Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PassTheRemote
Mar 15, 2007

Number 6 holds The Village record in Duck Hunt.

The first one to kill :laugh: wins.

Twenty Four posted:

Gravity Falls Season 2: The Shack is Back

YES!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Alan Smithee posted:

Jesus this Mystery of GF person is apparently in my city or very very dedicated. Here's a ghetto rear end bootleg version of the clip.

Kind of sad they would post that after the audience was asked not to record anything.

Hopefully he didn't get the Bill sequence.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

FilthyImp posted:

Kind of sad they would post that after the audience was asked not to record anything.

Hopefully he didn't get the Bill sequence.

It looks like any sequence that wasn't fully animated didn't get filmed. It's honestly worth a look because who knows if they'll even put it on dvd extras. Who knows if they'll even release a friggin dvd.

What might end up happening is they reuse some of it for a later episode though

El Tortuga
Apr 27, 2007

ˇTerrible es el Guerrero de Tortuga!
All I know is after how long I've waited for season 2, I want as much of it to be new to me as possible.

MACAW.AVI
Dec 1, 2013
I was re-watching "Dreamscaperers" yesterday, and it occurred to me: did the squiggles that flashed in Bill's eye ever get deciphered?

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Twenty Four posted:

Gravity Falls Season 2: The Shack is Back

Let's make this happen

pksage
Jul 2, 2009

You are an experience!
Make sure you're a good experience.

MACAW.AVI posted:

I was re-watching "Dreamscaperers" yesterday, and it occurred to me: did the squiggles that flashed in Bill's eye ever get deciphered?

Yes. http://gravityfalls.wikia.com/wiki/Dreamscaperers#Series_continuity

In general, if you see a thing, some GF nerd has figured it out. It's been a long wait since the end of season 1.

MACAW.AVI
Dec 1, 2013

pksage posted:

Yes. http://gravityfalls.wikia.com/wiki/Dreamscaperers#Series_continuity

In general, if you see a thing, some GF nerd has figured it out. It's been a long wait since the end of season 1.

I didn't see anything on the page about this, though:

pksage
Jul 2, 2009

You are an experience!
That's the alchemical symbol for "composition", and is one of the symbols Stan uses for the elevator to the secret lab (also pictured in journal 3).

As for what it actually means in context, that's anyone's guess. Bill being the result of some alchemical experiment gone wrong seems legit enough to me. Perhaps that symbol in particular will have more meaning to us later on.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
If someone who is less lazy than me does make a new thread, it should totally include some of this mysterious mystical symbolism stuff in the OP. That's what got me into Gravity Falls in the first place.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
It really needs to have "THE PORTAL WHEN COMPLETED WILL OPEN A GATEWAY TO INFINITE NEW WORLDS AND HERALD A NEW ERA IN MANKIND’S UNDERSTANDING OF THE UNIVERSE. PLUS, IT WILL PROBABLY GET GIRLS TO START TALKING TO ME FINALLY." which is my favorite cipher in the show. The caps are important.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

counterfeitsaint posted:

It really needs to have "THE PORTAL WHEN COMPLETED WILL OPEN A GATEWAY TO INFINITE NEW WORLDS AND HERALD A NEW ERA IN MANKIND’S UNDERSTANDING OF THE UNIVERSE. PLUS, IT WILL PROBABLY GET GIRLS TO START TALKING TO ME FINALLY." which is my favorite cipher in the show. The caps are important.

OP seems to be gone, so I nominate you since you actually have an av from the show

Sithsaber
Apr 8, 2014

by Ion Helmet
I know that most of the show 's iconography and symbolism has a alchemical/illuminati vibe, but alot of scribbles almost seem like voodoo veve
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Veve or something slightly tied to something bullshittily indigenous to the region. I keep thinking that there are similar native american symbols but I've never been an expert (I used to wikisurf) and I could have just played too much assassins creed/ breezed over comparative theology, thoughtforms and grimoires.

pksage
Jul 2, 2009

You are an experience!

