Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

quote:

There is however, only one way to get Don.

We have bundled together the Deluxe Gaming Mat and the Exclusive Topps Trading Cards into a deal called Core Expansion 1, at the special discounted price of $25!

If you pick Core Expansion 1 (in the survey after the project has finished) with the free credit included as part of The Will of Man ($100 and Early Birds) and up, we’ll include Don Manning with your pledge, for free.

Fuuuuuuuck that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phoon
Apr 23, 2010

Yeah I don't know what the gently caress they are thinking there except maybe Topps had these cards made and demanded they include them or something.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Yeah I think Topps had that in as part of the licencing tax. Actual card collector people are insane, though. It wouldn't surprise me if some backers are just in it for the four exclusive trading cards.

Daedleh
Aug 25, 2008

What shall we do with a catnipped kitty?

moths posted:

Yeah I think Topps had that in as part of the licencing tax. Actual card collector people are insane, though. It wouldn't surprise me if some backers are just in it for the four exclusive trading cards.

You're also assuming that they're going to be the only exclusive trading cards. IIRC Deadzone started out with some pretty eeehhhh stretch goals at the start to pad out the funding and I reckon we'll see the same here.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Yeah there may be a nice stack of them by the end of this. I'd actually love a reprint of the 60's set but I don't think that's in the cards. (Ha!)

I'm waiting for the tipping point when we start seeing really cool stuff like Martian walkers, but I imagine they want to keep momentum and not front-load the best ones.

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

To boldly be eaten where no grot has been eaten before!
Well I can just ebay the trading cards with a 99p starting bid willing to post to any wanker who'll buy them and probably make 99p back while keeping the deluxe rubber mat and jet pack guy.

I've just paid the extra $200 from the first survey for Deadzone and I'm looking forward to a colossal package in late Nov/easy December, because I went for lots of terrain and faction boosters. I'll get a 2nd package sometime next year with the plague zombies, not Squats, not Eldar and not Terminators.

There'll be a warzone kickstarter next year and Deadzone will have started me with some pretty big forces for some of the factions.

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...
I held off on the Deadzone kickstarter for decent reasons (had a few other Kickstarter projects pledged, wasn't sure about the rules, still a bit pissed off about Project Pandora -see below -, with Mantic launching so many Kickstarters I wondered if they could do them all properly), but the stuff looks sweet. Now wish that I'd pledged.

A few people have asked about Project Pandora: Grim Cargo, and I can weigh in on this. PP:GC is basically Space Hulk - scenario-based, asymmetrical skirmishes across a set of corridor and room tiles, between a few tough humans and fragile but respawning aliens. Someone called it "Space Hulk Lite", but I reckon the rules are around about the same level of complexity.

And the game is ... so-so.

There's nothing hugely wrong with it, but a whole of small things that drag the experience down:

- Game comes in a fragile, thin box
- Likewise, game tiles are fairly thin and lightweight
- Rulebook is small and printed in a tiny font. But you can *buy* a PDF copy from Wargamevault
- Rules are terse or under-explained in places so there are some obvious questions about how things are interpreted.
- If you query the rules, you get directed to the "Living FAQ" page on the designer's website, where he halfheartedly answered questions for a while but then abandoned.
- When he was answering questions, often they weren't answers but promises to answer them "soon" or expressions of incredulity that anyone was having any problems.
- Most of the scenarios seem to have balance problems. Although this may be related to rule interpretation.
- Miniatures are fiddly to assemble and a little fragile.
- Mantic seem to have basically abandoned the product.

This makes it sound worse than it is. The miniatures are nice, it's not very expensive and I'm a sucker for the "dudes in a hallway" genre of games. Mostly I'm frustrated that it's nearly a good game.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
Do they get normal bases in Project Pandora? I had a :psyduck: moment when I learned that no, those little inserts are how you're supposed to balance your models in Dwarf King's Hold. Seriously, I'ms upposed to buy separate Mantic bases for a game that is supposed to be complete right out of the box?

