Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Vaerai Archon posted:

I don't get why they call Soos a man-child. He more or less acts as the all knowing older brother type of useless information almost like Skips from Regular Show. From his initial description I thought he would be like Comic Book Guy or some Kevin Smith character with alot of hang-ups, but he seems well balanced and sagely.

Things like his reaction to the "werewolf" (scooting away and clutching his sandwich protectively) and giving Dipper the bat in case of pinatas are probably what they're referring to; while he also sees weird stuff and is older than the kids and therefore someone they look up to, he's also a bit of a goofball. He's not a complete man-child, sure, but I wouldn't quite compare him to Skips.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Stan has a tattoo on his back partially hidden by his shirt.

It's an arrow pointing "W". Maybe it's a compass rose upside down or mirrored, who knows.

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009

Poultron posted:

Also, grappling hook.

Is she doing a Legend of Zelda item spin thing here?

Poultron
May 26, 2006

It doesn't make me happy if you call me cute, you bastard!

Dr Snofeld posted:

If she isn't, I don't know what the hell she's doing.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Dr Snofeld posted:

I just thought it was some dramatic thing where, holding the item to her chest and twirling, it looked like she got something "sweet" or cute or otherwise girly, which makes the reveal ("GRAPPLING HOOK!") even funnier.

LoZ item get is good too, though. Not entirely inappropriate, either, considering a certain item from that series.

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

Last gif, I swear.

Love that goat.

Just Offscreen
Jun 29, 2006

We must hope that our current selves will one day step aside to make room for better versions of us.

Winklebottom posted:

Last gif, I swear.

Love that goat.

You can make enough .gifs to comprise the entire episode, for all I care. Play on!

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
:aaa: Those goat teeth, so freaky, they don't even close!

Pfefferbao
Jun 1, 2011

Winklebottom posted:

Last gif, I swear.

Love that goat.

I love that broken horn and its horizontal pupils :kimchi: I hope that thing tries to chew everything.

Also, this is why you cut those goddamned plastic rings.

Pfefferbao fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Jun 18, 2012

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

Another show artist on Tumblr, Michael Rianda.

Remember when I said I wouldn't post anymore gifs? I lied.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Winklebottom posted:

Last gif, I swear.

Love that goat.

The gnomes reminded me of the tiny Leonards from the Ugly Americans episode "Kill, Mark, Kill." It made it just that much funnier, since that's far and away my favorite episode.

Magic!

godzilla hentai
Sep 6, 2010
This show is awesome.

"We met at the cemetary. He's really deep."

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

That shot of the camera zooming by the water tower is really really pretty.

Downloading the episode now. I still need to watch Phineas and Ferb. I never watched an episode, but I'm positive I'd enjoy it. Same with Regular Show.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

When I see this gif or see this scene in the show, I get goosebumps. It's just so incredibly well done. Whoever the art director is for this show, he deserves some intense props.

Kinda wanting to save this as a reaction gif...

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
It does bug me that they misspelled "Corvallis" on the map, though. Also, they included Bly? I'm pretty sure Bly is only famous for the balloon incident. ("Famous.") And oh my god, they included Prehistoric Gardens. Oregon!

Captian Kil
Nov 2, 2011

When is the next episode out?

mobo85
Apr 21, 2007

I've just insulted the macaroni and cheese recipe of a whale! What part of that is not evil?
The series officially premieres on June 29 at 9pm Eastern/Pacific (8pm Central) with an encore presentation of the preview episode "Tourist Trapped", followed by a new episode, "Legend of the Gobblewonker", plus another new episode the following day at 9:25pm Eastern/Pacific (8:25 Central), "Headhunters", guest starring Larry King and Coolio as wax figures of...um, Larry King and Coolio.

Farbtoner
May 17, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post

DaveKap posted:

When I see this gif or see this scene in the show, I get goosebumps. It's just so incredibly well done. Whoever the art director is for this show, he deserves some intense props.

Yeah, I watched the first episode based solely on the strengths of those GIFs that got posted in the kid show thread. It's not quite as fluid as those GIFs from the opening but overall it's a pretty great-looking show.

All of Disney's new cartoons (Tron, Motorcity, Gravity Falls) look fantastic, but Falls actually seems to have pretty amusing writing on top of it.

Poultron
May 26, 2006

Yeah it's a little cheesy to use the gifs from the opening to convince people to watch the show, but it works and the animation in the show is only very slightly lower quality. Then again, who's to say we won't see shots like that in the actual show?

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Poultron posted:

Yeah it's a little cheesy to use the gifs from the opening to convince people to watch the show, but it works and the animation in the show is only very slightly lower quality. Then again, who's to say we won't see shots like that in the actual show?

I doubt it, animation that good is usually only reserved for the opening credits. The animation is still above a lot of other shows though.

But maybe the show will be super successful and then Disney will make a theatrical movie and we'll get a whole hour and a half of awesome animation! :haw:

Poultron
May 26, 2006

Macaluso posted:

I doubt it, animation that good is usually only reserved for the opening credits. The animation is still above a lot of other shows though.

But maybe the show will be super successful and then Disney will make a theatrical movie and we'll get a whole hour and a half of awesome animation! :haw:

Oh man, a Gravity Falls movie with opening-quality animation... one episode in and I already really want this to happen :neckbeard:

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

DaveKap posted:

I can help here because I recognized names in the credits.

