Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Death Dealer
Jul 25, 2006

I'd say go with Option C since there are a lot of unusual combos that are still perfectly viable and you can always veto if it gets too stupid.

With that said, there's a reason Medics have the Stunning Attack, and while I never personally tried it, apparently with that attack they become one of the most powerful fighters in the game since they can dish out damage roughly equivalent to the Survivalist's shot that takes 3 rounds to wind up, except EVERY turn. You obviously want a backup medic if you end up experimenting with that though.

Take this with a grain of salt, of course, but I recall that being a really popular thing to do along with a certain resist boosting skill for the post-game content. (Unspoiled since someone else basically mentioned it, just altered my wording from the original. I can respoil this if it is preferred.)

Name: Alvis

Class: Alchemist, Thunder Focused (feel free to take poison early since I know it's fun to show off how strong it can be)

Backstory: Obsessed with static electricity from a young age, Alvis learned that through Alchemy he could make increasingly destructive sparks. His idea of Alchemy may or may not simply involve rubbing things together and static shocking people. For some reason, it still works. Yes, this does basically make him the electric version of a pyromaniac in all ways.

Portrait: 3

Clan Name: Clan Runaway. Because they are so brave, you see.

Feel free to do the Survivalist "abuse" since burning out is a real possibility otherwise, even as someone that loves the series.

Edit: Grammar cleanup, rewording something to be a non-spoiler.

Death Dealer fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Jun 21, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Death Dealer
Jul 25, 2006

100percentjesusfree posted:

Eh, I like protectors for things like En Garde + Provoke. Or Provoke + Parry. Overall, they're not the best class in all situations, but can really save you in some.

e. I don't really mind a bit of talking about skills, they're not super-spoilery... I think? If anyone really minds, again, feel free to tell me I'm wrong and need to demand everyone stop talking about them, and do so myself, until they come up.

Double e. If the constant extra U's being shoved into words didn't give it away, I'm British - as a result, characters might wind up using some English colloquialisms, though I'll try not to do that too much. Especially for Dietrich, I'm pretty sure a German Brit would explode in a torrent of self loathing.

On this tack: How are you going to handle Ronin and Hexers since they don't start out unlocked in this one? Just having a vote to see if the audience wants one/both of the classes in the party when the time comes, or is it going to be a "This is what you could have had?" bonus update?

Yeah, I know this is a bit down the line when we haven't started floor 1 yet, but I've always really liked Ronin even if they are wet paper bags defensively.

Death Dealer
Jul 25, 2006

Dialogue is fine, the mugshot is a bit off as has been noted, but overall this is off to a great start.

Edit: How dare you not really forget about the other valuable members!

Death Dealer
Jul 25, 2006

Well, like all wizards Alchemists, my guy comes off like a jackass and a half.

I approve. :v:

Everything is looking great, and the dialogue isn't detracting from anything or drawing people out of the update (at least in my case, I can't exactly speak for others). Plus even though it takes longer to put the updates out, it'll help when we get deeper into the game and the in-game dialogue becomes even more sparse than it already is. I imagine it'll help keep away reader fatigue too, in a way since some people might be intimidated by things if it were just a wall of "So I went to Floor 6 and killed a Wild Boar, he dropped some Beef Jerky. I'm really not sure why. Whatever."

Not that the thread would become that sans dialogue, but I almost feel like spicing things up would be considerably rougher without the path we've chosen now.

Edit: Also, my guy isn't really a direct reference to anything no. I just went Fire/Ice in my EO1 run, and the idea of Electro-maniac instead of a Pyro amuses me. Plus poison is great. Seriously. No sense in punishing you harder than need be.

The Director Hoffman thing is intentional, as is the resemblance to EO2's Doctor to a certain other Atlus Doctor. I'll leave it at that until we get to that point.

Death Dealer fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Jun 23, 2012

Death Dealer
Jul 25, 2006

The grand irony about Alvis is that he wasn't a direct reference to anything when I wrote him up, though I am aware of the FE4 one. Still, I find it amusing that he still ended up resembling something anyway.