Also, if it's almost a good game it's almost a reason to buy it :v:

VVV: Thanks, but I have a long list of crawlers to buy (and paint :v:) already.

Pierzak fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Oct 10, 2013

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004

Pierzak posted:

Do they get normal bases in Project Pandora? I had a :psyduck: moment when I learned that no, those little inserts are how you're supposed to balance your models in Dwarf King's Hold. Seriously, I'ms upposed to buy separate Mantic bases for a game that is supposed to be complete right out of the box?

Also, if it's almost a good game it's almost a reason to buy it :v:

They do - as in the mini's are on a tiny 1cm base and a bunch of 2cm bases that these can glue into are provided. (Dimensions done from memory.) This worked for me as I instead glued them to coin bases to give them a bit of heft.

You know, it's not too expensive and nearly plays well enough that while I wouldn't encourage anyone to buy it, I wouldn't particularly discourage them either. It might work for you.

Phoon
Apr 23, 2010

I'd probably get it if it had unique minis, but they're just the same as in the normal units. I would like a corridors game though.

EDIT: Presumably dwarf king's hold is basically the same?

Phoon fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Oct 10, 2013

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004

Phoon posted:

I'd probably get it if it had unique minis, but they're just the same as in the normal units. I would like a corridors game though.

EDIT: Presumably dwarf king's hold is basically the same?

Kind of. The PP sequence, combat and rules are basically those of DKH, except the melee is simplified a little. DKH has a slightly tricky mechanic where in a single melee "scrum" (a bunch of figures in contact), you can't concentrate attacks on a target at the expense of ignoring others. Which is logical. I haven't played it as much but it seems to work better and be a better developed product. Note that the box and tiles are still pretty cheap and thin.

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

Dwarf Kings Hold took off and sold plenty of copies and got expanded to include all the races.

Project Pandora: Grim Cargo didn't. I picked up a couple of copies for £15 for the minis, which I was satisfied with. It's a similar level of complexity to Space Hulk and it might be nice to see Mantic do a version now they've evolved more as a company, but don't expect too much from it and be prepared to mess around with the rules and customise it to give you a more fun game.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Mantic's put up some playtest rules for Mars Attacks if you wanted to see them to make a decision on backing the kickstarter:

http://gallery.mailchimp.com/e62f0c35454fa3ba687404d69/files/Mars_Attacks_Playtest_Rules.pdf

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

Swagger Dagger posted:

Mantic's put up some playtest rules for Mars Attacks if you wanted to see them to make a decision on backing the kickstarter:

http://gallery.mailchimp.com/e62f0c35454fa3ba687404d69/files/Mars_Attacks_Playtest_Rules.pdf

And they're fairly decent. Bunching up is a bit suicidal given artillery strikes and heat rays but the basic mechanics are all fine. The cards are fun, and I plan on printing the rules out and trying a solo game or two this week.

Kickstarter is on almost $400k, with the first expansion about to be funded. They've already funded a Martian Saucer, human truck, 2 extra Martian units, a bunch of extras for the boxed game and a bunch of characters and stuff. Giant robot will apparently be $500k.

Looks like a good set to introduce kids to miniature gaming.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

My game store is starting to get into Dreadball and I gotta say its pretty depressing how little "presence" it seems to have online in various forums and stuff. I know they all can't be as popular as GW or Privateer stuff, but drat even the Mantic forums aren't very active with discussion about it. I hope the game is doing ok, it is rather fun, guess I'm just worried about my FLGS dropping it after I get most of a team painted like they did bloodbowl.

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!

Galaga Galaxian posted:

My game store is starting to get into Dreadball and I gotta say its pretty depressing how little "presence" it seems to have online in various forums and stuff. I know they all can't be as popular as GW or Privateer stuff, but drat even the Mantic forums aren't very active with discussion about it. I hope the game is doing ok, it is rather fun, guess I'm just worried about my FLGS dropping it after I get most of a team painted like they did bloodbowl.

