Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

Menorah on Fire posted:

Again, I didn't mean to come in angry and threadshit, I'm really just wondering what makes it ~special~ enough to be a default-buy for the forums. I like having an f/2.8 and I'd have undoubtedly gotten another, this just seems like a really small difference as opposed to picking up a Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8. And yes, I know the price reflects it -- I'm just saying this feels like looking for a car to replace your bike, then buying a motor-scooter. It'll get the job done, but it's no supermodel by any means.

Some people can't afford a Lexus, let alone a Ferrari. That doesn't mean they can't afford to get a Honda instead of a Daewoo. :iiaca:

The focusing noise is also not an issue for most of us who don't care about video. You have different needs, so of course you are going to need a different solution.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

Captain Postal posted:

Super Pedantry: a "Telephoto" is any lens with a focal length longer than the lens body. That new canon 40mm is technically a telephoto.

This is a telephoto:

this isn't (well, almost not):

It's kinda weird that pancakes are actually telephoto lenses. That's what you get when you build lenses with high refractive glass (and one day, meta-materials) :science:

Super Super Pedantry: a "telephoto" is a lens which includes a telephoto optical group, i.e. a negative optical group behind a positive optical group. This reduces the back focal length of the lens.

This 300mm lens is not a telephoto despite being significantly less than 300mm long :eng101:

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

nielsm posted:

But I believe its optical centre will be 300mm from the projected image plane when it's focused at infinity. Something like that.

Yes, that's the point. Despite it being a "lens with a focal length longer than the lens body," it's not a telephoto. As I said, the back focal length of the lens will be shorter on a telephoto.

Here's a Nikkor-T 270mm, which is actually a telephoto lens. It's physically just as long as the non-telephoto 300mm! But, of course, the back focal length is significantly less than 270mm.

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

Reichstag posted:

Things that either have chargers/hold their charge, or use a standard battery would be preferred, since really old custom batteries are hard to track down. :-/

I'm pretty sure that the G1, like my old G2, uses the BP-511 battery that a gazillion Canon cameras, including most of the DSLRS through at least the 40D (?) use. I'd happily donate some of my old off-brand BP-511s that still hold a charge.

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

nemoulette posted:

This is a dumb question but anyway: are there attachable waist level finders for any 35mm cameras? Maybe even for old Canon bodies? I really want to shoot at waist level but can't get into MF in the long run :smith:

You could get a Yashica T4 Super D with the Super Scope, but those are expensive now because of the T-Rich Tax.

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

ExecuDork posted:

It seems like a long shot, but does such a thing exist as a way to charge a camera battery (that normally plugs into a wall outlet) through a USB port? I can find plenty of options for going the other way.

I know a USB outlet is going to put out a small fraction of even the trickle charge that a battery charger normally draws, but something that would let me keep my batteries topped up using this thing (or something like it) on a week-long canoe trip I'm planning would be very handy.

EDIT: Regarding trips and the ME Super. Yes, that's a pretty good idea, but personally I'd be more comfortable with a DSLR. But bring a ME Super and a handfull of film anyways, it's always good to have a backup.

How about a 12V solar charger? Again less than ideal, but maybe enough.

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

ceiling fan pilot posted:

What is the general consensus on wet sensor cleaning tools in here? My used XTi looks like it has an old smudge that won't go away with just blowing air so I'm thinking maybe copper hill or photosol.
Anyone have any experience with either of these?

I used the Copper Hill kit with my 10D and always had great success with 1-2 passes. Much cheaper than the individually packaged Sensor Swabs, too.

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

a foolish pianist posted:

So I asked this in the general questions thread, but this thread is probably better for it.

I'm jonesing desperately for a Mamiya RB67, and I don't want to be an idiot about buying one. I handled one, foolishly, at B&H yesterday, but then ran away before I could spend the 700 they wanted for it.

KEH has a couple of them, including a bargain-grade one for less than two hundred dollars.

What should I know about these cameras? What's the best light meter or metering screen or whatever? Is there anything in particular I should be looking for? I know to check for the C after the lens ID to get a coated model.

Don't get the metered stovepipe finder, just get a good incident meter for like a third of the price and use the standard WLF for way less money. $700 is definitely way too much for an RB unless it comes with a whole bunch of lenses and backs.

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR
The main thing to be aware of is that if you have a lever clamp (instead of a screw clamp) you'll need to adjust your clamp every time you use a plate that's even slightly different from the others. I have an Arca Swiss brand universal plate that's definitely smaller than my Kirk and RRS plates.

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

evil_bunnY posted:

The only people I can see buying it are fx Nikon users. Canon has a 35/2 IS, Nikon has a 35/1.8 dx.

