Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Washin Tong
Feb 16, 2011

Rocketlex posted:

I don't know why Ed made The Bloat so much harder than any of the other bosses on that level. Honestly, he wouldn't be that bad at all if he telegraphed his laser attack more clearly. He has the same problem as Krampus where his laser attack gives you an unreasonably short amount of time to react.

At least Krampus screams loudly right before firing and you can just react to that, with Bloat you just can't stand in front of him or to the side because you're hosed.

Of course, once you know that he's not so bad, he just gets annoying when he's near the top wall and you have to angle your shots.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

Rocketlex posted:

I don't know why Ed made The Bloat so much harder than any of the other bosses on that level. Honestly, he wouldn't be that bad at all if he telegraphed his laser attack more clearly. He has the same problem as Krampus where his laser attack gives you an unreasonably short amount of time to react.

Krampus's firing animation is significantly slower than the Bloat's though. If you're sharp you can bait it and dodge. You can't really do that with Bloat unless you have maxed Speed or something - at which point you run into issues with overrunning stuff because of the stupid stupid sliding/inertia thing. He just fires nigh instantly.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Krampus also has a visual cue, his face kinda distorts, with bloat its just instant, if you come in on from the left, right or bottom when entering the room, you'll get hit instantly with no time to react.

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

Alteisen posted:

Krampus also has a visual cue, his face kinda distorts, with bloat its just instant, if you come in on from the left, right or bottom when entering the room, you'll get hit instantly with no time to react.

That's where the "OH GOD gently caress EVERYTHING WHY" part came from, yeah.

For the record, I ended up losing that run because I got too greedy with Guppy's Paw and too gutsy with We Have To Go Deeper.

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown
I never use We Have to go Deeper. Ever. I just don't want to risk missing super awesome boss loot.

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

Rocketlex posted:

I never use We Have to go Deeper. Ever. I just don't want to risk missing super awesome boss loot.

It was a challenge, I just wanted it to be over as soon as possible :v:

Which brings up the question: If the end of a challenge is, say, Mom or Mom's Heart, can you use the Shovel to bypass her and end it or does it just break the whole thing?

Smite
Jul 5, 2007

...and then he eats the body, but they always cut out the spoon scene.

Color Printer posted:

It was a challenge, I just wanted it to be over as soon as possible :v:

Which brings up the question: If the end of a challenge is, say, Mom or Mom's Heart, can you use the Shovel to bypass her and end it or does it just break the whole thing?

For the achievements, you can use the shovel to skip the first half of the womb but not mom's heart. I imagine it's the same way with the challenges.

Torsade de Pointes
Feb 14, 2006

Oh, yeah. I name all the operations that go down in Taipei, even the ones that aren't mine. Operation Latex Turtle, Operation Angry Bees, Operation AAAAAHHHH-YOOOOOOOW! Heh. That was a good one.
I wonder if you use the shovel on an XL level, do you automatically get the respective no damage achievement? :v:

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.

Torsade de Pointes posted:

I wonder if you use the shovel on an XL level, do you automatically get the respective no damage achievement? :v:

No, because those achievements depend on killing the 2nd floor boss to unlock them so skipping both bosses would negate the challenge.

Xaiter
Dec 16, 2007

Everything is AWESOME!

Crotch Bat posted:

No, because those achievements depend on killing the 2nd floor boss to unlock them so skipping both bosses would negate the challenge.

Flip side, you can use the shovel to skip Basement 1 / Caves 1 / Depths 1 / Womb 1, then pop an Emperor card on the second floor. Kill the boss without getting hit, there's your achievement.

EDIT: Oh hey maybe a livestream over here later at 9 PM PDT.

Xaiter fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Jun 23, 2012

Roberto_Silencio
Mar 9, 2004

lets start advertising and make us some real money

SporkTSI posted:

I guess I missed goatse on my many playthroughs, could someone post a screenshot?

Color Printer posted:

Supposedly that's Gluttony, or those little headless Glutton...ies.

I don't know, those always looked like walking, blood spewing vaginas to me. :gonk:

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

No, it's okay, game, I love those little chub-firing gluttons. I'm very thankful you took that into consideration and gave me three consecutive rooms in the Catacombs filled with those guys. I was filled with glee when I finally died (because I didn't have to worry about them anymore seriously what the hell).

I don't know why, but I consider those guys to be worse than the ones that fire the blood streams.

EDIT: I clear a room in the Cellar with one heart left and a Mega Troll Bomb drops. Really? What did I do so bad to piss off the RNG, holy poo poo?

And yet I keep playing anyways :negative:

Color Printer fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Jun 23, 2012

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Oh god what is happening I am not good with computers

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Despite getting Bloat and two Super Lusts in an empty room in my first three chest rooms and having to beat literally every enemy inside the chest to find the boss door, I beat the chest with Cain in the first attempt I found the polaroid on since the update.

Two things:
- If anyone's run into the item they unlocked after beating ??? with Cain, what was it? I know it should be his eye, but I also know those unlocks are kinda bugged right now. Cycling through my achievements didn't turn up any of them, but I went from 79 to 80 secrets unlocked.
- Does anyone know exactly how The Nail changed? It acted like a Book of Revelations for me when I got it in a devil room, but I don't know if picking it up kept any passive effects.

