Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Binds seem pretty powerful. Are there many enemies that are immune to them?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reco
Feb 26, 2011

enemy one body to the proximity Zan attack discard the power slap hit.

Glazius posted:

Binds seem pretty powerful. Are there many enemies that are immune to them?

Nope! It's a pretty core feature in the series. Hard to land on bosses though.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

Etrian Odyssey is one of those game series where status effects are considered an important part of gameplay. Most bosses and FOEs have resistance to status effects, but outright immunities to anything but instant death are vanishingly rare, only a few examples in the entire series. You can play through any of the EO games without using binds or ailments, but you're making the game a lot harder by doing so.

It's balanced by the fact that every time you land a particular status effect on an enemy in a fight, that enemy's resistance to that status effect increases by 30 percentage points. In other words, a normal enemy generally has a 0% resistance to most statuses. If you bind its head once, when you try to re-bind it later in the same fight that enemy will have 30% resistance. If you land it again and then try to re-bind even later, it'll have 60% resistance. As such, it's impossible to land a single status effect on the same enemy more than 4 times in a fight unless the enemy has negative base resistance (some do, generally bosses or FOEs designed to teach the player to actually use status effects).

Bosses usually have some resistance to most statuses, so it generally takes a couple attempts for the first status to land, 3-4 to re-apply it, and a third application may be impossible and will take 5+ attempts if not.

100percentjesusfree
Mar 18, 2009

FOE! FOE!
100% FOE!

NAME REDACTED posted:

You've got a double image when going through the new quests that were added to the list - the Test of Strength 2 image is missing.

Whoops, I'm an idiot. Thanks for that.

Zurai posted:

The Luck Staff is for Hexers. Luck has a huge impact on ailment and bind success rate, more than Technique does.

Huh. The more you know, I guess - thanks! I'll edit that in.

SSNeoman posted:

Hexers and Dark Hunters have pretty good synergy. Since binds work on bosses, are you gonna try and level up ecstasy? Or is that still too situational to be good?

Binds don't really work WELL on bosses... most of them, anyway. Ecstasy, however, is a fun skill, and seeing as the nastier FOEs down here are fairly vulnerable to binds, I'm probably going to level it up a bit. It's not like Richter has too many other skills to really be pumping points into, Dark Hunters have a bit of a lackluster skill set. The EO Untold version sounds way better, seeing as here, it (and Climax, really) is only really useful on an opponent that's already kind of hosed. Honestly, a lot of what I'm doing with Richter is experimenting, I've not used Dark Hunters much before, they're sorta interesting to play with.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
Honestly the best reason to take a DH in Untold isn't even the binds, it's Viper. Viper does an insane amount of damage maxed/boosted.

Reco
Feb 26, 2011

theshim posted:

Honestly the best reason to take a DH in Untold isn't even the binds, it's Viper. Viper does an insane amount of damage maxed/boosted.

And the fact that it's not Untold's Landsknecht :smith:

100percentjesusfree
Mar 18, 2009

FOE! FOE!
100% FOE!

Hivac posted:

And the fact that it's not Untold's Landsknecht :smith:

What's wrong with Untold's Landsknecht? I've not had a chance to play it, so I'm sort of interested in hearing about what they've changed and such.

cdyoung
Mar 2, 2012

100percentjesusfree posted:

What's wrong with Untold's Landsknecht? I've not had a chance to play it, so I'm sort of interested in hearing about what they've changed and such.

It's built like EO4's linknecht. It has most of the original's moves, with different mastery levels. But mostly it's build is around it's elemental link skills.

Reco
Feb 26, 2011

100percentjesusfree posted:

All/Falcon Slash costs way too much for what it does, Raging Edge requires a ton of setup to be useful (attack buffs and precharge), and the overall damage didn't change along with the bump up in enemy HP.

I can't say much about the Chase skills, but overall I just really can't get into them that much. They feel way more like EO2's Landsknecht than EO1's.

Also, the chase skills aren't nearly as effective as EO4's, where you can effectively set up something similar to a Warrior Might party with little effort and risk. As far as I can tell, EOU's chase system only follows up on individual elemental attacks, which requires an Alchemist and/or a Troubadour, and possibly both at once to be decently effective.

