Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

IceLicker posted:

Speaking of grips, I'm looking to buy one for my T2i but I don't want to pay $220 for the Canon version. Can anyone recommend a decent, 3rd-party, chinese knock-off?

Zeikos grip, maybe? I've heard good things about their d5000 version, probably going to order one tonight.

http://www.amazon.com/Zeikos-ZE-NBG5000-Battery-Nikon-D5000/dp/B002USUDDO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1341528534&sr=8-1&keywords=d5000+grip (links to the d5000 one, but the t2i is an option on that page).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

I just got a Yongnuo YN-560II and I've really enjoyed it.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

Dudebro posted:

Why get something like a Yongnuo instead of a Nikon or Canon flash? I see the word "manual", but how does that translate in real world situations? I don't know anything about the world of lighting, but I've been considering getting one of the Canon Speedlites.

Edit: sorry. I'll be reading the lighting thread as well

For what I'm using it for I can just set it once and forget it, so the cost savings were awesome. Heck, normally when I'm shooting the camera can't meter right anyways, so why not shoot the rest in manual.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

Martytoof posted:

Completely serious (albeit unlikely) suggestion: Pentax ME Super + 50mm + as much film as you can fit in your pockets.

Seconding this suggestion. Even if you buy something else spend 50 bucks and get yourself an ME Super, lens, and 5 packs of film to bring with you.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

FasterThanLight posted:

joinnnn us

It's terrible, everything else just feels clunky :(-:10bux:

Even the Pentax ME Super?

Of course not go buy a Pentax ME Super

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

QPZIL posted:

Unless you want to shoot manual :colbert:

Someone's a Poser.

In my experience a Super is pretty much the same price as a normal ME though, but I tend to buy them by the box.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

QPZIL posted:

ME Supers: the Zimbabwe dollars of photography.

The Future is Now, bitches.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

big scary monsters posted:

Well that's fine, but then you end up having to scan the photo of the photo.

I think you're doing it wrong, although I commend you for attempting to use a Pentax ME Super for everything.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

QPZIL posted:

Can we be Dorkroom BFFs?

we need to make a Pentax ME Superposters gang tag.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

The MX seems like a great camera if all manual is your thing.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

Its definitely smaller (and lighter) than the fujica I have. Here is one next to a d5000 and an STX-1.

I think the OM cameras are about the same size though. Not sure of any other 35mm slr's that size though.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

ExecuDork posted:

The ME Super and the MX are both pretty small, but the MX is slightly smaller. I don't (yet) have an ME.

35mm SLR collection 1 by Execudork, on Flickr

35mm SLR collection 3 by Execudork, on Flickr

I also have some advertising for the MX that came with mine. It claims the MX is
"The world's smallest, lightest, most complete, full-featured 35mm SLR"
I don't see a date anywhere on this pamphlet, but it's got to be circa 1980. It mentions the ME but not the ME Super.
I also have the owner's manual for the MX, it claims:
Body size: 135.5mm x 82.5mm x 49.5mm
Body weight: 495 grams.

I've got to scan these pamphlets in, they're full of really interesting stuff. I particularly like the comparisons to cigarettes in the MX propaganda.
"The Pentax MX itself is a mere 135.5mm in length. ONly slightly longer than a 120mm cigarette! Its maximum height of 82.5mm is no taller than the average normal sized cigarette!"

How difficult is it to change the aperture or shutter speed while holding a lit cigarette in the same hand?

Cumbersome, but not impossible with the two pentax lenses I have. They have pretty stiff aperture rings compared to my yashinon lens though.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

Cute as heck posted:

I think I desperately want an Epson RD-1 :\

So buy one.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

Cute as heck posted:

Ehehehehehehe :mmmsmug:

Anyone else in the 2kool klub?

plenty of us over here http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3499907

hope you can join us someday

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

SoundMonkey posted:

82mm is the pro filter diameter :smug:.

What if you get something with a red ring?

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

longview posted:

Representing the proest filter size: 49mm :smuggo:

My two favorite lenses use either 49mm or 82mm.

I hate buying filters, btw.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

I dunno, the d40 is the best dslr ever made.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

TheAngryDrunk posted:

17-50, no.
50mm, yes.

On a full frame body, Canon lenses that are designed "EF" (as opposed to EF-S) will work on full frame. Tamron has a similar designation for full frame vs. crop lenses, but I don't recall what it is.

The Tamron code is "Di". For dual format you see. For crop sensor lenses they're called "Di II", which stands for Crop Sensor Only. There's also "Di III" which stands for "Mirrorless Cameras"

It's very clear, really.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

whereismyshoe posted:

Already have a Spotmatic and 50/1.4 :smug:

This might actually be the winner, strangely. Super boring but i've been wanting another battery for my 5DII for a while and this might be my chance. Or I might just get some weird off-brand TLR for the sake of having a TLR because they look cool.