Alan Smithee posted:

OP seems to be gone, so I nominate you since you actually have an av from the show

:smith:

(This is probably the only possible time where I could bring up my avatar's cipher, which is not super complicated but I will still give you an internet high five if you figure it out.)

counterfeitsaint's suggestion and a link to the GF wiki are probably enough for the meta-content. The wiki has been pretty good about staying on top of it. When Search for the Blindeye was going daily, they had everything up super fast.

edit: Speaking of, it looks like Search for the Blindeye is doing stuff again! The fact that the season 2 premiere wasn't added until it was publicly known is more evidence for it just being a fan thing, though. I mean, technically it does nothing to falsify the "secretly Alex Hirsch even though he denied it" theory, but...

pksage fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Jun 18, 2014

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
I was going to try and write a new OP, but if anyone else wants to try and give it a crack feel free, since I'm terrible at that sort of thing.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
I'm lazy and I'm sure I'd gently caress up an OP. While that isn't really a good reason to pass, I'd rather not gently caress up an OP for something that is actually good, and I'd feel bad if my terribleness actually turned someone away from the show.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

counterfeitsaint posted:

I'm lazy and I'm sure I'd gently caress up an OP. While that isn't really a good reason to pass, I'd rather not gently caress up an OP for something that is actually good, and I'd feel bad if my terribleness actually turned someone away from the show.

Looks like you're up

Nick_326
Nov 3, 2011

History's Latest Monster
Do we need a new thread for the new season? I'm more of a lurker here on SA, so I don't know if that's the standard procedure or whatever.

If we do make a new thread, I would suggest including these AMAs from show creator Alex Hirsch and creative director/writer Michael Rianda:

http://www.reddit.com/r/gravityfalls/comments/1kgq85/i_am_alex_hirsch_creator_of_gravity_falls_ask_me/

http://www.reddit.com/r/gravityfalls/comments/zzyin/im_michael_rianda_cartoonist_and_creative/

News Stuff:

- Hirsch posted a picture of him with some weird guy and oh my gosh please let this be a hint of a future episode.

- Looks like we're getting some action figures!

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
Plush Waddles and Barfing Gnome? Oh my god, I need to own those.

pksage
Jul 2, 2009

You are an experience!
I'm on the case of Something Awful anomaly #502, the New Gravity Falls OP. I'll make a point to include stuff like those AMAs, Nick_326, thanks!

VVV Very lame reference to the bad gateway thing.

pksage fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Jun 18, 2014

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

THAT GOD DAMN MOSQUITO JUST KEEPS COMING BACK
^^
e: Ah, ok, forgot about that.

pksage posted:

Something Awful anomaly #502, the New Gravity Falls OP.

Only 502? I would think SA would be up to at least several thousand anomalies by now.

m2pt5 fucked around with this message at 07:13 on Jun 19, 2014

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Merchandising and new episodes. I guess Gravity Falls future is looking good.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Say Nothing posted:

Merchandising and new episodes. I guess Gravity Falls future is looking good.

Whomever runs Disney Merchandizing missed releasing a blu-ray set right around now to hype S2.

VibrantPareidolia
Oct 12, 2012

Nick_326 posted:

News Stuff:

- Hirsch posted a picture of him with some weird guy and oh my gosh please let this be a hint of a future episode.

I hope he just shows up as himself, like in that Scooby Doo/Batman crossover episode

JesseHechtCREATIVE
Feb 20, 2013

​ Creative New Content Weekly

Cuisine
Reviews
Entertainment
Animation
Toys
Images
Videogames
Everything!
Anyone know how to extract and avatarify Bill Cipher floating on the countdown site? Help a dude out! Thanks!

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
So while the forums were down, I used the time to rewatch the show (also we had massive storms here, so I was stuck inside anyway) and caught a few things I'd missed.

The time traveller was voiced by Justin Roiland and sounded a HELL of a lot like Mr Meseeks.

Also, in the very first episode, Dipper looks into the journal to find information on gnomes and how to defeat them. But that section of the journal is blank.

