Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

MrFlibble posted:

Yep. And We've actually seen him helmetless too :ssh: (Various clones of him/ Judge Fargo have taken off their helmets at one point or another)

Ya then Dredd has got to kill them. This is especially true if they helped slaughter over 10 thousand citizens

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

MrFlibble posted:

Yep. And We've actually seen him helmetless too :ssh: (Various clones of him/ Judge Fargo have taken off their helmets at one point or another)
Plus we even saw Fargo's face in a flashback during 'Dredd Angel', and since Dredd's a clone of him...

Not that it matters, really. Dredd is Dredd. The helmet is his face, just like Batman's mask. Does it matter what Bruce Wayne looks like?

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

I was never clear on if Dredd and Rico were meant to be exact copies of Fargo or if they made some changes.

Besides they all looked completely different in the Stallone film!

liquidswordz
Mar 21, 2003

marktheando posted:

I was never clear on if Dredd and Rico were meant to be exact copies of Fargo or if they made some changes.

Besides they all looked completely different in the Stallone film!

In an early story, Dredd has to remove his helmet and onlookers are horrified by what they see. It could be presumed that his face is disfigured in some way.

MrFlibble
Nov 28, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fallen Rib

liquidswordz posted:

In an early story, Dredd has to remove his helmet and onlookers are horrified by what they see. It could be presumed that his face is disfigured in some way.

His Jay Leno chin is much more prominent without the helmet and shoulderpads to distract you. But Payndz is right. He is the helmet, but mostly he is the Law.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
In the Cursed Earth storyline Dredd gets shot through the head and the way he is show after the surgery is with the entire top half of his head bandaged up. Just to avoid showing his face, it's quite funny.

DocHorror
Mar 4, 2007

I am the Master, you will obey me...
He spends a lot of the Necropolis storyline helmetless, but since he is so horribly burnt he just looks like he's made of bark.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

DocHorror posted:

He spends a lot of the Necropolis storyline helmetless, but since he is so horribly burnt he just looks like he's made of bark.

What I would give to see that story made into a movie. Holy poo poo it would be incredible.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

DocHorror posted:

He almost smiles when he meets McGruder again out in the Cursed Earth. Getting his face burnt off and losing his memory for a couple of months actually improved his disposition.

Actually, in the Dead Man storyline he looks a lot like a hosed-up Clint Eastwood, which is interesting because Urban sounds like he's doing a kind of Dirty Harry/Man With No Name voice and taking Dredd back to his roots as a sci-fi Harry Callahan.

Armani
Jun 22, 2008

Now it's been 17 summers since I've seen my mother

But every night I see her smile inside my dreams
His helmet is too big. Stallone's actually fits around his face and was molded for him, it looks like. Urban looks like he is wearing something made for Stallone. Like a kid in a Space Marine helmet.

It's really bothersome, and I like Urban enough for the role otherwise. Christ, it seems like such an easy fix, too!

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

bobkatt013 posted:

What I would give to see that story made into a movie. Holy poo poo it would be incredible.

I'd love to see a non-Dredd reader's face at the Kit Agee fakeout rescue, if it were shot as misdirection :)

"Oh man, they're going in to get her, that's comradeship all right!"

"drat."

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Armani posted:

His helmet is too big. Stallone's actually fits around his face and was molded for him, it looks like. Urban looks like he is wearing something made for Stallone. Like a kid in a Space Marine helmet.

It's really bothersome, and I like Urban enough for the role otherwise. Christ, it seems like such an easy fix, too!

That's been my biggest issue -- the helmet and costume in general is just so loving bad!

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Vintersorg posted:

That's been my biggest issue -- the helmet and costume in general is just so loving bad!

The motorcycles (and everything else about the highway shots) are pretty low-rent too. The props and costumes all look like something from a fan film.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Bugblatter posted:

The motorcycles (and everything else about the highway shots) are pretty low-rent too. The props and costumes all look like something from a fan film.
When the first on-set shots came out and the vehicles were all contemporary, I was a bit disappointed but thought "They'll be shot at night and just be filling out the background, they'll look fine."

Then the trailer shows them in broad daylight, so Mega-City One looks like Soweto. Oh well.

EDIT: I just realised that the Batpod from The Dark Knight is one big-rear end gold eagle away from being an actual Lawmaster bike, wide tyres and twin machine guns and everything. Was Nolan a Dredd fan as a kid?

Small Strange Bird fucked around with this message at 09:58 on Jun 28, 2012

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

Payndz posted:

Then the trailer shows them in broad daylight, so Mega-City One looks like Soweto. Oh well.

