Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

whereismyshoe
Oct 21, 2008

that's not gone well...

punk rebel ecks posted:

Thanks. And its a wide angle lens right? (Being that its 18-55mm)?

Sorry I just want to be 100% sure so I don't get screwed.

You should explain the situation which you're buying this for, it sounds like you're buying it for a friend or SO and chances are if they have any sort of "beginner" body they already have this lens

e: to answer your question it's moderately wide on a crop body, 18mm is like 27mm ish on crop

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

whereismyshoe
Oct 21, 2008

that's not gone well...

Legdiian posted:

What company makes those good/cheap replacement batteries? Yes I know a lot of companies do but there is one that keeps popping up in threads.

Sterlingtek. and order from amazon.

whereismyshoe
Oct 21, 2008

that's not gone well...

thevoiceofdog posted:

Also I'm looking for a relatively inexpensive intervalometer for my Nikon d7000

iirc doesn't it have one built in? or does it not let you do shutter speeds > 30s?

whereismyshoe
Oct 21, 2008

that's not gone well...

QPZIL posted:

That's why I go to as many antique stores and garage sales as I can... ONE DAY. One day.

This old guy in my neighborhood keeps slowly but surely liquidating his collection, every year at the neighborhood garage sales i go there and buy everything he's got. This year the best one was an Argus C-3 for $3. I keep telling myself the guy's got a Rollei or something stashed away that he'll bring out one day.

whereismyshoe
Oct 21, 2008

that's not gone well...
xpost from canon thread:

whereismyshoe posted:

Anyone had experience with the Tokina 16-28 2.8 ultrawide?

it gets better reviews than the twice as expensive 16-35 2.8L but i've never had experience with third party stuff before

whereismyshoe
Oct 21, 2008

that's not gone well...

Martytoof posted:

Just off the top of my head, something like the 85L or 135L would be decent for portrait-style or tight product shots with a soft background.

Alternately the regular 85mm f/1.8 if the 1.2 L is too pricey.

Or really maybe just the $100 50mm f/1.8 II.

It's a toss up in my mind. I'd personally go for the 85L if I had a good budget, 85 1.8 if I didn't.

Also perhaps invest some money in a lightbox and small light setup. It's a pretty easy DIY and great for product photography.

The regular 85mm is really underrated, the opticals are loving fantastic. who needs 1.2 anyways. or, for your crop sensor you might want the 50mm 1.4

whereismyshoe
Oct 21, 2008

that's not gone well...

somnambulist posted:

I wasnt sure where to ask this, so I'll put it here-

I'm looking around for a fan ( "wind machine" ) and I'm having a lot of trouble picking something. The only one that pops up on photo sites is the Bowens Wind Machine that is 1000 dollars (wtf? am I missing something here? )

I was thinking of buying something at home depot, but I'm having trouble finding something. Any recommendations? Suggestions?

I bet it's all bullshit and the marketing includes the word "buffeting" somehow

whereismyshoe
Oct 21, 2008

that's not gone well...
So I have like $40 in eBay bucks, what's the most useful photo thing I could buy for around that price?

whereismyshoe
Oct 21, 2008

that's not gone well...

Paul MaudDib posted:

Pentax ME (non-super) plus a 50/1.7

Already have a Spotmatic and 50/1.4 :smug:

HPL posted:

Spare batteries.

This might actually be the winner, strangely. Super boring but i've been wanting another battery for my 5DII for a while and this might be my chance. Or I might just get some weird off-brand TLR for the sake of having a TLR because they look cool.

whereismyshoe
Oct 21, 2008

that's not gone well...

Mr. Despair posted:

Sounds like you still need a proper camera.

There's no room next to my Hasselblad for an ME Super.

E: somewhat related, I ended up buying like 15 rolls of Acros in 120.

whereismyshoe fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Oct 10, 2012

whereismyshoe
Oct 21, 2008

that's not gone well...

Mr. Despair posted:

Well at least we can agree that Acros owns.

Reciprocity? What's that?

whereismyshoe
Oct 21, 2008

that's not gone well...

Wyeth posted:

17-40 is the best deal in L lenses by a large margin.

To me the extra stop isn't worth double the price and the big weight difference. Sure, it vignettes, which I like anyways and is a one click fix in lightroom if you don't.

Yeah, I love my 17-40. There hasn't been one instance where I've wanted that extra stop and couldn't just boost my ISO. 17mm on full frame is just awesome. That and my 85mm 1.8 are by far my favorite lenses.

whereismyshoe
Oct 21, 2008

that's not gone well...

Bob Mundon posted:

In what situations would you use one? Just really long shoots?

I think it's personal preference, really. I've always had one on my 5DII but i'm weird and am most comfortable with big clunky equipment. It also provides balance for bigger lenses

whereismyshoe
Oct 21, 2008

that's not gone well...

EvilElmo posted:

Mainly snowboard park shots (rails, jumps etc). Video and photo.

70-200 f4L (assuming you shoot mostly in good light) and an ultrawide of some sort (action sports people love these) tokina 11-16 2.8, sigma 8-16, there's a few options out there. I'm not too well versed on the video side of things, but i know primes are generally more desirable for that and the canon 85mm 1.8 is incredible for the price.

whereismyshoe
Oct 21, 2008

that's not gone well...

Casu Marzu posted:

40D is a drat good camera still if you don't plan on shooting over like ISO800. They're also really cheap lately on like FM and such. Contemplating getting one as a backup.

Yeah I bought one for my girlfriend and she loves it, has a lot of awesome semi-pro features like back button autofocus and the nipple (can't remember the actual Canon term for it)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

whereismyshoe
Oct 21, 2008

that's not gone well...

BetterLekNextTime posted:

my first L was the 70-300.

I started in 2010 with a T2i, 70-300 IS USM, Tammy 17-50 nonVC, and 100mm USM macro

2011: sold the T2i and 70-300 -> 60D + 70-300L, later + 50/1.8

2012: sold the Tamron 17-50, 100mm USM Macro,
bought Sigma 8-16, + Sigma 30 1.4, + 40mm 2.8, + 17-40L, + 100L macro

so far nothing this year... so far.

sounds like full frame is in your near future :getin: