Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SwimmingSpider
Jan 3, 2008

Jön, jön, jön a vizipók.
Várják már a tólakók.
Ez a kis pók ügyes búvár.
Sok új kaland is még rá vár.
I realized the other day that I see a lot of EarthBound in this show as well, partially because it's the first thing I think of when i think of 12-year-olds fighting monsters and partly because it's the only other place I can imagine "Grunkle" being used for "great uncle".

SwimmingSpider fucked around with this message at 08:20 on Jun 24, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Who's the best?

You're the best.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.
Heads up: If you have On Demand, the second episode is up. I just got done watching it and I think it might be better than the first. The joke is that marriage is terrible!
Also there's another hidden message at the end of the credits, but I only watched it once and didn't see it and didn't know how to decode it anyway.

Seriously, this show is great. It's animated wonderfully, and it's legitimately hilarious. I can't wait for more.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

The animation is so good that it's a shame to watch the show on my computer where its inadequacies mess with the animation.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

GonSmithe posted:

Heads up: If you have On Demand, the second episode is up. I just got done watching it and I think it might be better than the first. The joke is that marriage is terrible!
Also there's another hidden message at the end of the credits, but I only watched it once and didn't see it and didn't know how to decode it anyway.

Seriously, this show is great. It's animated wonderfully, and it's legitimately hilarious. I can't wait for more.

This show alone is making me consider cable TV.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Here's the first 4 minutes if you don't have On Demand:
http://tv.disney.go.com/disneychannel/gravityfalls/videos/?video=1_7abwrhh5

edit- I just checked the On Demand at my house... apparently it's not on Verizon On Demand. I was at my cousin's house when I saw it, it was On Demand on iO which is a cable company only available in New York, New Jersey, Connecticut, and parts of Pennsylvania. I can't confirm for Dish or anything like that, but if you're in those areas and have iO, you can watch episode 2 on Disney On Demand.

I feel so weird right now, I haven't seen a single person online mention that they've seen the second episode. Am I the only one? :psyduck:

GonSmithe fucked around with this message at 08:46 on Jun 25, 2012

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Couldn't find it in Comcast onDemand

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

GonSmithe posted:

Here's the first 4 minutes if you don't have On Demand:
http://tv.disney.go.com/disneychannel/gravityfalls/videos/?video=1_7abwrhh5

edit- I just checked the On Demand at my house... apparently it's not on Verizon On Demand. I was at my cousin's house when I saw it, it was On Demand on iO which is a cable company only available in New York, New Jersey, Connecticut, and parts of Pennsylvania. I can't confirm for Dish or anything like that, but if you're in those areas and have iO, you can watch episode 2 on Disney On Demand.

I feel so weird right now, I haven't seen a single person online mention that they've seen the second episode. Am I the only one? :psyduck:

"The county jail was so cold :smith:."

I hope that society reaches the point where I can legally marry a TV show.

E: Hahahaha, "They don't 'like or trust' me :jerkbag:"

Pick fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Jun 25, 2012

Millions
Sep 13, 2007

Do you believe in heroes?
Holy poo poo, Grunkle Stan forcing the kids to make counterfeit bills by hand is hilarious.

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>
Really loving this show, the second episode can't come soon enough.

Also that Disney Channel website streams clips in surprisingly high quality, this is better than iTunes even. I honestly kind of wish they just hosted episodes on there instead.

Chexoid
Nov 5, 2009

Now that I have this dating robot I can take it easy.
This show had me at "I rigged it!" :3:

Loving it.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Hace posted:

Really loving this show, the second episode can't come soon enough.

Also that Disney Channel website streams clips in surprisingly high quality, this is better than iTunes even. I honestly kind of wish they just hosted episodes on there instead.

Yeah, me too, since then people without iTunes could watch it too. It's the kind of show my dad loves, but he doesn't use iTunes, for example :smith:.

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

Sockser posted:

Couldn't find it in Comcast onDemand

It's on xfinity, under kids, disney.

an_mutt
Sep 29, 2010

I was,
I am,
and I remain a soldier!

Sworn to dedicate my heart and soul to the restoration of human kind!

Just watched the second episode and lost my poo poo at THE GLASS!! It really came out of nowhere and just got me.