Yeah, practically no one plays it here, either one-off exhibition matches or league play. I looked up that world map on Mantic's site that shows who plays Dreadball, Kings of War, Warpath, etc. near you, and there's exactly three people in my area... meaning the entire San Francisco Bay Area. :(

Hopefully once I get all my stuff painted up, I can introduce people to it since I've told people at my local gaming group that I have the majority of the stuff that went on for sale during the Kickstarter to gain interest in the game (and a few people have expressed interest), and we can get Dreadball Ultimate matches going since that would mean I could teach multiple people at a time how to play instead of doing constant one-on-one matches to teach new players.

But there's just so much stuff to paint. :negative:

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Hope you're having an amazing day

There's a fair number of people who play it at our club, it helps that a couple of regulars at the club are constantly arranging tournaments for games including dreadball so that helps keep it going.

Daedleh
Aug 25, 2008

Newsflash:

Deadzone officially launches in February 2014 for £59.99. HOWEVER, there is a pre-release edition launching as soon as the Kickstarter copies in November have shipped. This is a limited 5,000 copy release and contains a metal limited edition miniature - "likely the Survivor". Once these have been sold, DZ won't be available as a separate game until Feb 2014.

For reference on the scale, the initial KS and pre-release copies will amount to more than the entire first 6 months of Dreadball. That's before the game is even officially released.

I've also been reliably told that there will be "Loads of stuff!!" available for sale at the open day.

Please remember that the OFFICIAL release is Feb 2014. Once these pre-release copies have sold then that's it until then.

Phoon
Apr 23, 2010

I'm pretty excited, but I have no idea where I'm gonna put stuff.

Has anyone got any Dreadball season 3 teams? The plastic on the giants seems different to anything from seasons 1 & 2, I was wondering if the teams are the same.

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Daedleh posted:

Newsflash:

Deadzone officially launches in February 2014 for £59.99. HOWEVER, there is a pre-release edition launching as soon as the Kickstarter copies in November have shipped. This is a limited 5,000 copy release and contains a metal limited edition miniature - "likely the Survivor". Once these have been sold, DZ won't be available as a separate game until Feb 2014.

For reference on the scale, the initial KS and pre-release copies will amount to more than the entire first 6 months of Dreadball. That's before the game is even officially released.

I've also been reliably told that there will be "Loads of stuff!!" available for sale at the open day.

Please remember that the OFFICIAL release is Feb 2014. Once these pre-release copies have sold then that's it until then.

Awesome to know, whereabouts did this news tidbit come from? Not seen any KS updates from Mantic but I don't religiously follow their blog / facebook feed etc.

Daedleh
Aug 25, 2008

enri posted:

Awesome to know, whereabouts did this news tidbit come from? Not seen any KS updates from Mantic but I don't religiously follow their blog / facebook feed etc.

I'm a Pathfinder so pretty close to some interesting tidbits of info! Also interesting is that all the terrain should be on its way in the first wave, including the landing pad, fortifications and broken pieces. The rest of the sprue/hard plastics should be in the second wave so I was surprised that we were getting all the terrain expansions in the first.

Phoon posted:

I'm pretty excited, but I have no idea where I'm gonna put stuff.

Has anyone got any Dreadball season 3 teams? The plastic on the giants seems different to anything from seasons 1 & 2, I was wondering if the teams are the same.

The plastic on the giants are a new mix of restic but I'm not sure what other teams have been cast in it yet, if any. I got the Zees which seemed to be the old mix. The new stuff seems to have got good feedback (fewer moldlines and easier to remove) so it's a good bet that it'll start being used for other restic models once the current stocks have run out. Not sure how long that'll take.

