Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Death Dealer
Jul 25, 2006

100percentjesusfree posted:

I'd rather not. :stonk:

On a more serious note, yeah, it took ages - wasn't helped by the fact that it gets really repetitive walking down the same corridor over and over again, fighting the same fights, so I had to take breaks now and then to maintain my will to live. :v:

To be fair, I think just about anyone that has ever played the game has had to take breaks during that quest. I think I just listened to podcasts during it so I didn't mind it as badly, but I'm almost positive I went through at least two hour long podcasts before I was through with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GeneralYeti
Jul 22, 2012

Look at this smug broken asshole.
Hey 100%jf, I think you missed adding one of my :eng101: moments to the Dark Hunter break-down. It was on Hypnos, I believe.

But yeah, that sidequest seems to be abnormally long. I played through EO2, and even then the grinding didn't seem to be as annoying as that mission must have been. I'm pretty sure I quit playing EO1 around this point.

stupid wyvern

McGwee
May 1, 2012

drat that sounds tedious as hell, I don't blame you for the delay, take all the time you need :stare:

Rose Spirit
Nov 4, 2010

:33 < APEX PURREDATOR
I did that sidequest too.

...I think I forgot that healing spot existed. :suicide: I remember running out of TP and then just attacking things forever. Not one of this game's finest (few) hours.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Phew. 5 days, huh? Wow, that was huge. There isn't, like, a skill to send an animal buddy back to base?

Raitzeno
Nov 24, 2007

What? It seemed like
a good idea at the time.

Glazius posted:

Phew. 5 days, huh? Wow, that was huge. There isn't, like, a skill to send an animal buddy back to base?

What do you think this is, Torchlight?

100percentjesusfree
Mar 18, 2009

FOE! FOE!
100% FOE!

GeneralYeti posted:

Hey 100%jf, I think you missed adding one of my :eng101: moments to the Dark Hunter break-down. It was on Hypnos, I believe.

But yeah, that sidequest seems to be abnormally long. I played through EO2, and even then the grinding didn't seem to be as annoying as that mission must have been. I'm pretty sure I quit playing EO1 around this point.

stupid wyvern

Whoops, you're right! Fixed that, sorry.

And indeed, there's no way to save, revive characters if you have no Nectar/Revive skill, or sell off any of the stuff you get during the 5 days. I tend to wind up with a full pack after about the first, maaaybe the second day, and spend the rest of the time debating whether I should toss out starseeds or scent wood. :v:

e. Also, Rose Spirit, that's... I don't even want to think about what that's like. Ending every battle in an instant with Allslash was the main thing keeping things bearable.

100percentjesusfree fucked around with this message at 14:13 on Oct 3, 2012

100percentjesusfree
Mar 18, 2009

FOE! FOE!
100% FOE!
Sorry to double-post, but seeing as Rose Spirit requested it, it's time for:

Class Discussion - Landsknecht

Landsknechts, or 'Swordman' (their missing S, not mine) have a bit of an odd name in both English and Japanese - I have no idea why they decided to use 16th century German mercenaries as the class name in English, or why they decided to call the only class that can uses axes 'swordman' in Japanese. Oh well. Still better than 'bird'.

Anyway, landsknechts. Every party I've made has had one of these guys in, they're basically exactly what you'd want from a frontline fighter - good damage output, good selection of equipment, decent health and all that. It was said much earlier in the thread that they can tank almost as well as Protectors, which is fairly true, though they don't have the skills to make everyone ELSE able to tank hits, too, the way a protector does. While they can wear heavy armour, they're definitely more focused on offensive abilities.

In on way, they're a little like Dark Hunters - you pretty much have to choose which weapon type you want them to go with, Swords or Axes, then stick with it, as most of their skills are weapon-dependant. Swords are generally my preference, as they're more versatile, and good at multi-target damage, whereas axe skills are much more focused on beating the snot out of one guy at a time.

Still, that's not to say that axenechts are entirely useless - I find their skills are much less impressive, but their equipment tends to have attack power that's a cut above what you'll get from the swords in the same area. Plus, if I recall correctly, it's quite possible to get one of the best axes in the game surprisingly early on, which I'll be demonstrating if I can. (Whether you'll be able to afford the drat thing is another matter, of course.)

Anyway, their equipment is generally the heaviest types of armour - like Protectors, they actually can't wear some particularly light armour, but they can wear any particularly heavy armour/shields. They can also use swords and axes, obviously, and are the only lass in the whole game that can wield the latter weapon.

All in all, Landsknehcts are a solid choice, great for early in the game, when they're tanky and don't need TP, and later in the game, when they can spam Allslash and cut through fights easily. I'd really advise taking one!

On to their skills!

HP-Up

TP-Up

Atk-Up

Def-Up

Landsknechts get a lot of these, for some reason... in any case, they do exactly what you'd expect, raising their relevant stats. HP-Up and Atk-Up start at 10%, and go all the way up to 30%, TP-Up starts at 10 and goes up to 50%, and Def-up... starts at 5% and goes up to 15.

Def up is pretty bad. Anyway! Atk up is a prerequisite in certain self-buffing skills, and even if you don't want to use them, one skill point for a 10% boost in attack doesn't hurt. TP-Up is also used for certain sword skills, so you'll probably want a few levels in it, and beyond that, I'm somewhat ambivalent on the rest of the passive skills.

A little more health certainly wouldn't hurt, and if you get all the active skills you want, and still have points left, maxing out Atk-Up isn't a bad idea at all.

Swords

Axes

These are prerequisites for a bunch of skills related to the weapon that they use, and, naturally, raise your attack power when equipped with the weapon in their name.

The gain starts at 10%, and goes up by 1% per level, jumping to 19% at level 5, and 30% at level 30. You're probably going ot be putting points into these anyway, as they're prerequisites, and if you're not getting them up to a multiple of 5, those points are a bit of a waste, seeing as levels 2-4 and 6-9 are all pretty tiny boosts.

2-Hit

Argh. I want to like this skill much more than I do! It suffers from annoying prerequisites (5 points in Swords, 5 in Axes), and grants the Landsknecht an interesting passive - every now and then, when performing a regular attack, they'll instead attack twice in a row.

The problem is that the chances of it going off are fairly bad. It starts at 10%, raising by 1% per level, up to 16% at level 5, and 23% at level 10 - even maxed out, it won't go off even a quarter of the time you attack. However, I still think it's worth at least a point in - it's not super useful against bosses most of the times, but it's always a nice surprise to cut down a random encounter much easier than you thought you were going to.

Maxing it out, if you have points to spare, isn't a terrible idea, it would just depend on how it fits into the build you're going for.

War Cry

The landsknecht reduces his own defense to up his offense - an interesting skill that, while it starts off as a pretty bad trade, it becomes a fairly good one later.

