hello SEA thread! I live in Thai Town in Los Angeles. Last night there was a big angry protest mob of Thais who don't like someone named Thaksin yelling across the street at another big angry mob of Thais who love him.
Yeah, that made big news over here. There were apparently a number of non-Thais there who were protesting him too (my Facebook Thai friends are all anti-Thaksin, so this got posted). It was already a big deal that the US let him in, since he's technically a fugitive here (from charges brought by a military junta, so whatever).

Pellisworth posted:

How are Southeast Asian immigrants to America viewed? It seems like the local Thais are still very involved with Thai politics and the like, at least.
You mean how are they viewed here in SE Asia? Or how are they viewed in America? The latter depends heavily on who they are, why they immigrated and their prevalence and how they're viewed for day-to-day reasons in a particular area. In my tiny non-incorporated home county we had a Khmer (Cambodian) colony that were re-settled after the war (I didn't put this together as a young kid, but that's what it was). I think most people thought they were Mexican, frankly. Now they run all the kolache shops and everyone seems to like them. If you go down to the Gulf Coast, tons of Vietnamese settled there and took up shrimping, which is pretty similar to what they did back home. They were not welcomed with open arms (see the movie Alamo Bay for examples) and some of them ended up having their boats burned and being run out of business. I think things are much calmer these days after they've been integrating for a generation, though (still not perfect, I'm sure, but not KKK-boat-burning-bad).

The former depends on some of the same things. Older South Vietnamese who emigrated after the war tend to be violently anti-North Vietnam still and I'm guessing they're viewed by some back in Vietnam as troublemakers. I dunno. Every once in a while that poo poo flares up. A few years ago some guy opened a video shop in Little Saigon or whatever it's called and had a North Vietnamese flag in the window and the locals all came and basically tore his shop up.

ReindeerF fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Aug 13, 2012

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
Ah, so Thaksin was actually visiting? That makes sense as to why there were protests and such.

I guess I didn't ask a very specific question w/r/t Thai and other SEA immigrants. That's also probably a huge and complex topic. The Thai community here in LA seems to be pretty big, and I know as a city supposedly our Korean population is the largest outside of Korea, etc. Since you're in Thailand, let's stick with that for now. What is the general relationship between Thais in Thailand and the various immigrant communities? Do you have any idea of the history of Thai emigration to the USA, for example are many of them fairly recent refugees of the military junta, or is there another major driver of Thai -> US immigration?

I ask because the Thai community here seems a lot less rooted/established than the other big Asian ethnic enclaves in LA. Just kinda curious as to how that dynamic works!

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
Ah, okay. I'm not an expert on that, but I can give you my opinion. The Thai immigrant community anywhere is going to be there due to A) marriage B) pursuit of general economic opportunity C) work/academic stuff. Thailand was never really colonized (asterisk for co-administration with Imperial Japan) and it was never really at war in any meaningful way in the last century or so, so there's no exodus of people fleeing colonial oppression or foreign invaders or what have you. For the same reasons, it's a largely homogenous and insular country in spite of all the foreign tourism. There's very little meaningful English penetration and most folks don't know much about the outside world (like on a level that would make Americans seem keen and aware), at the same time the education system is designed to heavily emphasize nationalism and duty to the monarchy, which is probably why Thailand's the only other free country I've been to where people are - of their own volition - about as jingoistic, and fly as many flags as they do in America, heh.

They've just sort of been puttering along being satisfied Thais, with a massive growth curve ramping up beginning when the Americans show up and invest a ton of money in exchange for letting the US run its wars against Indochina from Thailand. This culminates in Thailand being the fastest growing country in the world for most of the 1990s and that's when things really start to change quickly, with more and more Thais educated internationally and financially capable of migrating to do business. Prior to that it was probably marriage and the occasional academic or economic migrant, but the communities weren't nearly as prevalent as those from Asian countries fleeing some form of insanity (e.g. Communist China, French Occupation of Indochina, America's War against in Vietnam/Laos/Cambodia, Khmer Rouge, North Vietnamese Occupation of South Vietnam, Korean War, etc).

That's all just my opinion.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Here's two other Malaysian news sources you might find useful.

http://thestar.com.my/
Malaysia's largest English-language newspaper. The Star is apparently owned by the Malaysian Chinese Association, the Chinese arm of the ruling government. However, unlike Utusan Malaysia (under control of the majority-Malay portion of the government), it tends to be less partisan. It appears to be liberal-leaning too, so articles and editorials critical of things like the Malay-favoring affirmative action are published from time to time.

http://www.sinarharian.com.my/
This one is in Malay only for now, but it is possibly the only newspaper in the country not to be under the influence of any political party. Both government and opposition gets more or less the same kind of coverage, and editorials can be supportive or critical of either (even Anwar Ibrahim's own daughter has a weekly column in it).

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
We get about one of these a year and this one (so far) lives up to the exact pattern:

http://gma.yahoo.com/blogs/abc-blogs/red-bull-heir-suspected-fatal-hit-run-194539696--abc-news-topstories.html

quote:

Red Bull Heir Suspected in Fatal Hit-and-Run

An heir to the Red Bull energy drink fortune was arrested after he fatally hit a policeman with his Ferrari, dragging the officer's body down a Bangkok street early this morning, police said.