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Daedleh posted:

I'm a Pathfinder so pretty close to some interesting tidbits of info! Also interesting is that all the terrain should be on its way in the first wave, including the landing pad, fortifications and broken pieces. The rest of the sprue/hard plastics should be in the second wave so I was surprised that we were getting all the terrain expansions in the first.

Aha, excellent :) I can barely remember what extras I added on, I got the $150 pledge level and about $80 of extras, so whatever turns up turns up, I'll be happy one way or the other.

I remember seeing an update that some of the enforcer and plague models had gone down the hard plastic route, I presume these won't be amongst the wave 2 we'll be waiting for given they were in the initial pledges right from the word go? Going to have to have a nose and see if I can find that update now.

edit: found it, enforces, asterians and the forge guard in hard plastic :v: KS update

enri fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Oct 15, 2013

Daedleh
Aug 25, 2008

enri posted:

Aha, excellent :) I can barely remember what extras I added on, I got the $150 pledge level and about $80 of extras, so whatever turns up turns up, I'll be happy one way or the other.

I remember seeing an update that some of the enforcer and plague models had gone down the hard plastic route, I presume these won't be amongst the wave 2 we'll be waiting for given they were in the initial pledges right from the word go? Going to have to have a nose and see if I can find that update now.

Yeah they managed to tool quite a few plastic sprues out of it which should be wave 2. Of the top of my head they were the plague zombies, enforcers, peacekeepers, and some forgefathers. I got to see the plague zombies and enforcer test prints and they were absolutely gorgeous. The DZ starter box doesn't really lend itself to the hard plastics though - they'd have to stick a sprue in plus a bag of bits which isn't ideal. They want to starter box to be as few parts as possible asides from the terrain.

The plastic sprues should be available for the wave 2 survey I think, though I'm struggling to get a definite answer on that front.

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Awesome, well, whatever turns up in wave 1 turns up. I went in at the strike force level with around $80 or so of extras added on (curse you Mantic! :argh:) - so I'm sure wave 1 will give me plenty to be getting on with :)

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Has there been a more firm date on shipping? I'm getting more excited about this as we near the end of October.

Daedleh
Aug 25, 2008

moths posted:

Has there been a more firm date on shipping? I'm getting more excited about this as we near the end of October.

The current ETA for everything to arrive at Mantic HQ is week commencing 23rd and they'll be turning it around as fast as humanly possibly. That's not 100% absolutely definitely set in stone however. Mantic are planning to have loads of stuff available at their open day on the 30th (and any KS backers have a free ticket to that btw!) so might be operating a pick up on the day deal then. Again, nothing set in absolute stone on that front.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

That's awesome, and the possibility of getting it by my birthday made my day a little brighter. And I totally understand that that's tentative best-case unofficial scheduling.

Man, I'm really looking forward to Deadzone. Do you know if there's been any Warpath developments?

Daedleh
Aug 25, 2008

That's really, really up in the air at the moment. They have no idea where to take it. Ronnie is keen on the idea of "mass battles", so the equivalent of Apocalypse, being the standard game. To do that he wants to multibase ala Kings of War. In a sci-fi 28mm game. I'm not keen in the slightest. In my experience, Warpath2 has been much, much better received than the first one but there are a few very vocal people on either side.

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Daedleh posted:

The current ETA for everything to arrive at Mantic HQ is week commencing 23rd and they'll be turning it around as fast as humanly possibly. That's not 100% absolutely definitely set in stone however. Mantic are planning to have loads of stuff available at their open day on the 30th (and any KS backers have a free ticket to that btw!) so might be operating a pick up on the day deal then. Again, nothing set in absolute stone on that front.

Wait, do you mean we're looking at the end of November? Or is the stuff due in at mantic at the end of this month? :o

Getting a little bit giddy :3:

Daedleh
Aug 25, 2008

enri posted:

Wait, do you mean we're looking at the end of November? Or is the stuff due in at mantic at the end of this month? :o

Getting a little bit giddy :3:

Sorry! Week commencing 23rd NOVEMBER, NOT OCTOBER. I keep thinking we're in November already! My bad!

