Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Hope you're having an amazing day

Daedleh posted:

In other news, I'm getting very close to finishing my Ogre army for the KoW tournament on Saturday....

Ok, I'll bite.. KoW hasn't really interested me to date because I've shifted my gaming priorities away from games with masses of troops to smaller skirmish based games but this got my attention (given the slew of new models released from the KS project)

Is there any way to have a nose at the rules (like a taster PDF or core rules or something?) prior to buying into another game system? Might just grab a few minis to paint in the near future at the very least.

El Estrago Bonito posted:

I think if you play Mantic games like Dreadball you have to operate under Historical Miniatures Rules...

Signal posted:

I did this with Malifaux and Infinity, which really helped those games take off here.

..but after everyone else got armies, I kept buying more stuff. :shepspends:

With the number of different games out there these days, this is pretty much a given that you're going to have to invest in more than one force to guarantee you'll ever get to play the drat thing.

The difficulty I find with this approach is new games.. how the hell can I give someone an intro to a game I've only just read the rules for? I need to play dozens of games before a set of rules start making sense.

:smithicide:

Phoon posted:

Seriously considering going to that open day, its only an hour or two away.

Might see if I go along too, if they set up a collection thing for deadzone on the day then I could conceivably pass it off as a prize... for er.. something with my wife.

"Hey honey! Look what I won in the er.. raffle!"

:ninja:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

VoodooXT posted:

It's why I bought practically everything during the Dreadball Kickstarter (same with Deadzone). :negative:

I didn't back Dreadball, but I did this with Deadzone too :downs:

But last month I bought the Dreadball starter kit on sale, already painting the Marauders and planning to get at least the Robot, Forge Fathers and Teraton teams as well

:negative:

Phoon
Apr 23, 2010

The rules are on the Mantic site under "free rules" as well as a bunch of army lists.

At least I think those are the most up to date ones.

Edit: They split orcs and goblins into different armies so now I have one small army and two half armies. Guess I'll have to buy more goblins...or a Basilean force.

Phoon fucked around with this message at 11:06 on Oct 16, 2013

Daedleh
Aug 25, 2008

What shall we do with a catnipped kitty?
Yep, rules are up here: http://www.manticgames.com/free-rules.html

It's not got the full list of magic items from the hardback yet but all the core rules and most of the army lists are there. Still missing the Basilean, Nature and Abyssal army lists but no idea when they'll get stuck up.

Here's an old-old battle report that was played online if you want to see how the game plays: http://www.scribd.com/doc/154512297/Pete-vs-Nick-Battle-Report

Edit: And don't worry about taking a few games for the rules to settle in. When we're demoing Kings of War we generally don't need to steer the players at all after the 3rd turn. Hell, last time I did a demo day I showed it off to two guys for the first time in the morning who then took over demoing and were teaching others all afternoon.

Daedleh fucked around with this message at 11:20 on Oct 16, 2013

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Perfect, I'll give those rules a look

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

My favorite thing about kings of war is that the rules support playing it incredibly cheaply. You use wound markers to indicate damaged formations instead of removing models, and formations are all fixed sizes.

This means I can make a zombie formation that "should" have 30 models in it and instead make some sort of cool diorama that's the right base size and get by with no rules confusion.

There's also someone here (Serotonin?) who plays KoW with 15mm models.

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Swagger Dagger posted:

This means I can make a zombie formation that "should" have 30 models in it and instead make some sort of cool diorama that's the right base size and get by with no rules confusion.

This is precisely what made me ask more about it up there ^^^

I saw Daedleh's images of his ogres, remembered about the lack of casualty removal and realised that there was a lot of modelling potential there... then proceeded to browse the mantic webstore :) Oh dear oh dear... those £29.99 deals look pretty nifty

Pretty much read the rules in my lunchbreak, they seem pretty straightforward too.

Phoon
Apr 23, 2010

For those diarama bases do you cut off the circular tabs on the models or cut a space in the base for them?

Seems they'd be difficult to remove on some models without loving up the feet.

Daedleh
Aug 25, 2008

Dioramas you say?

Phoon posted:

For those diarama bases do you cut off the circular tabs on the models or cut a space in the base for them?

Seems they'd be difficult to remove on some models without loving up the feet.

I tend to cut the tabs off for most models, but you can get away with doing that just for the outer models. Static grass tends to cover up the tabs pretty well if the model is mostly concealed by others.

Alternatively, Warbases sell movement trays specifically for Kings of War which have the 15mm slots for the tabs in them.

