Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Turncoat Mommy
Oct 3, 2010

I believe in you.
Three whole speaking parts for Keyser, well isn't he being chatty. You're getting better with your writing, 20 updates from now we'll be reading poetry that rivals Dante written out of pure spite.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Death Dealer
Jul 25, 2006

I wouldn't tempt him too much, Keyser's lines might just become EO specific mad libs from famous works.

Okay, nevermind, encourage him. That would be hilarious for an update or two.

Party wise this one is working out fine voice wise and gameplay wise, but if at any point Alvis ends up being a pain in your rear end due to using the "wrong" elements or just gets to be a chore to write, feel free to replace him with our other Alch, or take a walk on the weird side with some of the classes you normally don't run with as often.

Grind for the Grind Gods, Stats for the Stats Throne. :getin:

But seriously, sometimes just zoning out might be nice once Uni starts back up. Read a few chapters of whatever assignment, knock out a level or two, repeat.

Rose Spirit
Nov 4, 2010

:33 < APEX PURREDATOR
Keep doin' what you're doin', 100%jf. I'm enjoying it all. :)

100percentjesusfree
Mar 18, 2009

FOE! FOE!
100% FOE!

Lazy Programming posted:

Three whole speaking parts for Keyser, well isn't he being chatty. You're getting better with your writing, 20 updates from now we'll be reading poetry that rivals Dante written out of pure spite.

Thanks! I'm sorry about the low quantity of Keyser's dialogue, but a lot of the time, I'm really not sure what to have him say - I'm not a poet, and as a rule of thumb, anything he says that isn't a haiku or a limerick is probably a result of me googling around a bit.

EO madlibs sounds like an amusing idea, but I have no idea how I'd pull it off. :v: In any case, I'm really glad to hear this is still enjoyable and such!

Also, TheShim, you're certainly right about poison not kicking in if you can kill enemies before the turn ends, it's why my strategy with poisonous enemies tends to be to just murder it as fast as I can. :v:

GeneralYeti
Jul 22, 2012

Look at this smug broken asshole.
In EO2, you could force a pre-emptive strike by approaching an FOE from behind. Does the same thing apply to EO1? Just curious.

You have a broken URL tag in your OP by the way. It's the one linking update 13.

100percentjesusfree
Mar 18, 2009

FOE! FOE!
100% FOE!

GeneralYeti posted:

In EO2, you could force a pre-emptive strike by approaching an FOE from behind. Does the same thing apply to EO1? Just curious.

You have a broken URL tag in your OP by the way. It's the one linking update 13.

Aha, thanks. Fixed that! Also, it works on bosses, so I presume so, yes. Depending on their movement patterns, actually getting into a position where you can move in behind them like that can be tricky, though.

E. Actually, I ran into something that might be a bit of a problem, and would like to throw out (another) little vote to the thread - it was mentioned a couple of updates ago, but Defender and Immunize really do break the game somewhat.

However, while working on an update, I was reminded of how nasty FOEs in strata beyond the first can get, so I'd like to know which is more important to the thread:

Finishing floors as completely as possible and taking out FOEs when we first see them, which involves abusing Defender/Immunize to neuter their damage output, allowing me to explore the floor easily, or

Coming back later to fight things we shouldn't be able to handle yet. This would mean I'd have no real excuse for gamebreaking tactics - I've heard some comments both ways, so I'd like to see what the thread as a whole thinks. It might also mean I can't get at certain areas of the map, or at least, that I'd have to be sneaky to get at them rather than just powering through everything that gets in the way. :v:

I'll still probably try and avoid using Defender+Immunize to cheese actual bosses, though, unless I'm having a lot of trouble. (or unless everyone calls for most bosses to get curb-stomped, either way.)

100percentjesusfree fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Aug 21, 2012

100percentjesusfree
Mar 18, 2009

FOE! FOE!
100% FOE!
Update 14 - Stratum 2 is really bloody horrible.

Sorry to double post, but here's an update!

Welcome back, everyone! I had forgotten how unpleasant it was to step into a new stratum - some of the choices Atlus made regarding difficulty in this game are... uh, fairly typical of Atlus, actually.

Still irritating.

"Let's just get this over with."

"Yeah, yeah, we killed Fenrir. Twice, actually, thing won't seem to stay dead."

"When was this? I don't remember-"

"While you were busy messing around with that stupid plant thing."

"Ohhh."

"I thank you all. I thought you to be common novices, but you've grown into fine adventurers."

:smug: "Told ya. Don't you dare tell me we have to fill out any forms for this."

"It always lifts my spirits to see young adventurers growing stronger. Continue working hard to explore the forest while improving your skills.

Ah yes, I almost forgot. For defeating Fenrir... We present a small reward to show our gratitude for all your hard work."

Obtained 2000en

:signings:

Much as I complained about monetary rewards in the past, this is nice. Also, money's going to be very useful again for a while, so yay.

"Not bad at all. Let's go see what we can make slaughtering our way through the second stratum!"

"Ewwwww."

"More of these things?! I guess they made their way up to that secluded bit on the first floor... somehow."

"Where there's a will, there's a way."

