Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mtrc
Mar 29, 2011

THE FUTURE, YOU GUYS
HONK HONK HONK is now a serious contender for i poo poo trains' "Best Dwarf Name" title.

That was a great update, OhCrap, really enjoying the style!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vorpal Swordfish
Feb 4, 2011

Slashrat posted:

I kinda like the minimap being visible when it isn't immediately obvious where the location being shown is.

Edit: Also, artifact cat bone toy boat? I hope that will either buy the entire stock a trade caravan or else make one of the current children ecstatic for life.

I believe Lepermod included something that allows you to put these otherwise useless artifacts on display (So they basically just become very high-value furniture pieces that everyone can be happy about looking at).

OhCrap
Oct 14, 2011

I MAKE VICTORY!
Ok, I've done a quick resize so I can do away with TIMG, except for the one bio. I hope that's more readable without breaking tables.

TildeATH posted:

I take back everything bad I ever said about you. Even the stuff in private and on 4chan.

I liked the Inaccessible Item joke and the Schizophrenic Previous Overseer Appraisal.

Yay! Redemption!

Slashrat posted:

I kinda like the minimap being visible when it isn't immediately obvious where the location being shown is.

Edit: Also, artifact cat bone toy boat? I hope that will either buy the entire stock a trade caravan or else make one of the current children ecstatic for life.

There's not too much to spoil by having the minimap on, but I do need to be more conscious of it - don't want to lose detail unnecessarily. I have it full screen while playing and then restore it to a smaller window for screenshots .. in this case I think it was ok but I'll watch out for next updates.

There is so much awesome in a cat bone toy boat, in my mind. It's not worth as much as you'd hope though.

FinalSin posted:

HONK HONK HONK is now a serious contender for i poo poo trains' "Best Dwarf Name" title.

That was a great update, OhCrap, really enjoying the style!

For some reason, The GoBotSodomizer tickles my funny bone as a dwarf name. Especially when it comes to the bio.

And thanks! I wasn't sure how it would be received .. so I'm starting to feel a little more relaxed.

Maelin
Aug 12, 2007

OhCrap posted:

I found that as I wrote, the character of my dwarf started to take shape. The stunted language I've used is deliberate - it's actually cut down from more verbose entries. I am sure that you will recognise inspiration from Matul Remrit, and this too is deliberate. I really like the way those dwarfs are represented, and it really fitted my dwarf's character as it evolved .. especially when it turned out to be a relatively young female dwarf who is both impatient and inexperienced.

I started reading the update in Mordin Solus' voice and now I can't stop :(

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Maelin posted:

I started reading the update in Mordin Solus' voice and now I can't stop :(

I was doing it in a generic stilted Russian accent. Now it's turned into stilted Russian Mordin and I'm very confused. Looking forward to more though, definitely feels like you hit your stride a few entries in.

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum
That update was Good Update.

e:

OhCrap posted:

HONK HONK HONK

Why can't I stop laughing?

Ignimbrite fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Jul 17, 2012

OhCrap
Oct 14, 2011

I MAKE VICTORY!

From the Private Overseer Files of OhCrap MountainMist, 237, Bronzestabbed

New Migrant Assessment - 10th Sandstone, 237

The following new migrants arrived on 8th Sandstone, 237. I have Assessed them Rigorously and my findings follow.

"Bikindok" Tradedlances

"Chickenfrogdwarf" Steamgems

"Gnu Sheriff In Town" Budmirrors

"Babies" Tonecrystals

As a child, Babies has No Skills of note, but I Assess the following of her Personality for Future Assignment.

"MinorRed" Palacebuck

It seems strange to Assess beloved husband, but here it is bereft from feelings. I am a Good Overseer.

"HONK HONK HONK" Fateboat

HONK HONK HONK knows many Good Jokes. I hope she will tell them so that the Bad Joke will go away.

"The GoBotSodomizer" Inkedbronze

"CongoJack" Theaterpages

I do not question why Children of No Skill also require Aliases. I do the duty that calls.

"Samuel L. Jackson" Helpfulmetal

"DashingGentleman" Copperstrapped

"Humph" Leangilt

"Vim Fuego" Laborflesh

markus_cz
May 10, 2009

Ignimbrite posted:

Yeah, I just wanted to say that OhCrap is a Good Overseer. Love the capitalisation!