It costs 2TP up 'til level 5, where it starts to cost 3, and from skill levels 1-5, it lowers defense by 20%. That defense cost starts lowering by 2% per level from level 6 onwards, resulting in a final defense cost of only 10%.

Meanwhile, the attack boost it gives starts at 10% (which is why I say the trade starts off fairly bad, 10% attack for 20% of your defense) but raises at 3% per level from levels 1-4, jumping to 25% at level 5. It slows down a bit from 5-9, raising at only 2% per level instead, jumping all the way up to 40% at level 10.

All in all, if you're taking this skill at all, it's one that it's probably better to max out - the final level is much better than any of the early ones. It requires 3 ranks in Attack Up if you're going to take it, though.

Hell Cry

A slightly more extreme version of War Cry, Hell Cry gives the landsknecht even more attack power, which I believe does stack with War Cry, at the expense of a harsher cost. Also a much nastier prerequisite, needing Atk Up at level 10.

The TP cost remains the same, but rather than just costing defense, it costs both defense and HP. Defense/HP costs follow the same pattern of the defense cost in Hell Cry, whereas the attack boost starts out at 20%... then follows the same rate of growth that attack did, too, just with all the values 10% higher. (so 35% at level 5, 50% at level 10)

I'm in two minds about this skill - it does become quite impressive, but War Cry is almost as good, with much less of a skill point investement. Of course, you could also take both and spend two turns buffing your landsknecht into a ridiculous glass cannon, but I prefer to take one, if I'm taking any, and just have him keep swinging.

Arm Heal

Does your landsknecht have bound arms? Use this skill, and he won't anymore! It requires a point in Def Up, and is pretty useful - sealed arms cut off some of a landsknechts abilities, and reduces the damage he can cause. It's particularly vital if you're using an axenecht, because all of their skills are tied to their arms, whereas a lot of the better sword skills are tied to the legs, instead.

It requires 1 rank in def up, and costs 2TP at level 1. Don't put more than 1 point into it, though - all that more points do is make it cost less TP at levels 5 (where it costs 1) and 10 (where it becomes free) - this is an enormous waste of points that could be spent on better things.

Flee

Basically identical to the Protector skill of the same name. I still don't like it. :v: Kind of amusing that the frontline fighters, who you'd expect to be brave, are the best at running away.

Cleave

The first Sword skill, and it's... kind of boring. It does a bit more damage to enemies, in exchange for some TP. It requires a point in Swords, so it can be gotten early, and I do tend to put one point in it if I'm running a sword-using landsknecht, just to give him something to do with his TP early on.

It costs 4TP to start with, increasing by 1 every odd-numbered level up to level 5, and deals 140% of a landsknecht's normal damage at level 1, raising by 5% per level, jumping to 165% at level 5... then slowing down a bit, growing instead by 2% at level 6, then 3% every level from 7-9, finally winding up at 190% at level 10.

I don't really advise maxing it out, honestly. The damage boost is nice, but Allslash, one of my favourite sword moves, does the same damage across multiple enemies for only 2TP more at level 10.

Tornado

Ergh. Another sword skill, and I'm not overly fond of it, honestly. You need 5 ranks in Swords to use it, and it has the same damage growths as Cleave. When used, it hits the enemies either side of the one you're attacking, too, however, dealing considerably less damage to them.

It deals a landsknecht's normal attack damage to adjacent enemies at level 1, then grows by 2% per level, jumping up to 118% at level 5, and 140% at level 10. The problem is that the enemy you want to do the most damage to won't always be in the middle of two enemies, so it'll feel like a waste. Also, it costs 6tp at level 1, grows by 1 every odd numbered level up to level five, winding up at 8 TP... making it cost the same as Allslash, with no real advantage over it, other than less prerequisites.

Allslash

And now after those two, on to my favourite sword skill! One of them, anyway. Allslash also has the same damage growth as Cleave, but works a little differently. Rather than selecting a specific target, you just use it, and the landsknecht will try to attack up to the amount of enemies there are on screen. At level 1, it can hit 2-3 enemies, which changes at level 5, making him able to hit 3-4 instead.

The TP cost is the same as Tornado, and while it does suffer from less control in choosing your targets, I still rather like this skill. One thing I don't like, however, are its annoying prerequisites - 5 ranks in Swords and 3 in 2-Hit... which means you also need 5 ranks in Axes. Ah well, consider it an investment and it's not so bad.

Blazer

Freezer

Shocker

The final three sword attacks, and they're all quite interesting, in my opinion! They use a style of attack that, while unique to them in this game, becomes a major thing later in the series. Essentially, they're 'chaser' attacks to go by EO3 terms - when you use one, the Landsknecht will prepare to chase any attacks of the right element that turn. So, for example, you use Blazer, and hit one enemy with a fire attack, he'll immediately follow that up, hitting the enemy again with a fire attack of his own.

Similarly, if you hit all enemies with a thunder spell after using Shocker, the landsknecht will hit them all again. These three are one of the reasons I like swords over axes - they give a landsknecht a method of causing elemental damage, provided you have someone to cast that damage in the first place, making him much more useful against those physical-resistant foes.

Other than their interesting behaviour, they're otherwise mostly identical to Allslash - same TP costs, same damage growths. They do requires 7 ranks in swords, and 3 in TP up, though.

Crush

The first Axe skill, and, in my opinion, the only one that's much good. :v: Requires a rank in Axes, and is similar to Cleave in that all it does is make you hit harder.

It does, however, hit a bit harder than any sword technique - the damage boost starts at 160%, then goes through the same odd pattern of growth that Cleave does, eventually winding up at 210% damage. The TP costs are also pretty much the same.

This, combined with the fact that axes have naturally high attack power, can make an axenecht hit pretty absurdly hard on one target.

Stunner

Another Axe skill, and one that causes your Landsknecht to briefly forget he's not a Dark Hunter. It actually deals less damage than the above skill - exactly the same as Cleave, in fact - but comes with a chance of causing the Stun status effect.

A whopping 15% chance, that never raises as you put more points into the skill. Whoo. :geno: It's a cheap skill, I guess? The TP cost starts at 3, grows by 1 every other level up to level 5, and it only requires 3 points in Axes.

Silencer

The final axe skill (I wasn't kidding when I said that axenechts weren't great at versatility) and... it's also not that great. It requires 7 points in axes, and the damage is lower than any of his other active attack skills, starting at 130%, then raising by 1% per level, jumping to 140% at level 10.

It does, however, come with a chance of causing Head Bind - 20% at level 1, that grows by 1% per level, jumping to 29% at level 5, then 40% at level 10. Still not really high enough to ever work on anything you'd really need to use it on. The TP costs are the same as Stunner... about the only thing I like about it is that you're silencing spellcasters by hitting them in the face with an axe, which is pretty :black101:

Mine

If your party requires more minerals, the Landsknecht can get them for you. Again, don't waste points on these on your main party members. :v:

GeneralYeti
Jul 22, 2012

Nope. Nothing. I would mention the name being German, but 100%jf beat me to it.