"More of these things?!" :argh: "We really need to figure out a way through."

"Perhaps I can facilitate a lightning strike sufficient to blast the door open! :science:"

"No. Knowing you, you'd just wind up blowing us up."

:gibs:

"Ugh. I am NOT carrying her back covered in that mess."

So yeah! Venomgels are resistant to physical attacks, hit for 30-40 odd damage, and can poison your entire party. We cannot do enough damage to bring them down in one round, and they are everywhere.

They're also just the start of stratum 2's bastardry. Remember me saying money is pretty important again? I have been spending SO MUCH on healing and reviving characters.

These things make a repeat appearance... and allow me to correct something I said earlier. They don't poison on their normal attack, but they DO have an attack which deals damage (slightly less than normal) and has a chance to poison.

"Whew! Good thing that poison missed."

"My body is on fire!"

"Why do we have nothing to heal this!?"

"I've studied poison enough!"

"This poison burns like a fire
The pain might just make me cry
My current only, burning desire
is to watch those drat gels die."

"...Eesh."

This is what happens when one venomgel gets in a lucky spray. And again, I can't kill them in one turn, so yay near-enough whole party damage! :suicide:

"Ah, a gathering point! We'll have to get those farmbots down here soon."

"Oh god, not more of these things!"

The spiders aren't too bad. Sloths, on the other hand, are still a nightmare to deal with.

"Huh. Hector? You might not want to move too much, I think I can see your ribs poking out your back."

:c00lbert:

Allslash really is pretty ace when dealing with groups.

One other good thing to say about the nasty fights like this: the experience is pretty great.

New stratum, new FOEs. Let's see how this goes.

"It's... a huge bird?"

"Let's see how it tastes. Kill it!"

"Actually, nevermind. I don't want to eat it anymore."

"What's it doing?"

"Argh!"

Stratum 2 FOEs, ladies and gentlemen! Able to take a few hits from poison, and kill your entire team in a couple of rounds.

This is what prompted the latest thread vote - I can either just avoid these things and come back later, or abuse defender/immunize to kill 'em right away.

I did the latter here, then realised some people might prefer I didn't, hence the vote. :v:

The rewards for killing it are kinda lackluster, too.

Though its leg does sell for a decent amount.

"Let's go back! See if there was anything it was guarding,"

"Much as I'd like to poke fun at the idea of a bird guarding something, I've seen weirder things here already."

"Ooh!"

"Ooooh!"

"I could really do with a new weapon, too, sometime."

Another gathering point. This floor is honestly littered with them - good luck getting a team designed for farming to survive more than a minute here, though.

And here's a fine example of Atlus playing fair. Pre-emptive strike, one party member killed before I can do anything. Thanks, game.

"Augh! I feel even squishier than usual."

"Maybe next time you
Should look into upgrading
your armour you tit."

Yup. Totally forgot to buy Alvis an armour upgrade. So that's why he was dying more than usual. :v:

"Well, this looks promising."

"For once, let's hold back on this. I'm not eager to get eaten by an overgrown chicken."

"It might be something else!"

"It might be something worse, yeah. Let's hold off on this for a bit."

There are a couple of rooms like this down here, where you have to avoid a whole bunch of FOEs at once. It's... very, very tense.

Another gathering point! This one's a mining point.

"Where did that come from?"

"Much as I'd like to spend time studying it, I don't care! Run!"

So, yeah. An FOE spawns when you enter that room and head south, then chases you into the next room. Not sure why they did that, but it is an unpleasant surprise.

"I wonder if FOEs can smell fear..."

"Honestly, I think I can smell your fear. You could do with new pants."

:mad:

"Finally, a shortcut!"

"Pretty close to the stairs down, too!"

"So, are we going down already?"

"Seeing as we're having enough trouble staying alive on this floor, I think we ought to hold off a little longer."

"But hey, free treasure!"

"Crap treasure, but still."

This is basically a Bravant that buffs defense instead of attack. Still not a fan.

And here's another fight that started badly...

And quickly got even worse. Random encounters down here can be absurdly hard - we pretty much won this because immunize is overpowered, and poison kills sloths very quickly.

"It's reaching the point I'd rather fight Fenrir again than mess around down there any longer, this place is nuts."

"Maybe a quest would help you feel better? There was a horticulture one, that can't be too hard, right?"

"There used to be an old man in Etrian who grew lots of different types of flowers. I visited his garden now and then, and it always struck me as incrediblybeautiful... Anyway, I heard the old man died the other day. In his will, he asked that someone try to grow the only flower he could never raise."

"This sounds like a cinch already."

"Shh!"

"His last words were that he knew it bloomed in a certain place in the Labyrinth... But he found out that it was on the 6th floor. And of course, he was in no condition to go somewhere as dangerous as that. I have the flower seeds he left behind. Will you please give it a try? I know the old man will be rooting for you, wherever he is now..."

Obtained Gold Seed.

There's one spot on B6 where this flower blooms... before this quest, there's absolutely no suggestion of where it is.

Fortunately, when you reach the spot, the game lets you know.

