Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Remove Dredd's helmet and this is a generic action movie. That's really not a good thing. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
I suppose one problem is that the Stallone film burned through some of the more iconic and 'straightforward' Dredd villains (Rico, the Angel Gang) and the Dark Judges are too extreme and weird to use in an introductory movie. The alternatives are people like Chopper (not technically a villain, just a rebellious kid), PJ Maybe (a 13-year-old serial killer who literally got away with murder until he was old enough for Dredd to beat the poo poo out of him with impunity), Judge Cal (who needs the horrible nature of Dredd's world to be set up before you see that his insane alternative is even worse), Orlok (who needs the political situation between the western and eastern Mega-Cities to be established) or America Jara (who shows up Dredd as a flat-out fascist monster).

So that leaves you with one-off weirdos like Call-Me-Kenneth, Dobey Queeg, Captain Skank, Father Earth and Barry Dreery (although I'd love to see 'The Game Show Show' done as a movie :haw: ), or doing a huge and insanely expensive epic like The Cursed Earth, The Judge Child or Block Mania/The Apocalypse War. I guess if you've only got a $40m budget, keeping it in one location with a new villain who fits it is about all you can do.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Xenomrph posted:

Remove Dredd's helmet and this is a generic action movie. That's really not a good thing. :(

Yeah but capturing the the acidic satirical natural of the series would be much more challenging than going the interesting setting for a action movie route.

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

And when you stare long into the abyss, you become aggressively, terminally chill

Payndz posted:

I suppose one problem is that the Stallone film burned through some of the more iconic and 'straightforward' Dredd villains (Rico, the Angel Gang) and the Dark Judges are too extreme and weird to use in an introductory movie. The alternatives are people like Chopper (not technically a villain, just a rebellious kid), PJ Maybe (a 13-year-old serial killer who literally got away with murder until he was old enough for Dredd to beat the poo poo out of him with impunity), Judge Cal (who needs the horrible nature of Dredd's world to be set up before you see that his insane alternative is even worse), Orlok (who needs the political situation between the western and eastern Mega-Cities to be established) or America Jara (who shows up Dredd as a flat-out fascist monster).

So that leaves you with one-off weirdos like Call-Me-Kenneth, Dobey Queeg, Captain Skank, Father Earth and Barry Dreery (although I'd love to see 'The Game Show Show' done as a movie :haw: ), or doing a huge and insanely expensive epic like The Cursed Earth, The Judge Child or Block Mania/The Apocalypse War. I guess if you've only got a $40m budget, keeping it in one location with a new villain who fits it is about all you can do.

I was maybe 12 or so when the Stallone movie came out, and I don't really remember it all too well, but I played the hell out of the SNES game, and wondered why the heck there were these ghost-like Evil Judges (whom I later learned were the Dark Judges). They weren't in the movie; how could they be relevant to the game? Frankly, I'd like to see them in movie-form - how do you mean they're too extreme for a mature-rated feature film? (Might sound dick-ish, I'm honestly curious).

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

NotAnArtist posted:

I was maybe 12 or so when the Stallone movie came out, and I don't really remember it all too well, but I played the hell out of the SNES game, and wondered why the heck there were these ghost-like Evil Judges (whom I later learned were the Dark Judges). They weren't in the movie; how could they be relevant to the game? Frankly, I'd like to see them in movie-form - how do you mean they're too extreme for a mature-rated feature film? (Might sound dick-ish, I'm honestly curious).

In the comics the dark judges are effectively spirits from a parallel dimension that are un-killable and eat souls and emotions and stuff. They can be psychically banished or sealed up in certain materials (I think the SNES game had something like this actually where instead of just blowing them away like every other enemy you had to use a particular ammo type to capture their and banish their souls with). I don't think it's too weird so much as that the scope of the threat would require a pretty big budget to be convincing. Judge Death's first appearance in the comics is in a lot of pretty constricted areas once he hits our world, but in a film you'd get that effect in The Avengers where you see two people on a street at a time and are supposed to imagine a huge alien invasion happening right around them in the middle of Midtown.