Also, you can look... but you can't touch. Squeak squeak squeak! was great too. This show owns.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

an_mutt posted:

Just watched the second episode and lost my poo poo at THE GLASS!! It really came out of nowhere and just got me.

Also, you can look... but you can't touch. Squeak squeak squeak! was great too. This show owns.

Curse you people with early access :argh:.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

This show is really, really fantastic. Like, I'm blown away by how good it is. Easily the best new cartoon of this year.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Pick posted:

Yeah, me too, since then people without iTunes could watch it too. It's the kind of show my dad loves, but he doesn't use iTunes, for example :smith:.

What's that? You'd like to watch episode 2 online? Well then!
http://tv.disney.go.com/disneychannel/gravityfalls/videos/?video=0_8no0tjlf

I'm so happy I can actually discuss this episode with people now.

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>
Oh my god they're actually streaming all the episodes in HD? Everybody should go watch this and the first episode right now. There's no excuse at this point (unless you hate good tv).

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Thank you thank you thank you!

OH MY GOD IT'S CRATER LAKE AND WIZARD ISLAND.

Grunkle Stan's boat is called "Stan o War".

Haha, "Yaaay we made the right choice!"

And the pelican talks just like the animatronic crow at Enchanted Forest. Ahhh :allears:.

Soos dance!

"Be bigfoot" Ahahahahahaha!

Yes, I am already addicted. OH WELL.

Pick fucked around with this message at 07:18 on Jun 29, 2012

Awesomonster
Feb 26, 2008

Because there's always an ending.

Pick posted:

Thank you thank you thank you!

Grunkle Stan's boat is called "Stan o War".

Yes, I am already addicted. OH WELL.

I loved that Soos's boat is called "S.S. Cool Dude"

This show really is great. Every character is likable, the art is gorgeous, and the writing is spot-on. I love it already :3:

Farbtoner
May 17, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Jesus H. Christ, Disney has caught lightning in a bottle here. I never really got the adult fandom that sprung up around Phineas and Ferb (it was cute but it was less "something I'd watch on my own" and more "something that I wouldn't actively dislike watching with my kids/cousins/baby bro/etc.") but just about every gag they try in Gravity Falls just works.

I busted a gut before the show's opening. Oh Grunkle Stan :allears:

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

GonSmithe posted:

What's that? You'd like to watch episode 2 online? Well then!
http://tv.disney.go.com/disneychannel/gravityfalls/videos/?video=0_8no0tjlf

I'm so happy I can actually discuss this episode with people now.

It's commercial free too :psyduck: (well there's one at the beginning. But not during the rest of the show)

Mabel's hampster ball fantasy is loving hilarious oh my god.

And the glass joke was hilarious, and something I don't think a lot of kids will get why it's so funny.

Oh yeah. Soo's stomach sounding like whale noises. So majestic! :lol:

Macaluso fucked around with this message at 12:10 on Jun 29, 2012

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?
Really, this show presses buttons I never knew I had anymore since Eerie, Indiana was cancelled *mmf*teen years ago :allears:

So how until the inevitable gif avalanche?

weirdojace
Sep 4, 2007
This show looks cool, I'll definitely be checking it out.

Interesting to note: Fellow goon Neil Cicierega (Trapezoid) was asked by the creator to come up with a theme song for this show last year. His version didn't get picked, obviously. But it's still cool that he was approached for it. I'm not sure if he wants it posted here, though.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Farbtoner posted:

Jesus H. Christ, Disney has caught lightning in a bottle here. I never really got the adult fandom that sprung up around Phineas and Ferb (it was cute but it was less "something I'd watch on my own" and more "something that I wouldn't actively dislike watching with my kids/cousins/baby bro/etc.") but just about every gag they try in Gravity Falls just works.

I busted a gut before the show's opening. Oh Grunkle Stan :allears:

Phineas and Ferb is well liked because in addition to having plenty of jokes for adults and decent art, it's completely genuine and self-aware. Like there's not an ounce of cynicism or meanness to be found in the show and what it does and that's pretty refreshing these days. And despite who it's supposed to be for, it doesn't condescend and gives the older audience reasons to enjoy it just as much as the younger.