:confused: you know there are people who buy the Canon 35mm f/1.4L or the Nikon 35mm f/1.4 AF-S for reasons too, right?

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

teraflame posted:

Is the canon FD 85 f/1.2L worth it? Or should I just get a humble rokinon 85 f/1.4?

I think some of the other people who replied to you missed that you said FD. For what FD 85mms are going for, get something else.

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

RaoulDuke12 posted:

I shoot mainly video on my 5d mkIII, but I'm looking for something portable to backup/transfer my cards in the field. I shoot 32gb cards that fill up relatively quickly, all things considered, so I would need something with enough battery life to copy I would say at least 72-108gb of data before dying. The only device I'm finding that seems to accomplish this is the Nexto Di Digital Photo Storage ND2730 500gb, but it's kind of expensive and outdated, so I was wondering if anyone had any other suggestions.

a laptop

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

RaoulDuke12 posted:

I have a laptop, it's way too bulky to carry around with me in addition to all my gear. I need something simpler and smaller.

a smaller laptop

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

Mr. Despair posted:

The only good sensor is Portra, you weirdos.

Astia has superior sharpness while also not having over-the-top saturation like other slide films. Astia, I say, is the best sensor!! :spergin:

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

Platystemon posted:

It’s hard to beat large format.

lookit dat ground glass :drat:

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

Mr. Despair posted:

What the hell is that. Is it some like, secret reverse snipe or fyad gimmick?

http://www.newyorker.com/online/blogs/culture/2012/04/the-curse-of-the-diaeresis.html

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR
Just what is photography, anyway? I buy my cameras as investment vehicles.

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR
Hi, I'm your friend the lead-acid battery. I can party hard and party long, but I'm kinda gassy and if you don't maintain our relationship you'll never see me again.

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR
It's also worth checking their eBay store. http://stores.ebay.com/KEH-Camera-Outlet

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

BrosephofArimathea posted:

200mm is far, far too short.

Clearly all safaris are alike. Here's a picture my mom took in Kenya last week with her cell phone:

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

Thalamas posted:

Hey, my girlfriend is getting back into cameras and picked up a Cannon T3i yesterday. She really wants a macro lens, but doesn't have the money for one right now and it might be a year or so until she can afford a nice one. I was thinking about picking this up in this interim as a macro lens, but wasn't sure if it was worth it. My budget is around $200 and the reviews on Amazon say this is the best I'm going to find in that price range. Any advice? Can I find something better? Is this just a waste of money?

http://www.amazon.com/Sigma-70-300mm-4-5-6-Telephoto-Cameras/dp/B000ALLMI8/ref=sr_1_6?s=photo&ie=UTF8&qid=1385654069&sr=1-6

If she wants actual macro (as in big pictures of tiny things) save an extra $50-100 and get her a used EF-S 60mm.

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

800peepee51doodoo posted:

I had one of those a while back when I was first getting into DSLRs and got rid of it pretty quickly. I found it had really poor IQ and the "macro" really wasn't. YMMV though, its Sigma and I could have got a poo poo copy. Paul and BlandAverage are right about the 60mm macro, it'll do what she wants (close focus) for only a little more money. Adorama has a refurb for ~380 and you can haggle with them some. Ebay looks a bit cheaper if you're willing to do that.

KEH has an EX one for $299. I got one for my girlfriend on eBay for $275 a while back by being patient.

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

Delivery McGee posted:

Is there an aftermarket strap with swivels in it like this Canon one?

I love my Domke Gripper strap on my 5D2. http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/16178-REG/Domke_742_6BK_1_5_Web_Camera_Strap.html

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

404notfound posted:

How do I go about picking a light meter? I can see that Sekonic seems to be the most popular brand, but their model lineup (and price points) seem to be all over the place. What do I want to look for, and which features make the premium models worth those couple extra hundred dollars?

I have a L-758 and a Digisix, both mentioned above, and they're both great for their respective purposes. I had a Pentax Digital Spotmeter I loved but sold it when I got the L-758. I wanted the L-758 so I could have flash spot metering. I take just the Digisix when I want to travel light and don't need anything more than incident metering.

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

Shaocaholica posted:

Hahaha, lets stick some 8x10 lenses on the Q.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/101471-REG/Arca_Swiss_200004_8x10_Reducing_Board.html + http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/995354-REG/fotodiox_4x5_nk_p_pro_nikon_f_large.html + http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=&sku=995022&is=REG&Q=&A=details

:frogbon:

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

powderific posted:

There's a lot of info in this thread, I think it's from people that sell calibration stuff but good info nonetheless: http://www.curtpalme.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=11436

This is a 6 year old post and recommending a $500 calibrator for everybody is insane.

rio, just get a Colormunki Display.