Plus I could see producers being hesitant about pushing something that isn't either straight "sci-fi" or straight "fantasy." Stuff like Dune or Warhammer 40,000 that has high technology and straight up magic and ghosts at the same time owns but I feel like the capacity of audiences to handle "so much" is underestimated. Conan the Barbarian and Immortals both come to mind. Both films were originally written to be post apocalyptic in nature with a blasted earth, mutants and so on while still having a lot of super natural content but both were scaled back in scope.

I can also understand wanting to distance this one from the Stallone movie, so no ABC Warrior bots and such.

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

Young Freud posted:

The thing I remember seeing in Game Informer or some other gaming magazine, there were CoD-style cutaways, but the one I saw was from the perspective of a banker whose home is invaded by the not-Occupy terrorists, his family taken captive, and a bomb strapped to him and then tossed into traffic.

Honestly, having Rainbow members go rogue and taking out bankers, brokers, and other corporate executive types would have been cooler. I think the problem is that those executive management class is probably the least sympathetic people in the United States right now that even if they made the terrorists irredeemable bad guys, there would still be a nagging part in your mind that these guys are right.

poo poo, I felt that way playing the Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter series, because the basic jist of that game is that you're intervening and putting down a popular revolution that seeks to keep its nation's sovereignty and not be a U.S. security puppet. And that's with most of your targets being brown-skinned Mexicans.

thats in this (target fake) gameplay https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1QxVJvFKk_s. you play as the CEO and it opens with a HUG WIFE quicktime event because this is totally subtle brilliant writing.

rejutka
May 28, 2004

by zen death robot

Payndz posted:

I'd love to see Barry's Questions game show. See how long it would take for an audience to crack.

Maybe something with Otto Sump? A hot dog run if they get a bigger budget or manage it better.

I remember watching the Stallone Dredd with a friend who knew gently caress all about him. I think my comments were along the lines of "Yeah, okay, that's supposed to be McGruder? Why is Judge Silver white and where's his giant scar and rockin' cane?" and so on and so forth until the big clone reveal which had me sitting there going "Yeah, so?" And then that bloody kiss.

I can see Karl Urban enjoying the gently caress out of playing Dredd but someone pointed out to me years ago that the perfect casting would be Jimmy Hill. I have not been able to unsee it ever since.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

etalian posted:

Yeah but capturing the the acidic satirical natural of the series would be much more challenging than going the interesting setting for a action movie route.
I think the Stallone movie captured the feel of Mega-City One pretty drat well and made it really unique and visually compelling. Like, it felt like a place that needed hard-core "I am the law" Judges to dish out serious justice and keep the peace.
I'm really not feeling that in the DREDD trailer.

Payndz posted:

I suppose one problem is that the Stallone film burned through some of the more iconic and 'straightforward' Dredd villains (Rico, the Angel Gang)
But since this is meant to be an introductory "reboot" and isn't connected to the Stallone movie (which came out 15+ years ago and people probably don't remember too well anyway) why would it matter if they re-used some of the more straightforward Dredd villains?

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
Am I the only person who really isn't bothered by the fact that this looks like a generic action film? At this point, a "generic action film" along these lines (stone-faced gravel-voiced protagonist shoots lots and lots of bad guys) is kind of a breath of fresh air; we haven't really had any good ones other than The Raid (which this pretty much looks like a cyberpunk version of, as I said in the Who Greenlit thread) in probably close to a decade.

I love the Dredd comics but if this forgoes being a perfect adaptation in favor of just being a really fun to watch action film I'll be satisfied.

Xenomrph posted:

But since this is meant to be an introductory "reboot" and isn't connected to the Stallone movie (which came out 15+ years ago and people probably don't remember too well anyway) why would it matter if they re-used some of the more straightforward Dredd villains?