Unless you count Allslash as literally "Slashing All" but that's stupid :pseudo:

Rose Spirit
Nov 4, 2010

Thanks for the write-up! :D

Whoa, I never knew that about Blazer/Freezer/Shocker. Glad I decided to make a new party with a swordknecht.

About your bag getting full: dunno if you noticed this but enemy drops auto-sort so that the cheapest items are on the bottom, so always replace items from bottom to top and you'll get the most money for each outing.

Rose Spirit fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Oct 3, 2012

100percentjesusfree
Mar 18, 2009

FOE! FOE!
100% FOE!

Rose Spirit posted:

Thanks for the write-up! :D

Whoa, I never knew that about Blazer/Freezer/Shocker. Glad I decided to make a new party with a swordknecht.

About your bag getting full: dunno if you noticed this but enemy drops auto-sort so that the cheapest items are on the bottom, so always replace items from bottom to top and you'll get the most money for each outing.

No problem! I'm always open to taking suggestions. :) And uh, no, I hadn't noticed that - I actually thought it was the other way around, for some reason. Welp. :v:

Also, apologies for stealing your thunder, GeneralYeti. I do appreciate all the input/interesting tidbits you've had to add for other classes!

Rose Spirit
Nov 4, 2010

I'm pretty sure that's the way it is, anyway; might want to check next time you're at Shilleka's but I found it pretty useful (unless you particularly want more of a cheap drop for item synthesis).

Cosmic Afro
May 23, 2011
Awe man, this game, I love this game. I've sunk a hundred and more hours into this thing, as well as the sequel.

Didn't get to play 3rd just yet, thought.

Simplistic story, but it still got straight to my heart. You're not playing this for the story, mind you. Which makes this kind of LP all the more entertaining to read!

Do you still take name suggestions for future party members?

Cosmic Afro fucked around with this message at 07:47 on Oct 5, 2012

100percentjesusfree
Mar 18, 2009

FOE! FOE!
100% FOE!

Cosmic Afro posted:

Awe man, this game, I love this game. I've sunk a hundred and more hours into this thing, as well as the sequel.

Didn't get to play 3rd just yet, thought.

Simplistic story, but it still got straight to my heart. You're not playing this for the story, mind you. Which makes this kind of LP all the more entertaining to read!

Do you still take name suggestions for future party members?

I'm not doing right this second, but I shall be again at some points in the story - mostly when I get around to deleting some farmbots I'm not using, and we unlock the two classes we don't have yet.

Glad to hear you're enjoying, though! I am still going to be showing off all the story stuff I can, of course.

100percentjesusfree fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Oct 5, 2012

Rose Spirit
Nov 4, 2010

I just rested my game-beating party, and reallocated their skills keeping your suggestions in mind. I think the toughest thing will be not jumping right back into the postgame, since I've just lost 10 levels! :P

Sacrificial Toast
Nov 5, 2009

I might as well mention this here. Etrian Odyssey 4 has just been confirmed for release in the US in early 2013. It's the first in the series to be on the 3DS and features 3D models for enemies for the first time as well as an airship to fly around.

https://www.atlus.com/etrian4/

Marogareh
Feb 23, 2011
Been waiting for that announcement since they were pretty mum for a while. This pretty much cemented my 3DS purchase when the game comes out.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Sacrificial Toast posted:

I might as well mention this here. Etrian Odyssey 4 has just been confirmed for release in the US in early 2013. It's the first in the series to be on the 3DS and features 3D models for enemies for the first time as well as an airship to fly around.

https://www.atlus.com/etrian4/

aww no. 3D models?
maan. They should have kept them as sprites, maybe even animate them. they can put more detail into them that way.

Complexcalibur
Mar 11, 2007

NUOOOOAAAGH

Rigged Death Trap posted:

aww no. 3D models?
maan. They should have kept them as sprites, maybe even animate them. they can put more detail into them that way.

Don't worry, the monsters haven't lost any detail in the transition.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=key_TnHb7WQ&feature=plcp

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Complexcalibur posted:

Don't worry, the monsters haven't lost any detail in the transition.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=key_TnHb7WQ&feature=plcp

Oh, wow, that's really impressive.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

I keep forgetting that the 3DS is on par with the gamecube. perhaps a bit more.

100percentjesusfree
Mar 18, 2009

FOE! FOE!
100% FOE!
At first, I wasn't sure how to feel about them using models rather than just sprites, but yeah, they look great!

And good luck, Rose Spirit! I just hope that the suggestions and advice I've been giving don't all turn out to be terrible. :v: I stand by my excuse that it's been a little while since I played! (not counting for the LP, obviously.)

Speaking of which, sorry again if updates take a little while, university tends to leave me rather busy and/or exhausted during the week.

100percentjesusfree fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Oct 8, 2012

GeneralYeti
Jul 22, 2012

Take as much time as you need.

I understand how much of a pain university can be. Work + tests + actual classes = not enough hours in the week.

now excuse me I should get back to work on Digimon World 4 again

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

Oh man I just caught with this thread and it make me start play Etrain Odyssey III again. I decided to restart the game using mostly different classes and getting the droid class instead of shogun. I forgot how terrible I am at the game :negative:

100percentjesusfree
Mar 18, 2009

FOE! FOE!
100% FOE!
It's... the last of these for a while, so I won't be able to get out of feeling bad about the slow update schedule, dang. :v:

Unless I do bestiary updates now and then, but I don't know if people really want to see those...? Regardless, it's time for

Class Discussion - Survivalists

I'm not going to lie - I've not got as much experience with Survivalists as I do with a number of the other classes. There's nothing really wrong with them, I just didn't use them much, and a lot of the time when playing a game like this, if I don't make a character near the start, I don't tend to want to go back and level them up from scratch to make them useful and see how they do. I've been reading over what they can do, however, and it certainly seems like they've got some useful tricks up their sleeve.

Their equipment options aren't TOO bad - they can't wear the heaviest armour, but they can at least wear stuff that's a bit better than what alchemists and medics are restricted to. I believe they have a fairly similar armour list to Dark Hunters, really. Weapon-wise, they're pretty much only going ot be using bows - they can't equip all that much else, and their combat skills are all bow-focused. They don't really have enough HP/Defense to last long on the front line, either, so a weapon that lets them stay in the back and still be useful is definitely a good thing.

While they do have some damaging combat skills, they also get a lot of out-of-combat abilities, buffs/debuffs, and generally handy passive abilities - they're certainly good to have around, and from what I've read, you can cause good damage with them, to. This'll be a learning experience for me, too, though!

Edit: A couple of updates into using them, and I'm finding that a class I'd initially wrote off is actually pretty excellent. Survivalists are indeed pretty drat good, for more than just item farming - their physical damage is surprisingly high if you can get them a good bow, so yeah, I definitely recommend playing around with one of these guys!