Standing here, you suddenly remember the quest you accepted at the pub... The quest to raise the flower entrusted to you, to fulfil the old man's last wishes. This must be the place on the 6th floor that the old man had mentioned as suitable."

"Yup! See, easy!"

You place the seed into the hole you dug, then begin to pack the earth back on top. As you concentrate on your work, you feel a sudden air of imminent threat.

"Uh-oh."

A swarm of bees ambushes you!

"No, not the bees!"

"Technically, these are wasps."

"Technically, they're all going to die in a turn from Allslash."

For one reason or another, a different battle tune plays for this fight. So...

Destruction Begets Decay

I missed the screenshot, but there's a message to the effect of 'some more bees attack!'

"Oh no, whatever will we do?"

This time it's two Waspiors and a Sleepgel.

"Maybe I shouldn't have exhausted myself killing off wasps."

"You think?"

There were two wasps with him. Allslash, as usual, took care of them nicely.

Remembering the planted seed, you look again and see that it has blossomed into a flower. An exquisite blue flower you've never seen before has grown before your eyes..."

"That's totally how plants work, yes. They're well-known for growing instantly by themselves."

"Hey, at least it made things easier for us!"

You carefully take the flower and head to town to plant it in the old man's garden.

Obtained Rare Bloom.

Obtained 500 en.

"Welcome back, kids. Oh, is that the flower that bloomed from the seed? What a pretty flower... If only the old man could have seen it before he passed away. Thanks for your hard work. I think I'll visit his garden and plant the flower there."

"And with that, I think I need a break."

Just as a reminder, please do vote on whether or not you'd prefer me to be a bit cheap, and successful at slaughtering FOEs, or just avoid them 'til I'm strong enough to beat them 'properly'!

New Shop Stuff!

The broadsword is a slight upgrade over the boar spear, not as good as the rapier, but definitely nice to have if you have multiple sword users. Requires 1 Steel Lump, which drops fairly rarely from Sleepgels and Venomgels.

Hoo boy, is this ever important. Revival is incredibly useful to have, to say the least. Requires 5 Amber Lumps, which you can get from Take points in stratum 1, and as a fairly rare drop from Waspiors.

100percentjesusfree fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Aug 21, 2012

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Use whatever it takes to murder the FOEs. :black101:

GeneralYeti
Jul 22, 2012

Kill everything as soon as possible as brutally as possible with :science:

You know that Atlus wouldn't give you a break...why should you give them one?

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Just steamroll them. Don't worry about playing fair.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
Slaughter one of each of the FOEs unfairly to unlock drops, at least. Beyond that, your call.

Second stratum gets nasty fast... :ohdear:

Death Dealer
Jul 25, 2006

By all means, steamroll the FOEs to unlock the drops. Consider doing something similar to get your Farmbots up to "Not immediately screwed" for each Stratum as well if that doesn't end up just sounding like tedium. :v:

Granted, I say this as someone that gave gathering skills to everyone, had a Survivor in my team (with all three gathering skills) and never abused Immunize/Defender. So I clearly don't know the proper meaning of the word since other than a few spots I didn't find anything TOO rough. Admittedly, I didn't have nearly as many gather chances as your dedicated farmbots either, but it was still something like 5/5/5 or so which isn't bad when you're also rapidly filling your inventory thanks to the scavenger skill.

PoliteMachineGun
Oct 5, 2011

They noticed me!
Covet this, fools!
Steamroll those fuckers. I finally gave in and started playing a few days ago, my main party is now about ten levels above yours, and I still hate those fuckers. Not as much now that my Alchemist is more rounded out and I finally taught my medic Revive, but I will never forget the pain they inflicted. Never!

By the way, Keyser was brilliant this update. One thing I don't quite get though, and I'm not sure if this is something discussed earlier that I just missed: what about Shelter? My party is Landsknecht, Survivor, Medic, Alchemist and Troubadour, so for the tougher fights I've been using Shelter and Immunizer. But I have yet to see anyone actually recommending using it. Did I waste skill points by unlocking it? :v:

100percentjesusfree
Mar 18, 2009

FOE! FOE!
100% FOE!

PoliteMachineGun posted:

Steamroll those fuckers. I finally gave in and started playing a few days ago, my main party is now about ten levels above yours, and I still hate those fuckers. Not as much now that my Alchemist is more rounded out and I finally taught my medic Revive, but I will never forget the pain they inflicted. Never!

By the way, Keyser was brilliant this update. One thing I don't quite get though, and I'm not sure if this is something discussed earlier that I just missed: what about Shelter? My party is Landsknecht, Survivor, Medic, Alchemist and Troubadour, so for the tougher fights I've been using Shelter and Immunizer. But I have yet to see anyone actually recommending using it. Did I waste skill points by unlocking it? :v:

It's not exactly a waste, no, it just works a bit differently to Immunize and Defender. It gives a boost to your party's defenses, whereas Immunize and Defender give a flat percentage of damage reduction, which generally works out to being slightly more handy.

On the other hand, Troubadour buffs don't wear off after five turns the way most do, so it's certainly handy to have a defensive buff you don't need to worry about wearing off, or keep recasting.

