Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Stochastic posted:

A really killer lens that can be had for just a bit more money?

Define 'a bit more'

The Canon 70-200L models are all highly regarded and the cheapest one isn't that far away from $500

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

Remember the Canon 50 1.8 is tiny and lightweight. The Sigma 30 1.4 is by contrast a monster (weighs the same as a Tamron 17-50)

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

rawrr posted:

Check to see if it has front/rear focus problems (where it will focus slightly in front or behind of the target). The ring in the front has also been known to come loose after a while, although I've never really encountered that myself.

Check the zoom ring doesn't have any noticeable play too - if it does its an internal screw backing out which needs to be fixed asap if you don't want more damage to occur

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

Turd Nelson posted:

So during my trip to Europe I gave my camera to my friend for a couple shots and apparently he manhandled my tamron 17-50 so much that now the zoom ring sticks and I hear a clicking sound when i zoom from 17-24mm. Moreover, the zoom ring sticks in different places and i'm afraid to use it for fears of damaging my lens any more.

Has anyone had any experience with sending their lenses to tamron for repair, and how expensive was it? My equipment is insured, but I have a $100 deductible and I dont know if it would be worth it to file a claim and spend $100 when I could get it repaired for $150. Any advice?

It probably wasn't your friends fault anyway - it's a good bet this is what happened: http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/sigma-tamron-tokina/694767-slight-play-tamron-zoom.html (yes you should definitely sop using it before its fixed)

It happened to my lens, and because there is no Tamron presence in this country I took it to the only local camera repair guy who opened it up and fixed it for ~$90NZD (from memory). He said it wasn't a particularly hard repair and I probably could have done it myself but I'm so useless with fiddly things I didn't want to take the risk.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

Martytoof posted:

Is there any real reason to use RAW+L?

I can't imagine a scenario where I'd use that.

With my Canon I use it travelling because jpegs are much easier to look though on a netbook.