Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

Disgruntled (IT) Employee
Slightly off topic, is it worth hunting down a copy of Etrian Odyssey 2? I found a copy of 3, I'm just not sure whether I'm up for personally playing all three games of the series unless there is something especially worth not missing about EO2. Is it like Rune Factory (Go Straight to 3)?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

Disgruntled (IT) Employee
I want to enjoy this type of game, but the accessibility (not difficulty) is a huge factor. Every time I look at the skill numbers in one of these character breakdowns, I roll my eyes. In game, you're so blind as to the returns, and most importantly, the game is so inconsistent as to what you actually get out of it.

I don't WANT to play this type of game with a FAQ up all the time. I don't mind consulting one to plan out things (and EO3 has that character builder), and I don't mind going without a plan and screwing up. I suppose I should try not distributing skill points till I've saved in town so I can try and reload if I don't like it. It's just that the skill system keeps distancing me from the actual game. I don't even mind being blind to the specifics as long as I have the feeling of some kind of consistency in returns on investing in a skill.

I'm actually trying to get in the proper mindset to play through EO1, because I feel I'm approaching it from the wrong mindset more than any real issue with it. That said, the skill sim for EO3 is a huge, huge part of why I was willing to pick up a copy, despite never finishing EO1.

LordSloth fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Sep 11, 2012

• Locked thread