Zebrin
Mar 12, 2010

Chopping trees down and making elves cry.
Slaughter the FOEs. But don't cheap out on the actual bosses.

Sacrificial Toast
Nov 5, 2009

Eh, you can do whatever you want, but if I'm not mistaken, there's a sidequest coming up pretty soon that should put your main crew ahead of the leveling curve for most of the game. I don't recall having much trouble with FOEs beyond that point in the first game.

Yapping Eevee
Nov 12, 2011

STAND TOGETHER.
FIGHT WITH HONOR.
RESTORE BALANCE.

Eevees play for free.
I said it before, and I'll say it again. Steamroll everything, bosses included. :black101:

...I just want to see an Atlus game get crushed, okay?

Zebrin
Mar 12, 2010

Don't they always leave in plenty of tools to do that? You just have to be in the right frame of mind(Insane if you were wondering what it is...) to find it.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.
Well, yes, but sometimes the right frame of mind is "Go to the Item World and grind this one dude until he is level 9999, then reincarnate him and do it again." It's refreshing to see a big red button right out of the gate marked "PRESS ME TO SNAP THIS GAME IN TWO."

Serenity Dove
Jan 29, 2008

If I had a Pikachu, it'd probably eat my stuff.
Blood for the blood god, FOES for the FOE god. :black101:

Zebrin
Mar 12, 2010

Captain Bravo posted:

Well, yes, but sometimes the right frame of mind is "Go to the Item World and grind this one dude until he is level 9999, then reincarnate him and do it again." It's refreshing to see a big red button right out of the gate marked "PRESS ME TO SNAP THIS GAME IN TWO."

Uhh... holy poo poo were you playing that game wrong... It is multiple reincarnations at high level of retention. You only go for levels when you are finished reincarnating.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.
I was just trying to reference the fact that the game not only had levels that went up to 9999, but also had a mechanic to take a character with levels and turn them back into level 1. Don't take everything so literally, you and I both know that no matter how well you played it Disgaea was 30% game 70% time sink.

Raitzeno
Nov 24, 2007

What? It seemed like
a good idea at the time.

Captain Bravo posted:

I was just trying to reference the fact that the game not only had levels that went up to 9999, but also had a mechanic to take a character with levels and turn them back into level 1. Don't take everything so literally, you and I both know that no matter how well you played it Disgaea was 30% game 70% time sink.

The last time I played Phantom Brave it was 10-90, mostly cause A) I already knew the story, and B) i finally figured out Failure titles, and with it, how to really break things this time. My first play of that game was... rough.

In any case, yeah, knowing there's an I Win button is nice, and I'd probably cart it around but either forget to use it, or deliberately not use it long enough to forget about it when I'd really want it. :sigh:

100percentjesusfree
Mar 18, 2009

FOE! FOE!
100% FOE!
Alright, looks like the votes are in for crushing FOEs the best I can, so I'll be giving that a shot!

Sorry about the delay and such, had a couple of rather busy days.

As for bosses, I'll probably do similar to what I did with Fenrir, take them on both with and without being cheap, unless I get particularly stuck on one. :v:

Then again, sacrificial toast does have a point, a quest coming up fairly soon does tend to result in the party winding up a little overlevelled. We'll see how things go!

Roctavian
Feb 23, 2011

You could throw Richter in for a bit, at least to keep him competitively leveled -- he'll be more interesting to have in the party later in the game. Keyser is working pretty well though, not gonna lie. Keep up the good work!

100percentjesusfree
Mar 18, 2009

FOE! FOE!
100% FOE!

Roctavian posted:

You could throw Richter in for a bit, at least to keep him competitively leveled -- he'll be more interesting to have in the party later in the game. Keyser is working pretty well though, not gonna lie. Keep up the good work!

Sure thing! I actually wanted to mess about with bindings a little anyway. Besides, when we're trying to keep fights as short as possible, Keyser's TP regen over time, the most important trick he has up his sleeve, doesn't help all that much.

Also, apologies for the lack of updates lately, had rather a busy week. I'll try and fix that!

GeneralYeti
Jul 22, 2012

How exactly do bindings work, again? I can't quite remember. I know it has something to do with preventing actions of some sort, though it's been so long since I played an EO game.

Raitzeno
Nov 24, 2007

What? It seemed like
a good idea at the time.

GeneralYeti posted:

How exactly do bindings work, again? I can't quite remember. I know it has something to do with preventing actions of some sort, though it's been so long since I played an EO game.

Most skills are tied to a body part. Bind their head, most magic skills are out. Bind their arm, most weapon skills are gone. Bind their legs, they can't Escape or use Chase skills (in EO3, not sure if those existed yet in EO1).

theshim
May 1, 2012

Also arm bind lowers damage, leg bind lowers evasion, and I think head bind lowers accuracy, not sure on that one.

E: STUPID

theshim fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Sep 2, 2012

100percentjesusfree
Mar 18, 2009

FOE! FOE!
100% FOE!

theshim posted:

Also arm bind lowers damage, leg bind lowers damage, and I think head bind lowers accuracy, not sure on that one.

