Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Daedleh
Aug 25, 2008

What shall we do with a catnipped kitty?
The plague mashups were a surprise success. Mantic just slapped the kits together with a small discount for halloween and they flew off the shelves as fast as they were bagged up. They're not planned to be a playable army in Warpath (the plague in Warpath is actually the plague in Deadzone) and the character was released just to give them some kind of a leader. You can see that it's almost just a quick conversion job for the Veermyn character. I spoke to one of the Mantic guys lately and they said that the majority of their sales come from zombies. As in GW's Space Marines compared to the rest of their catalogue level of sales.

I'm quite excited for the miniatures from Deadzone. The plague lord looks fantastic:

All of the concepts and the sculpts so far have been top notch and I'm really interested in what the final terrain will look like (and be priced at).

I'm not convinced about the game so far, just because I can't see a meaningful game taking place on a 2 foot square board with just an 8x8 grid on it. A 3x3 board would feel better, or if there were more squares on it. Will have to wait and see what the gameplay is actually like.

Quite a few of us have been playing Kings of War using Universal Battle and skype. It works really well and we've got people playing most nights.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

To boldly be eaten where no grot has been eaten before!
It's fairly logical that Zombies would be their biggest seller. The GW ones are so terrible and twice the price, so every GW VC player will just go and buy Mantic ones.

It'll be interesting to see what the big sellers are when the stuff from the KOW kickstarter hits the shelves.

I've pledged for strike team for deadzone. I really like the look of the Rebs, the Enforcer troops (but not the captain) and the Plague Lord (and alternate 2nd gen sculpt they've just put up).

Hard plastic terrain sprues are also a nice idea.

The 2 x 2 play area could work well, depending on the rules. If you halved the weapon ranges in Necromunda you'd get an interesting close range skirmish game, but they'll be putting the rules up next week to have a look at.

The DZ Kickstarter looks like it'll put a lot of Warpath figures into circulation as well as give Mantic a chance to develop the IP further.

Daedleh
Aug 25, 2008

Thundercloud posted:

It's fairly logical that Zombies would be their biggest seller. The GW ones are so terrible and twice the price, so every GW VC player will just go and buy Mantic ones.

It'll be interesting to see what the big sellers are when the stuff from the KOW kickstarter hits the shelves.

I've pledged for strike team for deadzone. I really like the look of the Rebs, the Enforcer troops (but not the captain) and the Plague Lord (and alternate 2nd gen sculpt they've just put up).

Hard plastic terrain sprues are also a nice idea.

The 2 x 2 play area could work well, depending on the rules. If you halved the weapon ranges in Necromunda you'd get an interesting close range skirmish game, but they'll be putting the rules up next week to have a look at.

The DZ Kickstarter looks like it'll put a lot of Warpath figures into circulation as well as give Mantic a chance to develop the IP further.

The painted ogres looked fantastic at salute. They definitely look as good as, if not better than, the regular GW ogres. Not up to the character models or large plastic kits but certainly as good as the bulls. I'm not sure what the pricing will be like on them though. Mantic haven't got a restic large monster kit out yet to compare them to. Hopefully they'll be slightly cheaper, but might not be with the restic price tag.

I've been told that the ranges in DZ are unlimited, so only limited by what you can actually see. With an 8x8 grid, I don't see a massive amount of line of sight blocking going on.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

I'm pretty jaded on the zombie saturation pop culture's going through, but something about the Mantic sci-fi ones really made me want to pick up a box or two. It's the Quake II bio-mechanical look and the prospect of playing them in a persistent XP skirmish game. And that plague lord. He's really a thing I want to paint.

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

Just one? If it's possible to pose them differently I'll be taking two.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Well, if you're backing the kickstarter you get (at least) one 2nd Generation, too! I assume that's just a smaller plague lord? There's an alternate sculpt for the 2nd gen as well - but that's a stretch goal. (That they'll probably reach.)

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

Well I didn't do the Kings of War or Bones Kickstarter (did do the Judge Dredd one though) and this is another one that looks like it'll be too good to miss out on.

