Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tijag
Aug 6, 2002

PBio posted:

Hey guys, i've been stupid and have planned a 3 week holiday to the states, flying out on Saturday and I only have one battery and no car charger.

The particular camera (Canon EOS 450D) I have uses the LP-E5 battery, and so if anyone could point me in the direction of a place in LA where I may get a spare battery and car charger in that area, it would be very much appreciated! And if you know prices for that sort of thing, that would be pretty swell.

(Edit: This may seem like a stupid question, but seeing as i'm from the UK, the only store I really know of is Best Buy, and I've heard pretty bad things about the place in the past. I'd quite like to pop into a proper camera shop if I get the chance!)

Sammy's Camera are around in various places in LA and should have what you need.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tijag
Aug 6, 2002

Paul MaudDib posted:

Brand mystique. It's high quality stuff, sure enough, it's compact and light. But for most uses a Mamiya 7 will cockslap the Leica for a similar/lower price and there's usually specific alternatives that you can turn to that aren't the cost of a used car. For example, low light wideangle shooting, get a Samyang 35mm f/1.4 and a Pentax ME or Nikon FM2 and it'll be every bit as good as the Leica (although SLR).

I mean, even Rolleiflex isn't that expensive and their stuff has insane build quality with incredible lenses.

Specifically though, there is no reason a rangefinder is superior to an SLR is there?

tijag
Aug 6, 2002
I just have a hard time understanding why I would want this Leica, instead of an F100 for example.

Overall an incredibly capable film body. Generally speaking, would the F100 + 50mm f/1.8D take worse pictures than a Leica?

tijag
Aug 6, 2002

Martytoof posted:

I don't know how the 50 1.8D stacks up versus what you can get on a Leica M body, but I would say that it is highly unlikely you will see any quality difference in your photos.

Remember, cameras are just boxes for film, at the end of the day. If the lens is quality then the rest is just personal preference and convenience factors.

The F100 might even take better photos if you consider proper metering. On an M3 you've got to guess or deduce, or carry a light meter. If you set the F100 to fully manual then you shouldn't see any difference whatsoever.

I have an N90s which was, in retrospect, a dumb purchase because of its inability to work with G lenses.

However I have a 35-70mm f/2.8D and it does work pretty good.

The viewfinder is HUGE compared to my D7k, even though it doesn't offer 100% coverage. I like shooting film, but it's expensive, and time consuming. I'm apparently too lazy to actually do anything with my only hobby.

tijag
Aug 6, 2002

Laser Cow posted:

I bought a nice M6 last year, and I shot more rolls through it in 6 months than the previous owner did in the last 10 years. But gently caress scanning. I hate loving scanning. Everything before and after scanning, wonderful. But why the gently caress can I not get over my scanning hatred. It's making me not take my film cameras with me anywhere. I lent my digital stuff out to force myself to take some film stuff and now I'm just not shooting at all.

I wish I could afford an M9.

This is me with my N90s. I enjoy taking pictures. On my first 2 rolls [and only rolls] I got some decent results, but scanning... miserable, just miserable.

tijag
Aug 6, 2002

Awkward Davies posted:

Here's an actual gear question:

I bought a 5DII a year or so ago when I had too much money and thought a camera would make my feelings better after getting dumped. I've had a nifty 50 on it for a year, occasionally subbing in the 28-135mm (which I could borrow from school). Having graduated, and possibly looking to make some money from freelance photo, I'm considering what my options are for expanding beyond the 50.

Basically, I'm looking for a good all around lens for a 5D that isn't going to destroy my wallet. Most of the freelance stuff I'm looking for will be event type stuff, so a general purpose lens seems ideal.

Any advice?

I would think 24-70 f/2.8 L would fit your needs exactly? There is a newer and older version I believe, and I'm sure you'd be quite happy with the older version.

edit: That looks to be about $1300 used on Craigslist.

There is a new Tamron 24-70mm 2.8 that has IS [tamron calls it VC] that looks to be getting pretty positive reviews which you can get NEW for the same price as the used L glass [which doesn't have image stabilization].

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B007SNP02K...&hvptwo=&hvqmt=

tijag fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Jul 20, 2012

tijag
Aug 6, 2002
I bought a Sigma 12-24mm for my upcoming Scotland trip. I was initially leaning towards either the Sigma 8-16mm or the Tokina 11-16mm, but the 12-24 allows me to take wide angle pictures with my N90s, and on my D7k the 18mm or so is still a fairly wide FOV.

Meanwhile I also bought 3 rolls of Ilford HP5 400 and 5 rolls of Velvia 100.

I'll have the Sigma lens and my 35-70mm f/2.8D.

I'll be in the highlands and the west coast/islands of Scotland, for about 2 weeks at the beginning of October.

Besides my desire for an 85mm f/1.8G, I think I have everything I need for good photographing times.

D7000
35mm f/1.8G
55-200mm VR

N90s
12-24mm
35-70mm

tijag
Aug 6, 2002

Ethanfr0me posted:

I'm thinking of getting a Nikon D7100 as my first DSLR. Is the kit lens worth getting or should I just get the body + 1.8 50mm Nikkor lens for around the same price.

Also consider the Nikon 35mm 1.8 and the Sigma 30mm 1.4.

I would prefer either of those for my first lens, compared to the 50mm.

tijag
Aug 6, 2002
I saw the 24-70 f/2.8 VC Tamron lens on Rakuten for less than $900.

Should I be wary of that, or is it pretty reputable?

tijag
Aug 6, 2002
Is tristatecamera dot com a reputable place? I'm seeing much lower prices on a D750 and Tamron 24-70mm lens than i would otherwise be expecting. Is it all greymarket stuff?

tijag
Aug 6, 2002

SMERSH Mouth posted:

Man, looks like tristatecamera are the kings of outdated lovely P&S cameras. Literally hundreds of varieties. There are a few decent things offered for a little cheaper than you might see elsewhere, but that selection does seem kind of shady.

I'm sure it's just grey market camera stuff. the pricing for the two items I want [D750 and Tamron 24-70 2.8] make me think it is imports from Japan.

The only reason not to buy these is the warranty issues, right?

tijag
Aug 6, 2002
I'm going to be buying a Sigma 12-24 for an upcoming trip to Germany. Anyone have strong feelings or preferences between the old and new one?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tijag
Aug 6, 2002
I'm looking to pick up an F100. Anyone selling one ITT?