From what I remember, you're right on Head Bind lowering accuracy. I THINK binding the legs also means all attacks are guaranteed to hit, but don't quote me on that.

Update 15 - Can't bear this floor anymore!

Sorry this is kinda late! Been rather busy - I'm definitely not forgetting about the thread or anything, though!

"So, let me get this straight. You're too busy writing your life story to join us this time?"

"Ah, life. It twists and turns, like a... twisty, turny thing..."

"Don't think he's listening."

"Richter's back, though! Apparently, those reports of vampires were kinda exaggerated... it was mostly just a bunch of people calling themselves goths."

"Heh, and he turned up dressed in leather and a whip? Bet he was the life of the party."

"Please. I'd rather not think about it."

So, yeah. Richter's been out of the party for a while, so let's see how he's do-

Oh, cock. This is the main disadvantage of swapping party members around a lot - some inevitably get left behind, and helping them catch up is a pain.

After a bit of (fairly slow, uneventful) grinding in the second stratum, though, this happens!

"There was a boy who wanted to meet a level 20 landsknecht. The landsknecht in your party is at the level the child wanted to see now... Return to the pub and report in when you have time."

"I... don't know what the whole 'level' thing's about, but I feel ready to go talk to that kid. Let's head back, wouldn't want him dying while we mess around down here."

"Welcome back. Goodness, you've become a strong landsknecht... Well, let's go see the boy."

The scene fades for a moment, then comes back.

"I knew the boy'd be happy. But I wonder... is it okay for him to run around like that? Well, the client was pleased, and that's the important thing. Keep it up, kids."

Our reward is a bravant, which uh... kinda sucks. But if you're using a landsknecht anyway, completing this quest is pretty much inevitable, so it's not like it's a big deal. It also unlocks another quest:

"Decided to take the request, have you? Good, I've been hoping someone would. That poor kid... He'll never be strong, so he wants to meet a powerful adventurer. He's hoping to meet a protector above level 30. Do this for him, okay?"

"Again with the levels!"

"Eh, it's an instinct thing. We'll know when it's time."

"Bah, still no undead slaying quests?"

"Well, we DID find some kind of wolf that seems to keep coming back to life-"

"Why didn't you tell me this sooner?! Come, companions! Let us send this beast to its eternal sleep!"

"I don't suppose you can change your hiring policy a little? It seems half your guild is nuts."

"If I did that, you'd be out, too."

:mad:

I was swapping members around a bit in this update, sorry about that - I wanted to try and show off some stuff regarding binds, and also wanted a few rematches with Fenrir for experience - Alvis would still have trouble with the big wolf, so Serasmus stepped in for a bit.

Hope you don't mind!

"Hah! See what good powerful jaws do you when you cannot open them!"

This is a beautiful message against this boss, because...

Of that. Binding part of an enemy generally makes it unable to use special moves related to that part of the body, as I think I mentioned - so biting/magic attacks can't be used if the head is bound, etc.

Thing is, enemies will still try to use them, and just completely waste their turn. This can be a lifesaver now and then.

Also, compare how much exp Fenrir gives with some of the random enemies on stratum 2... grinding against this guy is a pretty good way of getting relatively fast experience.

It does require you to sleep for two weeks between each fight, though, so it's generally not that cost-effective, even if you have a team of lower level people who can sleep at the inn for a lower price.

"Let's be careful, everyone... the last time we ran into one of these FOEs, it was pretty awful."

"Bear! Now THIS looks like a fight!"

I apologise for the update title, I just like bad puns. :v:

And naturally, I forgot to take Alvis. Serasmus isn't really built for general FOE killing yet - his Flame, which does around 200 damage a shot to Fenrir, hits for about 90 against these things.

Speaking of Fenrir, these guys have a familiar trick up their sleeve... it honestly doesn't go much worse than this.

:aaaaa:

"Bah, pansies."

Fortunately, Atlus forgot to balance buffs in this game so... honestly, I got pretty luck in this fight, no one spent that much time frozen in terror, and Defender + Immunize lasted long enough to see us through to the end.

This was odd, though. Also very tense - I fully expected a second bear to come join in the fight. I'm not sure if it didn't because its movement is meant to stop there, or if it's just that the bears are too big to have a bunch on screen at once... anyone who wants to chime in, feel free!

The rewards are decent, but sadly, it didn't drop its loot this time - like a lot of FOEs, the loot from these guys is pretty drat nice.

These (and the Moas) both managed to annoy me, though - they are, apparently, quite resistant to being bound. Try as I might, I had no luck getting Richter to get a single bind to land on any of them.

Perhaps he'll have more luck when the skills are maxed out.

"Argh, still a whole room of these drat things. Let's go fetch Alvis - poison tends to make quick work of big things like these."

"Maybe I spoke too soon."

"Alviiiiis! :argh:"

Yeah, despite alchemist's poison having a ridiculous base chance of success, these things seem to resist it rather handily, too.

Not too much though, fortunately.

"There! Finally... transmuting all the blood in something's body to poison SOUNDS simple on paper, but it's such a pain to get working!"

"Um... that... sounds pretty hard to me, actually."