Sounds like you still need a proper camera.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

whereismyshoe posted:

There's no room next to my Hasselblad for an ME Super.

E: somewhat related, I ended up buying like 15 rolls of Acros in 120.

Well at least we can agree that Acros owns.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

Maybe it broke? Email tamron, their support's seemed pretty good to me in my limited experience.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

Radbot posted:

Just ordered a NEX-5N and I'm really excited - something that'll beat my D300 for image quality and low light shots, *and* I get to use my Grandpa's old Minolta glass with focus peaking? Hell yeah, real steel f/1.4 here I come. And at $478 for the kit, I bet I'll be able to sell it in a year or two for $250 at least, so it's quite a steal!

Seriously, I know the 5N is old news now, but it's shocking to me how that sensor can produce images comparable to nearly any APS-C camera.

It can do that because the 5N has an APS-C sized sensor in it.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

Martytoof posted:

I think the NEX is its own mount so you can't throw Minolta glass on there, but admittedly I haven't doublechecked this fact. Even by opening a new tab in Chrome and googling it. I mean I could have checked in the time it took me to post this caveat but here I am still typing and not checking! Oh well!

It's all about adapters man.

-posted from a hockey game

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

DoctaFun posted:

Thanks for the help, so this product here:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/98916-REG/General_Brand_58_52_58mm_52mm_Step_Down_Ring_Lens.html

Even though it says 58mm-52mm Step Down Ring(Lens to filter), this is actually used to make a 58mm filter fit a 52mm lens?

I guess I thought the part in parenthesis was in order with the diameter measurements listed, ie: 58mm = lens diameter and 52mm = filter diameter.

You've still got it backwards, and the terms in ()s do match the diameters. You're starting from a big size (58mm), and you're stepping DOWN to a smaller size (52mm).

So for that step down ring you link, the key is that you're stepping DOWN from a 58mm filter thread to a 52mm filter thread, i.e. you can fit a 52mm lens filter onto a lens that would normally accept a 58mm filter size.

A step UP ring would read something like 52mm-58mm

What you should do is just buy these
http://www.amazon.com/Fotodiox-Anod...step+down+rings

and

http://www.amazon.com/Fotodiox-Anod...step+down+rings

You'll have basically every step up/step down combo you could ever need for not much more than buying just one or two rings separately.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

Tamron 70-300 VC is worth looking at. Comes in under 400 bucks new, performs pretty well too.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

Clayton Bigsby posted:

Even if Pentax does have a patent, I'd imagine you could just buy the entire company for about tree fiddy.

Ricoh beat you to that, sorry!

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

Don't most flashes have a slave mode where they'll fire off of another flash? I know my cheapo yongnuo flash will happily trigger from across the room using my onboard flash as a trigger. Is that not an option for whatever reason?

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

Everything went downhill after the 2nd coming of Pentax, sorry olympusailures.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

Alpha Lyrae posted:

I want to get into photography as a hobby. I have a Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Point and Shoot camera. Is this decent enough equipment to get into the hobby? I plan on taking pictures outdoors.

No, you want a Pentax ME Super.

But seriously, that looks like a very solid camera that shouldn't hold you back much. If anything pick up a copy of Understanding Exposure to read before you start looking at new gear, and then just go out and shoot and see what you enjoy shooting. Maybe shoot in RAW and download the trial for lightroom too.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

Claw Massage posted:

Just got the Tamron 70-300 and stuck it on my t2i. Even with the battery grip, the lens probably still outweighs it. This thing is heavy. The zoom is interesting in that its very smooth until about 225-250 mm and then it gets tighter, and then goes back to smooth at 300. I wonder if it will even out over time, I got a sticky one, or that's just the way it is.

The vibration compensation is AWESOME. With it turned off, it's a shaky mess handheld at 300. Turn it on and press the shutter halfway down and it just dead stops. Maybe that's a common thing for decent lenses but I just can't stop playing with it.

Picture quality is just as nice as the tamarin 17-50, and way nicer than the canon 55-250 I was using before.

I think I am starting to understand the obscene amount of money people are willing to spend to upgrade their lenses. And ths thing was cheap (350 after rebate).

The zoom ring on my is fairly sticky all the way through, although it does get a bit looser on the line side. Makes it stay in place real well, so I like it that way.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

Get a pentax 67 with a 75mm lens, shoot landscapes on MF and reverse mount the lens for macro.