OhCrap
Oct 14, 2011

I MAKE VICTORY!
And there's the migrant bios. I wanted to make sure I posted them before I grabbed some sleep. I've also gone back and added my skills to the main update.

Incidentally - I am a guy, and I'm only playing the 'beloved husband' stuff as being in character for my female dwarf - just to set MinorRed's mind at rest :)

Thanks all. Embarrassingly, I had to look up Mordin Solus - that's awesome. Not what I had in mind, but I like it :)

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Dude, this is really funny. I was honestly grinning the whole way through, and chortled and laughed out loud more than once. It's so flawlessly...well, I don't want to be rude, so we'll just leave it at "flawless."

Need a :golfclap: with a beard, stat.

Qwo
Sep 27, 2011

Ignimbrite posted:

I agree with this.

H1KE
May 7, 2007

Somehow, I don't think they'd approve the franchise...

Mortizzle posted:

Oh boy a fellow Aussie overseer, I am excited. Is it too late to hack in some weredropbears?

We could also edit in their drunken cousins the Bundy Bear, and the less oft seen Rum Pig too! :v:

That was a great update. This is going to be good.

JamieTheD
Nov 4, 2011

LPer, Reviewer, Mad Welshman

(Yes, that's a self portrait)

From the Diary of JimmyTheD, Ex-Overseer

He broke the Mister. HE BROKE THE MISTER! ALL IT NEEDED WAS TWO BLOODY WALLS WHERE IT WAS LEAKING, AND WALLS AROUND THE WINDMILLS, AND WE'D HAVE BEEN FINE!

UGATH WILL GIVE YOU BOILS ON YOUR BOILS, NGALAK WILL CRUSH YOU WITH ROCKS, AND TITHLETH WILL TELL YOUR DIRTIEST FANTASIES TO THE QUEEN, WHO WILL BE DISPLEASED WITH YOUR PERVERSION, YOU BASTARD!

Must stay calm... other people will fix the Mister. Everything is...

...Oh, who am I kidding? We're all going to die next time the murk comes!

JamieTheD
Nov 4, 2011

Otherwise, it was, I will agree, Good Update. Your characterisation as an idiot is flawless.

EDIT: Yes, this was a compliment, if people didn't get that. :D

JamieTheD fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Jul 17, 2012

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

JamieTheD posted:

:words::words::words: Bad Overseer :words::words::words:

The anguish of a powerless ex-overseer witnessing his precious work led astray is one of my favorite parts of DF LPs.

JamieTheD
Nov 4, 2011

Bad Munki posted:

The anguish of a powerless ex-overseer witnessing his precious work led astray is one of my favorite parts of DF LPs.

Heh, sorry if I gave the impression I'm genuinely angry, but overseers do what they want to do. :P

In character, though? I'm furious, and will be both furious and depressed until the Mister is fixed.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Hey, have I posted this yet?

Here is a map of cities of The Rare Ship and their "owner" groups. So if a dwarf is formerly a member of one of these groups, it means he or she lived in that mountain home.

If they're a member of a group that isn't listed here, it's probably a religious organization based at the fortress they live in, which is more tedious to extract from legends mode so I haven't done that. (If you see the Coven of Guts, that's the Ugath worshippers from Pagetin I think, we've been seeing it a lot.)

pre:
The 34 Cities of The Rare Ship:

86: Logembelal, "Paintfamous", mountain halls
	Owner: The Noiseless Tour, dwarves

110: Ezumosust, "Hametame", mountain halls
	Owner: The Bust of Direction, dwarves

153: Babinkeskal, "Friendlyshoots", mountain halls
	Owner: The Dagger of Authors, dwarves

182: Mamgozlorbam, "Dragonstandards", mountain halls
	Owner: The Chamber of Shoves, dwarves

214: Thikutamal, "Bookteacher", mountain halls
	Owner: The Lens of Lights, dwarves

240: Morulakrul, "Pagetin", mountain halls
	Owner: The Free Razor, dwarves

258: Zuglaruthmik, "Shipshook", mountain halls
	Owner: The Ageless Rack, dwarves

280: Keskalmelbil, "Shottome", mountain halls
	Owner: The Confining Urns, dwarves

328: Anuzducim, "Fairworks", mountain halls
	Owner: The Work of Emeralds, dwarves