"And that's why you're not a scientist." :colbert:

Fortunately, just like the first stratum, poison is still pretty much a death sentence, especially when the party's able to endure a lot of attacks.

Anyway, there was one more bear to fight... which FINALLY gave up the goods.

As for why I wanted this... well, you'll see when I talk about new shop stuff. :v:

"Augh. Is it just me, or is killing all these bears giving anyone else an urge to set some fires?"

"What? No!"

"Maybe I just need a quick rest. All the claws to the head aren't doing me any good."

"Right. There's another quest at the bar that I think I can get done with some of those farmbot things, so you get your rest, while I keep getting poo poo done."

So we go pick up the Prayer to the Stars quest.

I really don't know why they made her say this before pretty much every single quest.

"The girl wants you to gather Starseeds for a love charm that supposedly grants wishes."

"What."

"She said she'll need five of them to complete the charm. It's kind of like wishing on a star, in a way... Cute."

"Ah, crap."

"Yyyyeah, there was pretty much no way that wasn't going to happen."

"Great! One down, a few more to go."

This is the simplest way of doing the quest - get some of your gathering party to come to one of the Chop points on this floor, and gather. It's the rarest of the three items that drops from here (the other two being Mugworts and Light Wood). Interestingly, the various chop/take/mine points on this floor are all slightly different to each other - the chop point here has Light Wood as it's middle-rarity item, while another that we haven't seen yet has Scent Wood. I just went for this one because it's much closer to the entrance.

"While we're down here, might as well hit up the other nearby gathering spots. What can go wrong?"

This is the nearby Take point, with Dye Petals, Mint Leaves and Cross Seeds (the other has Crabapples instead of Dye Petals, but we could get those in the previous stratum so you can pretty much ignore that one.)

And this is the nearby mine point, with Scrap Iron, Whitestone and Thin Shells. The other mine point replaces Whitestone with Fossils, so it's more useful, but was also more of a pain to get to from where we were.

"Alright, let's walk back! These farmbots could use a little training, and we've been doing fine so far!"

"Are you sure this is a good idea?"

"Well, also, I kinda forgot to pick up any warp wire."

:ughh:

Of course, the one time I forget to buy any, we get pre-emptively attacked and this happened. I'm actually missing the screenshot of the fight where Dietrich died, but it did teach me something interesting.

Apparently, if you win combat in the same round that your front line dies, the rows don't switch. Same for if you flee before a round of combat ends.

"Whyyyyy. Why does it have to be this ONE time we forget to take any warp wire that everything has to go wrong?!"

"We made it! Just!"

"With the power of science, any task can be accomplished!"

"Oh shush. We just ran from everything."

"Well, yes, but that sounds less impressive."

"Out of curiousity, do you think these seeds will really make her dreams a reality? Oh, don't give me that look... I know perfectly well it's just a silly superstition."

"Then why ask? I'm in no mood for stupid questions."

"The important thing is that they'll give her the courage to confess her love."

"No, the important thing is that the next time I see one of those sloth's smug-rear end faces, I'm going to punch its teeth in."

"But then... I wonder why she wanted five of them...?"

"Well, just wanting one wouldn't be much of a fetch quest, would it?"

"Shh!"

Axcela II... you can only use it in combat, and it gives you a bunch of boost points. Eh, boost is handy sometimes but kind of gimmicky. I find it's mostly useful against bosses, and if you fight a lot on the way to one, you'll probably have full boost by the time you reach it anyway.

"Ah, Dietrich! You're looking cheerful!"

"Not in the mood. You ready to stop whinging about a few claw marks to the head?"

"Yeah, yeah. Let's go see what was past those bears... better be some half-decent treasure."

Notably, you don't really HAVE to beat those bears to get past them, it's just easier to move around without having to worry about them. I prefer just ploughing through things whenever I can, though.

"There are some medicinal plants! That's kinda like treasure!"

"No, it really isn't."

Yeah, the harder to get to take spot is worse than the other. No idea why they did that.

"Despair not! There's still another corner for us to turn, surely treasure lies around there!"

"Ah, a giant bird! That's kind of li-"

"No, don't even finish that."

Alvis' Thunder still isn't up to scratch with his poison damage/Serasmus' fire, but it's getting there.

"Hmm, the bird's limb should sell for a fair bit, I think the last one did. That counts, right?"

"It'd better, it's just a dead end past here."

:ughh:

"Aha! Real treasure!"

"We're nowhere near that path anymore, but whatever. I'll take what I can get."

"Oh hey, it's that bird that chased us last time."

"Anyone up for roast chicken?"

"I'm more partial to beef. Especially when I find it in a wall somewhere."

"That really doesn't sound healthy."

"More good lumber, here! Eesh. This place is teeming with resources."

Fortunately, this is the last gathering spot.

It was mentioned in the thread that sneaking up on FOEs from behind gives a free pre-emptive attack. It's not always easy, or even possible, but I decided to give it a shot.

Turns out it's true!

And after a rousing round of bear-based genocide, here's how our map's looking. Floor 6 is just about done!

Next time, we'll be tackling floor 7, and being introduced to a 'fun' new mechanic!