Already the basic faction boxes of six have turned into boxes of ten, with a bonus KS exclusive mercenary, and a paperback set of rules, five sprues of terrain and 41 miniatures for $147 is looking pretty good, and it's two days into the kickstarter.

There's also a big temptation to use the Marauder Ripper suits as mega armoured nobz. You get two so far, and you'd need three for a squad....

Daedleh
Aug 25, 2008

Thundercloud posted:

Well I didn't do the Kings of War or Bones Kickstarter (did do the Judge Dredd one though) and this is another one that looks like it'll be too good to miss out on.

Already the basic faction boxes of six have turned into boxes of ten, with a bonus KS exclusive mercenary, and a paperback set of rules, five sprues of terrain and 41 miniatures for $147 is looking pretty good, and it's two days into the kickstarter.

There's also a big temptation to use the Marauder Ripper suits as mega armoured nobz. You get two so far, and you'd need three for a squad....

That's what I'm doing. They're $10/£6.50 each compared to $22.25/£15 from GW. I've pledged for 10 extra but I suspect we might be able to get even more with stretch goals. There'll also be the usual ebay-dumps when the figures come through.

Also someone's gone for the $5,000 level. That's just crazy.

Xarlaxas
Sep 2, 2011

Who speaks for the Man's cub?
Yeah, I'm eagerly awaiting the goods from the Kings of War Kickstarter and will be having a gay old time on eBay, especially seeing as some of the products won't even be out yet for the general public by the time the backers get their stuff. . . .

I think Mantic have really cornered the market for "models that are totally not suitable for GW games, not at all. . ." with some of their armies. Undead being a great example: their skeletons are actually wearing armour for one thing! That, and I got 240 of them for just about £100, that's a great deal!

Their most recent kickstarter might have piqued my interest, but I'm just too drat skint to afford to back more things at the moment. That plague lord is drat awesome though.

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

You can pick one up for $12. Or the plague starter with all the extras for $40.

Xarlaxas
Sep 2, 2011

That's a ridiculously reasonable price! :v:

I may well throw some cash at them then, those Plague models look pretty funky, and the Kickstarter will still be running when my birthday comes up, so I may well be able to afford to throw something their way after all.

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

If you don't want the digital rulebook it is $35.

I'm hoping to see the kickstarter go really far. There are 29 days to go and already the $150 strike force is up to 45 miniatures, a deluxe 2 by 2 gaming mat and 6 sprues of scenery.

Xarlaxas
Sep 2, 2011

Actually, looking at that kickstarter, and their warpath range in general, I'm starting to think that their corporation and enforcer models would make better Imperial Guard troops than what GW is selling. . . .

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
My brother's IG is made up of the corporate dudes. They take melta guns pretty well.

Daedleh
Aug 25, 2008

Xarlaxas posted:

Actually, looking at that kickstarter, and their warpath range in general, I'm starting to think that their corporation and enforcer models would make better Imperial Guard troops than what GW is selling. . . .

The models are brilliant. It's a pity they're not sprue plastic, but I'd be surprised if they didn't get hard plastic treatment within a year. The enforcers are already being made in hard plastic so the Corp won't be too far behind.

The smaller boxes aren't much cheaper than GWs but the more you spend the better the deal.
10 Cadians £18 vs 10 Corp £15
20 Cadians £36 vs 20 Corp £25
3 Cadian Weapon Teams £24 vs 3 Corp Weapon Teams £15
Cadian Battleforce (25 Cadians + 3 Weapon Teams + Sentinel) £75 vs Corp Strike Force (58 Corp + 4 Weapons teams + Hero) £75

Phoon
Apr 23, 2010

If I didn't already have a bunch of Cadians I'd be all over corporation as IG. You could use enforcers as stormtroopers.

Is there a difference between the corporation veterans kit and the normal marines kit?

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

The vets come with nine special weapons, I think. I'm not a big fan of them.

Daedleh
Aug 25, 2008

Got my first Dwarf regiment finished after buying an army box on Saturday:

I'm going to try and make the regiments look like they're in the middle of a battle rather than being on parade or marching. I've ordered a bunch of casualty packs from Perry Miniatures for victims.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Those dudes are pretty cool looking, as far as Dwarves go. I definitely like the fact that you base the models on a regiment level.