Honestly, I've got no real problem with that and I'm quite looking forward to seeing someone attempt to depict a modern dystopian city rather than just rehashing the Bladerunner-esque future cities of the seventies and eighties. The world has moved on from the period in which Dredd was originally conceived, when it looked like London was going to be taken over by concrete ghettos like the Thamesmead estate.

rejutka
May 28, 2004

by zen death robot

That's some excellent Carlos Ezquerra mouth Karl's got going on. I'd like to think the next words he says are either Stomm! or Drokk!

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
There will never be a proper Dredd movie until theres a scene with a 1200lb fattie with a belly wheel in it. FACT.

Just saw this thread for the first time, was a looooong time 2000AD reader upto about 10 years ago, and just saw the trailer in the OP for the first time too. All I can say is 'aww ickle Dredd wants to be the Dark Knight'.

Edit VVVVV Looks more like the Matrix City without the green filter than Detroit to me.

happyhippy fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Jun 27, 2012

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Flatscan posted:

Honestly, I've got no real problem with that and I'm quite looking forward to seeing someone attempt to depict a modern dystopian city rather than just rehashing the Bladerunner-esque future cities of the seventies and eighties. The world has moved on from the period in which Dredd was originally conceived, when it looked like London was going to be taken over by concrete ghettos like the Thamesmead estate.
What exactly is a "modern dystopian city"? Detroit?

A big part of sci-fi is seeing crazy poo poo that doesn't actually exist. Why would I want to see a movie set in a crazy year-2100 super-overpopulated city that looks like it takes place in 2010 Detroit?

Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007
I lived and breathed 2000AD as a kid. Seems like kind of waste using the Dredd IP for this kind of siege movie.

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

Xenomrph posted:

What exactly is a "modern dystopian city"? Detroit?

A big part of sci-fi is seeing crazy poo poo that doesn't actually exist. Why would I want to see a movie set in a crazy year-2100 super-overpopulated city that looks like it takes place in 2010 Detroit?

Did you actually read my post? I clearly meant a dystopian city based on modern cities, rather than cities from the seventies. Detriot is a bad example to use for extrapolation into MC1 as it's pretty much the exact opposite, an underpopulated shithole as opposed to overpopulated. Payndz's choice of Soweto is much more appropriate.

My point is that the nature of city growth has changed since Dredd was first written, so I have no problem with the nature of Mega-City One changing along with it, at least in new adaptations. The only nation really building huge tower blocks for social housing these days is China, everybody else is knocking the fuckers down at every opportunity.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
A more official trailer has appeared? It is more or less the same.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PifvRiHVSCY

MrBling fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Jun 30, 2012

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
He's got a sort of X over his visor. Don't they obscure his eyesight?

OppyDoppyDopp
Feb 17, 2012
Justice is (partially) blind.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
Dude has robo-eyes, he gives no fucks.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Baron Bifford posted:

I'd noticed that too - the X is usually (depending on the artist) drawn much lower down in the comic. They must have had a reason for it, but now I'm wondering if Karl Urban is going to be cross-eyed in his next movie because the helmet had the same effect as the Opti-Grab from The Jerk.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Baron Bifford posted:

Not if he looks like this underneath the helmet:

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?
I still can't get over that loving "It's judgement time!" line is; it just seems so forced, like he's winking at us under the helmet or something. I would have been fine though if he got to use his "This is the fist of Dredd" line, because that works in all situations. Really though it's just a bit of a bummer they can't really get across the anti portion of Dredd's anti-hero nature; any time he's taking down a criminal in the movie they always seem to come across as the worst scum ever, and they're packed to the teeth and on drugs/raping women/killing puppies. It kinda glosses over the fact that Dredd, and the law itself, is rather ruthless itself and that people are just reacting to very cramped and fascist settings with anger and frustration. The trailer just makes it seem like people in the future are violent for no particular reason and all these super cops are necessary to maintain order. Just seems to be missing some key points from the original source.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Niggurath posted:

I still can't get over that loving "It's judgement time!" line is; it just seems so forced, like he's winking at us under the helmet or something. I would have been fine though if he got to use his "This is the fist of Dredd" line, because that works in all situations. Really though it's just a bit of a bummer they can't really get across the anti portion of Dredd's anti-hero nature; any time he's taking down a criminal in the movie they always seem to come across as the worst scum ever, and they're packed to the teeth and on drugs/raping women/killing puppies. It kinda glosses over the fact that Dredd, and the law itself, is rather ruthless itself and that people are just reacting to very cramped and fascist settings with anger and frustration. The trailer just makes it seem like people in the future are violent for no particular reason and all these super cops are necessary to maintain order. Just seems to be missing some key points from the original source.

