Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Farbtoner
May 17, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post

DaveKap posted:

When I see this gif or see this scene in the show, I get goosebumps. It's just so incredibly well done. Whoever the art director is for this show, he deserves some intense props.

Yeah, I watched the first episode based solely on the strengths of those GIFs that got posted in the kid show thread. It's not quite as fluid as those GIFs from the opening but overall it's a pretty great-looking show.

All of Disney's new cartoons (Tron, Motorcity, Gravity Falls) look fantastic, but Falls actually seems to have pretty amusing writing on top of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Farbtoner
May 17, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Jesus H. Christ, Disney has caught lightning in a bottle here. I never really got the adult fandom that sprung up around Phineas and Ferb (it was cute but it was less "something I'd watch on my own" and more "something that I wouldn't actively dislike watching with my kids/cousins/baby bro/etc.") but just about every gag they try in Gravity Falls just works.

I busted a gut before the show's opening. Oh Grunkle Stan :allears:

Farbtoner
May 17, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post

RadicalWall posted:

Soos! Beavers!

The majestic Dong-Chested Beavers of Oregon.

Farbtoner
May 17, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Dude, check it out...Butt Island! :haw:

Farbtoner
May 17, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Vaerai Archon posted:

However the one thing that saddens me is the fact there is only so many legends and cryptoids to cover that we'll get less than the 54 episode maximum(unless it nolonger exists but I think it does).

With all the hints and hidden details they keep dropping they might be trying to build their own mythology or conspiracy or something, which could be good or bad depending on how they handle it.

Farbtoner
May 17, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post

OmegaZultan posted:

I don't suppose anyone could avatarize the WHAT weather vane gif? It would be most appreciated.

I'm not super-good with GIFs but I gave it a shot. It has a lot of frames and colors so the only way to make it not look like poo poo was cut out a whole bunch of frames, and I still haven't gotten the hang of the playback speed yet.

Farbtoner fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Jul 3, 2012

Farbtoner
May 17, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I was looking up Gravity Falls on YouTube and somebody had uploaded a clip of the unaired pilot, which had a different (awful) animation style:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1X1KxUl2Pxo

It's neat how Mabel is practically unchanged in the final version while Grunkle Stan is a completely different character.

Farbtoner fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Jul 6, 2012

Farbtoner
May 17, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post

QuickbreathFinisher posted:

On a slightly serious note, this show is adorable and way great, but I just have this horrible feeling that a really BAD fandom is going to develop. I really hope I'm wrong though. Adventure Time avoided it, right?

I think that the show doesn't really have a universe or art style that is conductive to the worst of the creepy fandoms and shippers. MLP has an entire fantasy world that lends itself to people creating their own characters and Adventure Time has all the neckbeard references and actual neckbeards on the staff that tease people with shipping pairs, all Gravity Falls offers people is the chance to roleplay living in Oregon.

There's already been some creepy stuff about the show that popped up in the PYF internet trainwrecks thread, but I didn't post it here because posting that thing even in mockery is what gets cartoon threads rolling into creepytown really quickly.

Farbtoner
May 17, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Episode 5 was the first one that actually felt scary, it's good to see that the show is still willing to show its teeth while still keeping its sense of humor.

Farbtoner
May 17, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Hockles posted:

Ohhhhh horse-spittle.

Awwww banjo polish! :arghfist::corsair:

Farbtoner
May 17, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post

an_mutt posted:

The annoying thing about this is that something in episode 5 has inspired, IMO, the most avatar-worthy moments so far and I feel like I've jumped the gun on my purchase.

Namely Smile Dip

Mabel being "irrresistabbbllle" is still probably my favorite thing so I think you made a good choice.

Farbtoner
May 17, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Neo Helbeast posted:

I need this as an avatar stat.

As much fun as it is having people misread my name as "Fartboner", 80-TON SHAMEBOT is right at the top of my namechange list now.

Farbtoner
May 17, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Vaerai Archon posted:

So is my understanding that the official term for fan of this show is a "Gravita" or "Gravitas" for plural, correct?

Ugh, nooooo, the last thing we need is some cutesy fandom nickname

Anyways, the topic came up elsewhere on the forums and someone swears that the Mystery Shack is a real place, can any of you Oregoneers back him up?

Vargo posted:

The Mystery Shack is absolutely a real place. It's actually called the House of Mystery, and it's about a half-hour drive from my house. This show is already awesome.