Phoon
Apr 23, 2010

Yeah I want to do that too now, but I already stuck half my kings of war guys to individual bases. Gonna have to hack those bases apart I think.

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

Dead Zone kickstarter has now beaten $500,000 and the strike ($150 level) pledge nets you between 58 and 66 models plus seven scenery sprues and a deluxe 2 by 2 mat.

Totally worth it.

Feeple
Jul 17, 2004

My favorite part of this hobby is the rules arguments.

Thundercloud posted:

Dead Zone kickstarter has now beaten $500,000 and the strike ($150 level) pledge nets you between 58 and 66 models plus seven scenery sprues and a deluxe 2 by 2 mat.

Totally worth it.

Amen. I've found with KoW, WP, and Dreadball that on the surfacw it looks like a GW rip, but underneath is a nice and smooth system that only mocks GW in form but not function.

I recommend trying at least Dreadball out. Deadzone is a stupid good deal even if it's just for the terrain.

Daedleh
Aug 25, 2008

Feeple posted:

Amen. I've found with KoW, WP, and Dreadball that on the surfacw it looks like a GW rip, but underneath is a nice and smooth system that only mocks GW in form but not function.

I recommend trying at least Dreadball out. Deadzone is a stupid good deal even if it's just for the terrain.

This is pretty much my take on it all. I very, very rarely have to refer to the rulebook for anything other than stats. It's amazing how much page flipping and "playing the rulebook" you need to do for GW games, even for veterans. The games just play themselves.

I made mockups of the deadzone terrain tiles in Sketchup (link) and someones gone ahead and done mockups of what the terrain makes:

Each battlezone is $25 and for the $95 terrain pledge you easily get enough terrain for a 6x4 board with some spacing out. This doesn't even include the accessories sprue yet. Going up from that gets you bigger, taller buildings and more. I'm pretty sure the equivalent Cities of Death terrain from GW would get you less than half of that amount of terrain. Less if you want intact buildings.

Big Willy Style
Feb 11, 2007

How many Astartes do you know that roll like this?
I think it is a bit bland and crappy. Lumbering Troll's designs blow it out of the water. If you are only going for the terrain then I think there are better options out there maybe. I'm a bit of a mantic fan too. Having said that, I think this will be really successful for them. I just think squares can only be so interesting.

Signal
Dec 10, 2005

Big Willy Style posted:

I just think squares can only be so interesting.

Hexagons though, hexagons are infinitely interesting.

Diskhotep
Jan 4, 2008

Big Willy Style posted:

I think it is a bit bland and crappy. Lumbering Troll's designs blow it out of the water. If you are only going for the terrain then I think there are better options out there maybe. I'm a bit of a mantic fan too. Having said that, I think this will be really successful for them. I just think squares can only be so interesting.

I've only really skimmed the alpha rules - are the squares actually for movement, or are they just there to break down how a model interacts with cover? I got the impression they were more like zones.

The Dark Project
Jun 25, 2007

Give it to me straight...
I have to say I am severely disappointed with Mantic over the Kings of War kickstarter. Pledgers have been left completely in the dark as to how a majority of the sculpts look, and those we have seen don't fill me with confidence.

