Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

joelcamefalling posted:

Aside from doing everything a lens does much better, what benefits does it have? I mean, I know it is significantly faster, significantly sharper, has significantly less CA and is significantly better built, but what have you done for me lately?!
Yeah, seriously, what are you looking for, Menorah on Fire?

All of the things ^^^ here are true, and any one of them would be enough to inspire many photographers to buy a different lens.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Prof_Beatnuts posted:

I don't really want to leave a limit because if I can't afford a beginner camera I'll just quit right now.
Photography is a notoriously potentially expensive hobby, but it doesn't have to be a bank breaker. I'd recommend digital because you avoid the ongoing costs of film / development, and it's not a horrendous price difference. You can start with a used DSLR for <$200 pretty easily, and it'll give you plenty of room and time to learn and grow.

Check out offerings from Canon and Nikon on https://www.keh.com (I'd link some directly, but their site is down for maintenance right now).

I get what you're saying by "I don't want to leave a limit", but seriously, we can probably give you better suggestions if you do tell us what you're willing to spend. An SLR is going to allow more control and creativity, but many people shoot great images on point & shoots. It's not the camera that makes a shot.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Martytoof posted:

In my own opinion, photography is (relatively) cheap to get into, but it's the sort of hobby where you very quickly realize that you get precisely what you pay for.

So it's also ridiculously easy to sink fist after fist of hundred dollar bills into, once you find out what the more expensive lenses and cameras can do.
Agreed 100%. I started with a ~$350 EXPENDITURE On a Rebel XSi, and I'm now over $4k into Nikon. *sigh*

Krakkles fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Jul 16, 2012

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

evil_bunnY posted:

Unless you use it professionally or buy collectibles, photo gear isn't really an investment.
I knew someone would latch onto that word :rolleyes:

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Prof_Beatnuts posted:

I'll go up to $500 total, meaning like the camera and any required gear. But something around $300 would be easier to swallow.
You've got tons of options. $300 should get you into a decent Canon setup pretty easily.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Prof_Beatnuts posted:

What would be the model I should be looking to get?
First, read this thread: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3387357&pagenumber=1&perpage=40#post387799440

Looks like on KEH, you'd be able to get into something like the Canon 30D (KEH/Wikipedia).

I'd definitely recommend looking around, waiting for one of KEH's sales, but something like the 30D would be an absolutely fine starter DSLR.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Martytoof posted:

I'm pretty sure this is forbidden in the bible somewhere
Everything fun is.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

TheReverend posted:

I inherited a Nikon D40 with some sort of close up lens and some sort of autofocus lens. The camera on my android phone is complicated enough for me. How much money could I be looking at if I tried to unload this thing?

Give us the numbers/letters on the front / sides of the lenses.

D40 with kit lens? Probably $150-200. Unknown macro? More likely the low end, but ... $25 - $500.

It could be some super rare macro lens, but what are the chances of that, right?

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

TheReverend posted:

I'm having trouchle finding model numbers.

Short one says: AF NIKKOR 50mm 1:1.8
Big one says:(DX)af-s nikor 55-200mm
and DX SWM ED [infinity]-.95m/3.12ft [null]52

You nailed it, those were exactly what we need.

A Nikkor AF 50 f/1.8 is probably worth about $80. They sell new for about $125.

The Nikkor AF-S 55-200 is probably good for about $125-150. Retail is $199.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

TheReverend posted:

Ok so 325 for everything, is that a fair deal?
Thanks for the help :)
If they're in great shape, you'll probably be able to get that. If they're not, adjust accordingly.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Do B&H or Adorama have any events or coupons that I could use to make a decent sized purchase (Nikon D500 body, ~$1999) a bit cheaper?

I'm open to other sites, but those don't charge tax where I live, so that's a big advantage for me right there.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

The Peak Design straps are really nice and easy quick release as well.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

jackpot posted:

That's really, really nice looking. It's hard to tell from pictures, does the strap really lock on tight to the clips? It looks like gravity holds them on as much as anything, but surely they're meant to be bounced around a lot.
They do. They actually clip in and there's a catch that holds them in.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Also, lesson I learned the hard way: don't buy the 1.4. It's only useful if you need f/1.4 in particular, basically all other apertures (and sometimes that one) suck on it.

There isn't a significant effective difference between FX and DX, beyond model variation (I'd look at reviews for each and probably buy whichever got better reviews) and future proofing (if you want to switch from DX to FX in the future, there's more of a sunk cost issue if you've already got good DX lenses).

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

I'm thinking about buying a Nikon 85mm 1.8G - is there anything else in the neighborhood I should be considering? I'd primarily use it for portraiture and maybe pseudo-macro? (It's supposed to focus at 2.62ft, at which I figure 85mm on DX would be pretty tight if not exactly macro.)

Will I love it? Is there anything to worry about with it?

Krakkles fucked around with this message at 21:20 on May 26, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

EPICAC posted:

I think I’ve narrowed it down to either the Canon 7Dii or the Nikon D500, and either the current Tamron or Sigma 150-600s.

Does anyone have any input on either choice?
The D500 is an absolute bonkers camera, and it has some definite strengths the 7D doesn’t - namely, 10fps with a 200 frame buffer, and autofocus that genuinely works in absolute poo poo light.

I can not recommend this camera enough. It’s amazing.