The art and creative directors, I believe are both recent CalArts grads. Ian Worrel is the art director, and at CalArts he made a couple of really beautiful short films. Here's one of them:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8T3sSRfCiiY

Michael Rianda is the creative director. His films at CalArts were less "beautiful" and more "funny":

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V36LpPkwJ7I

The production designer is Phil Rynda, who was the character designer on Adventure Time, Chowder, and the Venture Bros. The supervising producer is Rob Renzetti, creator of My Life as a Teenage Robot and director of many different cartoons that goons love, like Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends and Dexter's Laboratory.

Feeple
Jul 17, 2004

My favorite part of this hobby is the rules arguments.
By far the most amusing cartoon I've seen in years.

This...this doesn't make me creepy, does it? :ohdear:

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Feeple posted:

As long as you aren't jerking off to them there's nothing creepy about watching cartoons.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

mobo85 posted:

The series officially premieres on June 29 at 9pm Eastern/Pacific (8pm Central) with an encore presentation of the preview episode "Tourist Trapped", followed by a new episode, "Legend of the Gobblewonker", plus another new episode the following day at 9:25pm Eastern/Pacific (8:25 Central), "Headhunters", guest starring Larry King and Coolio as wax figures of...um, Larry King and Coolio.

I am excited to an extent which is totally out of proportion to how many minutes of this show I have seen thus far.

GRAVITY FALLS :supaburn:

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

Waaaay to long until the next episode is out. I can tell from whats out that this is going to be the new goon sleeper hit!

EDIT: Ahahaha, new avatars are the best!

w00tmonger fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Jun 19, 2012

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Feeple posted:

Seeing as how this isn't a show primarily aimed at young females and more aimed at a general audience of "everyone" then I don't think a Brony type culture can crop up from it which thusly means, no, you aren't creepy. You're who the show is for. Congratulations on being a consumer.

I gotta say I'm rather surprised at how well the comedy and themes of the show work while not being a show where you're constantly wondering "how do they get away with that?" which is kinda what Chowder/Flapjack/Adventure Time/Regular Show have all used to gain older audiences. This is definitely a brand new show, despite how many similarities you can point to what I listed and other adult-themed programming.

DaveKap fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Jun 19, 2012

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

al-azad posted:

It's an arrow pointing "W". Maybe it's a compass rose upside down or mirrored, who knows.

Could it possibly be this:

I haven't even seen the show, but the two pages of this thread have convinced me that I will love it.

Poultron
May 26, 2006

Can I just say that the backgrounds on this show are loving beautiful? And this poo poo ain't even in the opening. (click for full)

Isko
May 20, 2008
I am majorly impressed by this show based off of the first episode. Everything from the humor to the art to the story is awesome. Can't wait for more.

Also, does Dipper's design remind anyone else of Marty McFly?

SwimmingSpider
Jan 3, 2008

Jön, jön, jön a vizipók.
Várják már a tólakók.
Ez a kis pók ügyes búvár.
Sok új kaland is még rá vár.
Watched the first episode. I'm already in love with this show. The "No One Is Trustworthy" aspect definitely smacks of Twin Peaks, which is an automatic win in my book.

SwimmingSpider fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Jun 20, 2012

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Rhinoceraptor posted:

Watched the first episode. I'm already in love with this show. The "No One Is Trustworthy" aspect definitely smacks of Twin Peaks, which is an automatic win in my book.

"Twin Peaks for kids" is the kind of thing that takes a master team to pull off, but after watching that gnome puke rainbows for like a solid minute, I'm convinced it's being done.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
There's a point-and-click adventure game on the Disney Channel website for the show, and a "postcard maker" (for e-mail) that you can use to help promote the show. It's surprisingly robust, and the adventure game is short but fun. Takes me back! The best thing about both, though, is it lets you gaze upon even more of these wonderfully rendered backgrounds and all things Grunkle Stan.

The hidden words are dinosaur, furry fish, eyeballs, spacecraft, and emerald.

Also, one of the objects in the postcard maker is another one of the signs around the weird illuminati figure thing. (The star.)

don Jaime
Apr 3, 2004

al-azad posted:

Could be a star chart, those have east and west switched from geographic maps.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Grunkle Stan is the only kind of man who should ever wear a fez, and he wears it perfectly.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

would it be possible to get a gif of the MEOW WOW sweater closeup? Or was it just a static shot?

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
Is there any way to see this online/download it that's not iTunes? Or am I just going to have to wait for it to be on regular TV, like all the worthless schlubs out there?

Poultron
May 26, 2006

DrBouvenstein posted:

Is there any way to see this online/download it that's not iTunes? Or am I just going to have to wait for it to be on regular TV, like all the worthless schlubs out there?

Well, I wonder if posting some download links for the first episode is okay, since it's technically free anyway. I don't know what to tell you after that though, Netflix will probably have it. I'll ask a mod about it.

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum
Just caught the first episode of this and oh my god. Everything about it is great. I can't get over how fluid the animation is. And Kristen Schaal is a perfect fit for Mabel, and even the humour reminds me a bit of Bob's Burgers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

Sockser posted:

would it be possible to get a gif of the MEOW WOW sweater closeup? Or was it just a static shot?

• Locked thread