Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?

MrEnigma posted:

Local seller has a canon mount Tamron 17-50 for $350. I know there is a VC and non-VC of this lens, any other things I should watch for? Seems like a pretty good price.

Indeed it is a good price given its clean, works properly and isn't from a soft batch.

This is more than likely NOT the VC version of this lens but thats ok because you don't need it anyway and supposedly the non-VC version performs ever so slightly better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
I had the chance to use both a 50 1.2L and the 85 1.2 a while back and I can't even imagine trying to use those lenses wide open on something even remotely moving. Studio glass indeed and I commend anyone who is able to do otherwise.

Edit* - Yes I'm completely blind and somehow missed the FD part. I used EOS.

Verman fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Apr 23, 2013

Verman
Jul 4, 2005

Bubbacub posted:

The 100-400 might be too slow for zoo portraits. You might want to poison the animal feed so they stop moving and are easier to photograph.

Most zoo animals have lost their will to live, no poison needed.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
I went in to the camera shop that my buddy works at to pick up a Sigma 30 1.4 for a good price, but then they had none and they are now discontinued.

Bummer. But then again, it was just another lens to carry and $350 not in my pocket. Although Ive been wanting a fast 30 prime for my 50D, I took it as a sign that I will continue to scour the used market for a better deal.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005

fivre posted:

Both the old and new (ART) versions are definitely still around; the old one may be discontinued but Amazon still has them.

My friend was trying to get me the old (not art) 30 1.4 for $325 new but their store was sold out and couldn't get anymore from Sigma or their other locations. I wasn't really interested in the Art lens but I will probably just try picking up an old used version cheapish.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
I did the same thing. I entered with Olympus and saw the prices for new lenses and the lack of a solid used market as a reason to leave.

When I switched to Canon I had to buy everything, body, lenses, batteries, flash. It was a pain but now I have a wide variety of lens options and the used market makes getting good glass relatively cheap and easy. The other positive is that canon gear is available pretty much anywhere. Renting lenses is easy and you can find more places that will have a canon or nikon accessory than sony/pentax/oly/etc.

I hate to say pick Canon or Nikon, but it is much easier later down the road if you go that route than the others.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005

xzzy posted:

If you don't mind going used, you can get a T1i off ebay for around $300. An XSi should be easy to get under $300. These cameras are definitely getting long in the tooth, but you can still take great photos with them, and they accept pro lenses just fine. Might be a decent option if you think you might get into photography in the future.

I would suggest more towards a 30-40d. They can be had around the same price but are way more user friendly in my experience.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Ive done off brand grips for my cameras and they have been fantastic. The one on my 50D is currently an adorama brand that I might have paid $40 for and its been solid. Grips are actually pretty simple to produce and dont require much technical engineering so there is really not a lot of reason for them to cost $200-300

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Just came across this video as I got into work, and figured I would post it here for all those people who still feel the need to buy UV filters to protect their lenses. Take it with a grain of salt but glass seems a lot tougher to scratch and damage than most people think.

http://petapixel.com/2013/07/08/video-torture-testing-the-front-element-of-canons-thrifty-fifty-50mm-f1-8-ii/

Verman
Jul 4, 2005

NoneMoreNegative posted:

Just me, unpacking the car after a busy day shooting.

WTF is the context of this?

... durr I should probably have not just clicked the "last post" quick link.

Jesus christ yeah there should be some sort of legal action taken.

Verman fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Jul 12, 2013

Verman
Jul 4, 2005

Miko posted:

Or it's dark as poo poo in this church and here comes the bride, ffffuck 1/15 shutter speeeeeeeeed

My first wedding. Catholic church pre-ceremony, I practiced on a few people walking down the aisle to get my setting dialed in. It was dim but doable since flashes were not allowed and I was pushing my iso to balance something usable with fast enough shutter to not be shaky, fast enough aperture to bring in light but small enough to get a decent amount of things in focus. A few shots later, I had the result I wanted.

Bride and groom appear ... and they shut the lights off. The only artificial light was coming from the altar and it was completely different color than what was previously available.

I must have had the biggest WTF look on my face and probably said something out loud along the lines of Gob from arrested development "COME ON ...."

I ended up quickly just setting auto iso, and shutter priority to 1/60th to be safe. Grainy photos became black and white and that was about the only way I could salvage what I shot. They were satisfied especially since it was one of those "sure I'll shoot your wedding for $400" ordeals.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005

xzzy posted:

Now if only KEH would give their site a usable search function.

(someone had to bring it up)

Thank you. I love KEH but gently caress if their site isn't the most 1994 styled annoying thing to use.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005

Mr. Despair posted:

I've got cowboy studio triggers and a Yongnuo flash, the yongnuo stuff is much nicer feeling.

Cactus v5 transceivers are awesome too.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005

ShadeofBlue posted:

Yah, a plastic hood shattering acts like a pillow for the lens itself. All of the force of the impact goes into throwing the pieces of plastic around. A metal hood might absorb some of the impact by denting, but not nearly as much.