Anyway, let's take a look at their skills.

HP-Up

TP-Up

Agi-Up

HP-Up and TP-Up are of the 'grow to 150%' varieties, while Agi-Up caps at 130%. None of them are particularly bad choices, really, though if your survivalist is getting hit a lot, you might want to take him off the frontline. :v: Agi-Up is also a prerequisite for quite a few skills, so some points in it never hurt! As far as I know, agility has nothing to do with bow damage or anything, though.

If anyone wants to correct me, feel free!

Bows

Precisely what you'd expect, really, it increases their damage with Bow weapons, and acts as a prerequisite for a lot of attacks. It gives fairly significant boosts, too - 10% at level 1, growing by 2% per level, jumping to 28% at level 5, and all the way up to 50% at level 10! It can make them hit pretty drat hard.

Ambush

Requires Agi Up at level 3, and increases your chance of getting a pre-emptive strike when entering battles. I'm not sure if I've explained how these work yet - basically, a pre-emptive strike gives you a completely free turn to wail away at the enemy, before you then get your normal turn. If you're significantly faster than whatever you're fighting, this can mean two turns worth of attacks before the enemy gets one in, which is pretty useful!

The increase isn't fantastic, but it's noticeable enough - 16% at level 1, raising by 1% per level, jumping to 22% at level 5, and 30% at level 10. Considering it's free and passive, it certainly doesn't hurt to have points in it.

Aware

Requires two levels in Ambush, and is basically the opposite effect - it makes it less likely for enemies to pre-emptively attack you, which can really help stop you from getting your poo poo ruined. The percentages are the same as Ambush, and again, for a skill that costs no TP, there are worse things you could spend points on.

1st Hit

Requires Agi Up at level 5, and 1st Turn (an ability we've not seen yet, yet this one's higher in the list) at level 3. It's... kind of eh, in my opinion. It's another passive, that gives the survivalist a chance (exactly the same percentages as the above skills) of going first next turn, regardless of speed. Survivalists are often pretty fast anyway, so this feels a little redundant... I can see it helping sometimes against particularly fast enemies, but it doesn't seem that great to me. Maybe I'm wrong, though?

Trickery

Requires a rank in Agi Up, and is... interesting, I suppose. It's the first active skill on the list, and it debuffs all enemies' accuracy. I can definitely see how this would be useful, especially seeing as it's a debuff rather than a status effect, so bosses and such won't resist it!

It starts off at a 15% reduction, goes up by 2% per level, jumping to 25% at level 5, then increases by only 1% per level up to level 10. The TP cost starts at 2, and increases to 3 at level 5.

Quicken

Also requires 1 rank in Agi Up, and costs 2TP at level 1, 3 at level 5+. It increases the party's speed in combat, which does pretty much exactly as you'd expect, making them more likely to get attacks in before the enemy. A lot of the time, it's not going to be super-useful... if something's a lot faster than your party, it probably won't provide quite enough of a boost to make up the difference.

It could be handy if, say, you needed your medic to go a bit faster in order to get a heal off sooner, I suppose, but at the same time, it takes up a buff slot that could be occupied by other things. The increase starts at 10%, growing by 5% per level up to level 5, where it abruptly slows down to growing at 1% per level, jumping to 40% at level 10.

Cloak

Requires 3 ranks in Trickery, and isn't that fantastic in my opinion - it basically reduces the chance your survivalist will be targeted by attacks for five turns. Most truly scary enemies hit all people, so this won't do that much good there. :v: Handy if your survivalist is on the verge of death, but it's still not that great a skill in my opinion.

Has the same TP costs as the other skills mentioned so far. Even if I don't like the effect, though, it does do a pretty good job - it reduces the chance of being targeted by 50% at level 1 alone, and grows by 5% per level up to level 5, where it jumps to 75%, then grows at 1% per level up to level 10. A lot of survivalist skills seem to follow a similar pattern... kinda reminds me of protectors, a little.

Escape

Requires Quicken at level 3, and... ugh, another fleeing ability? This one's even worse than most of the others, in my opinion - rather than making a solid attempt at fleeing, it basically increases the chance of the standard 'run away' command working. :v:

At later levels, it buffs defense a bit, too. It costs 4 TP up to level 5, where it starts costing 5, and at level 1, it provides a 20% boost to flee chance. This grows by 1% per level, jumping up to 29% at level 5, where it also starts to give a 10% defense buff.

Both defense and flee rate buffs grow at 1% per level from there, jumping to 40% (flee rate) and 19% (defense) at level 10. I still don't like skills focused on running away, so this one's not for me!

1st Turn

Requires 3 ranks in Quicken and Trickery, and is... interesting. It basically forces the targeted party member to go first next turn, or has a chance to, at least. If you know you're going to need to recover from a big hit and want your medic going first, I can see this coming in handy, but it definitely seems kinda situational.

The growth for the success chance is kind of odd. It starts at 70%, then goes like this:
75%
78%
85%
100%

Any levels beyond 5 just serve to reduce the TP cost - it starts off costing 10 at level 1, and decreases by 1 per level. If you're taking this skill, I'd only put 5 points in.

According to ShadeOfBlue, 1st Turn is actually bugged in this game - rather than having a success rate that grows over time, it starts off 100% accurate, even though it's not supposed to. As such, the only advantage to putting more points into it is making it cost less TP - I'd advise only sticking a point in it, though, seeing as it is pretty situational.

Trueshot

Requires 1 rank in Bows, and is... fairly meh, really. It's the first special attack a survivalist can get, but the damage is reasonable - it starts off at 140% of regular damage, then grows by 5% per level, jumping to 165% at level 5.

After that, it grows by 2% at level 6, then 3% from then on, finally jumping again to 190% at level 10. I have no idea why they gave it such a weird growth pattern, frankly. :v:

Costs 4TP to begin with, 5 at level 3, and 6 at level 5+

Multihit

Requires 5 ranks in bows, and is one of the few survivalist skills I've seen so far that seems to really justify maxing it out. It costs 8TP to begin with, growing by 1 every other level up to level 5, and to begin with, it just shoots two arrows each with normal damage.

That's still pretty much doubling your damage output right at the first level, already rendering Trueshot a bit redundant. :v: After that, it starts boosting the damage, growing by 3% per level, jumping up to 115% of your normal damage at level 5. From there, growth slows down to 1% per level, but jumps again to 125% at level 10. At level 10, it also shoots 3 arrows instead of two!

Notably, you don't get to select a target with this - you just use it, and targets are picked at random, so it's best when you're only fighting one opponent.

Disable

Requires 3 ranks in bows, and it's everyone's favourite type of skill - damage with a negligible chance of maybe binding the enemy's legs now and then!