I do have a question though regarding something that will come up later on: (minor spoilers) How are you going to handle the items/materials that only drop when you use certain elements on a creature? Could be a useful thing to have the extra protector around for since a 2nd alchemist would certainly need protection. Though with a troubadour in the main party this might be less of an issue than I'm thinking if the elemental enchants count for that trigger.

I'd have just asked in PMs, but well, I don't have them and it's not going to mean much to anyone that mouses over not having played the game.

Death Dealer
Jul 25, 2006

The SCIENCE thing was basically what I had in mind anyway regarding Alvis, I was just leaving it open ended in case you saw it a different way. Oh, and after the 2 rat/woodfly fight you ended up calling Alvis Keyser when explaining how expensive magic is in the beginning.

I'd use the item descriptions as sub-updates for those times when you've got a longer grind session or real life cropping up so it doesn't feel like it's been a month since we last stepped foot in the labyrinth. Usually a good filler episode and the descriptions are actually rather well done.

Death Dealer
Jul 25, 2006

goldjas posted:

The FOEs in EO 1 kind of just become more difficult regular enemies very quickly. In EO 2 FOEs are almost always meant to be avoided and are generally not defeatable unless you cheese them or come back later on when your stronger. 3 is kind of a mix but is generally more like 2 then 1.

Then again in 2 and 3 you get a bunch of items to avoid FOEs on the mini map and such, I don't think you get any of those in the first game.

I forget if there are items for it in 1, but there's at least one skill that gives you vision of FOEs in 1. We might even see it later in the LP depending on the OPs playstyle (and if not I'm sure it'll at least get highlighted as a "Hey, this is a thing that can be done"). Item wise? Unless it unlocks from something I never grabbed in the main game floors, there's no FOE revealing/avoiding item like in the later games.

Death Dealer
Jul 25, 2006

You can see them on the field and map regardless, but the skill gives you an extended range of vision on the map and will also allow you to see an FOE in areas you may not have mapped out yet due to a fear of running into an FOE (or another reason that'll come up in the LP soon enough, I'm sure).

No matter what, you're never permanently screwed by choices in this game so even if you never take said skill you can make it through the entire main game portion. It may end up requiring more grinding or be much harder than it needs to be if you decide to, say, have no healing at all outside of items, but it is still technically doable. If you run into one of those rare unwinnable situations, you can always just reset skill points which has some drawbacks.

Death Dealer fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Jul 1, 2012

Death Dealer
Jul 25, 2006

theshim posted:

I was comparing off the top of my head to EO3's...but then it occurs to me that EO3 also takes a lot more to level, IIRC, so it evens out.

...checked. Holy crap the disparity. Admittedly things give more XP and there are more ways to get it in EO3, but geez, they ramped up the exp numbers.

(For reference: It takes a little over 19k exp to reach level 50 in EO. In EO3, you'll be just short of level 14. Eep.)

In EO3's favor though, it is REALLY easy to level in spite of the boosted XP requirements thanks to a number of factors that you already mentioned, plus the Farmer.

I know a lot of why I put down EO2 for so long (and still haven't beaten it, unfortunately) is that it becomes a much bigger slog in midgame than it needs to, and I can't place my finger on why because EO1 never had that issue and I've never had it with EO3 either. I can make some general assumptions as to why, but there's no sense in talking about EO2 if there's the faintest possibility that there might be an LP of it in the future. After all, we're not even past the first Strata in EO1 yet.

Death Dealer
Jul 25, 2006

The traditional Bard role then?

Let's face it, they get a really bad reputation thanks to a certain bard in a certain overquoted movie. Well and years of Dungeons and Dragons players going "This guy can't kill worth a drat, why would I ever want to be a fruity bard?"

Poor Alvis just can't science FOEs fast enough, but eventually he'll stop dying so much.

Maybe.

I'm also all for Keyser returning because it means that the elements that a certain Scientist isn't going to learn can still be covered by judicious application of Dragonforce (read: Through the Fire and Flames) and Iced Earth...or something more appropriate, you know, whichever.

Death Dealer fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Jul 6, 2012

Death Dealer
Jul 25, 2006

You know, I'm somewhat happy that FFIV came to mind before Monty Python and "Brave Sir Robin ran away!"

Although yes, the whole spoony bard thing overstayed its welcome too.

I also may be pulling for Keyser because I barely used a Troubadour in my runs and I'm curious what I'm missing.