Eh, I'd say the '95 movie communicated the anti- part pretty well. The supporting cast frequently comments on his over the top application of the law, and Rico, despite being a mass murderer, actually makes a good point during his big speech.

Not seeing any indication of irony from this trailer though.

Rocket Ace
Aug 11, 2006

R.I.P. Dave Stevens
It would have been awesome if they would have brought on Simon Bisley for visual or character designs (like they brought Moebius and Giger for Alien).

I mean, if you're making a non-satirical pro-fascist movie about killing drug lords wantonly, why not go even more over the top?

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Bugblatter posted:

Eh, I'd say the '95 movie communicated the anti- part pretty well. The supporting cast frequently comments on his over the top application of the law, and Rico, despite being a mass murderer, actually makes a good point during his big speech.

Not seeing any indication of irony from this trailer though.

I thought that the way the Stallone film treated Dredd as though he was some renegade taking things too far in the eyes of the other Judges was missing the point. It was silly to have Hershey and Fargo and people criticising him- he's like the perfect Judge. Calling out Dredd for his application of the law is basically calling out the whole Judge system. The only Judges who would do it would be actual free thinking renegades, which none of Dredd's critics were portrayed as. Edit- Except Rico obviously.

They latched onto the idea of him being a Dirty Harry type antihero but missed the point that unlike Dirty Harry he operates under a system where his methods are completely acceptable.

Though they did also have non Judge characters calling him/the system out which was good.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

I'm a little bugged that they give away the main villain's death right in the loving trailer.

I mean, not like the movie was going to end with Judge Dredd not killing the bad guy, but still.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

LtKenFrankenstein posted:

I'm a little bugged that they give away the main villain's death right in the loving trailer.

I mean, not like the movie was going to end with Judge Dredd not killing the bad guy, but still.
Dredd actually very rarely executes people on the spot in the comic (shooting them for resisting arrest, on the other hand...) It would be funny (and appropriately satirical) to have him just slap on the cuffs and growl "You're gonna spend the rest of your natural life in the cuuuuubes" [cut to black]. Dredd has gone to ridiculous lengths to see that people do their time, whether it be putting terminally-ill criminals in suspended animation until a cure's developed for their ailment so they can be revived to serve a full sentence, or riding hundreds of miles out into the Cursed Earth to arrest and bring back someone who was leaving Mega-City One forever for not paying their exit tax.

Throwdown
Sep 4, 2003

Here you go, dummies.
The original is on youtube in its entirety.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5CNgHHjN-4k

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

speaking of that piece of poo poo on next weeks How did that get made it is the subject.

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008

Throwdown posted:

The original is on youtube in its entirety.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5CNgHHjN-4k

I forgot how much of a perfect action movie this is. The endless 'witty' one-liners especially. Also the sets and costumes are beautiful except for the denouement which is strangely sterile.

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost

Sri.Theo posted:

I forgot how much of a perfect action movie this is. The endless 'witty' one-liners especially. Also the sets and costumes are beautiful except for the denouement which is strangely sterile.

I loved the Stallone Dredd movie, holy poo poo. Me and my circle of friends still quote weekly from Judge Dredd and Demolition Man.

bullet3
Nov 8, 2011
You know, just looking over some of that again, the special effects are damned impressive. There's something really cool about the use of physical models for the city shots and stuff like the hover-bike chase. The motion/rear-projection stuff looks off and ruins the effect, but the actual backgrounds look really damned realistic, much better than something like Attack of the Clones.

Honestly, if you cut Rob Schneider out, the old Judge Dredd would be really quite good. It's a shame to see the new one be so small-scale and unambitious.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
Alex Garland's been talking about this, chances of a sequel, the Dark Judges and the like. Interestingly, he mentions it should only need to pass $50m US to warrant a follow up, which doesn't sound like much but I guess when you factor in the relative obscurity of the character, the rating, how low budget it looks, etc then it's pretty touch and go.

If it does do well enough for another, it sounds like it will be either more of a look at the law system and world in general (inc the Cursed Earth), with the Dark Judges being left till a third film.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

That ABC Warrior looks so loving cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Hakkesshu posted:

That ABC Warrior looks so loving cool.
I would love to see a full-on ABC Warriors movie (as long as it portrayed them more like they were in 'Black Hole' rather than the Khaos Magick bullshit that followed). Moreso than a Dredd movie, to be honest...

• Locked thread