Farbtoner
May 17, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post

IRQ posted:

I can't even describe how amusing it is to see one cartoon show fandom try so very hard to distance itself from another for literally no reason.

Literally every TV show in existence has a fandom, complete with cutesy nickname for the fans, SA is just one of the few bastions on the entire internet from this kind of thing (well, aside from the Avatar threads). If Breaking Bad fans wanted to start calling themselves Heisenbergs or something we'd be just as critical.

Farbtoner
May 17, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Dr. VooDoo posted:

Recommended this to a friend and he says he wanted to like the show but claims its nothing more than Invader Zim lite :psyduck: I asked him to explain and he said the show has the same humor, that Dipper is Dib, and Mabel is a happier Gaz. I also found out a bunch of others recommended it to him and I have a feeling he's one of those people where if anything is popular it is bad cause there's like nothing this show has in common with Invader Zim besides the paranormal stuff and the Mabel = Gaz thing has thrown me for a loop since they're pretty much exact opposites

Ignoring that tonally they are polar opposites, in the earlier episodes I can kind of see it. From the paranormal angle and how Dipper seems to be the only one that actually sees the various cryptids and conspiracies and everyone else thinks he's crazy.

But after episodes 4 & 5 it seems like people in the Gravity Falls universe are much more open and complacent about the supernatural. Invader Zim had all that cranked up to 11, where the regular people were willfully ignorant to the point where they ignored their planet being almost thrown into a dying sun and Dib was fanatical about proving that aliens are real. Dipper, on the other hand, takes the supernatural in stride and is instead concerned with how it affects his more fundamental needs like looking cool in front of the older girl he has a crush on or making a lot of money.

Sulphuric Sundae posted:

I never really liked Invader Zim. I think it always felt to cynical for me. Despite the dark underpinnings of the location, Gravity Falls is a lot less bleak.
Also, I think Jhonen Vasquez was always morbid for the sake of being morbid, like later-era Tim Burton. I had a bunch of friends who were nuts over his stuff, but I could never get into it.

I think that the world that Zim occupied was the best thing about that show. It's just such a grotesque, frightening, dangerous place. Even a simple commercial for aspirin is winds up being a grotesque parody of advertising where some guy just walking down the sidewalk suddenly has his spine snap in half like a toothpick.

Farbtoner
May 17, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Episode 6 was good but it felt like a Flapjack script with the serial numbers filed off, down to the b-plot involving Captain K'nuckles at the Candy Barrel Grunkle Stan at Greasy's Diner.

Farbtoner
May 17, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Freakazoid seems to have aged way better than Spielberg's other cartoons because the pop culture references in Tiny Toons and Animaniacs haven't aged well at all and half of the characters on Animaniacs were terrible, while Freakazoid is just that wacky humor distilled to its essence.

It's funny, but cartoons today seem to be going through the same cycle they did 20 years ago: the 80s and early 90s were full of terrible, poorly-animated toy commercials followed by the mid-to-late 90s being a renaissance of high-quality Cartoon Network and Nickelodeon originals, then the 00s were full of terrible, poorly-animated anime and Flash cartoons followed by high-quality Cartoon Network and Disney originals today.

Farbtoner
May 17, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Paul Robertson making an animation where he can't just cop out by throwing blood and vaginas everywhere and calling it a day? :monocle:

Farbtoner fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Jul 18, 2012

Farbtoner
May 17, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Macaluso posted:

Ah neat, he did stuff for Wizorb (which is a cute little rpg/breakout clone).

Just cause the dude does mostly NSFW stuff, I don't see why there should be any worry? He has a lot of talent, and I'm sure whatever he's doing for Gravity Falls will look great

It's not so much that he does NSFW stuff as it is that he's dug himself into such a tiny niche that I don't even think he can function outside of it. Has he ever made a cartoon that wasn't in pixel graphics, full of anachronistic video game references, and had cute things that were bloody/rapey because it's just so goddam edgy?

He and FreddieW seem to be the faces of this new creative underclass of people that are talented and technically proficient but are too happy in their nerdy in-joke bubble to ever break out of their comfort zone and make something that's not about videogames.

