Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Feeple
Jul 17, 2004

My favorite part of this hobby is the rules arguments.
Is this where we can talk about Dreadball? I'd like to see some other people's opinions on that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Signal
Dec 10, 2005

Feeple posted:

Is this where we can talk about Dreadball? I'd like to see some other people's opinions on that.

I got my Dorfs put together, but have yet to play a game. I am also interested in people's opinions.

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of *blank*
I think this is the right thread for Dreadball talk.

Just had my first game. Played with very basic rules (no refs, fouls or special cards etc) as I was playing with my 6yr old son. It was a good chance to try out the core mechanics though, and it seemed a lot of fun- a lot faster and more action packed than Bloodbowl, and that was despite us forgetting that theres a sprint action as well as a run one.

I really like the figures, put all bar the Veermyn together so far and we played with Orcs and Humans. Both teams felt suitably different, and the Orcs were nice and easy for my son to use. Looking forward to trying the full rules out with my gaming group.

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

As promised a couple of weeks back, heres a WIP on my 15mm Kings of War project to introduce my son to wargaming.

Almost finished the Orcs and Goblins force we will be starting out with- just need to finish a regiment of Goblin archers, a troop of wolf riders and a hero. Just waiting for the smaller sized bases for the troop and to rebase the giant.

Then on to the Dwarves!

Serotonin fucked around with this message at 11:08 on Dec 31, 2012

Big Willy Style
Feb 11, 2007

How many Astartes do you know that roll like this?
The ver-myn are the worst models of the dreadball kit. They are awfully balanced and fall over and you dont get anything bases with them to help. Otherwise, pretty mold line heavy but the rest of the kits are great.

Havent had a chance to play yet but should be able to in the new year

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

My kickstarter pledge came with loads of clear acrylic hex bases to stick the minis on. Should help.

Hipster Occultist
Aug 16, 2008

He's an ancient, obscure god. You probably haven't heard of him.

Mine didn't. (ditto with several friends who got in on the kickstarter) Sent a email to Mantic about it, not too happy they'd make me some something so basic as loving bases if it was intentional.

Big Willy Style
Feb 11, 2007

Serotonin posted:

My kickstarter pledge came with loads of clear acrylic hex bases to stick the minis on. Should help.

Yep, I got them, but having models not being able to stand up on their own without having to buy another product is pretty poor form.

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

I guess as a wargamer I just assume you need to base all your figures.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

Serotonin posted:

I guess as a wargamer I just assume you need to base all your figures.

Wargames grogs take nothing for granted. :respek:

Feeple
Jul 17, 2004

The extra teams don't come with the hex bases? Yikes.

Signal
Dec 10, 2005

Mine did, yours must have been a mispack.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

The non-kickstarter version doesn't come with any hex bases, so it's definitely a problem.

In other Mantic news, whatever the hell this is is coming in 2013:

Feeple
Jul 17, 2004

That's a real shame. It's not like Hex bases are real common in wargames, and places like Dragon Forge don't make them (yet, I guess!)

Big Willy Style
Feb 11, 2007

Custom bases for mantic miniatures become a bit of a headache because of the round tabs attached to feet. It is something that I wish they owuld ditch it in favour of what every other company (except reaper) do.

But yeah, I got enough hex bases for all of the models, but not everyone got the kickstarter.

I still havent had a chance to play the rules, and this is only a small nitpick. The MVPs looks great up close (Gorim Ironstone is a little small compared to the other Forgefathers, but the whole FF line is inconsistent)

Combaticus
Jan 14, 2008

Perfection

Dominance

Ultimate

Fighting

Biotechnology
I'm fairly happy with the Dreadball stuff I've received so far, although there is quite a bit of moldline removal to be done, but the detail level is pretty good.
I love most of the sculpts except for the coach in the trench coat. And the T&A ref-bot isn't as bad as I thought it would be.

The only thing that's really peeved me about the models are the hex-bases – which, as far as I understood – were supposed to snap-fit with the round bases of the minis.