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

Combat Pretzel posted:

Lytro's releasing a "professional" version of their lightfield camera, for some 1500 bucks. Too bad details are scare about the resolution of the images ("custom-designed 40-megaray light field sensor").

http://fstoppers.com/lytro-finally-introduces-a-camera-that-creative-professionals-will-want

Given that the 11 "megarays" in the first-generation Lytro produce an effective 1.2 megapixels, the 40 "megarays" in this one probably produce about 4.4 megapixels (assuming the relationship is linear).

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

1st AD posted:

A variable ND is useful for video, mostly because it's hard to find ND's that can reduce light by 10+ stops unless they're square filters.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/752927-REG/B_W_1066177_77mm_110_Solid_Neutral.html

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

dakana posted:

The amazing part is that it does sort them by focal length. But it puts a 100mm before a 17mm, a 300mm before an 85mm... it just uses the first digit. High school project imo

It was like this before. How did they completely redesign their website without improving it in the ways that would actually have mattered? :stare:

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

8th-snype posted:

I find it easier to focus when the image in the view finder is upside down, backwards, and at least four inches by five inches in size.

This, plus having a 5x loupe.

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR
Your non-AI lenses will work on D5x00 and D3x00 bodies, but won't meter. Someone should correct me if I'm wrong but I think for using manual lenses the main difference is that the D3x00 bodies don't have bracketing, MLU, and other minor niceties.

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

RangerScum posted:

Get a used D7000.

edit: I should elaborate more but google and compare its features to the D3300 and I think you'll see the benefit of spending a little bit more to get a much bigger bang for your buck. It'll still be sub-$1k.

If using his non-AI lenses is a priority, the D7000 won't work with those.

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

SMERSH Mouth posted:

What's the difference between a $10 off-brand CPL on Amazon, a $50 Hoya from my local camera store, and something along the lines of an $80 Promaster DIGITAL HD CPL?

Color casts, flare, contrast.

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

Mr. Wookums posted:

Need a tripod that collapses to less than 14", I'm thinking 3 legged thing Punks-VYV and I'm using mirrorless. It appears they're discontinuing the magnesium one for a half pound heavier aluminium but I don't need the extra load.

Other than the magnesium guy, are there tripods around 200 that collapse nice and small that I'm missing?

Is 14" a hard limit? There's a lot more choice if you're willing to go to 16" or even 18".

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

xenophule posted:

I'm positive this has been asked a hundred times in the eight incarnations of this thread, but searching for "photo printer" or "printer" proves to bring up a plethora of unrelated posts and all you guys have been talking about the past umpteen pages is lenses and shady craigslist deals.

So I'm looking for a printer to print off some of our better pictures ranging from postcard- to A4-size and (like everyone) don't want to spend a mint. On the same note it doesn't need to print the most amazing clarity. We shoot mostly landscapes, flowers, birds, and fancy buildings/castles.

I know the usual printer trap where the printer is cheap but the ink will cost you a second mortgage, and I'm wondering if there's a variety of printer out there that fits the sweet spot of reliability and cost effective.

I feel like I've asked a lot and I do expect y'all to tear this post apart, but I would feel less of a man if I didn't give it a shot :synthy:

If you're still in "Seattle-ish" look for a Canon Pixma Pro 100 on Craigslist. They get bundled with Canon's DSLRs for cheap and people sell them without even opening the box. Don't pay more than $175.

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

elgarbo posted:

Has anyone ever bought anything online at Robert's Cameras / Used Photo Pro?

I'm looking to get some new Mamiya c330 lenses and their prices seem notably cheaper than Keh - and international shipping to Australia is cheaper too... all of which makes me wary.

I bought an LF lens from them on eBay and it was a totally normal, smooth transaction. I'm guessing they just don't have the same amazing return/exchange policies as KEH - not that you'd be able to take advantage of that easily anyway.

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

BANME.sh posted:

*Used* accessories, otherwise they would have to include film in that deal :v:.

Why isn't Portra on sale anywhere :qq:

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

feigning interest posted:

I always scroll past it thinking it's the Pentax thread; a mod should put "Fuji" in the title so people will actually open it

it also says "buy/sell thread"

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR
Gossen Digisix.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

evil_bunnY posted:

You do *not* want to be lugging a FX body with fast zoomy glass on a trip abroad, believe you me.

Why not? Given the phrase "stay abroad" I'm guessing this isn't backpacking across Europe or something. In any case I've taken my 5D2 on many of my travels in addition to my 4x5 kit and the results were worth it. I just sold the 5D2, but when I go to Japan next month I'll be taking my Pentax 6x7 (basically an oversize SLR) kit and X100T. If photography is important to you (as it sounds like it is to Ineptitude's sister) it's easy to justify taking as much camera as you'll actually use.