Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Udelar
Feb 17, 2007

as the free-fall advances
I'm the moron who dances

Grimey Drawer
I need some help with something, and this thread kind of seems like it might have the most knowledgeable people to give me advice.

My father-in-law came back home after breaking his hip and doing 3 months in a rehab facility. He's 86, and while his mind is still pretty sharp and quick, he doesn't really have any ability to learn a new process for doing things.

We have a Samsung Smart TV. He likes to watch, pretty much, the stuff he used to watch when it was on TV. Basically he remembers something on the order of 50 shows, give or take, that he enjoys. Think along the lines of Murder She Wrote, the original Adam West Batman, Columbo, original Star Trek, etc. He pays for all the shows he wants to watch. He's led a good life and has significant savings.

Anyway, the thing we're dealing with, is that he can't really handle the navigation that's necessary for finding a show. And, even though I work from home, I can't be his constant TV companion and help him when he wants to put on Columbo for the thousandth time, and it's moved from Freevee to Pluto or whatever. He is capable of using the voice remote on the Samsung, saying the name of a show, and following that to Amazon Prime. But he can't handle having 5-7 streaming services. The Samsung defaults him to VUDU now, and this has kind of been a nightmare because he forgets how to find stuff on Amazon. And navigating the menus is hard for him as he has Parkinson's.

We want him to be comfortable in his final years, months, or however long he has remaining, and this is a major way that he passes the time. Frankly, we much prefer this over what he used to do, which was sit there with Fox News blasting 18 hours a day. Does anyone have advice for how we can help him make this process easier? I've got some time off coming up to help work on a solution for him. We want him to be able to voice search something he knows, go to a single place where his content is, and play it. Is there something like that out there? We're trying to keep him from doing things like wasting his money buying the Spanish version of a movie (he did that recently with Patton) and make use of the streaming services he already has.

Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I want to say an Apple TV would be good but the problem is some of the services don’t let Apple hook into them with searches (looking at you Netflix).

You can just tell Siri to find something and she will if it’s on one of the services that the company lets use it.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
The Apple TV's TV app kind of works as a service aggregator, in that it’ll show you a bunch of shows you watch and if you click on “watch Columbo” it’ll open the app that you’ve used to watch Columbo. Might want to look at that.

Last I checked it didn’t work for every streaming service, though.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

The easiest is probably setting up a plex server and downloading all the shows onto a dedicated server. I’m not sure how the plex app does with voice commands but he’ll have all his shows in one place so he can hopefully use the remote.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

jabro posted:

The easiest is probably setting up a plex server and downloading all the shows onto a dedicated server. I’m not sure how the plex app does with voice commands but he’ll have all his shows in one place so he can hopefully use the remote.

In a similar fashion, if he literally wants the same shows over and over, I'd buy a Raspberry Pi with a 512GB or 1TB SD card, put something like LibreElec on there, and then download the shows he wants to the device itself using Kodi. You could rip old DVD sets or whatever works to get the shows on there, and then let him use that. Not 100% sure on the voice search, but this is what I've done for my own parents at their camp with movies and TV shows and it works for them.

If you do want streaming services, I'd probably get an nVidia Shield, add storage to it with the 512GB or 1TB SD card, download the Kodi app and add all the shows that way. It's pretty much the same as above, but you could also add whatever streaming services you want and just use the Kodi app for those old TV shows.

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

Here is a little project I decided to work on since I had a few spare Raspberry Pi 4's, I picked up a used Hauppage branded X-Box One OTA tuner on eBay for $30 and set up TVHeadEnd on a spare RPI and an IPTV management tool called Cabernet to scrape and ingest Pluto TV feeds and guide data.

It was a little bit of work because most documentation is either outdated or just has bits and pieces located in a million different places. TVHeadEnd is basically broken on anything above 18.04 Ubuntu due to changes of how users/groups worked. Cabernet documentation is non-existent or just flat out wrong in some places, so I ended up spinning it up in docker and figuring it out that way. The end result is pretty good, I have access to everything via Jellyfin (if I'm traveling) and Kodi which I prefer locally with the JF plugin + native TVHeadEnd

I did document most of what I did maybe i'll write it up with screenshots and more step-by-step instructions in the future.