Big Willy Style
Feb 11, 2007

Combaticus posted:

I'm fairly happy with the Dreadball stuff I've received so far, although there is quite a bit of moldline removal to be done, but the detail level is pretty good.
I love most of the sculpts except for the coach in the trench coat. And the T&A ref-bot isn't as bad as I thought it would be.

The only thing that's really peeved me about the models are the hex-bases – which, as far as I understood – were supposed to snap-fit with the round bases of the minis.

I never heard about the models being able to snap fit, but the plastic (as in on sprue plastic not resin-plastic) models from mantic can snap in just fine. My guess is the moulds for the resin kits skrink. Also, the Forge Father regular grunts looks massive against the storm rage veterans. I put it down to mould shrink.

Daedleh
Aug 25, 2008

What shall we do with a catnipped kitty?

Big Willy Style posted:

I never heard about the models being able to snap fit, but the plastic (as in on sprue plastic not resin-plastic) models from mantic can snap in just fine. My guess is the moulds for the resin kits skrink. Also, the Forge Father regular grunts looks massive against the storm rage veterans. I put it down to mould shrink.

Yup this is pretty much it. The resin-plastic/sprueless plastic/restic shrinks as it sets. They have to sculpt models about 10% larger to get them to shrink to the right size, but they hadn't figured it out for the storm rages. Restic models after that tend to be better sized, but they've only really nailed the upsizing for Dreadball. Unfortunately it doesn't uniformly shrink, which is why restic isn't quite as accurate for joins and the like.

I've no idea why they're carrying on with the circle-slot base design for Dreadball or Warpath. It's a great idea for Kings of War to help you rank minis together properly, but does bugger all for skirmish bases.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

I'm guessing this means either Not-Chaos or Not-Necrons for their Not-Warhammer40k game.

Feeple
Jul 17, 2004

Bought the dwarf Dreadball team, and all hex bases. Nice models, but small, even for dwarfs.

Big Willy Style
Feb 11, 2007

Are Mantic planning on replacing a heap of their plastics and metals? They have so much stuff on special in their discontinued section of the online store.

Feeple
Jul 17, 2004

Big Willy Style posted:

Are Mantic planning on replacing a heap of their plastics and metals? They have so much stuff on special in their discontinued section of the online store.

Something's changing with the new Kings of War, I just can't tell what.

Daedleh
Aug 25, 2008

What shall we do with a catnipped kitty?
They're changing a lot of their packaging. The troops have long been discontinued but a lot of the £20/£30 boxes are disappearing in favour of the £25 one player starter sets. Some of the metals are being converted to Restric, like the Abyssal dwarves and Elf elites.

The Warpath stuff and elves have never really shifted since day one so they're always discounting it.

I don't know why there's a load of metal heroes on sale. I think there's been an attempt to shift their packaging away from the plastic boxes and into cardboard, so they might have a backlog of plastic boxed minis since they don't use blisters AFAIK.

Big Willy Style
Feb 11, 2007

So I finally got around to playing a few games. Pretty easy to pick up. Every team has its own feel about them. I was a bit wary about the forge fathers only having movement 4 but the pitch is small enough for it not to be an issue. I'm enjoying running Orcs the most at the moment. Hoping to have a few fully painted teams to use soon.

Verdugo
Jan 5, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
I picked up the Dreadball paint kit w/ ref, and it came with a plastic hex base too. Only weird thing is they used a photo of the back of the ref on the front of the package, and it turns out it's some weird sexbot female ref inside instead. Also the paints are very poor quality.

I use some Mantic elves as filler in my Warhammer elf army and they're pretty nice. The big thing is that the models are not the same "beefiness" as GW models, they're actually very weedy. Mantic Orx look like old Gorkamorka Yoofs next to GW Orks. But I picked up 20 elves for $12 through a reseller, and it came out to about 25 figures once I based the casualties and other misc stuff on stands.

My only suggestion if you live in the US, is to order through a reseller and not through Mantic directly. I placed a big order with them and they just decided to never ship it, but charged me anyway, I had to fight for a refund since I wound up sourcing the models elsewhere. Another order came with a messenger bag that fell apart after about a month of light use.