Alright, perhaps that was kinda harsh. The skill starts off costing 3TP, raising by 1 every other level up to level 5, and is honestly not my cup of tea. For one thing, the damage is fairly piss-poor, starting at 130%, and growing by 1% per level, jumping up to 140% at level 10. The chances of it successfully causing binding start at 20%, and grow by 1% per level, jumping to 29% at level 5, and 40% at level 10. Honestly, I don't think it's worth the time.

Apollon

Now, bear in mind that I've not used survivalists, so I'm not 100% sure, but from what I've read, it seems that this makes the survivalist take the turn it's used, and the turn after that to do nothing, before finally using a very powerful attack.

Doesn't sound too bad... but it starts off fairly abysmal. It costs 8TP to start with, and grows by 1 every level up to 5. It also requires you to have maxed out your bow skill at rank 10... and at level 1, it only does 200% damage after those turns of waiting.

That damage grows by 10% per level, jumping to 290% at level 5, and 400% at level 10 - if you're going to take it, go all the way up to 10, otherwise it seems kind of pointless. You'd get roughly 300% of your normal attack damage just by attacking normally for those three turns anyway, so it's only at 10 it provides any noticeable benefit.

Unless I'm missing something, here? Again, having not really used this class, this skill might be the bees knees and I'm being an idiot.

Turns out I WAS missing something! Apparently, even while you're waiting for Apollon to go off, you can still perform more attacks, so it's not like your survivalist just sits around waiting. Thanks, Goldjas and Death Dealer!

GeneralYeti posted:

:eng101: : Apollon is based on Apollo, the Greek god of the Sun. While his twin sister Artemis is more associated with the hunt and archery, Apollo has some arrow magic to his name. Most famously, he guided the poisoned arrow into Achilles's weak spot in the heel.

He also is the source of the Delphi Oracle's knowledge so yeah he's kinda important.

Owl-Eye

Requires 3 ranks in Ambush, and allows you to track FOEs from a distance. It costs 2TP to start with, growing by 1 every other level up to 5.

Levels 1-2, it can track up to 2 squares away. 3-4, up to 3 squares away, and 5+, it can track up to 4. The amount of steps increases over time, too, starting at 16, then growing by 2 per level, jumping to 30 at level 5, and 50 at level 10.

I'm not super fond of this kind of skill, but it does have its uses... and if I'm remembering correctly, one of those uses might just be coming up. :v:

Stalker

Requires 3 ranks in Ambush, and is identical to the skill that several other classes have with the same name - it basically reduces the encounter rate a bit, bleh.

Chop

Mine

Take

Gather from any resource point you like, survivalists make for great gatherers! Again, if you're planning on using a survivalist in your main party, don't spend points on these.

If you're making a team to hunt down all those delicious resources to help you make money? Go for it!

100percentjesusfree fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Apr 8, 2013

goldjas
Feb 22, 2009

I HATE ALL FORMS OF FUN AND ENTERTAINMENT. I HATE BEAUTY. I AM GOLDJAS.
Apollon is pretty darn good because it takes your turn, but you can also attack or what not during the turn the arrows are in the air if i remember correctly.

GeneralYeti
Jul 22, 2012

:eng101: : Apollon is based on Apollo, the Greek god of the Sun. While his twin sister Artemis is more associated with the hunt and archery, Apollo has some arrow magic to his name. Most famously, he guided the poisoned arrow into Achilles's weak spot in the heel.

He also is the source of the Delphi Oracle's knowledge so yeah he's kinda important.

Death Dealer
Jul 25, 2006

goldjas posted:

Apollon is pretty darn good because it takes your turn, but you can also attack or what not during the turn the arrows are in the air if i remember correctly.

You certainly remember correctly. So you can pop Apollon, get some other damage in while the arrows are up in the air, and then a pretty healthy chunk of damage when the arrows come down.

Plus I basically picture it like firing a volley of arrows into the air that come down in a sheet and that's a neat mental image even if it isn't ACTUALLY meant to be like that.

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

goldjas posted:

Not gonna lie, in a long fight like a boss battle that sounds fantastic. Fire and forget!

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."
How does defense work in this game? If defense is a straight subtraction (i.e. damage dealt = damage - defense), then single hit attacks with a very high multiplier are often a lot stronger than multi-hit attacks, especially against enemies with high defense. I could see that being a consideration for some of those moves.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

I was never able to squeeze any significant damage out of Survivalists in EOII, even at level 70+. Maybe they nerfed the bow skills? They'd be the only physical class that got weaker in that case. I got away with ignoring the magic-attacker classes until the 3rd Strata, and did just fine.

Personally, I think that the weird progression of skills like Apollon implies how the developers meant you to use the 'Rest' system. It's not exclusively, or even primarily for 'fixing' a character. It's there so you can make the best use of skills that are heavily front- or back-loaded over the course of the game.

You can probably beat the main game without ever using it, but once you've reached a high enough level, the ability to max out a bunch of skills at once--even accounting for the level loss--can make otherwise difficult parts a breeze.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

The problem with that theory is that they don't tell you what skills are front-loaded or back-loaded.

ShadeofBlue
Mar 17, 2011

1st turn is actually bugged such that it is always 100% successful, so just put 1 point in it :). Survivalists in EO are absolute monsters; they hit almost as hard as Axeknechts, and first turn is a huge help in making sure you have Immunize up in time against bosses, especially in the post game where an unimmunized hit can really ruin your day.

In EO2 defensive buffs aren't really that useful, since Immunize no longer exists, which means that first turn isn't really worth it anymore (it's not as big of a deal if your attack buff goes up after the enemy acts, obviously). Survivalists also do a lot less damage, and are basically obsoleted by gunners which are back row attackers that also have elemental attacks, which means they can cover both the survivalist and alchemist roles at once. A lot of the "standard" classes are nerfed or obsoleted in EO2, I guess it makes it more interesting to play after the first one.

goldjas
Feb 22, 2009

I HATE ALL FORMS OF FUN AND ENTERTAINMENT. I HATE BEAUTY. I AM GOLDJAS.
Yeah I remember my survivalist stomping face in EO 1, but then sucking so hard in 2 I just replaced it with something else.

100percentjesusfree
Mar 18, 2009

FOE! FOE!
100% FOE!
Ah, awesome! Thanks for setting me straight on that, guys. I've edited the post, and credited people who helped correct me. (Unless I missed anyone, if I did, sorry!) Also, in response to Dirk the Average's question, it seems like defense is pretty much a straight damage reduction - damage dealt = damage - defense indeed.

For those interested, according to the Gamefaqs forum, the damage formulas look like this:

Physical attacks use the formula [[STR + wATK] * Pwr% * Elem% * PAtkBoost%]

(Power% is, I believe, the power of the technique being used if there's one in use, Elem represents whether your attack is being resisted or is extra effective, and PAtkBoost% is for things like Bravery that boost attack power)

The formula for defense against physical attacks is...