Death Dealer
Jul 25, 2006

Sacrificial Toast posted:

Real men go without the healer too. :frogc00l:

I'm not about to try it on my very first playthrough of it, but that's probably a LOT more viable in EO3 than the others since you have the Princess and her multiple passive heals. Although I have to say, the Monk does some decent damage on top of decent healing so it's pretty nice to not just have your healer defending when everyone is capped off.

Don't get me wrong, you could always go without a healer, but you basically have to be functionally insane to grind items that heavily or be playing on an emulator with whatever speed up function I suppose.

Death Dealer
Jul 25, 2006

Genocyber posted:

I've not played this game, but doesn't the Rest mechanic only set you back 10 levels, with no other penalties? If so, all that means is that if you level up poorly, you just gotta do some grinding (admittedly I have no idea how hard it is in this game; it's very easy in the second one, at least).

It really isn't that hard once your team is strong enough to wreck FOEs, and as you've seen with the LP you can do that from your first meeting with them technically, grinding the levels back up isn't TOO awful. It's even less so if you have certain abilities on heroes.

Feel free to go into Mechanics and Class chat because some classes seem less useful at a glance, some seem super awesome but are actually not to much, and so forth.

Death Dealer
Jul 25, 2006

ShadeofBlue posted:

So, the other point I wanted to make is that the Medic becomes a physical powerhouse in the late game with the use of the right skills and equipment, so just like the Monk in 3 (and War Magus in 2), you don't ever have to have your healer sitting idly by. I'd start putting the Medic in the front line at around the midgame if you go that route.

One thing that I kind of discovered while replaying EO 1 is that pretty much and class and any "skill path," so to speak, is viable for the main game, and probably through most of the non-boss postgame, as long as you focus on something rather than constantly changing your mind about what you want to do with your characters. The only thing I don't think you can deviate from is having a healer of some sort, with Medic obviously being the only option in the first game.

If you want to play the whole series, I would suggest starting with the first one because if you try to come back to it after the second, and especially after the third, you will find it quite frustrating. There's just a lot of tweaks to the speed of the battle system and functionality of the mapping system. If you don't care about playing all of them, you might as well start with 3, it's definitely more accessible. The fourth one is coming out fairly soon for the 3DS, too.

Oh, I know about the Medic being a physical powerhouse in 1 if you build it that way, but I basically made mine a pure support since I had fairly heavy damage (Protector which isn't so much, Axe Land that used swords once axes couldn't remotely keep pace, Fire/Ice Alch and a Survivalist that had the 3-round shot maxed or near maxed for boss fights and did pretty good damage in general) traveling along with the Medic so having it defend was no big deal to me. Even beat the main meat of the game. Haven't touched the post-game, but I imagine I will someday but I wanted to start EO2 when I finished so I jumped straight to that.

EO2, on the other hand? I think I'm in the 2nd or 3rd stratum, I just need to go fight FOEs more than I do because I know my gear is what is hamstringing me to an extent, along with a short period of constantly swapping characters because of an unlockable class in 2 that I was curious about. 3's going pretty smoothly overall, and definitely seems to have the smoothest difficulty curve of the lot.

Death Dealer
Jul 25, 2006

By all means, go ahead and bring the Fire Alchemist with you for the boss fight. Honestly, if you feel the need to alternate (for some of the rare drops, for instance) go right ahead. I know some of those situational drops can turn a floor from a slog into an utter cakewalk.

Besides, there's always more science to be done in the background! :science:

Death Dealer
Jul 25, 2006

I wouldn't tempt him too much, Keyser's lines might just become EO specific mad libs from famous works.

Okay, nevermind, encourage him. That would be hilarious for an update or two.

Party wise this one is working out fine voice wise and gameplay wise, but if at any point Alvis ends up being a pain in your rear end due to using the "wrong" elements or just gets to be a chore to write, feel free to replace him with our other Alch, or take a walk on the weird side with some of the classes you normally don't run with as often.

Grind for the Grind Gods, Stats for the Stats Throne. :getin:

But seriously, sometimes just zoning out might be nice once Uni starts back up. Read a few chapters of whatever assignment, knock out a level or two, repeat.