E: Going for the second chest run (Eve this time) I found a golden pile of poop, and after shooting it down a counterfeit penny dropped. This is definitely new to me.

Power of Pecota fucked around with this message at 06:16 on Jun 23, 2012

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

For those curious your bullets can get pretty big in this game. Here's a run I had vs the final final boss!

Don't worry, the image spoiler tags itself :v:!

Not the bottom left corner. :pwn:

I have to finish this, that made me extremely curious. :v:

Incidently, is it still possible to fight Triachnid?

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Anatharon posted:

Not the bottom left corner. :pwn:

I have to finish this, that made me extremely curious. :v:

Incidently, is it still possible to fight Triachnid?

Yeah, he's a unlockable boss for completing a endgame level 15 times. I just fought him in the womb/utero.

Torsade de Pointes
Feb 14, 2006

Oh, yeah. I name all the operations that go down in Taipei, even the ones that aren't mine. Operation Latex Turtle, Operation Angry Bees, Operation AAAAAHHHH-YOOOOOOOW! Heh. That was a good one.

Power of Pecota posted:

- Does anyone know exactly how The Nail changed? It acted like a Book of Revelations for me when I got it in a devil room, but I don't know if picking it up kept any passive effects.

I don't remember it being changed. It works like the Book of Revelations with a couple additions. You gain 1 damage, lose 1 speed, and can break rocks by walking over them for the duration of the room you are in when you activate it. It doesn't confer any permanent stat boosts. At least, I think that's how it used to be too.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.

Power of Pecota posted:

Despite getting Bloat and two Super Lusts in an empty room in my first three chest rooms and having to beat literally every enemy inside the chest to find the boss door, I beat the chest with Cain in the first attempt I found the polaroid on since the update.

Two things:
- If anyone's run into the item they unlocked after beating ??? with Cain, what was it? I know it should be his eye, but I also know those unlocks are kinda bugged right now. Cycling through my achievements didn't turn up any of them, but I went from 79 to 80 secrets unlocked.

E: Going for the second chest run (Eve this time) I found a golden pile of poop, and after shooting it down a counterfeit penny dropped. This is definitely new to me.

The unlocks are messed up. I know that Isaac, Maggy and I think Samson are normal but I believe the other 4 unlock a different secret than it should. As long as you get all 7 you'll have everything you need.

And golden poop does that stuff, yea. Oddly enough I saw it like 3 times in 1 run before the 1.333 patch and that's been it for me. I've never seen it since in any run.

wajack
Nov 5, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Brimstone's still busted. It fires now, but if you press to charge again while it's firing (which, if you've ever used it before you will) it interrupts the beam. Much harder to use, fucks you up constantly. Just completely destroyed a random Eve run I had.

Hilariously, before that on an Eve run, I died in the caves with the Ankh, then proceed to get the Nail, the Battery, the Habit and the Polaroid. Because I was originally Eve I had Whore of Babylon on constantly, and I completely steamrolled the Chest. I've never, ever, ever gotten a combo like that with ??? ever. And now I never have to play as him again. :smug:

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Color Printer posted:

No, it's okay, game, I love those little chub-firing gluttons. I'm very thankful you took that into consideration and gave me three consecutive rooms in the Catacombs filled with those guys. I was filled with glee when I finally died (because I didn't have to worry about them anymore seriously what the hell).

I don't know why, but I consider those guys to be worse than the ones that fire the blood streams.

I know why. There's a hard limit to how many objects the human brain can track at the same time. With a room full of Chub Goatses that limit is exceeded, and it literally becomes impossible to cope.

It also takes longer for the Chubs to go back up their arses than the blood streams last, so they restrict your movement for longer.

whats for dinner
Sep 25, 2006

IT TURN OUT METAL FOR DINNER!

Is anyone else noticing a lot of repeat rooms? I just had a promising Maggy playthrough destroyed in the catacombs because I got a room with six of the chub-shooting vis and a huge plus-formation of rocks in the middle keeping me from moving diagonally. And then I got that same room another three times. Why do you hate me so much, RNG?

gay devil
Aug 20, 2009

cruelangeleo7 posted:

Is anyone else noticing a lot of repeat rooms? I just had a promising Maggy playthrough destroyed in the catacombs because I got a room with six of the chub-shooting vis and a huge plus-formation of rocks in the middle keeping me from moving diagonally. And then I got that same room another three times. Why do you hate me so much, RNG?

Yeah I've been seeing it happen a lot more since the last patch, it used to be a rarity.

Psychedelic Eyeball
Jan 10, 2006

Like it or not, we will build you a new civilization.

Color Printer posted:

They also deal a full heart of damage when they hit you with their Chub projectiles, as opposed to half a heart for the Brimstone lasers. They also seem to take much more damage for some reason, too. Maybe it's because you usually meet them in the Catacombs and your character usually isn't as strong at this point of the game.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Ugh, I'm starting to hate the game. In all my good runs I never manage to find the polaroid anymore and Fortune telling machines blow up a lot more it seems without dropping any trinkets.