The people who do remember the Stallone movie mostly loving hate it.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

I think my mass effect is broken
Honestly, I don't see the point with screaming bloody murder over the movie based on what is an early trailer. All we know is the basic outline of the plot and while there doesn't appear to be any of the satire that is apparently present in the comics, it's not the first time and it won't be the last time that the trailer may be misleading. Sometimes you guys are worse than the people from the "Youtube reacts to" videos.

edogawa rando fucked around with this message at 10:42 on Jun 24, 2012

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

No one is screaming bloody murder, though. :confused:

People are expressing legitimate concerns based on what we've seen so far. If the final product ends up being awesome, then that's great! It's not like we want the movie to fail, we're just setting up realistic expectations based on what's available.

echoplex
Mar 5, 2008

Stainless Style

WickedIcon posted:

The people who do remember the Stallone movie mostly loving hate it.

But not everyone. Probably helps that I have no interest in comics, though.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011

echoplex posted:

But not everyone. Probably helps that I have no interest in comics, though.

Yeah, I pretty much figured you would be one of the ones who liked it. For all its faults it has amazing production design and art direction. :)

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

I'm really liking the design of mega city one, its looks like its taking inspiration from real third world cities. Its dystopic in the sense that its a sprawling slum rather than because its a mess of skyscrapers.

Like with the lighting, everything looks harsh and glaring making it look uncomfortable like midsummer in LA or some other sweaty shithole, wheras the stallone movie mega city one was more blade runner type perpetual darkness buildings blotting out the sun type deal.

massive spider fucked around with this message at 13:38 on Jun 24, 2012

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
Mega City One in this reminds me a lot of Robocop's Detroit, which is a good thing.

Gooble Rampling
Jan 30, 2004

It seems like it would be really difficult to make a popular movie with the satirical over-the-top nature of the Dredd comics, so a "cyberpunk The Raid" sounds like a good enough compromise. The only thing that made me laugh was the slo-mo drug. Is that a real thing in the comics? Because it sounded like someone got their hands on a Phantom camera and wanted to write in some (potentially awesome) scenes to use it for.

der juicen
Aug 11, 2005

Fuck haters
I really like the song in the trailer. Really worked with the slow-mo first scene too.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Payndz posted:

, or doing a huge and insanely expensive epic like The Cursed Earth, The Judge Child or Block Mania/The Apocalypse War. I guess if you've only got a $40m budget, keeping it in one location with a new villain who fits it is about all you can do.

Will we get Ronald McDonald shooting a guy for spilling a milkshake? Also another storyline that would be hard to do with setup and to be honest content is Necropolis.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

massive spider posted:

I'm really liking the design of mega city one, its looks like its taking inspiration from real third world cities. Its dystopic in the sense that its a sprawling slum rather than because its a mess of skyscrapers.

Like with the lighting, everything looks harsh and glaring making it look uncomfortable like midsummer in LA or some other sweaty shithole, wheras the stallone movie mega city one was more blade runner type perpetual darkness buildings blotting out the sun type deal.

I like the gravestone setup of skyscrapers, with everything surrounding them as slums.

I like the idea of the harsh sunlight being a lighting motif. Nothing says "global warming" like unforgiving sunshine.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Also there is no way that they are not setting up Judge Death since they have Judge Anderson

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

bobkatt013 posted:

Also there is no way that they are not setting up Judge Death since they have Judge Anderson

Given all the weirdness that went on with this film's production and post-production, I have a hard time believing that the thinking is, "OK, we've got our sequel hook," but rather, "OK, let's hope and pray we make our money back."

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Timby posted:

Given all the weirdness that went on with this film's production and post-production, I have a hard time believing that the thinking is, "OK, we've got our sequel hook," but rather, "OK, let's hope and pray we make our money back."

I mean out of all the Judges they chose her and she is important when it comes to Judge Death. So I assume she was chosen so she is known to the viewer if there is a sequel and it has Judge Death.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

bobkatt013 posted:

Will we get Ronald McDonald shooting a guy for spilling a milkshake?
They'd shoot it, but the film would mysteriously become shorter and have a hastily-done new scene with Dredd eating delicious tinned peas within a few days of its initial release.