Also, my apologies if this update kind of sucked. It's been a while since I wrote anything, so it's kind of hard to tell if I'm still doing okay, or being terrible. :v:

I really need to stop having big gaps between updates.

It's been a while since I talked about how I'm spending skill points, so time for me to give another quick rundown.

Hector here has two points in TP up, a point of DEF up, 5 points in Shields, 5 points in Provoke, 5 in Defender, 3 in F. Guard and 3 in B. Guard.

He's suffering a little from me changing my mind on how I wanted to spend his skill points, but now I'm building him towards being able to use the Antifire/Anticold/Antivolt series, as they're very handy, especially later on.

Dietrich has 5 points in both Axes and Swords, though he'll probably never USE an axe. It's just a prerequisite for 2-Hit, which he has 3 points in. He has 1 point in Cleaver, and 10 in Allslash, my favourite Landsknecht move. (2-hit is a prerequisite for Allslash, so to get the best sword move, you need points in Axes.)

Richter has 10 points in Whips, 3 in Gag, 2 in Shackles and 1 in Cuffs. Whips passively increases whip damage, while Gag/Shackles/Cuffs bind Head/Legs/Arms in that order. I'll probably be maxing all of those out sooner or later.

Jill has a point in TP up, 5 points in Healer, 2 in Patch Up, 3 points in Cure, Cure II and Salve, 1 point in Salve II, and 7 points in Immunize.

Last but not least, Alvis also has a point in TP up, 5 points in Volt up, 1 point in Toxins, 3 points each in Volt and Thunder (the lowest and highest damage Lightning spells, respectively) and ten ranks in Poison. At some point, I'm half tempted to have his skills reset to take away all those points spent on poison when it becomes less useful. Death Dealer, he's your character, would you prefer him to keep the poison skill or lose it at some point?

New Shop Stuff!

These things are the whole reason I wanted Bear Fur. They only require 1 lot of it to make, and are pretty drat good, giving significant defense, a little more damage, and even making casters a bit better. On top of that, anyone can wear them! Only downside is that they're not exactly cheap.

The Petal Coat requires 3 Dye Petals (from the Take point at D2) and 1 Sticky Web which drops from spiders. It's not bad! If you think your caster's speed is very important, by all means, grab it. It's also a nice upgrade if you don't feel like farming Fenrir for his rare drop.

The three Oils apply elemental damage to a character's normal attacks for the rest of the battle (I think? They might also wear off in 5 turns, I never really used these much.)

They can be handy, especially if you know you'll be fighting something that heavily resists physical attacks. One Cross Seed will put the entire set in the shop.

The Magnet warps you back to the last geomagnetic field that you used, as it says. It can be useful to get out of trouble and save without going back to town, as going back to town costs all your Boost points, but... ehh. I tend to just take Warp Wires instead.

Or just completely forget them and nearly die as a result. :v:

Medica 3 is just a great big healy item, and it never hurts to have it available. Requires 5 crabapples and a Mint Leaf, which you get from Take points.

Hamao, meanwhile, is just a massive heal to HP and TP, with a nasty price tag. Very nice as an 'oh poo poo' button, but very hard to afford, and also largely redundant right now as it heals for about twice our tankiest characters' health. It takes ten amber lumps (From Take points in stratum 1 and Waspiors) and 2 mint leaves (from take points in stratum 2).

The name also makes me think of the Hama line of spells from Atlus' SMT series.

The Oval Aspis is a nice boost for protectors, particularly, seeing as they'll almost certainly be using a shield, but it goes great on anyone that can use it - 5 defense is a fair bit. It's a bit of a pain to get, though, as it requires 9 stingers (from Waspiors) and 3 Steel Lumps, which drop fairly infrequently from the various 'gel' enemies.

The Old Choker requires 3 Fossils (from the Mine spot at A7), and is not a bad item - I'm not 100% sure what Luc does in this game, but from a bit of looking around, it seems to affect a lot of things - drop rate, success rate of status attacks, critical rate, etc.

That in mind, if you're using a lot of status attacks with, say, a dark hunter or a hexxer, toss this on them. Might help! At worst, it'll still be helping your drop rate a bit.

E. Almost forgot to mention this, but it kinda goes without saying - this thing is pretty drat expensive, especially for something where I'm not 100% sure of all the effects it has. :v:

Last but not least, Theriaca B. A status healing item that is pretty important, as the Medic's status-healing is a bit... well, shite. Never hurts to have a few of these on you!

Oops, I nearly forgot! I finally found a good channel on Youtube which has all of Etrian Odyssey's music, including some of the stuff I had trouble finding before.

Some of the songs are quite nice, I think. Would people prefer I Only link them when a new song shows up or Link to whatever music fits the current scene?

100percentjesusfree fucked around with this message at 15:00 on Sep 2, 2012

theshim
May 1, 2012

100percentjesusfree posted:

From what I remember, you're right on Head Bind lowering accuracy. I THINK binding the legs also means all attacks are guaranteed to hit, but don't quote me on that.
:ughh: Binding legs lowers evasion, not damage, stupid stupid stupid. It doesn't guarantee attacks will hit, especially those with low accuracy, but it greatly raises the chances. Edited my post.

quote:

Oops, I nearly forgot! I finally found a good channel on Youtube which has all of Etrian Odyssey's music, including some of the stuff I had trouble finding before.