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

Things I just discovered:

1: Horseman heads are really hard to hit with the Epic Fetus because they love to charge around.

2: It is really hard to escape from a room that has two loving Widows hopping around.

3: The game likes to spawn Horseman heads and Widows in Cathedral.

4: gently caress EVERYTHING

Color Printer fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Jun 23, 2012

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Roberto_Silencio posted:

I don't know, those always looked like walking, blood spewing vaginas to me. :gonk:

I have to agree with this. I mean, it kind of works with a menstruation visual, which would fit right in with the game's theme.

It doesn't help that the stump where their heads should be only adds to the similarity.

(At the same time, the way they pull themselves open to spew out the laser is incredeibly reminiscent of the Goatse grab.)

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Sitting here at the car shop bored to death, I wonder why the hell this isn't on the ipad or something yet. Seems like it'd be a brilliant fit :(

Torsade de Pointes
Feb 14, 2006

Ciaphas posted:

Sitting here at the car shop bored to death, I wonder why the hell this isn't on the ipad or something yet. Seems like it'd be a brilliant fit :(

They were gonna port it to the 3DS, but it fell through. Nintendo objected to it because of "religious" content. :v:

Deacon of Delicious
Aug 20, 2007

I bet the twist ending is Dracula's dick-babies

Color Printer posted:

Things I just discovered:

4: gently caress EVERYTHING

I think this has been in the game from the very beginning.

oldgoatmon
Jul 4, 2004

Ohhh Bitch, You Got Jacked Bitch

Ciaphas posted:

It's in flash. Even apple supported it properly it takes unnecessary computing power.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Is that dead cat anything other than a drawn-out death sentence if you're not otherwise invulnerable? I got all the way to Mom with it after opening a gold chest in a corner and having it thrust upon me, but no soul hearts means no chance.

I got to skip three item rooms that run, and it would have been four had I not picked up Mark Of The Vampire for the hairdo :downsclap:

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010
Looks like the invulnerability bug is rearing its beautiful head for me again. Thanks for the Maggy win!

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

Color Printer posted:

1: Horseman heads are really hard to hit with the Epic Fetus because they love to charge around.

Their charge tends to follow a pattern, usually something like Middle, Top, Bottom. Notice the pattern, and then just aim the bomb a second or two before they start the run on that row.

limited
Dec 10, 2005
Limited Sanity

Xaiter posted:

Flip side, you can use the shovel to skip Basement 1 / Caves 1 / Depths 1 / Womb 1, then pop an Emperor card on the second floor. Kill the boss without getting hit, there's your achievement.

EDIT: Oh hey maybe a livestream over here later at 9 PM PDT.

I used it on my third play through on womb 2 out of curiosity to see what would happen.

It put me straight into Sheol even though I hadn't unlocked it yet. :stare:

The RNG hates me so bad still. When I'm playing legit my runs are always terrible and nothing drops ever, and when I use the CE to give myself infinite health I'm suddenly overflowing with coins, keys and bombs. :argh:

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

limited posted:

I used it on my third play through on womb 2 out of curiosity to see what would happen.

It put me straight into Sheol even though I hadn't unlocked it yet. :stare:

The RNG hates me so bad still. When I'm playing legit my runs are always terrible and nothing drops ever, and when I use the CE to give myself infinite health I'm suddenly overflowing with coins, keys and bombs. :argh:

You can get to Sheol without "unlocking" it, you just have to get lucky and have a devil room spawn on Womb 2 with the same odds as it showing up on any other floor. After 10 mom deaths it's guaranteed to appear there though

edit: Not really sure when the Cathedral entrance starts spawning but I'm pretty sure it's impossible to get there before 10 mom deaths and after that point it's... maybe guaranteed? Again, unsure

goferchan fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Jun 23, 2012

Zokari
Jul 23, 2007

Am I the only one that thinks Isaac (and presumably ???) are simply too powerful? I just lost yet another character to Isaac that would have absolutely steamrolled Satan. It feels like you need a really specific setup to beat him. I think he could really do with, at the very least, less health.

James Totes
Feb 17, 2011
They're both really easy though? The difficulty comes from the rooms before it.

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010
It really hinges on your damage output. If you have extremely fast, low damage shots then you're going to lose because of how long it's going to take to kill him with constant counter tears from him.

redmercer
Sep 15, 2011

by Fistgrrl

Raptor1033 posted:

It really hinges on your damage output. If you have extremely fast, low damage shots then you're going to lose because of how long it's going to take to kill him with constant counter tears from him.

By the same token, my last successful run was The Purist. Picked up Epic Fetus on Basement 1; and from there it seemed like I got nothing but the map, compass, and a full rack of hearts. Got the Polaroid without even trying and left the chest with a Full Health pill in tow. Always nice to unlock three things in one go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Oh, it's so fun playing Eve against Mom after getting no damage or tears upgrades and absolutely no special items to make up for it.

• Locked thread