I'm only half joking.

e. but seriously maybe a nice wide angle lens for landscapes and then just use extension tubes for the macro?

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

rio posted:

I am thinking of getting a full frame camera on the cheap - I have potentially 700-800 bucks from selling a guitar amp so my budget would be pretty fixed.

I assume that I should basically be looking at the Canon 5D based on recommendations here. Unfortunately all my camera gear is tied up in the Sony NEX with a few native lenses and adapted manual lenses so I would not have any lenses to work with.

Any recommendations on what lenses I should look into at this price with the leftover from whatever the body would cost or bundled with the body? I have never bought cameras from ebay (except for a ME Super); is it fairly safe to buy used there or should i expect to pay more to be safe with keh or somewhere else? I will not have extra cash for lenses for who knows how long, so I definitely can't just get the body.

Just adapte the lenses you're using with your next to the 5d, it's pretty good about that (depending on the lens of course).

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

powderific posted:

You could buy that Metabones Speedbooster and double your number of focal lengths and get full frame DOF.

edit: assuming you can adapt your manual lenses to EF that is.

You mean the Metabones Speedbooster that literally costs more than a used 5d?

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

Ethanfr0me posted:

Can someone recommend me a decent scanner for scanning negatives? My max budget is $200

Epson v500 would fit that price range pretty well.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

BANME.sh posted:

Is there a secret to browsing KEH that I'm unaware of? I am trying to search and none of my keywords bring up any results.

I'm looking for Canon FD lenses.

Their search sucks basically. It's much quicker to just pick the category and go from there, (for example, to find canon fd lenses click 35mm -> canon manual focus -> fixed focal length lenses (or whatever type of lens you're looking for, zoom, etc). The categories are split up enough that there's almost never more than a few pages of results.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

Maker Of Shoes posted:

I have a D3100 with a cheap 55-200 I picked up used and have been having a ball shooting local city birds but more often than not I feel like I'd be happier with just a touch more reach (slippery slope, I know). I've been eyeballing the 55-300 and the 70-300. As far as the Nikkor brand is concerned is the drop off in picture quality really that bad in the 55-300 compared to the 70-300? I mean if I have to pony up for the latter I will but if it's insignificant I'd rather save the money.

Also, should I be considering off brand?

I've spent two days reading internet reviews but after the millionth momtographer comment of "GREAT LENS WOULD BUY AGAIN ++++++" I don't think I have a grasp on the picture quality difference.

Edit: Trust me, I'd love to go full frame and 400mm+ at some point but I basically walk around city parks and local lakes for pictures. And I'm not opposed to buying used or refurb'ed

Get a Tamron 70-300 VC, it's got optics as good as the nikon 70-300 VR, for the cost of the 55-300 (cheaper after rebate, and under 300 used even buying from amazon), with better VR than either.

http://www.amazon.com/Tamron-70-300...amron+70-300+vc

e. It is the Pentax ME Super of relatively cheap long lenses.

Dr. Despair fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Feb 11, 2013

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

nop posted:

OK, this is going to sound stupid but are there decent manual focus lenses for a D5100? Or conversely AF lenses that aren't don't have loose rings?

I'd love to get a prime in the 20-35mm range for under $300, but it looks like the only way I can do that is by chipping an AI/AIs or buying a D7000...

You can still use AI/AIs lenses on your d5100, you're just going to have to guess at the metering a bit.

The 35/1.8g fits in your price range real well though, is there some reason you want manual focus specifically?

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

K mount lenses will work too, BUT will need some modification to work right on a FF camera (the aperture lever can hit the mirror if you don't bend/take it off somehow).

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

HPL posted:

Try the Tamron Adaptall 90mm f/2.5 Macro. It's an awesome lens. Nice and sharp. I use it with my NEX 5N all the time. You can get Adaptall-to-EF adapters.

Is the 2.8 version better or worse?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

RoryGilmore posted:

I just started photography a few months ago, and started with a film camera, and have been only using that camera. Although I really like it, I want to be able to do digital as well, so I'm looking to start doing that and am looking for purchasing advice! (Budget is ~500$) The majority of my time is spent in parks/woods shooting architecture and scenery, but I also like to street shoot (which I guess I can save for film, since I doubt there's a camera that's the best of both worlds). Ability to shoot in low light would be great. I'm not sure if I should be looking for a low end DSLR kit, or if a P&S would be the best option for me right now starting out. If I need to buy lenses, I wouldn't mind starting out with a cheaper one and moving up once I learn more. Any advice would be great, thanks!

What film camera do you have? Decent chance you can share lenses with the dslr, so that'd be good to know.

If you don't mind the size of a dslr then there's no reason not to get one, a used dslr can be had for P&S prices.