(This really happened in the comic. :ssh: )

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

WickedIcon posted:

Yeah, I pretty much figured you would be one of the ones who liked it. For all its faults it has amazing production design and art direction. :)
And Alan Silvestri's soundtrack is pretty kickass, too. The main Dredd theme rules.

der juicen posted:

I really like the song in the trailer. Really worked with the slow-mo first scene too.
I did too, so I looked it up. :)

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Payndz posted:

They'd shoot it, but the film would mysteriously become shorter and have a hastily-done new scene with Dredd eating delicious tinned peas within a few days of its initial release.

(This really happened in the comic. :ssh: )

How amazing would this be

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
Btw, if anyone should be interested in reading the comics 2000AD have been putting out these great "Judge Dredd Complete Case File" books which compiles the comics strips. I think they're up to vol 19 now and they're ~300 pages each iirc. Pricepoint is ~$15-20.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

MrBling posted:

Btw, if anyone should be interested in reading the comics 2000AD have been putting out these great "Judge Dredd Complete Case File" books which compiles the comics strips. I think they're up to vol 19 now and they're ~300 pages each iirc. Pricepoint is ~$15-20.

The only issues missing are the ones with the fast food war and that is case file 2.

Farnk
Apr 7, 2003
I, for one, am excited to see this. I like that Urban always has a serious frown on, but not that he looks too small for the suit.

Also I know nothing about Dredd except the Stallone movie.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Xenomrph posted:

And Alan Silvestri's soundtrack is pretty kickass, too. The main Dredd theme rules.

Much like everything else besides the look of Mega-City One, though, it's completely inappropriate for Judge Dredd. It's "action hero suite 101."

I said it in another thread, but Silvestri's Dredd theme would have been nearly perfect for Captain America, instead of the bland junk ("Star Spangled Man" aside) that Silvestri turned out for that film.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Timby posted:

Much like everything else besides the look of Mega-City One, though, it's completely inappropriate for Judge Dredd. It's "action hero suite 101."

I said it in another thread, but Silvestri's Dredd theme would have been nearly perfect for Captain America, instead of the bland junk ("Star Spangled Man" aside) that Silvestri turned out for that film.
The Avengers anthem he did for 'The Avengers' was pretty righteous, though.

Vaerai Archon
Jan 4, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post

MrBling posted:

The European releases are on that number, but the North American releases are only at volume 5.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
I love how they always try to sell Dredd as a cliche action hero, when some of the bigger and more popular stories are more personal in scale, and the rest are generally way the gently caress more out there than most blockbusters. Like they'd never think to do a movie about "America" or "Necropolis", but they'll have him just kill some random criminals for an hour forty. A lot of the better Dredd stories actually have him introspective and critical of the law and it's place in Mega-City One. It's not all "Pull out the Lawgiver and lets fire off some explosive bullets!" and Dredd as an unthinking fascist monster with a boner for the law.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Vaerai Archon posted:

The European releases are on that number, but the North American releases are only at volume 5.

You can do what I did and just get them from amazon.co.uk

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Boogaleeboo posted:

I love how they always try to sell Dredd as a cliche action hero, when some of the bigger and more popular stories are more personal in scale, and the rest are generally way the gently caress more out there than most blockbusters. Like they'd never think to do a movie about "America" or "Necropolis", but they'll have him just kill some random criminals for an hour forty. A lot of the better Dredd stories actually have him introspective and critical of the law and it's place in Mega-City One. It's not all "Pull out the Lawgiver and lets fire off some explosive bullets!" and Dredd as an unthinking fascist monster with a boner for the law.

I actually prefer Dredd as an unthinking fascist to be honest, the whole "well shucks maybe I'm in the wrong after all" thing doesn't really work for me.