But they're expecting it in the last week of November. Then they need to turn it around. It took them a little over a week for the third shipment of Kings of War (plus time for shipping) and Deadzone has about 3 times as many backers. There's only so much that temp staff can do (and the majority of packing problems in shipments come from temp staff) and only so much room in their tiny little warehouse. The pathfinders are strongly encouraging Mantic to operate a "pick up your Kickstarter at the open day" thing.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Daedleh posted:

Ronnie is keen on the idea of "mass battles", so the equivalent of Apocalypse, being the standard game. To do that he wants to multibase ala Kings of War. In a sci-fi 28mm game.

The solution here is to set digital printers to 25% and make something... Epic.

enri
Dec 16, 2003

moths posted:

....and make something... Epic.

Pretty please mantic, pretty pretty pretty please :allears:

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Nothing could cement Mantic more as "Those other guys but without the suicidal management" than a 6mm mass-combat sci-fi game with clean rules and good, cheap figures.

Signal
Dec 10, 2005

moths posted:

...and make something... Epic.

I would give them all my goddamned money.

...And I already own too much Epic. >.<

EDIT: Hell, 15mm would be pretty awesome too.

Daedleh
Aug 25, 2008

moths posted:

Nothing could cement Mantic more as "Those other guys but without the suicidal management" than a 6mm mass-combat sci-fi game with clean rules and good, cheap figures.

I absolutely agree. I would absolutely LOVE this. I think they do need to sort out the Warpath side of things first but I think that Ronnies idea of "mass battles" is a ruleset that could be played equally at 6mm or at 28mm.

In other news, I'm getting very close to finishing my Ogre army for the KoW tournament on Saturday:

Not pictured are the 20 painted Goblin scouts, 8 unpainted goblin scouts and 5 unbuilt catapults (to go on those very blank bases). I'm actually planning to run them as Kingdoms of Men with Ogre allies:
code:
KoM:
================================================
2 x Ogre Regiments - 380
2 x Ogre Troops - 230
Knights Regiment w/The Fog - 215
5 x Trebuchet - 300
2 x Army Standard Bearer on horse - 70
Army Standard Bearer on horse w/Healing Charm - 65

Ogre Allies:
================================================
Red Goblin Scout Regiment - 130
3 x Red Goblin Scout Troop - 210

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
I think if you play Mantic games like Dreadball you have to operate under Historical Miniatures Rules. Many of you may not know these, because you come from GW and PP games where this idea doesn't really exist. But the gist of it is that you need to own both sides of the conflict. If I have an army of 15mm 30 Years War Swedes, I don't walk into a gaming club expecting to find some dude with a 1600's era 15mm Cossack army sitting around by chance. I can expect to find people who want to learn or play games, and in that case if I have both Cossacks and Swedes we can play a game.

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!

El Estrago Bonito posted:

I think if you play Mantic games like Dreadball you have to operate under Historical Miniatures Rules. Many of you may not know these, because you come from GW and PP games where this idea doesn't really exist. But the gist of it is that you need to own both sides of the conflict. If I have an army of 15mm 30 Years War Swedes, I don't walk into a gaming club expecting to find some dude with a 1600's era 15mm Cossack army sitting around by chance. I can expect to find people who want to learn or play games, and in that case if I have both Cossacks and Swedes we can play a game.

It's why I bought practically everything during the Dreadball Kickstarter (same with Deadzone). :negative:

Phoon
Apr 23, 2010

Yeah I buy every dreadball team for this reason. Haven't got any mvps yet - waiting to see which mvp comes free in deadzone.

Signal
Dec 10, 2005

I did this with Malifaux and Infinity, which really helped those games take off here.

..but after everyone else got armies, I kept buying more stuff. :shepspends:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phoon
Apr 23, 2010

Seriously considering going to that open day, its only an hour or two away.