[50% * (VIT+DEF) * DefBoost%]

which is simply taken away from the above formula.

For magic damage:

[[2*TEC + sATK] * Pwr% * Elem% * MAtkBoost%]

(sATK = spell attack, the base power of the spell being used)

Whereas the defense formula for magic-based attacks is

[25% * (VIT+DEF) * DefBoost%]

The last formula doesn't come up super often - it's when elemental damage is part of a Str-based attack, which presumably is for things like Blaze Oil and such.

[[TEC + wATK] * EDam% * Elem%]

There's also a bit of random variance in damage, but this at least gives some idea of how much damage you should be doing.

100percentjesusfree fucked around with this message at 12:02 on Oct 12, 2012

GeneralYeti
Jul 22, 2012

Could you imagine what would happen if OFS got ahold of this code?

The game might become fair.

100percentjesusfree
Mar 18, 2009

FOE! FOE!
100% FOE!
Update 18 - Because the Wyvern isn't pissed at us enough yet

Hi, everyone! Sorry about the huge wait between posts, been super busy lately... this rather sluggish update speed might be the norm for quite a while, I'm afraid, but I'm not abandoning this.

On the plus side, I think today's update is going to be pretty long, and also won't just be me endlessly complaining about a sidequest I hate.

"Hmph. The Radha are calling for us, so Hector's apparently decided to vanish into thin air... Alvis is busy experimenting, and even Keyser's buggered off to work on some more poetry. Exploring the Labyrinth isn't going to get done by itself! :mad:

"Eh, I'll lend a hand. Least the Radha pay pretty well - let's see who else we can round up to go with us."

"Alright! We managed to get a full squad together!"

"There's someone I don't recognise, though - the hell did you come from?"

"Hey, not my fault you guys have an open door policy! I heard you've been really raking in the ental lately, so I figured I should sign up and lend a hand. For a fee, of course."

"Of course. :rolleyes: We'd better get you kitted out, first, then."

"No need to worry about that! I took the liberty of picking up some stuff from Shilleka - when I told her I was with you guys, she was happy to put it on your tab!"

:ughh: "Great. It's probably a good thing Hector isn't here, or we'd have to pull him off you... let's just get this over with."

"Indeed. This pointless bickering is cutting into time we could be using to find the secrets deep within the Labyrinth!"

"And the undead that surely lurk further in!"

"Maybe this team was a bad idea."

As a bit of explanation for why I'm suddenly using everyone like this... I don't want levels to get too far apart, basically, and the team who went on that 5-day wander around a floor mission are miles overlevelled, now. They can just auto-attack those bear FOEs to death with little trouble.

So I'm splitting things up a little! Letting some of the less-used thus far characters get some screentime, but also keeping Dietrich and Jill in the party because we DO need some damage output, and well... going in without a medic is generally a really dumb idea.

"Well, not much to do now but go with it. Let's go see the Radha and get this over with."

Radha theme - Festival of Worship

"We're very impressed... Few adventurers in town have made it that far. I'm very pleased to see your growth as explorers, day by day. Which reminds me... We've just issued a mission that you may be able to undertake for us. I'd definitely like you all to accept it at your earliest convenience."

A new mission is available. Select "Accept missions" from the menu to see the details.

"More work, huh? Hector probably wouldn't have minded this... ah well, let's see what you want done."

"Well, that sounds suicidal. What's in it for us?"

"The Radha are... generous with funds to those willing to help."

"Consider my objection withdrawn."

"Sure, sounds like fun."

"Yes, because the last time we fought that thing went so well."

"Don't be such a wuss. It can't be THAT bad."

"It basically killed Dietrich with one hit."

"Killed? You mean he's-"

"Oh don't you start."

"Very good. Now then, let me give you the details. The 8th floor in the second Stratum is home to a legendary dragon. We don't know much of this Wyvern's ecology, but we're very eager to study it. So we'd like you to head to the Wyvern's nest and retrieve the Dragon Egg there.

By studying the egg, we may be able to learn a great deal about the Wyvern's habits. Take care, though. It will be extraordinarily difficult to beat the Wyvern as you are."

"No kidding."

"Find a way to dodge the Wyvern, and obtain its egg."

Okay, let me be entirely honest - this mission is actually one of the reasons I wanted a survivalist, aside from wanting to try them out as a lot of sources said they were really good. They have a skill that's normally the kind of thing I'd go for, but that comes in very, very handy here.

Stratum 2 theme - The Vast Primeval Hidden Grove

"Augh, this is useless, we'll never be able to avoid it... it's hard to see, or sense where it's looking, or anything..."

"Sounds like a job for me! With a little skill called Owl Eye, I can sense threats from way further away!"

"Hm. Sounds handy."

"Especially when I get somewhere I'm not supposed to be! Anyway, observe!"

Aaaand this is why I wanted a Survivalist, partly. See how we can now see the Wyvern from further away than we normally could (we can only normally see it if it's right next to either us, or a square we've actually stepped on, I believe).

This is particularly useful here, because this bit is basically a little stealth segment, as the Radha implied. Every 4 steps, the Wyvern turns clockwise by one stage (so it goes from facing north->east->south->west->north). It also sees in a cone - you can slip by right next to it if you're careful, without it noticing you, but if it turns to look in your direction, you're in trouble. You really don't want to be fighting this thing!

"Gotta admit, being able to track this thing is going to make this much easier... let's see if we can slip by."

When we step into the area where the Wyven can actually see/chase us, we're greeted with a little message...

"You finally reach the Wyvern's nest. Somewhere in the vast space before you, you can make out the Wyvern's shadow. You consider how best to find the egg here without disturbing the Wyvern..."

"I can't say I approve of this. Sneaking around like cowards to steal this beast's eggs..."

"Alright then..."

"How about we sneak by it in the most ballsy way we can?"

"I think you rather missed the point, but whatever."

"Shh! It'll hear you!"

"Alright! Time to check for the loot..."

"You begin your search for the egg in the Wyvern's nest...

However, your search was fruitless. This doesn't seem to be the place."

Just about every spot on the outer 'rim' of this room can be searched like this, with the exact same message. Can you guess where the egg actually is?

No prize if you did. Of course it'd be here!

"You begin your search for the egg in the Wyvern's nest..."

This isn't the time for that!

Oh. OH! Whew.

"Obtained dragon egg!"

"Alright! Let's get back to the Radha with what we came for!"

"Since when were you leading us?"

"Oh? Got another plan in mind?"

:mad:

"Let's just go."

Radha theme - Festival of Worship

"Yup, so pay up!"

"I thank you for your efforts, and trust you successfully escaped the dread Wyvern."

"Actually, no. We all died horribly and are here to haunt you."