Sort of like another show.

I haven't caught this yet because Directv sucks, is it the same way?

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

I actually don't like Phineas and Ferb that much, mostly due to how repetitive and annoying the jokes get, and how everyone acts exactly the same as their limited character is defined as from episode to episode, and therefore I feel like the optimism and positivity is faked; it's a byproduct of nobody ever growing or changing as characters. There's no arcing or development and nobody learns anything.

In comparison I feel like here, everyone's a real character. Dipper and Mabel might be jerks to each other from time, or to Stan, but they learn and change as the show progresses and even when they're at their worst to each other (which is quite frankly, not bad at all, really), they obviously still love and support each other. Plus the jokes aren't all meta or an ouroboros of references to itself like P and F has become, and the animation is a lot better.

So basically, yes, it is a very positive show. It is obviously inspired by Twin Peaks so you do get that sense of "something is very, very wrong with this town" sort of uneasiness that I at least felt watching TP.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

I just noticed, Gruncle Stan has a house arrest bracelet around his leg at the end of the second episode.

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>
:ssh: That's just from a joke that he tells seconds before/after that still

Bo Berry
Sep 21, 2011

Easy breezy beautiful colored world I'm in love with you
R-O-Y-G-B-I-V your colors are a comedy
"It's funny because marriage is terrible!"

Holy poo poo, this is pretty good.

e: "So I figured maybe I'd catch his fancy with a 15 ton aquatic ROBOT! In retrospect, it seems a bit contrived."
This is very good.

Bo Berry fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Jun 29, 2012

Mechanical Fiend
Sep 5, 2011

How'd that asshole get a white robe?!

Noticed this at the end of Episode 2

NEXT WEEK: RETURN TO BUBB ISLAND

Bo Berry
Sep 21, 2011

Is that a fishboy? Is that a House of 1,000 Corpses reference? :psyduck:

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.

Bo Berry posted:

Is that a fishboy? Is that a House of 1,000 Corpses reference? :psyduck:

It's the Fiji Mermaid, a hoax, which means it's quite appropriate in Stan's shack.

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

This episode was great.

"I love cavorting!" "That deserves a hug!"

Also liked that Soos is childish while not being totally incompetent.

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

I thought his name was Zeus

Bo Berry
Sep 21, 2011

Mighty Dicktron posted:

It's the Fiji Mermaid, a hoax, which means it's quite appropriate in Stan's shack.

That makes more sense, but I'm still hoping for monster movie references.

Winklebottom posted:

This episode was great.

"I love cavorting!" "That deserves a hug!"

Also liked that Soos is childish while not being totally incompetent.

"We're still beavers"

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

peepsalot posted:

I thought his name was Zeus

Used to think so too, but the show's Facebook page calls him Soos v:shobon:v

E: Chubby bald dude from the intro made an appearance as well.

Winklebottom fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Jun 29, 2012

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Just watched the first two episodes, this show is going places. I'm hooked :allears:

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Goddamn this show is so good. I hope Disney treats this well, they have a real gem on their hands.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Can this get stickied since it premieres tonight?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mobo85
Apr 21, 2007

I've just insulted the macaroni and cheese recipe of a whale! What part of that is not evil?
Here's a nice little bit from TV Guide with some tidbits from Alex Hirsch. I think "Alfred Molina voicing a bear made out of multiple bears" is perhaps the most Gravity Falls-ish sentence there can be- if that doesn't show how weird the show is, nothing will.

And, for purposes of stuff, the schedule for the premiere weekend and episodes debuting next month:

All times Eastern and Pacific

Premiere Weekend Schedule:

Friday, June 29 (TONIGHT)
9:00pm 105 Tourist Trapped (encore presentation)
9:30pm 101 The Legend of the Gobblewonker

Saturday, June 30
9:25pm 102 Headhunters

Sunday, July 1 (encore presentations)
9:00pm 105 Tourist Trapped
9:30pm 101 The Legend of the Gobblewonker
10:00pm 102 Headhunters

July Episode Premieres:

July 6 9:30pm 104 The Hand That Rocks the Mabel
July 13 9:30pm 103 The Inconviencing
July 20 9:30pm 106 Dipper vs. Manliness

• Locked thread