Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrEnigma
Aug 30, 2004

Moo!
I just picked up a 60D with the kit lens. 4-5 years ago I had a Digital Rebel (300D) so it's nice to be back. Got the 60D with the 18-135mm zoom, but now looking for something telephoto'ish.

My choices so far are:

50-250
70-300
70-200 L

The 70-200 L that I would get would be without IS for cost, so that's a ding against it. The 50-250 and 70-300 while built differently, but seems a lot of people recommend either or.

For value, it seems the 50-250 is the one to go with?

Edit: I would like to shoot some video as well, so I guess quiet AF might be needed.

MrEnigma fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Jun 20, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrEnigma
Aug 30, 2004

Moo!

HookShot posted:

I used to have a 50-250 and then upgraded to the 70-200L f/4 without IS.

The difference in quality between my 50-250 and 70-200 is AMAZING. If you can pay the extra, do it. I haven't missed the IS so far, I mostly shoot birds and wildlife with the lens, and so it's usually daylight and bright enough that I can get well over 1/200 shutter speed.

Ok, that's good advice, thank you. I wasn't thinking that with a telephoto you're probably going to be outside most of the time.

The only other thing I feel bad about, is having an L lens on a 60D body...although I had a Digital Rebel with a 17-40L on it (although not white just the red ring so harder to tell).

MrEnigma
Aug 30, 2004

Moo!

BetterLekNextTime posted:

You're joking, right? (serious answer- get a battery grip, because the balance is likely to be a little funny with a big L telephoto. I have a 60D and 70-300L, and it's much easier to hold with the grip).

Was slightly joking. Had a battery grip for my digital rebel back in the day. I really liked it, but it made it huge, so I'm not sure if I'll do it or not this time. Probably will :)

MrEnigma
Aug 30, 2004

Moo!

Seamonster posted:

70-300 owner reporting in. I sold my 55-250 to get it and I will tell you there is a noticeable upgrade in image quality. However...the 70-300 is practically unusable at 300 wide open. You must stop it down to f/8 to get shots that don't blur out. That said, the extra little bit of reach is nice as well as the fact that the lens WILL NOT vignette on any crop sensor body at ANY aperture/focal length setting. Note sure you can do better for ~$350. Call me a cheapskate*, but the price doubling between the 70-200 f/4L IS and non IS models and the TRIPLING between the 70-300L and non L are real dollars I could be using for something else. Like rent. And food.

*I do own a 24-105L as I cannot stand EF-S lenses

The F/4 70-200 non-IS is on the refurb store for $579 with 20% off, if it ever comes back in stock. So that puts it really close to the 70-300. Granted the 70-300 is $519 with 20% off (and it's in stock).

Edit: I almost got a 50 F/1.8 and the 430ex flash this morning, but both went out of stock before I could check out :(

MrEnigma
Aug 30, 2004

Moo!

Menorah on Fire posted:

Plus, the STM is a major bonus.

How does STM Work, just holds focus for the camera? Like I could hold the af button when in video mode?

Edit: Apparently on the Rebel T4i can do it?

MrEnigma fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Jun 21, 2012

MrEnigma
Aug 30, 2004

Moo!
I put magic lantern on my 60D, and it makes focusing easier. I can also hit the AF-ON button and it will refocus (badly usually) during video.

The best part about magic lantern is the focus peaking, showing red lines on what is in focus, so it's a lot easier to follow with...

MrEnigma
Aug 30, 2004

Moo!
Local seller has a canon mount Tamron 17-50 for $350. I know there is a VC and non-VC of this lens, any other things I should watch for? Seems like a pretty good price.

MrEnigma
Aug 30, 2004

Moo!

rawrr posted:

I don't really understand why they need a big ugly plasticky unit to literally do the same thing as the eyefi, at like 4 times the price.

Is it maybe faster than the eye-fi? That'd be the only redeeming feature, especially now that pro level cameras are starting to get SD card slots.

It's not really the same at all. Via USB they are able to control the camera, take photos, change aperture, etc. I'd assume at some point they may be able to get live view working or something similar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrEnigma
Aug 30, 2004

Moo!
Just picked up a used 17-50 tamron, loving the 2.8 and the 17-50, (had a 17-40 L before and liked it). But holy cow IS THIS THING LOUD. BZZZzzzt BBBBZZZZTttt