Vorayuth Yoovidhya, 27, admitted to investigators that he had been behind the wheel of his Ferrari when he struck the policeman, but claimed the officer had abruptly cut him off, the Associated Press reported.

Oil streaks stretching several blocks led police to a gated estate owned by the Red Bull family, local media reported.

Once a family lawyer was present, police searched the grounds, where they found the damaged Ferrari, which was taken to the Thing Lor police station as evidence, the Bangkok Post reported.

A log book keeping track of the family's vehicles also indicated Yoovidhya had been behind the wheel at the time of the accident, despite the fact a household employee tried to take responsibility, the newspaper reported.

Yoovidhya's lawyer said his client was still in shock and that he was prepared to offer funeral expenses and compensation, the Bangkok Post reported.

The 27-year-old faces charges of causing death by reckless driving and escaping an arrest.

The Yoovidhya family has a net worth of $5.4 billion, according to an August 2012 estimate by Forbes, and is the fourth richest family in Thailand.
It's difficult to know yet what happened exactly, but the driver's behavior is classic for a spoiled child of the wealthy Thai elite class. Runs over someone, basically ignores that fact, doesn't seem too concerned about leaving evidence and then tries to get the (surely underpaid) household help to take the blame. There's a tiny chance that the victim being a policeman (the police here are often labeled the country's largest mafia) there may be some kind of justice, but it's doubtful and more likely that the usual payoff will occur. Moo Ham (linked to below) was an extraordinary case where there was actually a full trial and a sentencing of a wealthy Thai brat, but he hasn't served a day of it and he never will.

Here are some notable past cases:

http://www.bangkokpost.com/news/local/239838/man-sentenced-to-life-for-murder

http://www.bangkokpost.com/print/296746/

http://webcache.googleusercontent.c...lient=firefox-a

Last one's a google cache link as the story's been scrubbed - she's from a wealthy family with a surname indicating links (however far removed) to the country's nobility. Stories often get munged later here.

I suppose if something non-tabloid about this is to be drawn, it's just how hilarious the concept of justice is in Thailand. On a social level, though, the way this kind of thing plays out every single time is among the most sickening examples of how developing countries with a large wealth disparity operate.

On that note, it's what troubles me so much about watching America plummet toward this. You destroy the faith in institutions and create a society where a small percentage of people control enormous wealth, while average folks have less and less, and you'll see more and more of this kind of thing.

ReindeerF fucked around with this message at 14:46 on Sep 4, 2012

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
Saddam Hun Sen pulls another one out of his hat:

quote:

China gives Cambodia aid and thanks for ASEAN help

PHNOM PENH (Reuters) - China has pledged more than $500 million in soft loans and grants to Cambodia and Prime Minister Wen Jiabao thanked it for helping Beijing maintain good relations with the regional grouping ASEAN, a Cambodian junior minister said.

A summit of the 10 members of the Association of Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN) in July failed to issue a joint communique for the first time in the group's 45-year history after disagreement over the wording of a section on territorial claims in the South China Sea.

Cambodia, which chairs ASEAN meetings this year, was accused by some countries in the group of stonewalling in support of its ally, China.

The South China Sea has become Asia's biggest potential military flashpoint. China's claim over the huge area has in particular set it against ASEAN members Vietnam and the Philippines.

Four loan agreements for unspecified projects worth about $420 million were signed when Cambodian Prime Minister Hun Sen visited China over the weekend, Secretary of State for Finance Aun Porn Moniroth told a briefing late on Monday.

Another three loan agreements, worth more than $80 million, are expected to be signed this year, Aun Porn Moniroth said, adding that Wen had also promised a grant of 150 million yuan ($24 million) as "a gift" for Cambodia to use on any priority project.

"The Chinese government also voiced high appreciation for the part played by Cambodia as the chair of ASEAN to maintain good cooperation between China and ASEAN," Aun Porn Moniroth said.

According to China's Xinhua state news agency, Wen said China "will closely coordinate with Cambodia and support the country to make the upcoming series of meetings for East Asian leaders a success". Those meeting are in Cambodia in November.

Chinese investment in Cambodia totaled $1.9 billion last year, more than double the combined investment by ASEAN countries and 10 times more than the United States, which is trying to extend its influence in the region.

Aun Porn Moniroth said Premier Wen had given "positive consideration" to Hun Sen's proposal that China provide new loans of between $300 million to $500 million per year for the next five years for unspecified projects.

He also said a Chinese firm planned to invest $2 billion to build a steel plant in Cambodia employing about 10,000 people and with the capacity to produce 3 million tons of steel a year. He gave no details so it was not possible to verify how far advanced the plans were.
Guy's loving cagey, he's got the US and China both plying him with poo poo and he's making the most of it.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
I'd just like to chime in that I currently live in Indonesia (Java specifically) as part of the Peace Corps so while it doesn't make me an expert I do have first hand experience with the country, or at least this island.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

ReindeerF posted:

Saddam Hun Sen pulls another one out of his hat:
Guy's loving cagey, he's got the US and China both plying him with poo poo and he's making the most of it.

Well, that approach also paid for the Non-Aligned Movement during the Cold War. That said I didn't expect that blatant "bought and paid for" line with regards to the support at ASEAN.

• Locked thread