Death Dealer
Jul 25, 2006

By all means, steamroll the FOEs to unlock the drops. Consider doing something similar to get your Farmbots up to "Not immediately screwed" for each Stratum as well if that doesn't end up just sounding like tedium. :v:

Granted, I say this as someone that gave gathering skills to everyone, had a Survivor in my team (with all three gathering skills) and never abused Immunize/Defender. So I clearly don't know the proper meaning of the word since other than a few spots I didn't find anything TOO rough. Admittedly, I didn't have nearly as many gather chances as your dedicated farmbots either, but it was still something like 5/5/5 or so which isn't bad when you're also rapidly filling your inventory thanks to the scavenger skill.

Death Dealer
Jul 25, 2006

Feel free to reset Alvis if you feel up to getting him up to speed. I knew how incredibly useful poison was for early stratum but he's a Lightning Alch for all intents and purposes originally. :v:

Although to prevent that Warp Wire issue, I would not complain if you put a point into Warp. Hell, I did that when I played because it made my farm trips a bit more "profitable" with the extra inventory space. I also tended to be more conservative with my TP early in the games but just goes to show the way different people play these games. In EO3 I'm considerably less conservative, admittedly, but not in the original by a long shot.

Death Dealer
Jul 25, 2006

I think when I went through EO1 I never worried about much defense on my back line and just loaded the Medic and Alchemist up with +TP/+Tec items. My Survivalist, on the other hand, got a lot of the +Agi defensive items because I had a tendency to use the first round to have it either set up the 3-turn shot if it was a FOE or throw out the Survivalist buffs/debuffs depending on how concerned I was about the fight.

In EO3? My Monk is a front line person, so that +TP/+Tec focus is tempered by not wanting my healer to be taken out in one lucky hit. :v:

I'm not sure I ever actually fully explored behind the crystal doors, but I'm reasonably certain I did that with the B1-5 doors for reasons.

Those reasons probably just being "Oh yeah, I do have the key for these don't I?" and "Treasure is pretty cool."

Death Dealer
Jul 25, 2006

Nothing wrong with liking damage! A lot of me ranting about skills not being very good is just my opinion - for the TP cost and such, it's not too bad to think of most of those moves as just a straight damage boost that sometimes causes status effects as opposed to a status-effect move that causes a little damage (and barely ever works when you need it to)

Out of interest, do you remember what the damage from Viper's poison was like? Or at least, whether it was static the way an Alchemist's was, or changed based on the damage your DH does or something, I can't seem to find anything that says either way.

E. Also, Thanks Dr Pepper! That was quick.

Double e. Actually, now that I think about something, this is probably a bit late to ask, considering there're only two more slots that are going to open, (unless I delete some of the farmbots, which is plausible - I'm only really using two.) but I was wondering - is the way I'm handling character registration fair? IE, the whole 'first come first served' thing, or in future, should I do things a bit differently? (Also, any opinions on whether or not I should delete some farmbots to free up space? I'm starting to find grinding oddly relaxing, apart from when we get murdered by sloths/foliage, so I wouldn't be opposed to making a few extra characters, if people would like that.

Whew, I think I'm out of questions now. Sorry I ask so many! I have a lot of fun making this, and want to make sure everyone else enjoys as much as I do. :v:

First come first serve works for this since it's a relatively low traffic thread (at least by active posters) and it keeps the momentum rolling pretty well.

If you plan to show off the other two classes (and perhaps learn something new about them) I'd ditch two farmbots so you can show them off and explain why you dislike them/like them now that you've given them another shot or whatever.

Death Dealer
Jul 25, 2006

I'd rather not. :stonk:

On a more serious note, yeah, it took ages - wasn't helped by the fact that it gets really repetitive walking down the same corridor over and over again, fighting the same fights, so I had to take breaks now and then to maintain my will to live. :v:

To be fair, I think just about anyone that has ever played the game has had to take breaks during that quest. I think I just listened to podcasts during it so I didn't mind it as badly, but I'm almost positive I went through at least two hour long podcasts before I was through with it.

Death Dealer
Jul 25, 2006

goldjas posted:

Apollon is pretty darn good because it takes your turn, but you can also attack or what not during the turn the arrows are in the air if i remember correctly.

