Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thevoiceofdog
Jul 19, 2009

Terminally ambivalent.

Reichstag posted:

I don't know where the best place to post this would be, but I am looking for old crappy digital point and shoots that you might have forgotten you own. I want to collect quite a few of them to possibly give to people in a workshop type environment, among other things. So, I'm looking for first/second generation digicams, the sort of thing that advertises the fact that it's a WHOLE MEGAPIXEL, and that you might be willing to part with for the cost of shipping or a minimal price.

I actually may have one for you, I remember getting a really, really old digital camera from my advisor before finishing college. Give me a day or two to search through all the old poo poo I have, I'll send you a PM if I find it.

Also I'm looking for a relatively inexpensive intervalometer for my Nikon d7000, are there any decent options in the $50 price range? I don't really need wireless or anything like that, but I haven't really used too many of them so I'm kinda unfamiliar with all the terminology. All I really need is the ability to control my shutter speed longer than 30sec.

\/ Edit: Sure thing. It captures fine and takes AA batteries (actually it loving eats them) and if I remember correctly it uses SD cards.

thevoiceofdog fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Jun 26, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thevoiceofdog
Jul 19, 2009

Terminally ambivalent.

whereismyshoe posted:

iirc doesn't it have one built in? or does it not let you do shutter speeds > 30s?

Yeah, most of the newer Nikon DSLR's have a decent interval timer but you still can't extend the shutter past 30sec. I suppose I would also use it as a remote trigger since going through menus each time to shoot is kind of annoying.

thevoiceofdog
Jul 19, 2009

Terminally ambivalent.
The lighting thread seems to be ignoring my question so I'm posting this here as well, maybe someone has an answer for me. :v:

So it seems like people are recommending two manual hot shoe flashes in the Dorkroom in general: the Vivatar 285hv and (I think) Yongnuo YN-560. I'm looking to get a couple of these to start practicing some studio lighting. What are the differences between these two and which (if either) would you guys recommend?

Of course I'll also need stands, umbrellas/softboxes, clamps, and all that stuff. Does anyone have any brand recommendations for the various non-strobe equipment I need to get?

thevoiceofdog
Jul 19, 2009

Terminally ambivalent.
I've remained mostly uninformed about Leica for the last decade since I started studying photography. Anyone want to summarize what makes them worth their ridiculous prices? I'm assuming the glass must be really high quality and the focus extremely sharp, but that alone can't be worth several thousand dollars, can it?

thevoiceofdog
Jul 19, 2009

Terminally ambivalent.
That's kinda what I was expecting, glad I'm not missing a whole lot. All of my purchases in the last year have always been about practicality, and I'll continue to shop for equipment that way as I start building a lighting kit.

thevoiceofdog
Jul 19, 2009

Terminally ambivalent.
Hey guys. I'm looking for a wide zoom for my D7000, probably 10-24mm or something similar. Not really looking to spend $2000 on a nikon f2.8, budget is more in the <$1000 range. I've heard good things about other manufacturers like Sigma and Tamron but don't have any direct experience with them, and I find customer reviews on B&H to be very contradictory at times. Looking to use this for interior/real-estate type stuff but also looking for a wide angle to shoot concerts with. Do you guys have any recommendations?

thevoiceofdog
Jul 19, 2009

Terminally ambivalent.
No one here has used that lens, so I can't really consider it a recommendation and I don't feel like taking a chance to the tune of $500. I'm more interested in what people here are using for wide zooms and what they prefer for 3rd party manufacturers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thevoiceofdog
Jul 19, 2009

Terminally ambivalent.
Sorry, that was the only response I got and it wasn't quite what I was looking for. I'm currently looking between these lenses:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/619515-GREY/Nikon_2181_10_24mm_f_3_5_4_5G_ED_AF_S.html
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/583992-REG/Tamron_B001NII_700_SP_AF_10_24mm_f.html
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/633618-REG/Sigma_202306_10_20mm_f_3_5.html
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/823892-REG/Tokina_ATX175PROFXN_17_35mm_f_4_Pro_FX.html
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/918852-GREY/nikon_2207_af_s_nikkor_18_35mm_f_3_5_4_5g.html

Probably leaning towards the Sigma 10-20mm f3.5

thevoiceofdog fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Feb 9, 2015