Some of the songs are quite nice, I think. Would people prefer I Only link them when a new song shows up or Link to whatever music fits the current scene?

I say both, honestly. There's quite a few uploaders with the EO music, for that matter (I can think of Banim and asukacrystalrose off the top of my head).

Death Dealer
Jul 25, 2006

Feel free to reset Alvis if you feel up to getting him up to speed. I knew how incredibly useful poison was for early stratum but he's a Lightning Alch for all intents and purposes originally. :v:

Although to prevent that Warp Wire issue, I would not complain if you put a point into Warp. Hell, I did that when I played because it made my farm trips a bit more "profitable" with the extra inventory space. I also tended to be more conservative with my TP early in the games but just goes to show the way different people play these games. In EO3 I'm considerably less conservative, admittedly, but not in the original by a long shot.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."
Something I'm not quite sure on - once you've sold the requisite bear asses to the store to unlock an item, can you purchase an infinite number of that item or do you need to grind up a new set of bear asses for each item that you purchase?

100percentjesusfree
Mar 18, 2009

FOE! FOE!
100% FOE!

Dirk the Average posted:

Something I'm not quite sure on - once you've sold the requisite bear asses to the store to unlock an item, can you purchase an infinite number of that item or do you need to grind up a new set of bear asses for each item that you purchase?

In most cases, once you've brought in the required bear asses, you can then buy an infinite number of the item made from them. There are some exceptions to this, but as far as I can remember, it's mostly endgame/postgame stuff that requires you to bring back bear asses every time you want to buy a new item.

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

You made a fine post for yourself. ...For a casualry, I suppose.
It took me a long time to notice this thread; I played the third game in the series and liked it but eventually the glacial pacing and the poor balance got to me and I lost interest. Here's hoping you don't burn out like I did.

theshim
May 1, 2012

Heavy neutrino posted:

It took me a long time to notice this thread; I played the third game in the series and liked it but eventually the glacial pacing and the poor balance got to me and I lost interest. Here's hoping you don't burn out like I did.
The third game is actually the best balanced by far, though all of the games suffer from pacing problems, but that's built into the model. They're not for everyone, though.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

I'm still enjoying the updates, 100%. In fact I'd go so far as to say is the only bad thing is the bits where you ask if it sucks. No need for self-deprecation; you're doing fine.

100percentjesusfree
Mar 18, 2009

FOE! FOE!
100% FOE!

Lotish posted:

I'm still enjoying the updates, 100%. In fact I'd go so far as to say is the only bad thing is the bits where you ask if it sucks. No need for self-deprecation; you're doing fine.

Alrighty, sorry about that, and I'll try to reign it in. It's kind of a bad habit I have with everything, I tend to think I'm doing a bad job when things are actually alright. :v:

Sorry again!

Also, thank you!

Krumbsthumbs
Oct 23, 2010

2nd Place.
1st Loser.
I'm interested in seeing how the reset system works in EO1, and if it is any different than the later two games.

By the way, the bickering of the backline always makes me smile, whether if it is Jill and Alvis fighting, or both of them shaking their heads at what Keyser's doing, the tone works well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

100percentjesusfree
Mar 18, 2009

FOE! FOE!
100% FOE!

Krumbsthumbs posted:

I'm interested in seeing how the reset system works in EO1, and if it is any different than the later two games.

By the way, the bickering of the backline always makes me smile, whether if it is Jill and Alvis fighting, or both of them shaking their heads at what Keyser's doing, the tone works well.

In this game, at least, you can go to the Explorer's Guild, and choose any character who is level 30+ and have them Rest. Resting costs 10 levels that you'll have to grind back up, but gives them all of their skill points back. I'm fairly sure that this, at least, is constant across all the games in the series, though I try to avoid overusing it because getting ten levels back takes time.

You can also Retire characters, again once they're 30+ (I think?), which permanently removes that character, but you immediately hire a new level 1 character with enhanced stats, based on the character you retired, and a few extra skill points based on the level of whoever you just retired. I think retiring at 30 gives 1 extra skill point, and every 10 or so levels after that gives 1 extra, giving up to 6 extra skill points if you rebirth a level 70 character.

e.g. you could retire a level 70 Alchemist, and the new recruit could be any class and would have +3 Tec and +6 starting skill points. The boosted stat is based off the class you retired.

I actually never bothered with retiring all that much - if you want to make a team that's as strong as possible, it's useful, but it'll also mean you'll have to spend ages grinding a newbie back up. Besides, if I did it in this LP, we'd be losing characters went to the trouble of making, and that'd be terrible!

I might also not be entirely right on retiring, as I said, I didn't really use it. Anyone want to chime in and correct me if I'm wrong somewhere?

(Also, working on an update, and still amused by my own stupidity. Did something rather dumb due to being forgetful.)

100percentjesusfree fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Sep 3, 2012

• Locked thread