"Yes, yes. Very funny. Perhaps in the future, once you've become stronger, you may be able to challenge it... But for now, discretion is the better part of valor. It's wise to solve the difficulties you face one step at a time. Be that as it may, for your service in retrieving the dragon's egg..."

"Oh yes, here it comes!"

"We present to you a small reward, to show our gratitude."

"...Small?"

"Obtained 1500 en."

"Hmph... not bad, I guess."

"Ah yes, before I forget, there's someone I'd like you all to meet. He is Lord Visil, Chieftain of the Radha and leader of Etria.

The Chieftain wishes to speak with promising adventurers like yourselves about the forest. Wait one moment please."

"It's kind of a shame Hector isn't here for this... feels odd to be greeting him without our founder."

"I am Visil, Chieftain of Radha Hall."

"Yes, so we heard."

:shh:!

"I protect Etria and promote exploration of the forest. I wanted to personally thank you for your successful forays into the Labyrinth. Now, as I'm sure you'll be exploring the place further... I have a point of advice to impart to you. The road leading further into the Labyrinth is hidden near the Wyvern. So said adventurers in ancient times, who went deeper into the Labyrinth than we now do.

Lately, only a few explorers dare go below the 8th floor... I have high hopes that you'll be the ones to reopen the way to the lower floors. Now then, if you'll excuse me... I look forward to speaking with you another day."

"Whew! Not every day you get to meet someone like that."

"Yeah, really. Seems like a decent enough guy."

"I'm glad you were finally able to meet our Chieftain. We're all very devoted to him, and we work with him to further develop this town. The Chieftain only has time to meet with the very bravest explorers, you know."

"Aw, shucks."

"He says, to the people who just had to sneak past something."

"Shaddup, you."

"It's a sign that you've become exemplary adventurers. Keep up the good work."

Whew, finally! As far as I know, you cannot actually get past the 8th floor until you get this little hint. Now that we have, though, we can take a trip back to the Wyvern's nest...

"Hey, secret path! Didn't notice this before... I guess we were all so focused on finding the dragon's egg, we didn't notice it."

"Maybe we should pay more attention in future, hm?"

"Ah, the way down! Let's go!"

"No, hold on. I still think we're missing something back in that Wyvern's room..."

"What. We already found the way down!"

"Eh. Can't hurt to look, right? Who knows, there might be more loot!"

"A sentiment any of us can get behind. Let's go see."

"A-Ha! I knew it!"

"It's just more stairs, though! Should we flip a coin to see which we go down first...?"

"No way. You'd lose it down here!"

"Seeing as we're already here, perhaps the logical thing to do would be to go down here first? Just a suggestion. If you'd rather traipse back and forth for hours, I'm sure that'd be equally thrilling."

"That sounds encouraging."

"Doesn't it just? Perhaps we'll finally run into something interesting down here!"

"You're... not so great with sarcasm, are you?"

"Fantastic. This floor's already off to a great start."

"Oh-ho! Dibs!"

"...We're not seriously walking across all that for treasure someone else already 'dibs'd, are we?"

"What do you think?"

"Of course we are."

"Though... now I almost wish we hadn't bothered. Who leaves a magnet in a treasure chest?!"

I think I mentioned what these do a while back, but just in case, magnets warp you back to the last Geomagnetic field. They're basically a warp wire that takes you back 1 step less than going to town, which can be handy, as returning to town resets your Boost gauge to 0.

Generally, I just carry warp wires and don't worry about Boost, though, so this isn't super useful. It saves me a hundred or so en I guess?

"What is it with this stratum and the flowers trying to kill us?!"

New enemy! Eviloids do not gently caress around - they have two skills, and they're both unpleasant. Silencer, which I'm fairly sure causes head bind, but I've not seen them use it, and Petals, which causes significant damage across the entire party.

Some members of this party may be overlevelled, but dicking around when fighting a couple of these guys is just asking to get murdered in the most fabulous fashion possible.

One Allslash, though...

Victory theme - Get the Treasure

Puts them nicely in their place.

"Ah! Lots of minerals in this forest... if we had those farmbots with us, we could probably dig some up."

Oooor you could just use the mining spots on the first floor. I really don't know why they put resource spots everywhere on the first floor of the stratum, then just littered a bunch more now-completely-redundant ones through the rest.

Another new enemy!

"Ow!" :argh:

It's an rear end in a top hat! It's incredibly fast, so it will probably get a hit in before anyone in your party gets a chance to move, and as you can see here, it hits fairly hard.

Yes, Alex is the lowest-level party member at present, but that's still a fairly nasty hit.

This is a fairly common set of enemies, and it's not one you really want to be fighting - the Firebird will corrode your defenses, and the glowbird will horribly murder everyone.

"Aha! Finally, something that might put up a good fight!"

"What about the plants and birds that keep nearly murdering us?"

"Eh, anything that goes down that easily isn't a real fight."

FOE theme - A Sudden Gust of Wind Before Your Eyes

:stare:

"Maybe this wasn't such a great idea..."

I decided not to be cheap in this fight - I didn't have Hector, to abuse Immunize + Defender, and I didn't even use Immunize!

By the end of turn 1, things are looking fairly good - we got a pre-emptive attack, and got to deal a nice chunk of damage.

"It's getting a run-up! I'd advise we get out of here, but somehow, I don't think you two are going to listen to me."

"drat right, we nearly have it down!"

"Perhaps this'll redeem us for the mess we made with that Wyvern..."

Charge is basically a physical attack booster, making the next physical attack the Armoth makes deal a lot more damage. This is worrying.

"Fine, if you won't listen to me about fleeing, at LEAST prepare to take a hit next round..."

It's mostly worrying, because they nearly always seem to follow a Charge with... well, this. Let's take a look at how well our party took it, and remember, everyone is defending.

Yyyyeah.

:gibs:

"Augh. Maybe Serasmus had a point. This isn't going too well..."

"I can't help but feel things are only going to get worse, too..."

"Yeah, screw this, I'm out."

And yes, that's ANOTHER moa right below us. Ooh boy.

"Let's... let's not hurry back in there."

Ordinarily, a couple of deaths would mean a trip back to town, but thankfully, Jill recently picked up Revive, so dead party members are easy enough to get back outside of combat.

The most annoying part of that room is that, as far as I can remember, there's actually nothing interesting in there beyond 3 FOEs. It's pretty much just a room for if you have a sudden urge to kill an elephant and two birds.

Oh also, the floating text on screen is what you get if you look at a panel where you applied a custom text note on the map screen - any square I've done that on, you can see a little red triangle on the upper-left of the square.

"Now to bring Serasmus and Alex back... and I swear, Richter, if you accuse me of being a necromancer, you can just stay down next time something gets the drop on you." :mad:

"Hmph. Fine. But I'm watching you..."

"I heard that!"

"Aaaand I'm back in the game! Let's go see what's behind door number two!"

:signings:

"Eh. That was... mediocre."

