Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shabadu
Jul 18, 2003

rain dance

I like that the game taught me it's rules brutally and swiftly. Namely, this game will punch you in the face if you let it. Play as conservatively as possible when entering unknown territory. This will only get more reinforced when we get introduced to some new... mechanics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shabadu
Jul 18, 2003

rain dance

FOEs are at their most dangerous when you have no idea what they can do. After the first couple encounters, you get an idea of how they move about the map, but encountering new ones can still be dangerous, especially when they can confuse your entire party or poison all of you or bind your legs...

Shabadu
Jul 18, 2003

rain dance

I'm not sure if the first one has the same mantis type as the second and third, but it was always a prime target for me to take out. Makes your Ronin so amazing for a good while.

Shabadu
Jul 18, 2003

rain dance

It's so ingrained in my head at this point that you Need a Tank/Healer/X/X/X after doing postgame content for EO2 and 3 that I can't even fathom running without their equivalents. I'm still mostly in the dark about how viable it would be to skip a protector or medic in the first game though. Maybe an update where you get horribly murdered or a fantastically successful without either or both would be worthwhile.

Shabadu
Jul 18, 2003

rain dance

Genocyber posted:

I've not played this game, but doesn't the Rest mechanic only set you back 10 levels, with no other penalties? If so, all that means is that if you level up poorly, you just gotta do some grinding (admittedly I have no idea how hard it is in this game; it's very easy in the second one, at least).

Another reason to just go to the 3rd game, respeccing is only 5 levels in that. Plus bench characters are actually progressing as your main team does.

I'd love to see your planned builds for level ups, it's hard to know in the early levels what order you should be going for in order to get to what you think might be your goal.

Shabadu
Jul 18, 2003

rain dance

The same thing applies for EO3. The first boss's conditional is one that can be completed fairly early, level 30 or so, with a correctly built character. It gets you the second best club in the game. The best comes from a conditional drop from a post game boss. Conditional drops, especially from bosses, almost always unlock superior gear to what you can get from grinding normal drops.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shabadu
Jul 18, 2003

rain dance

Ronin are kinda lackluster in this game. They ... overcompensated a bit for that in EO2.

However, Midareba is fantastic damage and one of my favorite single target damage dealers.

• Locked thread