In the end, Dipper and Mabel are able to use a leaf blower to turn the head gnome into a projectile and 'blow away' all the other gnomes.

In the final episode, when Dipper and Mabel try to take back the shack, they enlist the help of the gnomes and we get this brief flash of the journal:

They'd filled in the journal :allears:

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
So I’m volunteering at my church’s Vacation Bible School this week, and one of the things we’re talking about is how it’s ok to be different. Last night, when I said “does anyone here watch ‘Gravity Falls,’” I had a lot of kids (2nd to 6th grade) shoot their hands up.

“And what did Mabel say when she got Waddles the Pig?”

No joke, I was expecting a few kids to say “Everything is different now.”

Instead, imagine one hundred kids screaming “OH MY GOSH A PIG!”

:3:

CuddleChunks
Sep 18, 2004

CobiWann posted:

So I’m volunteering at my church’s Vacation Bible School this week, and one of the things we’re talking about is how it’s ok to be different. Last night, when I said “does anyone here watch ‘Gravity Falls,’” I had a lot of kids (2nd to 6th grade) shoot their hands up.

“And what did Mabel say when she got Waddles the Pig?”

No joke, I was expecting a few kids to say “Everything is different now.”

Instead, imagine one hundred kids screaming “OH MY GOSH A PIG!”

:3:

Hahahah that's adorable. Good job, kids.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

Guess who just marathoned the whole thing, including shorts?
I did. I'm glad I did it.

Sithsaber
Apr 8, 2014

by Ion Helmet

pksage posted:

That's the alchemical symbol for "composition", and is one of the symbols Stan uses for the elevator to the secret lab (also pictured in journal 3).

As for what it actually means in context, that's anyone's guess. Bill being the result of some alchemical experiment gone wrong seems legit enough to me. Perhaps that symbol in particular will have more meaning to us later on.

Can we get a link explaining alchemical symbols?

JesseHechtCREATIVE
Feb 20, 2013

​ Creative New Content Weekly

Cuisine
Reviews
Entertainment
Animation
Toys
Images
Videogames
Everything!
Anyone know how to extract and make an avatar of Bill Cipher floating on the countdown site? Help a dude out! Thanks!

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

Grunkle Stan's Lament

MACAW.AVI
Dec 1, 2013

Brought on by Hot Topic selling a Grunkle Stan "cosplay hat". As Alex Hirsch remarked, "Why is Robbie dressed up as Grunkle Stan?".

ovaries
Nov 20, 2004

A gemillion dollars to anyone who can find a wallpaper-ready version of this Paul Robertson art

pksage
Jul 2, 2009

You are an experience!
I'm also still planning to do a Season 2 OP before it actually airs, I've just been busylazy. I'll get it going this week.

Lazlo Nibble
Jan 9, 2004

It was Weasleby, by God! At last I had the miserable blighter precisely where I wanted him!

ovaries posted:

A gemillion dollars to anyone who can find a wallpaper-ready version of this Paul Robertson art

Assuming that by "wallpaper-ready" you mean "huge", you can scale the original as big as you want with no loss of fidelity, just stick to a scaling factor of 200%, 300%, etc. and use a nearest-neighbor scaling algorithm to avoid any resampling.

ovaries
Nov 20, 2004

Lazlo Nibble posted:

Assuming that by "wallpaper-ready" you mean "huge", you can scale the original as big as you want with no loss of fidelity, just stick to a scaling factor of 200%, 300%, etc. and use a nearest-neighbor scaling algorithm to avoid any resampling.

You're absolutely right, total brain fart moment on my behalf!

Sithsaber
Apr 8, 2014

by Ion Helmet
Newest theory: Someone's sabotaging the structural integrity of the S in Mystery Shack.

That or its a running gag no duh.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
Robbie is in Big Hero 6. Disney must really like T.J. Miller.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rD5OA6sQ97M&t=104s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Honestly, there isn't much TJ Miller isn't in. He's also in Transformers 4.

But this is a good thing because TJ Miller loving rules.

• Locked thread