Reco fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Mar 11, 2014

GeneralYeti
Jul 22, 2012

Look at this smug broken asshole.
I've never played EO1 before, so maybe it changed slightly, but in EO2 I seem to have trouble landing binds. Is that an actual difference in the game itself or am I just unlucky?

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Ailment and bind success rate is a fairly complicated formula. Basically, the higher the base success rate (from more points invested in the skill), the higher your level, the higher your TEC, and the higher your LUC, the better your odds of landing ailments and binds are. LUC matters more than TEC, twice as much IIRC, and the base success rate is also very important. You should always max out ailment/bind skills if you want to actually land the status effects.

Enemies also have varying resistances to each status effect. Most FOEs and bosses have at least some resistance to statuses, although very few are actually immune.

100percentjesusfree
Mar 18, 2009

FOE! FOE!
100% FOE!

GeneralYeti posted:

I've never played EO1 before, so maybe it changed slightly, but in EO2 I seem to have trouble landing binds. Is that an actual difference in the game itself or am I just unlucky?

Pretty much what Zurai said, yeah. The forest folk FOEs are weirdly vulnerable to them, too, so that helps. The big issue with binds is you basically have two choices: A really dedicated binding class, like a Hexer that you can pump a million points of TEC and LUC on, and which have good starting percentages anyway, or something like a dark hunter, who will probably have their stats focused elsewhere, and have so-so percentages.

One of them is fantastic when you need something bound (like Fran has saved our party's collective arse a few times, just by telling crazy plant women to shut up), but are a bit useless when you don't, whereas more versatile characters are okay in situations where binding isn't required, but will likely gently caress up when trying to bind anything really important.

Update might be delayed for a while, as university has way too much stuff that needs doing for me to do fun stuff for a while, sadly. Not that my update schedule is ever particularly quick, but at least this time I can say that I said so in advance! Hopefully the thread won't nearly fall into the archives because I take so long, this time. :v:

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

GeneralYeti posted:

I also seem to remember reading a long while ago that Binds have diminishing returns that scale rapidly, to the point that after two applications, a particular bind will have somewhere in the region of 10% to land.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
I'm still reading through the thread, so I'm not sure if you found out yet, but the music you were looking for when FOEs show up is called "Red and Black".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ct2fnCE-CcI

Reco
Feb 26, 2011

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

I'm still reading through the thread, so I'm not sure if you found out yet, but the music you were looking for when FOEs show up is called "Red and Black".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ct2fnCE-CcI

I'm fairly sure that's a event music that only plays before the first mantis encounter, most boss fights, :catstare:, and a very spoilery thing later on.

Another one for plot dump purposes is "Blue and White".

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Ah, my mistake. I'm still fairly early on in Millennium Girl and I remember that playing before the Mantis, Ragelope, and another FOE that doesn't seem to be in this game.

Reco
Feb 26, 2011

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Ah, my mistake. I'm still fairly early on in Millennium Girl and I remember that playing before the Mantis, Ragelope, and another FOE that doesn't seem to be in this game.

Yeah, the Ragelope cutscene is exclusive to Untold, and spoilery thing omits Red and Black entirely. And yeah, the boar-ram-statue things aren't in this game either.

Basically what I'm trying to say is that I'm spergy as gently caress about this series.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

From what I can tell, a number of FOE designs in this game are also used for normal enemies. Fenrir in Millennium Girl is a blue wolf while its appearance in this game is for a tiger monster named Sabertooth.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Sir Rabia Tirnova posted:

I also seem to remember reading a long while ago that Binds have diminishing returns that scale rapidly, to the point that after two applications, a particular bind will have somewhere in the region of 10% to land.

Correct. Every time a bind/ailment lands, the target gains +30% (additive) resistance to that specific bind/ailment, with >= 100% resistance being total immunity to that effect. If they start with 0% resistance, the first bind won't be too hard to land, the second will take a couple tries, the third will take several tries, the fourth will be nearly impossible, and a fifth will be actually impossible.

