Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sacrificial Toast
Nov 5, 2009

Furthermore, in EO3, where they replaced all the classes with new ones, there's a Farmer class. They're largely useless in actual combat (though they have a few utility skills), but they have a Harvestry skill that gives gather points in all 3 categories, as well as skills like Safe Stroll (ZERO encounter rate) or To Market (teleport to town, an item does this but hey skills are free).

Unfortunately EO3 also introduced rare gather materials, where you have to choose whether to keep gathering to get pricier and rarer stuff, but also have a chance to get in a fight, which can be very bad for your team of hapless gather drones. Though this can also be circumvented with another Farmer skill that gives your normal gathers a chance to find rare stuff too, without the risk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sacrificial Toast
Nov 5, 2009

The Dark Hunter has a pretty cool ability called Climax, which causes 100% instant death against non-immune targets if they're below 40% life (higher in EO2). It makes some battles quite a bit shorter.

E: Oh, that's right. It also drains all the damage done to the DH, basically a guaranteed full heal.

Sacrificial Toast fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Jun 27, 2012

Sacrificial Toast
Nov 5, 2009

I never really invested much in the stat boosting skills in EO, except for a single rank in TP/HP Up. One thing consistent through the series is that the first rank of these skills gives a flat 10% bonus, but the rest of the skill is something like 30-40% spread evenly across the remaining 9 points. So while one point is a strong investment, the rest are pretty inefficient.

Sacrificial Toast
Nov 5, 2009

Real men go without the healer too. :frogc00l:

Sacrificial Toast
Nov 5, 2009

I really enjoyed the music in the 4th stratum of EO3 myself(though the 3rd's is the one that always gets stuck in my head), so I didn't mind it much. That is the one point in the game where I had to grind in order to beat the boss though.

Sacrificial Toast fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Jul 12, 2012

Sacrificial Toast
Nov 5, 2009

Nah, I like the games but I dislike grinding. So I stick with my core 5 members and some farmbots, and never really bother with any resting or retiring unless I really botch a character build up.

There really isn't much need for grinding contrary to popular opinion. I think there was only 1 boss in EO3 that gave me enough trouble that I went for a few extra levels.

Sacrificial Toast
Nov 5, 2009

Consider this is probably 5 or 6 hours into the game at least, and now we're fighting the first boss. There's quite a bit of build up to these things that makes them feel like real events.

Fenrir is a really good first boss too. He's pretty tough, and tests not only your survivability, but your damage output. That's one thing that's a bit unfortunate for those starting with 3 I think, the first boss in that game is pretty meh, even though the EO3 Boss music is amazing.

Sacrificial Toast
Nov 5, 2009

100percentjesusfree posted:

9/10 times, my buff setup in a tough fight is Defender, Immunize and Relaxing.
Well I hope you're not gonna just abuse Defender/Immunize for the entire game, because as broken as it is, it's really not very exciting.

Sacrificial Toast
Nov 5, 2009

Yeah, given you almost killed him before the Skolls even reached you, I don't think doing it without Immunize would make a huge difference. Just keep trucking.

It is worth noting though, that given the size of their sprites, only 2 of the Skolls can actually join in at any given time with Fenrir. Since the ones not in the fight despawn when Fenrir dies, actually focusing on killing the things once they've reached you is an even worse idea than you might think otherwise.

Sacrificial Toast fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Aug 17, 2012

Sacrificial Toast
Nov 5, 2009

You're welcome. :c00lbert:

A few mechanical things--I believe tech elements are set and unaffected by weapon element, so Allslash is always going to be 100% slashing damage, but don't quote me on that.

As far as getting the first strike though, that's because you came in from floor 6. If you approach a boss or FOE from behind, you always get initiative. The same is probably true for you, but why would you ever do that?

Sacrificial Toast
Nov 5, 2009

Eh, you can do whatever you want, but if I'm not mistaken, there's a sidequest coming up pretty soon that should put your main crew ahead of the leveling curve for most of the game. I don't recall having much trouble with FOEs beyond that point in the first game.

Sacrificial Toast
Nov 5, 2009

100percentjesusfree posted:

In this game, at least, you can go to the Explorer's Guild, and choose any character who is level 30+ and have them Rest. Resting costs 10 levels that you'll have to grind back up, but gives them all of their skill points back. I'm fairly sure that this, at least, is constant across all the games in the series, though I try to avoid overusing it because getting ten levels back takes time.

You can also Retire characters, again once they're 30+ (I think?), which permanently removes that character, but you immediately hire a new level 1 character with enhanced stats, based on the character you retired, and a few extra skill points based on the level of whoever you just retired. I think retiring at 30 gives 1 extra skill point, and every 10 or so levels after that gives 1 extra, giving up to 6 extra skill points if you rebirth a level 70 character.

e.g. you could retire a level 70 Alchemist, and the new recruit could be any class and would have +3 Tec and +6 starting skill points. The boosted stat is based off the class you retired.

I actually never bothered with retiring all that much - if you want to make a team that's as strong as possible, it's useful, but it'll also mean you'll have to spend ages grinding a newbie back up. Besides, if I did it in this LP, we'd be losing characters went to the trouble of making, and that'd be terrible!

I might also not be entirely right on retiring, as I said, I didn't really use it. Anyone want to chime in and correct me if I'm wrong somewhere?

(Also, working on an update, and still amused by my own stupidity. Did something rather dumb due to being forgetful.)

Well, a few things. Resting does cost 10 levels in Etrian 1, but in the later games, it only costs 5, which isn't nearly as bad.

Retiring gives additional skill points, and also gives bonuses to all stats depending on the range of levels at which you retire. The new character (who can be any class by the way) doesn't start at 1, but half the old character's level. It also increases the level cap, which starts at 70. In Etrian 1, each time you retire a character raises it by a paltry single level, but I believe in later games retiring a character at 70 raises it to the maximum 99.

Also, I'd still never do it because gently caress all that grinding poo poo.

Sacrificial Toast
Nov 5, 2009

Aw, and here I was expecting you to keep going and find something fun up there.

Sacrificial Toast
Nov 5, 2009

I might as well mention this here. Etrian Odyssey 4 has just been confirmed for release in the US in early 2013. It's the first in the series to be on the 3DS and features 3D models for enemies for the first time as well as an airship to fly around.

https://www.atlus.com/etrian4/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sacrificial Toast
Nov 5, 2009

The only leveling tip I'd add would be to remove unnecessary party members from the group. The less you have in, the more experience the remaining ones will get.

• Locked thread