Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

Glad to see this back. Your LP convinced me to go back to the second game (seeing as I don't own the this one), after my last attempt burned out around floor 3. The stuff I learned from your LP helped a lot. Especially the bit about using Survivalists to generate funds.

Comparing the two, it's fun to see how Atlus kept track of the popular methods for flattening the game's difficulty curve... And went out of their way to remove that stuff. Alchemists don't get poison, FOEs don't give EXP, gathering points have a chance of generating a supremely nasty ambush, no Immunize skill... Oh Atlus. Is there any company more spiteful to its customers than you?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

theshim posted:

Hexers get poison now though. And Alchemists aren't very good in EO2; Gunners are better for elemental damage and Hexers can poison and other stuff too.
I haven't been impressed with poison so far. It just doesn't stick often enough for me to plan a strategy around it. Probably just the RNG loving with me, but it was frustrating enough in the early game that my Hexer is way behind in levels. I have to agree about Alchemists though. Might just power-level mine up to 30, and retire him in favor of a 2nd Survivalist with maxed out gather skills. Or even just a more focused skill set. I can see how to squeeze the most use out of them, but it's such a pain in terms of grinding, and equipment that I wonder if it's worth the bother.

Maybe for the postgame content.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

100percentjesusfree posted:

E. Survivalist was snapped up by Dr Pepper!

There will still be 2 more chances to make characters, sooner or later!
Nuts. Beat me to it. I can't say I ever got much damage out of Survivalists, but their passives are great for exploration. A couple of their high end, non-weapon skills will completely neuter random encounters when paired with certain other classes.

I agree there's little point in playing the first two games if the third is available. The EO series has markedly improved with each installment. By all accounts the fourth game on the 3DS continues the trend, which is why I'm super annoyed Atlus hasn't announced it for the US by now. It's not as though they're plot-heavy games either. (Although I have some thoughts on the evolution of EO's metaplot... none of which I can discuss because it would spoil all 3 games. :smith: )

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

I was never able to squeeze any significant damage out of Survivalists in EOII, even at level 70+. Maybe they nerfed the bow skills? They'd be the only physical class that got weaker in that case. I got away with ignoring the magic-attacker classes until the 3rd Strata, and did just fine.

Personally, I think that the weird progression of skills like Apollon implies how the developers meant you to use the 'Rest' system. It's not exclusively, or even primarily for 'fixing' a character. It's there so you can make the best use of skills that are heavily front- or back-loaded over the course of the game.

You can probably beat the main game without ever using it, but once you've reached a high enough level, the ability to max out a bunch of skills at once--even accounting for the level loss--can make otherwise difficult parts a breeze.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

Huh. So THAT'S what elephants in Dwarf Fortress look like. Armoths end up looking more menacing with every EO game, too. I shudder to think how they'll look in motion for number 4. Would it be considered spoiler territory to discuss which monsters got demoted to normal status for the sequels, and which ones got elevated to FOEs?

I'm most interested in seeing Alex, Richter, and Keyser in action, primarily because it looks like their classes changed the most in the sequel. Makes me curious to see how it effects battle strategy, especially when it comes to FOEs and floor bosses. That said, I also want to see you finish this strata so I'll cast my remaining votes for Hector and Jill.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

I was going to do that write-up, but it kept getting long and longer, and eventually I just said 'gently caress it.' So have a megathread instead.

I figured now that the 4th game has been announced for US release, we were due. There aren't any spoilers for this game in the OP (unless you have a remarkably broad definition of 'spoiler;' did you know there are more than 10 floors in this dunegon?) but I can't vouch for anyone else who posts there. Those of you who have played the game already might enjoy it though!

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

Brief mechanics question: can FOEs still ambush you in the first game if you run into them head-on? In the latter games I've lost more than a few parties specced to beat specific types when they got the drop on me somehow, and wiped out the strategic linchpin in the first round.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

Put it off until you have B8F fully mapped, and all the shortcuts opened. It gives you more map squares to wander around, which makes it less boring. Having a Survivalist/Troubadour/Protector with Stalker maxed out will help too, although it's a waste of points otherwise. (I handled this by training up one of my farmbots.)

But ultimately you'll get sick of it anyway because it's a dumb, badly designed quest, so just walk back and forth in the healing spring room since there are no random encounters there. Put on a movie or something in the meantime.

I like to think this one stupid quest is the reason they added quick-save to EOII.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

Not quite--there are a handful of new FOEs and random encounters scattered throughout the main labyrinth as well. (And I guess the enemies not present in EOIV have 3D models, now.) I couldn't go back to the first game after playing the 3 successive titles that improved on it, so I finally caved and bought Untold.

Between Expert difficulty, and limiting myself to the storyline characters, it's sufficiently different that catching up to this LP wasn't too bad a slog. Pity we're not likely to see a new one until PersonaQ is finished. Or a remake of EOII, whichever.

• Locked thread