Cabernet: https://github.com/cabernetwork/cabernet/releases

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

As the operator of a needlessly excessive IPTV solution in Plex (using Threadfin to combine my HDHR tuner, DizqueTV, ErsatzTV, and my IPTV service via m3u4u and EPG Best) it’s always fun to see other people’s solutions in this space. It can feel so satisfying when things come together!

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

EL BROMANCE posted:

As the operator of a needlessly excessive IPTV solution in Plex (using Threadfin to combine my HDHR tuner, DizqueTV, ErsatzTV, and my IPTV service via m3u4u and EPG Best) it’s always fun to see other people’s solutions in this space. It can feel so satisfying when things come together!

it's a great feeling when it passes the partner and/or parents test.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Does Saturday Night live on Apple TV+ include the cold open every week? I want to watch last night's cold open, but I'm in :canada: and having a hard time finding it.

Edit: apparently not :(

TITTIEKISSER69 fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Jan 29, 2024

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

TITTIEKISSER69 posted:

Does Saturday Night live on Apple TV+ include the cold open every week? I want to watch last night's cold open, but I'm in :canada: and having a hard time finding it.

Edit: apparently not :(

Seriously? You get SNL but they cut out the cold open? How weird.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Croatoan posted:

Seriously? You get SNL but they cut out the cold open? How weird.

I was reading the summaries and some of them mention the cold open, but not this past one. Bit the bullet to check and no joy.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

TITTIEKISSER69 posted:

I was reading the summaries and some of them mention the cold open, but not this past one. Bit the bullet to check and no joy.

Should be on YouTube under their name, it’s the NFL one.

https://youtu.be/hjlIFPJUL5Q?si=CbEmAsJzhGOP8S0O

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Silly Burrito posted:

Should be on YouTube under their name, it’s the NFL one.

https://youtu.be/hjlIFPJUL5Q?si=CbEmAsJzhGOP8S0O

"The uploader has not made this video available in your country"

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

TITTIEKISSER69 posted:

"The uploader has not made this video available in your country"

Country lockouts suck, sorry about that.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

This is why the only true option is to steal everything until they put out a product that is better.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

EL BROMANCE posted:

This is why the only true option is to steal everything until they put out a product that is better.

:hmmyes:

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Prime showed me an ad so I canceled it. Time to join the burgeoning NAS crew.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

Man, I realized that it has been almost 13 years since we got rid of cable and then it blew my mind how things have changed (but this thread called it over a decade ago).

We started streaming after my daughter was born. We used Netflix and Hulu (did Bing Rewards which gave us a free month of Hulu every month). There were only a few streaming options but every major channel website allowed you to watch their shows so we hooked a laptop up to the tv. I became the person that friends and family would ask when it came to cutting cable. Those two streaming options (and the little extra website streaming) were all that we needed to keep up to date and entertained.

Over the decade plus, the options have expanded greatly. Everything has been separated into their own walled gardens and those gardens have gotten more and more expensive. Hulu will probably be gone in a a year or two as it gets absorbed into Disney+. Netflix has more random Korean shows than anything else it seems (and is now on the top of our list to drop). Cable replacements (beyond Sling) have became numerous. Every individual sports team is looking at setting up their own streaming service (if they have not already….gently caress you Cubs).

I do not know where we head from here (hell, it seemed like streaming could have been a fad) but I appreciate all of the info this thread has given over the years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

https://twitter.com/MittenDAmour/status/1781752084750074140

@MittenDAmour posted:

Can’t remember who told me this but it’s fixed the blight of Netflix playing tiny mouse fart dialogue audio drowned behind trumpeting background noise.

It thinks your TV is surround sound, so change this from English [Original] 5.1 to just English [Original]. You’re welcome.