Paper Kaiju
Dec 5, 2010

atomic breadth

Daedleh posted:

Dwarf Diorama

:black101:

gently caress, I wish I had the spare income so I could start doing this poo poo. Seems likes a combo-hobbyist/gamer's dream.

Phoon
Apr 23, 2010

Those warbase trays are literally exactly what I was looking for an hour ago. You should put that link in the OP or something.

Daedleh
Aug 25, 2008

Yeah I really need to rewrite the OP. A LOT HAS CHANGED.

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of *blank*

Swagger Dagger posted:

There's also someone here (Serotonin?) who plays KoW with 15mm models.

Yep thats me.

I need to finish my dwarves!

No reason why you cant play Kings of War in 6mm or 10mm come to that.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Man, I know half the reason Mantic makes their games in 28mm is so they can be used as Not-GW minis, but drat it seems like most of their wargames would be even more awesome in 15mm. Then again I just like 15mm, so I'm probably biased.

TarDolphinorShark
Sep 25, 2008

What size bases do you use for different sized units in 15mm? I'm also interested in trying that size too. For my 6mm KoW I got some shogun 20x40mm magnetic bases so I could base troops of 10 and add them to a 40x40 or 40x80 movement tray to up the number of models, like these orcs of mine.

For my Boar Riders I have them grouped 5 to a 20x40mm base with the option to add 5 more on a movement tray

These are WIP pictures but they will be based and flocked eventually.

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of *blank*
Ive used 60x60 and 60x30.

Daedleh
Aug 25, 2008

Serotonin posted:

Yep thats me.

I need to finish my dwarves!

No reason why you cant play Kings of War in 6mm or 10mm come to that.

I always love seeing these :)

Mars Attacks robots are coming! As well as some sweet urban terrain sets:

I'm in love with the flying saucers myself and I'm torn between just getting one for the game or getting several so I can do some crashed saucer terrain as well. I had a sneak peak of the robot a few weeks back it looked equally sweet.

Full details: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1744629938/mars-attacks-the-miniatures-game/posts/630807

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Does anyone here know anything about Mantic points? I got the Dreadball retail box, and it had a card inside to attach my mantic points to, but I can't find any little sticks in the box that look like points to me.

Also those fantasy Orx are cool, but I'm not really into fantasy type games, I'm waiting for Warpath to get a solid start (and my Deadzone guys so I can get a good idea of which Warpath army I want the most)

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

On the dreadball team boxes the point is part of the cover insert.

Went to my FLGS and picked up my D-Ball team (Corporate) today. Decided to stay there and hang out while I cleaned them up and assembled them. Turns out I may not really have to worry about whether I'll get to play. My friend the owner has been doing some promoting and so far we have quite a few people interested, many of whom have purchased teams already. Thus far we've got (actually purchased):

3 Humans/corporate (1 being void sirens)
1 Forge Fathers
1 Veer-myn
1 Orx (and this guy bought two sets for "Home" and "Away" colors)
2 Teratons
1 Robots
2 Nameless

So yeah, quite a few people and a few more are interested but haven't gone for teams yet. :stare:

Funny thing is, we've only got 1 Dreadball Deluxe set so some of us discussed today options for acquiring some extra pitches and card sets. Extra card sets are only $9, but that doesn't come with ref and a ball. However the set with ref/ball/deck is $25 and that doesn't feel quite worth the money, I mean, $16 extra for one robot and a small ball. We could always greenstuff some balls and get creative with custom referees.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

edit: sorry, all the links in the thread on the mantic board I found are dead. There are some printable pitches on boardgamegeek but it seems to be down at the moment.

long-ass nips Diane fucked around with this message at 06:14 on Oct 17, 2013

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Oh yeah, I've seen most of those and mentioned them during the discussion. We were mostly trying to decide between having a few printed up locally at staples or kinkos or something and then laminated or mounted on foamboard, or whether to try out having them printed onto mousepad material playmats online. Personally I'm thinking of doing the playmat route myself, maybe even take one of those custom pitches and modifying it or trying to make one from scratch. Think of a team logo for myself, put it on the pitch and make home games genuine home games. :haw:

I've never done custom playmats though, so I have no idea how detailed/precise those mats can be, I worry it might turn out blurry or something.

Thank you for thinking to mention them though. :tipshat:

[edit] I'm also toying with the idea of photoshopping up a custom insert sleeve for my VHS case box. Those things seem pretty cool, does anyone know how well they hold up to actual use? I figure as long as I put a couple strong rubber bands around it to make sure it doesn't pop open it might actually do a respectable job.