A metal hood will do more damage if dropped than a plastic hood. Cars don't come with metal bumpers anymore because it's better to absorb an impact by shattering than to try and live through it.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
I would suggest a monopod in addition to nice glass, you might not always have the luxury of time/space to use a tripod and a monopod will work great to give you more stability than handholding.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005

mobby_6kl posted:

I have both and prefer the nifty fifty for portraits, it's faster and so much sharper that it's not even funny. The Tamron is much more versatile, obviously, so keep that in mind if you can only have one lens.

Same for me. I've got both the 50 1.8 and the Tammy 17-50 2.8 and the 50 makes a much better portrait lens. I would still prefer an equally fast and sharp 30-35 1.8 on a crop though

Verman
Jul 4, 2005

Bob Mundon posted:

If you had to have one which would you go with though?

Although if his budget is truly $500, you could easily get both used.

^^^Yeah, wouldn't trade my Sigma 30 1.4 for anything (except maybe a newer version). For portrait work though, just have to get in a little too close.

For quality/performance/price then go for the 50 if you're doing head and shoulders portraits. For versatility then go for the 17-50 you lose some of the shallowness of the depth of field but you get all kinds of range.

To be honest I would rather have the 30 than the 50 if I could make that choice again.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
I've sort of thought the same thing. I'm also still on the 50D and have yet to really feel compelled to upgrade.

Everytime Canon rolls out a new crop, I get excided until I see it and hear the reviews then I sit back down and put away my wallet. The 7D was the best so far (video/AF) but not enough to warrant a slight improvement.

I've debated swapping over to FF but the cost is too high for me at the moment, and I don't have any experience with the 6D so I'm either going to wait until they release a better crop or improve upon the lower level FF which means I'll probably just pick up a used 5d3 in a year or two.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
I thought I recall my camera store friend saying it would run around 800 but I could be wrong.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005

Chekans 3 16 posted:

Calumet Photographic is having a liquidation sale following their bankruptcy. All their stock is 10-40% off, including the stuff that they used to rent out. YMMV, but if you have one near where you live it might be good to go check it out if you're thinking about getting anything. I'm heading out this weekend.

I got that email too but they forgot to include a date and time. I will probably check out the store near me to see if anything is worth it. 10-40% doesn't really make my toes curl but given photography It will probably be cleaned out before they do any serious markdowns. It would be great for people looking for a big purchase if they haven't already cleared out the high ticket items. I would love to pick up a case for my lights and possibly some background stands or sweeps

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
While not specifically "on camera" gear, what does everyone carry their lighting gear with? Ideally I would love a rolling pelican or skb case but I was seeing if there was anything less than $300 to look at.

I've come across some soft wheeled cases on Amazon and adorama but they still hit around $200-250 in which case I would just pony up for the nicer pelican.

I've got three monolights, stands, umbrellas soft boxes etc and it would be nice to not transport then via a Rubbermaid tote and a duffel bag. My camera stuff stays in my backpack.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Thanks for the suggestions, its sort of what I expected. All the sub $100 either looked pretty flimsy, were really small, or had terrible durability reviews.

I was originally looking for something like this
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/522969-REG/Photoflex_FV_SLBAG2KIT_Transpac_Dual_Kit_Case.html

Then I started looking at this guy for $65 more
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=&sku=606112&gclid=CKTQ87699L0CFa1j7AodzXwATQ&Q=&is=REG&A=details

Wheels are important because I'm tired of carrying all that gear across a parking lot or trying to put it onto a cart if I don't have to. Showing up with my backpack and a wheeled kit would be incredible.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005

1st AD posted:

I think Google is actually working on something like that where it applies DOF in post.

I was reading this as well but can't find the article that I read it in at the moment. I thought I recall hearing a specific way the camera takes the photo in a sweeping motion or series of photos and allows you to pick a focal point in post.

*EDIT*

Here it is

http://googleresearch.blogspot.com/2014/04/lens-blur-in-new-google-camera-app.html

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Is the sony RX100 mk1 still a solid option for a compact? I want something other than my gripped 50d/lenses for travel and backpacking trips where weight and space - or the lack thereof - is important. $400 is sort of the upper end of what I would ideally like to spend but I wasn't sure if anything out there came close to the rx100 for less. All the reviews I've come across have said this is a solid camera and the video samples Ive seen have been incredibly high quality.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005

SoundMonkey posted:

This. Refurb iMacs are real decent, and the Mac Mini is, always has been, and always will be absolute loving idiot garbage.

I don't think I've ever used one of them regularly without wanting to throw it off a bridge. However, I do applaud them for making tasks such as "connecting a USB drive" super tedious.