Verdugo fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Mar 6, 2013

TheLawinator
Apr 13, 2012

Competence on the battlefield is a myth. The side which screws up next to last wins, it's as simple as that.

I've been using my bag since... a year ago at least almost daily. Seems you got a lemon.

Verdugo
Jan 5, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

TheLawinator posted:

I've been using my bag since... a year ago at least almost daily. Seems you got a lemon.

Sucks. Mine started coming apart at the seams then the weave started ripping through.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Verdugo posted:

Mantic Orx look like old Gorkamorka Yoofs next to GW Orks.
That is a very important thing you posted.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

I bought a load of Mantic skeletons for use in WHFB.

This kit is an absolute joy to assemble and paint.

Verdugo
Jan 5, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

VogeGandire posted:

I bought a load of Mantic skeletons for use in WHFB.

This kit is an absolute joy to assemble and paint.

The skeleton kits are cool, they have the skeletons crawling out of the ground and a bunch of extra bits including a skeletal dog / rat thing. Their zombie sprue is the same way.

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

Finished my first 3 starter set Dreadball teams. Still got the Vermyn to do, but Im struggling to find the motivation as they are such terrible sculpts. A bit disappointed the alternate sculpts for the season 1 teams have been delayed but Im looking forward to taking delivery of my Season 2 goodies- Ive also bought a Robot and a Z'zor team.

Forgefathers are definitely my favourite sculpts so far.

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

To boldly be eaten where no grot has been eaten before!
Could somebody do a write up about Project Pandora. It's £24 where I am and I'm considering getting it.

dirtgolem
Dec 22, 2011

Wounds are always fresh and so the scabs are never dry
Gutter is the place in which we choose to live our lives
Square inside a circle is the symbol in my eye
Home is where the gutter is and this is where I'll die
I bought a Mantic assembly kit off ebay, the one with the Elf Spearmen. I've never built or painted minis before, this is my first ever set. They're smaller than I figured they'd be, but that's my fault for looking at zoomed pictures of them on the internet for so long.

I'm going to pick up a paint set next, the one that comes with a few more command minis and a bunch of paints. So, what's your best tips for assembling these bad boys?

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Get a pair of sprue clippers, a sharp hobby knife and some super glue. Clip the pieces off the sprue, shave off the mold lines with your knife, and glue them together. You can swap the order of the last two steps if you want.

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!
I hope and pray someone makes a FUMBBL like client for dreadball, because the scene is dead out here.

Verdugo
Jan 5, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

h210679 posted:

I bought a Mantic assembly kit off ebay, the one with the Elf Spearmen. I've never built or painted minis before, this is my first ever set. They're smaller than I figured they'd be, but that's my fault for looking at zoomed pictures of them on the internet for so long.

I'm going to pick up a paint set next, the one that comes with a few more command minis and a bunch of paints. So, what's your best tips for assembling these bad boys?

Biggest tip I have: remember, these dudes are going to be on a table 12-18 inches away from your opponent. Don't drive yourself crazy to start: everything looks terrible up close, especially in the beginning. Especially painting those Mantic pixie dudes. The picture inside the box is 20 times more detailed than they need to look like right off the bat.

Feeple
Jul 17, 2004

Cross posting as it's relevant, but Mantic's new kickstarter is up for Deadzone. Any interested in Warpath but not such a big level should get in on it.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I backed Deadzone because it looks great. I went to Mantic's site and found these guys:

But there's no list for Quake II badguys anywhere in the Warpath rules. Is there more to this? There's a Mortis special character, but I could find rules for him, either.

I'm hoping they show up in Deadzone - or are they already? I mean, are these the same as the Plague?

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

That's just the mashup of the fantasy zombie sprue and sci-fi soldier sprue they were selling for halloween/christmas.

edit: I didn't know they'd turned it into its own product, but it's the same as buying this and this and kitbashing.

long-ass nips Diane fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Apr 27, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I figured as much, but there's also a new metal hero. I didn't realize I was looking in the Advance Orders part so hopefully the rules will happen when they get an "official" launch.