I'm getting too excited about this stuff.

Galaga Galaxian fucked around with this message at 06:28 on Oct 17, 2013

Daedleh
Aug 25, 2008

Galaga Galaxian posted:

On the dreadball team boxes the point is part of the cover insert.

Went to my FLGS and picked up my D-Ball team (Corporate) today. Decided to stay there and hang out while I cleaned them up and assembled them. Turns out I may not really have to worry about whether I'll get to play. My friend the owner has been doing some promoting and so far we have quite a few people interested, many of whom have purchased teams already. Thus far we've got (actually purchased):

3 Humans/corporate (1 being void sirens)
1 Forge Fathers
1 Veer-myn
1 Orx (and this guy bought two sets for "Home" and "Away" colors)
2 Teratons
1 Robots
2 Nameless

So yeah, quite a few people and a few more are interested but haven't gone for teams yet. :stare:

Funny thing is, we've only got 1 Dreadball Deluxe set so some of us discussed today options for acquiring some extra pitches and card sets. Extra card sets are only $9, but that doesn't come with ref and a ball. However the set with ref/ball/deck is $25 and that doesn't feel quite worth the money, I mean, $16 extra for one robot and a small ball. We could always greenstuff some balls and get creative with custom referees.

Which FLGS is this?

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Daedleh posted:

Which FLGS is this?

Olde World Games in Vacaville (Solano County) California. That said they're moving location (still in town) and maybe changing the name sometime in the next few weeks.

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Olde World Games in Vacaville (Solano County) California. That said they're moving location (still in town) and maybe changing the name sometime in the next few weeks.

So close yet so far (Berkeley, CA here). :negative:

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Yeah, an hour drive is a bit much. Doesn't Berkley have a FLGS though (been a while since I've been down there)? Of course, I'll guess that if it still does, there is no dreadball scene.

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Yeah, an hour drive is a bit much. Doesn't Berkley have a FLGS though (been a while since I've been down there)? Of course, I'll guess that if it still does, there is no dreadball scene.

Yeah, Games of Berkeley but they don't do Mantic events (or sell Mantic products). The other closest FLGS is Endgame but they mainly do all the mini wargaming that GoB doesn't do (Malifaux, Infinity, etc.).

Daedleh
Aug 25, 2008

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Ta, I've sent a message "through the channels" to see if Mantic will send over some pitches and stuff. No promises, but they're usually pretty sweet about stuff like that especially if the owner's making a good effort at promoting. If you ever decide to have a tournament let me know and I can probably get some prizes sent over.

At the Clash of Kings back in February I took a Kingdoms of Men army using Fireforge's miniatures. Ronnie scrawled this in my rulebook:

I wanted to build an Ogre army but struggled to get it to work well against flyer or artillery heavy lists. Then a couple of weeks ago it clicked that I could use the Kingdoms of Men army list for my core Ogre units so I could take some lovely KoM units too.

This is what I started out with 2 weeks ago:

And now, gotta love that finished an army feeling:

Not my best quality army since this was massively rushed for a tournament tomorrow. Annoying thing is that I've not had any chance to practice with the army before the tournament. Should be fun! Anyone else in Stockport tomorrow?

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Daedleh posted:

Ta, I've sent a message "through the channels" to see if Mantic will send over some pitches and stuff. No promises, but they're usually pretty sweet about stuff like that especially if the owner's making a good effort at promoting. If you ever decide to have a tournament let me know and I can probably get some prizes sent over.

Wait, what? Are you like friends with Mantic or something? :aaa: That is very unexpected, but would be super appreciated! I was actually gonna go down to the FLGS today to start painting my Corporates. I guess I'll have to mention this. Thanks for the support. :tipshat:

I still kind of want my own custom pitch though, now if only I wasn't sucky at photoshop for thinking up a cool custom logo for my team.

Also those Ogres are awesome and if that is your *rush job* quality then jealously I hate you. Although I'm curious, are those tube launcher artillery bits something you kitbashed? They look pretty awesome.

Daedleh
Aug 25, 2008

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Wait, what? Are you like friends with Mantic or something? :aaa: That is very unexpected, but would be super appreciated! I was actually gonna go down to the FLGS today to start painting my Corporates. I guess I'll have to mention this. Thanks for the support. :tipshat:

I still kind of want my own custom pitch though, now if only I wasn't sucky at photoshop for thinking up a cool custom logo for my team.

Also those Ogres are awesome and if that is your *rush job* quality then jealously I hate you. Although I'm curious, are those tube launcher artillery bits something you kitbashed? They look pretty awesome.