To me its a lot more interesting and braver to have a protagonist who's just an out and out dick rather than try to humanise him.

I said earlier that in the trailer Urban seems like he's a little more gleeful in what he does than I would have pictured, but Dredd as a total sociopath is still an interpretation that could work for me.

massive spider fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Jun 24, 2012

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

massive spider posted:

I actually prefer Dredd as an unthinking fascist to be honest, the whole "well shucks maybe I'm in the wrong after all" thing doesn't really work for me.

To me its a lot more interesting and braver to have a protagonist who's just an out and out dick rather than try to humanise him.
I dunno, when you have a one-note (but "badass") protagonist, you end up with Rorschach and you're stuck with the audience cheering on a character they really shouldn't be cheering on just because he's "badass".

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

massive spider posted:

I said earlier that in the trailer Urban seems like he's a little more gleeful in what he does than I would have pictured, but Dredd as a total sociopath is still an interpretation that could work for me.

If that was the case then you would miss out on some awesome stories like Tale of the Dead Man and Letter to Dredd

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Xenomrph posted:

I dunno, when you have a one-note (but "badass") protagonist, you end up with Rorschach and you're stuck with the audience cheering on a character they really shouldn't be cheering on just because he's "badass".

Rorschach is a really interesting character though, its not the film/comics fault that some idiots think he's unironically awesome. He wouldn't be improved by having a more obvious "MAYBE IM BAD" moment for the slow kids so we can all feel good about liking him again.

I don't like when anti-heroes pet babies and ultimately get neutered to the point where there's nothing threatening about them anymore. Examples: Dexter, Wolverine ect.

Also, I think more people catch on to the fact that Rorsharch is flawed than you might think. People can have a visceral reaction to cheer a bad guy while simultaneously knowing on some level that he's bad.

massive spider fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Jun 24, 2012

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

I think my mass effect is broken

massive spider posted:

Also, I think more people catch on to the fact that Rorsharch is flawed than you might think. People can have a visceral reaction to cheer a bad guy while simultaneously knowing on some level that he's bad.

Classic example of this is at the climax of Once Were Warriors, when Jake Heke (Temuera Morrison) learns that his 13 year-old daughter was raped in his own home by his best friend Uncle Bully (Cliff Curtis) and in an uncontrollable rage, beats the poo poo out of the guy and repeatedly stomps on his groin. Jake is portrayed as a monstrous, unlikeable brute but that moment received massive cheers at the theatres in New Zealand.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

massive spider posted:

The thing is, he's still a fascist. He's still fine with the draconian laws, the near total rule of the Judges, all of that. He's just not a total cliche. Why shouldn't mutants that can follow the law be allowed to suffer under it like everyone else? Why shouldn't we put the system to a vote if we have the support of the people? Dredd is a fascist that thinks their brand of fascism is the best thing people have going, he's not a fascist because WHOOO SHOOT PEOPLE IN THE FACE DIE CRIMINAL SCUM! He's not all that much of speciesist or classist or racist. Everyone is equal in the eyes of the law. That is to say, everyone is found wanting.

One of the better things they've done is actually build a narrative and a history. Dredd has aged exactly as much as years that have passed since the first story. He's old as balls now, and he has a lot of story behind him. And that history is referenced, it has a real impact on the city and the stories. Dredd as an actual figure with growth and emotions is better than a joke Dredd. It gives weight to the brutality that does happen. An unthinking oppression machine gets boring. Dredd still tells interesting stories after all these years because they avoid that.

Mulva fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Jun 24, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
My only experiences with Judge Dredd was the SNES game first, and drat was that game long as hell. It follows the plot of the movie but even after that it keeps going and as someone mentioned it includes the Judge Death stuff, so imagine my young self asking, "Who the gently caress are these people and where the hell am I?" I also have the Judge Vs. Death game that came out a little while back. I think it follows the comics more, but I am not sure since I never read them.

I wouldn't mind seeing the movie to see how they make the character play out.

• Locked thread