Farbtoner
May 17, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post

readingatwork posted:

There's actually a lot of history around this attitude going all the way back to the 50's, religious right wing fundamentalists, and the Comic Code Authority. Basically for a long time comics were so heavily censored that pretty much anything that would interest somebody over 6 was banned. This lasted for a LONG while and the animation industry which took a lot of material from the comics world (Superman, Popeye, Little Nemo, Etc.) ended up heavily influenced by this way of doing things. Hell, up until the mid 90's the general attitude towards animation was that it was either for Disney movies (for kids) or useful as a marketing vehicle for toys (also for kids plus usually terrible). It was only in the late 90's that anime came in and blew all that away with it's "adult situations", "plots that actually go somewhere" and "making an effort".

Which is ironic really. Because anime is simultaneously responsible for the best and the worst in animation today. Without it you wouldn't have either MLP OR a show with as much love put in it Gravity Falls.

Another reason is that when pre-movie entertainment like animated shorts and two-reel comedies started to die out in theaters none of the animation studios were really big enough to survive except for Disney, which has always been about making family-friendly cartoons. By the time that television animation started to get cheap enough to be viable through people like Hanna-Barbera an entire generation had grown up in a world where the only cartoons were for children and it's still sticking.

Not that adults still weren't watching them. One of the reasons why Cartoon Network got made in the early 90s was because they did polling data and found out that there were as many adults watching cartoons on television as there were children

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b0Wm-VaYxeA

It's at about 3:50 in this video but really the whole thing is a pretty neat piece of history for anyone who grew up on the network.

It's funny that here in TVIV we complain so much about the homogenizing of cable channels (like Discovery Channel being nothing but reality shows and History Channel being about aliens) because one of the good things to come from it was networks working harder to make cartoons that actually had appeal to grown-ups as well as kids.

Farbtoner fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Jul 20, 2012

Farbtoner
May 17, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I think episode 4 may be my least favorite episode, but the fact that Disney of all places had an episode about an evil Southern evangelical child preacher with issues towards women is pretty awesome and subversive.

Like, even in a show that is explicitly about the supernatural they had an episode that was basically a primer on skepticism towards psychics and faith-healers. That rules.

Farbtoner fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Jul 21, 2012

Farbtoner
May 17, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post

psychoticBacofoil posted:

It is? Oh right, I forgot it's probably by one pixel. GIIIIIIMP! :argh:

The file size limit for avatars is 30kb, you managed to be over ten times that which is kind of impressive.

Farbtoner
May 17, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Mr.Drf posted:

I won't make any further derails about it because it seems like this show is great enough to move past silly things like this.

They really need to make the whole "Guys let's stop the derail, but first let me get the last word in" thing probatable.

Farbtoner
May 17, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Lone Rogue posted:

Mabel could make ponies really awesome.

ORIGINAL CHARACTER DONUT STEEL

Copyright 80sGurlMabel@Deviantart

Farbtoner
May 17, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Pakled posted:

It's funny because the twins were born in 2000.

Well yeah, but but between the look of her hamster ball daydream and her music choice at Grunkle Stan's party Mabel's 80s fixation is one of her most endearing traits. :3:

Farbtoner
May 17, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Level Slide posted:

There's this Japanese blog that talks about the new stuff Disney is getting in October. The author seems really excited about Gravity Falls.

The bottom line for the show's description gave some of the voice actor for the dub. That's where I got Stan's VA from.

There's probably going to be a trailer or a commercial or something within a few weeks.

This is from pages back, but this blog is amazing. I always joked about Japan having reverse-weeaboos, but it's seriously a japanese dude obsessed with American cartoons.

Farbtoner
May 17, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Independent of the underlying gender politics, I really want them to dial back on the Dipper-focused episodes. It's starting to remind me of Invader Zim and the Dib episodes, where they keep hitting the same beats on the same character flaws with zero development while ignoring the more interesting and beloved characters.

Another thing that's kind of wearing thin is the way that each episode's mystery seems more disconnected and random. The first few episodes were all based around the mysteries of Gravity Falls and actual paranormal phenomena like the Loch Ness monster and psychokinesis, while recent episodes like Double Dipper and this week's literally just have Dipper randomly discovering something weird with no greater mythological connections. I understand that there are only so many actual cryptids and paranormal activities out there, but only lasting half a dozen episodes before sinking into Urkel-esque "What if I made a clone of myself?" and "What if videogames were real?" wackiness doesn't sit well with me.