Bestest of friends. I'm a pathfinder so I'm asked to promote Mantic, run demo's etc in exchange for sweet, sweet inside info and store credit. Like I say, I can't promise anything but I've certainly seen Mantic do these sort of things. Even for small ~12 person tournaments I've seen them provide £50 worth of prizes for free. Please don't say anything until there's confirmation either way since it could be taken as "HURR MANTIC SAID THEY WOULD SEND OVER FREE STUFF" if they don't.

That is my rush job but I conveniently took photos of the less bad units ;). The goblins are horrifically bad. Like the models but the mold likes are a pain. The rocket artilleries are based on the undead catapult with plastic tubing and spears.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Well, even if you were cherry picking, it all looks amazing in the group photos at tabletop distance, which has always been my policy. And yeah the tubes themselves is what made me think those artillery pieces were kitbashes (I love kitbashing mini stuff).

And no problem, I'll keep quiet, sorry. We probably won't be starting a league until we've done the move in a couple weeks anyways, but hopefully that just gives us time for everyone to get the rules down*, teams painted, and maybe get a few of the one-the-fence folks in.

I thought the Corporate guys were painfully generic looking at first, but after buying them and spending both a weekend fiddling with concept art in GIMP trying to figure out a paintscheme and seeing/cleaning up the actual minis they've grown on me. I'd still prefer open-face helmets but the only thing I can really complain about (besides the slightly excessive flash) is where the sprue pin was on the Striker's body. That was a bit of an odd spot to put it and I'm worried its gonna look obvious since I'm not that great at trimming. Oh well, and hey, since I've completely started rambling at this point I'll shut up, but not before posting a pic of the colors I'm thinking of using.

One friend I showed this to says it makes him think of Skeletor. Not sure how I should take that.

*Its really annoying when you're the only one who tends to sit down and READ the rules as opposed to have someone teach you or just skim through and reference them whenever needed.
No guys, Jacks can only move 1 hex when slamming or stealing. No guys, the sin bin only counts down during your own rushes. No guys, you can only throw strikes in those glaringly obvious colored hex zones.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Well, went down to the FLGS and painted a couple guys, have some lovely cellphone pics, maybe when the whole team is done I'll dig out my actual camera.

The little round divot in the bases are a magnet, the ball is also magnetized.

Also got to watch Teratons go up against Orxs, quite the punching match. It only ended in Sudden Death when the Turtles slammed all the Orx's jacks off the pitch (though the only fatality was a turtle). Also someone apparently ordered a deluxe set and someone else bought some of the bugs. I'm just totally surprised at how the game is taking off around here. A game I actually want to play is becoming popular! :woop:

Heck, maybe if things go really well I can see if people might be interested in other mantic games/rules, several of us have WHFB armies sitting around we don't do anything with. Though it seems half the reason people are getting to into Dreadball is the "Sports Game" aspect.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Signal posted:

EDIT: Hell, 15mm would be pretty awesome too.

This is from a few days ago, but I've always thought 15mm would be the absolute perfect scale for 40k.

S.J. fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Oct 19, 2013

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Dreadball stuff

You make me wish I still lived in Davis, then it would've only been a 23 minute drive.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

I've seriously thought about doing a 15mm Imperial Guard army with historical figures and 50% reduced-printed papercraft tanks. It's a wonderful scale and you get the fun of a hundred+ guys on the table without the laughable ground scale or the GI Joe sized toy tanks.

Speaking of big, holy poo poo that Deadzone box. I want to link it but I'm on my phone.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Deadzone box?

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

This!

moths fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Oct 19, 2013

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

To boldly be eaten where no grot has been eaten before!
See I'm pretty sure I've got two of these coming but I'm tempted to get a third.

So the enforcers in the box won't be hard plastic, but resin?

And has there been a rebs warpath list put up yet?

enri
Dec 16, 2003

That box is big enough to live in by the looks of it. Can't wait to get my grubby mitts on it :)

Signal
Dec 10, 2005

S.J. posted:

This is from a few days ago, but I've always thought 15mm would be the absolute perfect scale for 40k.

Definitely. I just sold off a bunch of my old IG to finance buying some 15mm dudes from GZG. 28mm is the best scale for Infinity, or Dreadball, but things like 40k (or Kings of War, IMO) are best with 15mm. I love me some 6mm too, but while that would work for KoW, you can't really do individually based stuff in 6mm too well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Oh man Deadzone is gonna rule.

Bigger box = better game. That's how it works.