List of problems as I see it -

- Celestian Cat Cavalry (now Basilean Cat Cavalry) was going to be monstrous cavalry sized. Now it's regular sized, and looks like a cat horse hybrid. I had upped my pledge to a high level to get a bundle of these, now I can't use them at all (in addition to their sculpts looking like poo poo).
- Mummies went from a shambling looking clawed creature, to what is now a failed undead Revenant sculpt plastered over with 'bandages', and shoved out at us.
- Brock riders are no longer beserk looking dwarves, and the fur on the brock looks like it was sculpted from blu-tack rather than green stuff.
- Basilean sisters changed from being awesome looking warrior nuns to generic looking robed females, with the disappointing side effect of their body proportions being way out of size (arms way too long and at odd angles, necks too long, plastic surgery looking faces, only two stances for legs and upper torso, flails held badly in addition to a static sculpt having a whipping flail head which looks out of place)
- Trolls have hands bigger than their heads, yet legs so tiny they could fit on an orc. Look massively out of proportion in comparison to the initial sculpt
- Paladins on foot have big hand/long arm syndrome, much like the sisters. Look better than them though, but massively out of proportion to what a lot of the other Mantic sculpts are like.
- Werewolves have massive ungainly hands, but that's not so bad. Huge nipples, but they're easily fixed, legs still too weedy.
- Ogres look good! Unfortunately, you were getting them as a buy one get one free for $25, which gave you 6 of them, hinting they would be $25 for 3 regularly. The recent price list given has them at $29.99 retail for 6. So that's only a 16.5% discount in comparison to other miniatures in the line. So it would have actually been cheaper to wait for them to go on regular sale and get them through a discounter who will likely offer 20+% off. Lame.

These are the problems identified thus far. I am guessing as more time goes on, more and more sculpts will come out and also be shown to be very lackluster.

I was only pledged at a small amount to get the KoW hardback rulebook. When I heard about the Cat Cavalry and all the other cool stuff being released for the Celestians, I pledged to $225. Now I am stuck. I hate the sisters, the paladins are 'eh', I don't think the mounted paladins will be much different, and so I am really hoping beyond hope that the plastic sprue of Men-At-Arms is really really good else I have just pledged for nothing. Most of the freebies I get won't see any use, or won't be wanted because they look terrible. And I still have $195 worth of choices to make, since what I want has definitely changed since I made my initial pledge for a bunch of Celestians. I am likely to use most of that to buy in Men-At-Arms if they're good, as they can be used as Empire Troops. Everything else? Not really. Why get the ogres now at the price they are offering when I could get them from a discounter at a much better price? But that leaves the problem of what if the Men-At-Arms suck? Then I am really screwed as they might be my only option.

I am a huge Mantic fan. They got me back into the gaming scene with their undead. However, if this is how they are going to treat their kickstarter customers, by showing artwork for one thing then delivering something completely different, then I don't think I will pledge for any of their kickstarters in the future. It's just not worth it.

Expect to see buttloads of a lot of these terribly sculpted miniatures on ebay once they've been delivered. If you don't care about how things look and just want bodies, you could clean up nicely.

Gravy Train Robber
Sep 15, 2007

by zen death robot
Well, that certainly has me questioning my sizeable pledge to Deadzone. Have there been any problems of that magnitude with Dreadball at all?

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Send a message to Mantic, I'm sure they'll give you a refund.

We're already seeing most of the Deadzone sculpts, so I wouldn't worry.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

The Dark Project posted:

List of problems as I see it -

Where are you seeing these? I've only seen a handful of photos online, but they looked ok to me.

Gravy Train Robber
Sep 15, 2007

by zen death robot

MasterSlowPoke posted:

Send a message to Mantic, I'm sure they'll give you a refund.

We're already seeing most of the Deadzone sculpts, so I wouldn't worry.

Seeing the new Marauder Sculpts just instilled me with a lot more confidence, though I'm thinking of holding off on the EU Bundle until we know/see a bit more.

The Dark Project
Jun 25, 2007

Here's a good website which has most of the newer sculpts put there to see what's on offer.

Their latest shot of the Ogre is good. Fight Wagon for Orcs looks reasonable enough, and the Goblin Mincer is actually pretty cool, so that's a win. Again, my problem is I don't really want any of those miniatures so...

As for a refund, I will see when more of the sculpts are to hand. If the Men at Arms are good, I should be ok (I am going to have a fuckload of them though).

Phoon
Apr 23, 2010

Gravy Train Robber posted:

Seeing the new Marauder Sculpts just instilled me with a lot more confidence, though I'm thinking of holding off on the EU Bundle until we know/see a bit more.

I so sick of Orks but I am really digging these sculpts, especially the little hats.

TarDolphinorShark
Sep 25, 2008

Does anyone know how the add-ons work? Like say I want that Asterian/Forge Father bundle and that's it. Do I just donate the 50 bucks and fill out the pledge manager whenever it comes?