I picked up a refurb 27" imac with a 1tb fusion drive (holy poo poo fast but not quite full ssd fast), ram increase, upgraded video card, and it ran me about 2k if I remember correctly. Its been incredible for photo retouching/design/video editing given I don't do a ton of heavy video editing or anything.

http://store.apple.com/us/product/G0MS5LL/A/refurbished-27-inch-imac-34ghz-quad-core-Intel-Core-i7

Verman
Jul 4, 2005

spog posted:

I've just scored an ex-display Sony RX-100 for a paltry £95

Not sure if I should keep it or flip it?

If I ebay it, should get maybe double that? Or use it to replace my Canon S90 which is great, but shows the limitation of the sensor.

I've got a Panasonic GF5 with a good prime that is pocketable and top-quality, so is it redundant?

Nice, I've been looking for an rx-100 for a while and thats a great price.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
My main tourist walkaround lens is either my tamron 17-50 2.8 or sigma 30 1.4.

Then again I'm trying to do away with my dslr as a travel camera all together and going for a premium point and shoot like an rx100.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
I just picked up a Sony rx100 m2 for $400 off Craig's list. Showed up to meet the seller and it was one of my old hockey teammates. Small world I guess. Now I've got my pocket travel camera.

Now if only I could convince my wife to let me pick up a 70-200 2.8 and 2x extender for our trip to Africa in May.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005

KinkyJohn posted:

There are proper rental places in South Africa if you're heading through there

I thought about renting. The only problem is that we're flying from cape town to a game preserve out near Swaziland (but still in SA) and flying out of Johannesburg so I wouldn't be able to return to where I picked up. We'll be gone for 10 days and the thought of dropping $200 on a rental isn't appealing. That's just money towards a keeper lens.

The other option was to pick up a 70-200 4 for cheap and trade it up when I return for a 2.8 before my next wedding.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
I was in the same boat. Originally I was going to go with an rx100 mk1 because I saw them for $300 everywhere online. Then I found a mk2 for $400 on CL and I bought it. Honestly its a ridiculous camera and will replace my SLR on nearly every trip I go on, especially my backpacking/hiking trips.

Just buy an RX100 mk1 and be done with it. You won't buy a better camera for the money/size. It has been voted the best pocketable camera for the last few years, and only competed with itself when they released new versions.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Same with my Sony rx100 m2.

Once you set up the camera, as long as you have a device with NFC the image transfer is really simple. You can find the image you want to share in your camera, tap your phone to the bottom of the camera, and the image transfer for that image happens automatically. Its pretty simple but you still need a separate phone/device to make it happen.

I would say that if someone really just wants something to take photos and go instantly to social media, you're probably going to sacrifice image/camera quality for convenience. A smart phone or smart camera would probably be the most ideal situation.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
You could always go for an rx100 Mark 1.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Also look at Sony mirrorless as their low light performance is hard to beat.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Whatever you buy, I found my monopod to be insanely useful on my safari. Some of my photos were getting shaky when fully zoomed in.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Broken glass (from a broken filter) will easily scratch your lens. Most other things, very unlikely. Even so, scratches on the front element rarely affect the performance anyway.

Lenses are very durable.
http://nofilmschool.com/2013/07/durable-glass-modern-lenses-cheap-canon-50mm

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
I love my rx100ii but I also have an slr so it's not my only camera. I bring it anytime I hike or travel though because it takes great photos and it's small.

If I was just getting into photography I would probably prefer a detachable lens system though as it offers more flexibility (not limited to one lens) but that's not to say you can't still take great photos with the rx. Someone in the landscape thread just posted some ridiculous photos in there with an rx100 so keep in mind that the camera isn't the limiting factor ... but digging through menus and settings in a point and shoot will slow you down versus having dedicated buttons on a body.

Just my two cents

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
I brought my monopod on a safari and it made a world of difference especially at the long distances sometimes.

Oh and tell him to click click click, then set down the camera and look at it in real life. I would hate to only see a safari through a lens. It's a once in a lifetime trip for some so make sure to actually experience it in real life too.

300 on a crop should be enough for most scenarios. I only had my 70-200 2.8 on a canon crop body and it was fine. Honestly the biggest issue is light. Most safaris are driven in the morning and evening. Early mornings can be dim but usually okay. Evenings start bright and get too dark to shoot with any usable iso, basically pitch black.

God I want to go on another safari ... :smith:

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Love my rx100ii. It's my most carried camera and dedicated hiking/travel camera. The image quality is beyond impressive for a point and shoot.

I've also got my dslr stuff but the convenience of the compact makes it nicer to carry more often.

Sony mirrorless is pretty nice option as well. I've heard great things about the a6000.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Yes.

I like my rx100ii as well as my big honking slr but what you described is a perfect reason for mirrorless detachable lens cameras.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Verman
Jul 4, 2005

Aphex- posted:

Speaking of spare batteries, official canon ones are pretty expensive. What third party ones are good? Any I should stay away from?

Sterlingtek batteries are my go to camera batteries. They've been reliable and longer lasting than oem batteries in every camera I've had. Canon, Sony, Olympus.

They've been around a while and the batteries have never given me a single issue.