Most bosses and FOEs start with a decent chunk of resistance to most status effects, so hitting them with any single effect more than twice is usually either extremely difficult or not possible. EO4 has a mechanic to overcome this, but IIRC none of the other games do, and it's never really necessary. Gimmick bosses that need to be bound or whatever always have negative resistances to the status effect(s) you need to use to kill them, so that the stacking penalty doesn't get too harsh. Etrian Odyssey hates you, but not quite that much.

Reco
Feb 26, 2011

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

From what I can tell, a number of FOE designs in this game are also used for normal enemies. Fenrir in Millennium Girl is a blue wolf while its appearance in this game is for a tiger monster named Sabertooth.

As far as I can tell, Fenrir is the only new asset outside of Gladsheim in Untold.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

Not quite--there are a handful of new FOEs and random encounters scattered throughout the main labyrinth as well. (And I guess the enemies not present in EOIV have 3D models, now.) I couldn't go back to the first game after playing the 3 successive titles that improved on it, so I finally caved and bought Untold.

Between Expert difficulty, and limiting myself to the storyline characters, it's sufficiently different that catching up to this LP wasn't too bad a slog. Pity we're not likely to see a new one until PersonaQ is finished. Or a remake of EOII, whichever.

Reco
Feb 26, 2011

Rangpur posted:

Not quite--there are a handful of new FOEs and random encounters scattered throughout the main labyrinth as well. (And I guess the enemies not present in EOIV have 3D models, now.) I couldn't go back to the first game after playing the 3 successive titles that improved on it, so I finally caved and bought Untold.

Between Expert difficulty, and limiting myself to the storyline characters, it's sufficiently different that catching up to this LP wasn't too bad a slog. Pity we're not likely to see a new one until PersonaQ is finished. Or a remake of EOII, whichever.

I meant new assets for enemies from the first game. I definitely know about the new FOEs.

And yeah, stuff like Dracoliches or whatever they called them have their own stuff. I overlooked that.

Also a remake of EOII with slightly better balance would probably be the best game ever.

Malek Deneith
Jun 1, 2011
I'm not really caught up on this thread as I am trying not to read beyond what I reached in my Untold playthrough but I feel the need to say it's a very good read and I hope the LP will continue.

...and by that I mean you should resume updating before I find out where you live and start sending Ragelopes there :argh:

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

quote:

In Untold they replaced the unavoidable Diabolix fight with a Forest Demon. I wonder if they did it just to mix things up or if they did it because Diabolix instantly wrecks everyone who goes at her full-throttle, which is kind of a dick move against newer players?

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

I found Cruella and Diabolix easier than Forest Demon personally. Though that was mainly because of Austin's "Block the first status effect" tea.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

That's true and I made use of it too but at the same time I can see someone who was cruising through Story mode not being prepared and having Highlander, Arthur, and Frederica instagibbing themselves on the first turn.

cdyoung
Mar 2, 2012

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

I found Cruella and Diabolix easier than Forest Demon personally. Though that was mainly because of Austin's "Block the first status effect" tea.

He tells stories. The Maid serves tea.

100percentjesusfree
Mar 18, 2009

FOE! FOE!
100% FOE!
Uh, wow, this sure has been a while. :v: For what it's worth, I don't consider this thread dead exactly, I've just had basically no time to really sit down and work on it. I know real life comes before LP and all that, but it's still gotten a bit ridiculous, and I'm sorry for that.

Thing is, I don't want to start updating until I'm sure that I can actually continue updating consistently for a bit, rather than just post once then vanish for months (again), so it's left me in a bit of an awkward position, where even if I DO have time to sit down and work on an update, I don't really get around to it because I know it's just a bit of time in between being busy.

I figure anyone who stuck with the thread this long deserved an explanation at least, and I'd rather not have the thread fall into the archives, especially if archives are still being a bit iffy. So, yeah, not dead and all that (hopefully) I'm just not exactly sure when I'm going to really have time to work on updates, either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
Don't worry about it man. It's not like anyone is forced to commit to a schedule or something when doing these. Glad to hear it isn't dead at least. This LP pretty much helped me get into the series. I just jumped into the first game and had no idea what to do or what skills I should have been going for until stumbled upon this a few months ago.

• Locked thread