You certainly remember correctly. So you can pop Apollon, get some other damage in while the arrows are up in the air, and then a pretty healthy chunk of damage when the arrows come down.

Plus I basically picture it like firing a volley of arrows into the air that come down in a sheet and that's a neat mental image even if it isn't ACTUALLY meant to be like that.

Death Dealer
Jul 25, 2006

I'm obviously biased towards Alvis being there for the boss fight, but outside of that? The way the different squads keep playing off of each other is pretty amusing, and if you wanted to do something a little different you could always do Hector, Dietrich, Jill, Alvis and Serasmus one go of it so that elemental weakness is never a problem. Though TP would be a major one obviously.

The other alternative would be the Hector/Dietrich/Richter/Jill/Alex show, just to show off how much of a pain in the rear end not having elemental damage can be in the long term.

On the other hand, extra suffering is just dickish. :v:

Edit: Although the caveat with having Richter along either way is that you have the instant kill chance for a few of the conditional drops, but as I recall you were taking care of that behind the scenes anyway.

(There was some information based on an incorrect reading of a sentence here, it is gone now.)

Death Dealer fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Oct 21, 2012

Death Dealer
Jul 25, 2006

Honestly? I don't entirely remember, I just know they're a thing. I never ran a Dark Hunter past 5 or so, so I never really discovered those on my own. It's good to see that you've discovered how good Survivalists can be outside of the farmbot role though, maybe your mind will end up changed on one (or both) of the other classes later on too.

Death Dealer
Jul 25, 2006

First of all, awesome, Rangpur! And second, apologies again for things taking so long - I'm actually working on an update at the moment, and wound up musing on something.

Screenshots don't always get the feel of longer/tougher battles across too well, but I couldn't really do characterization in videos, so I wasn't sure which would be better. I stuck with screenshots up 'til now, as quite a few people said they were reading this for the characterization, but I was thinking - would anyone be particularly interested in me recording some battles using Desmume's built in video recorder and uploading them to Youtube or something? It'd probably give a better feel of how battles go, and I could do something a little like Slowbeef's Policenauts LP, showing the video then doing a cliff-notes version with commentated screenshots, so it'd still have the screenshot rendition of the fight, in its usual format, but also a video to give a better idea of how it went.

It's not too much work to do, I think, but I wanted to make sure people would be interested before I went ahead with it!

Not for every battle, obviously, mostly things like FOEs, bosses, that kind of thing.

If the built in recorder has good quality and you're comfortable doing it, by all means throw a video in for first time FOEs and the bosses. Depending on how much video editing you wanted to do, you could always do the played out comedy option of speeding up the video and draping Yakkety Sax over it if it was a particularly ridiculous fight.

Don't do that last part though. :v:

Death Dealer
Jul 25, 2006

I'm glad to see this back, and I can relate with the metric ton of coursework hitting you like a ton of bricks. I'm staring down that situation too. :v:

As far as videos go, I'd probably stick to either the first time you run into a particular F.O.E., though with Immunize/Defender that's less tense than it is for first timers, and for bosses since the music is pretty kickass. With some fights I could understand being hesitant to do that due to length, but there's one boss you should definitely record even if we're ages away from it.

Death Dealer
Jul 25, 2006

It's good to see this back again, even if Alvis is still doing science behind the scenes. I don't think my fight against Cernunnos was quite as smooth as yours, especially since I didn't use Immunize in my run, but I seem to remember getting him down on my first try at least. It wouldn't hurt to show the true way that fight goes as a bonus feature later on since I'm sure you'll want the conditional drop anyway, but I wouldn't sweat it too hard for the time being. After all, new stratum means new hateful creatures to introduce yourself to. :v:

Death Dealer
Jul 25, 2006

I'm obviously more than a little biased, but go with Alvis, Dietrich and Hector. You still get solid elemental :science:, another powerhouse and your meatshield.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Death Dealer
Jul 25, 2006

It goes against the grain of audience participation, but I wouldn't mind if you made the Hexer to your liking since it's the last class we'll be seeing this game. It fits as a nice capstone of sorts, but barring that I'm going to have to vote for Koenig because even though hipsters are a little played out at this point, the idea of a hipster Hexer amuses me.

• Locked thread