"Indeed. We probably ought to head back to the healing fountain for now, we've all taken a bit of a beating, and I'm not going to be able to do much more healing at this rate..."

So back we go!

Amazing what a little water can do for you. (Serasmus was revived and healed up right afterwards, naturally. :v:)

"Right! Let's see what else is down there!"

"Let me guess. No-one's learned their lesson, and we're going to run straight at another FOE, despite what happened last time?"

"Hey, you catch on fast!"

"Idiot."

"Now isn't the time for inter-party fighting! We've got a..."

"giant scorpion to kill! Let's get on it!"

:sigh: Well, there goes one party member, already.

:gibs:

Without Alvis, we simply can't output enough damage to kill these things in one turn - they're vulnerable to lightning, so while Serasmus' damage is still good, he doesn't annihilate these things the way Alvis does. Not to mention we're missing Hector, too...

Keyser was never super-impressive damage wise, though. :v: He's fantastic for some other things, though! Just the healing fountain renders TP recovery a little less useful on this stratum. Which is good, because sitting around defending for several turns at a time is not what you want to be doing down here.

Still, Alvis or no alvis, the outcome is fairly predictable. Also annoying! These things have a drop that's used in a quest, but there aren't that many of them around, and they never seem to drop the drat thing. :argh: As far as I know, it's not a conditional drop, it's just irritatingly rare.

But with that scorpion downed, we've explored basically the whole of this section of B9 :toot: ...Except that room with 3 FOEs in. If no one objects, I'll probably just return later with team overlevelled and crush them all beneath their immunized heels.

"Alright! Now let's go see what the other side has."

"Oh for- really? REALLY?"

"Bah, stop whining. I'm sure Jill will kiss it better. then reanimate your corpse.

"I can still hear that!"

"That's it?! All five of us get hurt so we can get something that can heal one of us? I'm SO glad we found this."

"I can heal you just fine without it, too..."

"Then we can sell it! Free money is free money, even if it stings a bit to get to~"

"Huh. Stairs leading back up again? These floors are weird."

"Yeah, these floors are a bit more interconnected than any of the others, so far."

"Oh here we go again."

"Oh for- why are we not finding anything good in these things?! Sure, cash is cash, but I want to find riches, not pennies!"

But wait! It's not quite enough that the treasure up here is fairly lackluster...

Taking it spawns a lovely little guard to come after you!

"Oh balls. Incoming!"

"Uh oh. We're cornered, this time, too."

Sorry, Sacrificial Toast. :v:

Let's see how much damage a charged-up Bullrush causes now, when we have Immunize up and are defending...

:smug:

Not a lot, apparently.

Oooh. I like Great Tusks, for a reason you'll see when we get back to town.

Also, like most games published by battles, it's not just FOEs and bosses you have to worry about, random battles can still do horrible, horrible things to you if you're not careful.

Like so. Augh. Sleep is horrible, and when both enemies target a character who has been put to sleep, it doesn't really go well!

"I kinda... think we could all do with heading back to town for a bit. Our bag's getting full, and the local flora are getting the best of us again."

"Agreed. Let's go."

Town Theme - The Roadside Trees Outside the Window

This is how the town looks at night... I don't think I showed it off before, so here!

I think I'm going to end this update here - I do have a few more screenshots, but this seems like a nice place to end. Besides, this update's already wound up quite long!

Also, as for why I like those great tusks?

That emote amuses me far more than it should.

Before I do the status shots, new shop stuff and all that, I wanted to ask the thread a couple of questions!

First off, I think I asked this a bit back, but... update length. Do you guys prefer I keep updates fairly long, like this, or shoot for shorter, but hopefully more regular ones? And anything people would like to see more/less of?

I'd also like to know if there's much interest in doing separate little Bestiary updates, so there's something to take a look at between actual updates, and to help keep the thread alive.

Last, but certainly not least... we're probably going to be fighting this stratum's boss relatively soon, and I'd like to know which characters people would like to see me take into the fight with it. Hell, I'd like to know what characters people want to see more of in general! Jill is going to be sticking with us pretty much permanently, because going in without a medic is a terrible idea, but while I have some preferences on which characters I'd like to use, I'd love to know what the thread would prefer to see! I was half-thinking, if there's interest in it, of doing a post with a series of stat shots of all the characters we have, and talking about what their skillsets are, at present - if people want to pick the teams themselves, I'm happy to do a post like that!

Also, everyone who claimed survivalists were great for damage was not kidding. Alex isn't caught up to Dietrich with levels, yet, but her damage is already really impressive.

Also also, I'm trying to be a bit more consistent with how I show the music links - how's it looking so far?

Anyway, with all that out of the way...

It was around the point I was taking these that I noticed that I'm an idiot, and forgot to buy Serasmus a better staff.

Much better. I also only just noticed now that the background of the status screen apparently changes depending on where you opened the menu! The 5 above it are taken just in town, whereas Serasmus' second status screen was shot from inside of the shop.

In all the time I've played the game, I never noticed that. Or maybe I mentioned it earlier and totally forgot? I'm honestly not sure anymore.

Bar/Shop theme - The Lounge Where We Speak Of Tomorrow

New Shop Stuff!

The wing coat is a largely unremarkable piece of equipment... we've already got stuff that gives better defense, and other stuff, than it does.

It does have one notable feature though - it can be equipped by absolutely anyone. If you're missing a good piece of armour for a certain class, this might come in handy!

It requires 10 feathers, found on glowbirds and firebirds.

The leaf coat is even less interesting - the same defense, and a more limited range of classes. It only requires a single Thick Leaf to make, which you get from Eviloids, but really isn't that impressive. Pass!

The plume boot is also interesting... it gives a fairly significant speed boost, which can be handy. I prefer more defense over more speed, so I've not bought any, but I can see why people might!

I... was a bit naughty with this one. This was actually unlocked ages ago, way back when we first got that clear key, and I went wandering. There are some Armoths up in the area where I was looking for something, and I accidentally ran into one, and kinda cheesed the fight. I wanted to show them off properly before talking about them, though, so... sorry, everyone!

Anyway that out of the way, this thing! It requires a single Great Tusk, from an Armoth, to make. It's also pretty good - equippable by anyone and effectively gives +4 defense. You can certainly do a lot worse! It's not cheap, though.

100percentjesusfree fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Oct 22, 2012

GeneralYeti
Jul 22, 2012

There's one random small screenshot, near the end. I believe it's the results screen from the scorpion fight.

100percentjesusfree
Mar 18, 2009

FOE! FOE!
100% FOE!

GeneralYeti posted:

There's one random small screenshot, near the end. I believe it's the results screen from the scorpion fight.

I have absolutely no idea how that happened. :v:

Fixed now though, thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

I like that the item made by the giant tusk is cheaper than what you get for selling the tusk.

• Locked thread