Farbtoner
May 17, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

Surely you mean it's a love letter to gender politics! Why aren't you paying attention to the gender politics? What, you don't watch Disney cartoons and pick apart the gender roles?

Rumble McSkirmish is disappointed you won't avenge the cartoon that killed your father!

They're not mutually-exclusive avenues of discussion, we can talk about things we find problematic in a show while also enjoying said show and not thinking that people are bad people for enjoying it :)

I got a friend hooked on Gravity Falls and he's throwing an ice cream and crazy sweaters party to hook all the rest of his friends. Awesome :yum:

Farbtoner
May 17, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post

flatluigi posted:

http://probertson.tumblr.com/post/31637353328/gravity-falls-animations

Paul Robertson posted the animations used in the episode! They're really neat.

Seeing them all together it's amazing how little animation they actually needed for Rumble McSkirmish.

Farbtoner
May 17, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post
You heard it here folks, critical thought and jerking off to cartoon ponies occupy the same spot on the venn diagram.

Farbtoner
May 17, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Level Slide posted:

If it wasn't the gnomes then I'm sure Gideon turned her off to potential suitors in Gravity Falls.

It is kind of funny that we're complaining about two "Dipper pines (heh!) after Wendy, misadventures ensue" episodes when there were two "Mabel pines after a boy, misadventures ensue" episodes.

At least until you remember that Mabel owns.

Farbtoner
May 17, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Pakled posted:

Maybe I'm retarded, but this never registered with me until I saw this gif.

I just noticed the American flag pin, that's goddam fantastic.

Farbtoner
May 17, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post

The Devil Tesla posted:

Disney S and P is notoriously strange, but I'm kinda surprised that all of his examples of what they had to change are totally reasonable.

See also: in Fight Fighters where they had Rumble McSkirmish actually hitting people and the characters actually say "death/die/etc" but when they're playing cards in the opening gag they use crackers instead of poker chips because gambling is up there with smoking when it comes to things that you don't put in kids shows.

I mean, 10 years ago actual superhero shows couldn't show blows connecting or real guns and now we have children being smacked so hard that they go flying.

Farbtoner
May 17, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post

The Devil Tesla posted:

So I just watched Little Dipper on demand! I can see why people haven't been discussing it in this thread, it was kinda lacking in impact.

As much as I love the idea of the nemesis in a children's adventure show being a child preacher with a weird hang-up on the opposite sex a la Judge Frollo, both Gideon episodes have been pretty poor in my eyes. This one I liked even less because it made me realize that the season is halfway over and the overall arc is still at the exact same place it was at the end of the very first episode.

I mean, nobody watches this for the plot but combined with how I feel like everything after The Inconveniencing has been downhill it definitely has the feel of treading water right now. At least this time we had Dipper and Mabel together again and Grunkle Stan being a jerk and not actually learning anything, even if it was still a largely Dipper-focused episode.

Farbtoner
May 17, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post
This episode won my heart when that kid got loving eaten and things only got more weird from then on out.

Farbtoner
May 17, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Not gonna like, I would buy/eat Homework: The Candy just to say that I did.

Also, I now realize that Soos is probably going to be the no-effort costume of fat male goons this Halloween (ie all Goons)

Farbtoner
May 17, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I'm going to be Soos for Halloween, because I am a big fat goony goon so all I need is a toolbelt and a brown cap and I'm gold.

Farbtoner
May 17, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post

MojoKingBee posted:

Do you have a shirt with a big question mark on it?

Yes.

Farbtoner
May 17, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Fried Chicken posted:

The PYF thread about them moves so fast I don't catch every page. But since McCarty defense is common with the Tea Party I can easily believe Bronies saying he was too easy on the people he was interrogating.

I think the joke went over your head; McCarthyism is inherent in fans of kids' shows in that we go nuts accusing and trying to out people for being creeps and weirdos.

Call Now posted:

Gravity Falls finally got a dubbed Polish version, I thought I'd get my brother to watch but Dipper's VA sounds like utter poo poo :(

Could you post a link to an example? I love hearing voice acting in other languages, I think I've watched the "Lisa needs braces/Dental plan" bit from the Simpsons in just about every language it was released in :ocelot::spergin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Farbtoner
May 17, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post
This is the second time in as many days that somebody with a same-day regdate did a piss-awful troll in threads about cartoons for kids.

• Locked thread