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Hope you're having an amazing day

TarDolphinorShark posted:

Does anyone know how the add-ons work? Like say I want that Asterian/Forge Father bundle and that's it. Do I just donate the 50 bucks and fill out the pledge manager whenever it comes?

Pretty sure the add ons require a $5 P&P if you haven't selected a reward level, but essentially yes, just make a pledge for $55 then when the campaign is done, you'll receive a questionnaire to ask how you want to spend your $55

TarDolphinorShark
Sep 25, 2008

Great, thanks! So I guess I just select no reward for now and wait for the pledge manager.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Yeah, I can see where you're coming from on those troll legs and the mummies. They're not awful sculpts, but the style definitely went in a weird direction. The other figures look like good models suffering a combination of bad paint / photos. Don't give up on them just yet! (But if you do, sell me your nuns.)

e: The arms that aren't holding double handed weapons definitely need about 2mm cut off the shoulders before they're attached, but I'll likely be using these as Repentia instead of GW's skeevy S&M nuns.

moths fucked around with this message at 14:18 on May 24, 2013

Daedleh
Aug 25, 2008

Update from Mantic regarding the BOGOF/RRP situation:

quote:

Hi guys, James here. Sorry in advance if this explanation doesn't *quite* make grammatical sense - bear with me

When we price things up on a Kickstarter campaign, we're working with theoretical figures. That's no different to how it would be if we were funding by way of a bank loan, financial backers, or selling off the large pile of Aztec gold that's hidden under some boxes at the back of the warehouse. It's stage one of a project - working out roughly how much we're going to sell things for. The difference is that in the pre-Kickstarter days, or indeed with any projects we still do that don't involve Kickstarter, the project goes through several stages before we sell anything. We get concepts and sculpts done, we send those off to get tooled, and most importantly, we then find out how much it will cost to produce the models. Then, by doing some accounting-fu (where words like "margins" and "gross profit" come up, and I hide in a corner), we come up with the RRP. This is the price at which we can sell the models while making enough money to cover the cost of production, wages for all involved, pay the rent, and put a little aside for a rainy day. (Fun fact! Some companies inflate that last part rather a lot. We make a point of not doing that.) Sometimes that figure is the same as what we'd planned. Sometimes it's a bit higher, or a bit lower.

So let's backtrack a little bit. With the KoW Kickstarter, we set a price for the Ogres based on what we thought the tooling costs, etc., would be. We decided they'd be about the same as the werewolves or trolls, so $25 for 3 sounded about right. Then, towards the end of the campaign, we offered the BOGOF deal, where you got twice as much as whatever you were previously going to get for the same price. Loads of people were understandably excited about this. At no point were these numbers the final RRP prices, though - we hadn't gone through those vital tooling stages to work out the margins and the gross profits and the whatever else.

Basically, long story short, the BOGOF was for the price on the Kickstarter campaign, not the retail price.

So tell you what we'll do. After all, we're Mantic! We listen. We try hard to make it right.

If you're not happy with the deal you're getting on your ogres, drop an email to stewart.gibbs@manticgames.com and he'll pick your order out of the pile and make sure it gets an extra bag of three ogres for each $25 add-on you purchased. So you're getting 9 for $25, which is $2.78 per miniature, compared to the $5 per miniature you're getting at retail. How does that sound? You need to get your email to Stewart before the survey deadline, i.e. before midnight BST on 02/06/13.

Hope that sorts a few things out

Seems a bit strange that they're only doing it if you specifically ask them to, but the offer is there.

The Dark Project
Jun 25, 2007

Yeah, it should come in regardless if you ask for it or not. But in any case, 9 instead of 6 is a much better offer.

If it turns out the Men-at-Arms suck completely, I might have an Ogre army coming my way.

Edit: Aaand with the Men-at-arms sculpts being revealed, I am now an Ogre player it seems. Sad.

The Dark Project fucked around with this message at 19:02 on May 24, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Hope you're having an amazing day

Just been looking at the deadzone kickstarter again, noticed 2 of the recon early birds have opened up so changed my reward to nab 1 of the 2 available and save myself $10, hurrah! :)