368: Bisektun, "Veileddoors", mountain halls
	Owner: The Greatest City, dwarves

402: Gamiltirist, "Trustedrims", mountain halls
	Owner: The Cave of Throwing, dwarves

426: Lorgubel, "Toolbulbous", mountain halls
	Owner: The Hermitic Helms, dwarves

428: Thukkanzon, "Amberhelms", mountain halls
	Owner: The Momentous Syrup, dwarves

450: Oltarlular, "Gildroot", mountain halls
	Owner: The Radiant Mine, dwarves

495: Shemtamol, "Planksavior", mountain halls
	Owner: The Boulders of Direction, dwarves

530: Morulokol, "Pagevoice", mountain halls
	Owner: The Relieved Lanterns, dwarves

568: Idenzat, "Paddlestab", mountain halls
	Owner: The Portentous Gloves, dwarves

606: Bisekatis, "Veilstake", mountain halls
	Owner: The Syrup of Daubbing, dwarves

646: Azinlibash, "Watchaxe", mountain halls
	Owner: The Lash of Fellowship, dwarves

685: Febrifot, "Arrowblocked", mountain halls
	Owner: The Bridge of Distinguishing, dwarves

722: Melbilidash, "Tomemoistened", mountain halls
	Owner: The Sly Lanterns, dwarves

740: Morulvutok, "Pagedfigure", mountain halls
	Owner: The Pure Stockade, dwarves

815: Asoborrun, "Boardroars", mountain halls
	Owner: The Furnace of Clashing, dwarves

833: Lisidled, "Clashracks", mountain halls
	Owner: The Wires of Thundering, dwarves

841: Letmoszokun, "Cobaltsieges", mountain halls
	Owner: The Bodices of Power, dwarves

870: Regkokeb, "Gloveddwell", mountain halls
	Owner: The Fortunate Sword, dwarves

876: Ibeshmuthkat, "Roastmansions", mountain halls
	Owner: The Arrow of Bone, dwarves

890: Asshigos, "Cavepacks", mountain halls
	Owner: The Paper of Lands, dwarves

909: Kelmorul, "Metalpages", mountain halls
	Owner: The Lance of Merging, dwarves

953: Onuligam, "Mirrorgorged", mountain halls
	Owner: The Creation of Slaughter, dwarves

963: Godenlisat, "Ropenotch", mountain halls
	Owner: The Lash of Tundras, dwarves

986: Ethrambomrek, "Ripewhips", mountain halls
	Owner: The Manor of Dawn, dwarves

997: Ledmurak, "Rackbold", mountain halls
	Owner: The Socketed Ship, dwarves

1035: Nishlolok, "Tradegranite", mountain halls
	Owner: The Coal of Folds, dwarves
e. I'm now linking to this post from the 2nd post, and I've also added a link to Magrov's helpful spreadsheet (here).

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Jul 17, 2012

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

quote:

This had me in stitches. Oh gently caress, my face hurts.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

JamieTheD posted:

In character, though? I'm furious, and will be both furious and depressed until the Mister is fixed.

Never fix it.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE
This new overseer is great. Loving the style.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:
Truly, the vile murk is but a fraction of the true evil that is... the Bad Joke. :ohdear:

Dead Cow
Nov 4, 2009

Passion makes the world go round.
Love just makes it a safer place.
♫Cat Bone Toy Boat
Cat Bone Toy Boat
Cat Bone Toy Boat♫

Ah Dwarven tongue twisters :allears:

Kaishai
Nov 3, 2010

Scoffing at modernity.

9th Sandstone 237

When the Overseer steps down immediately after finishing a complicated device and the new Overseer's alias is 'OhCrap,' it does not make a dwarf confident.

It could however be odder. I have spent time pondering the meaning of 'i poo poo trains.' I thought quite reasonably that he must be a superior teacher. Then I was told he is a recruit and new to the murder of enemies, so how he is supposed to defecate training upon the masses, I don't know. Then I was also told it could refer to caravan trains instead, as when elves come with their cages of wild beasts. I said that sounded very painful. The conversation ended there and so did my meal as cat tallow did not look appealing anymore. Now a Chickenfrogdwarf has joined us and I must resist all urge to ask how high he can jump.

The shower-thing at the entrance has been fixed with an axe. The anguished screams of JimmyTheD fill the fortress, but the gods must approve since they have rewarded OhCrap with El Belmondo's corpse and a cat bone toy boat. I think the gods will be angry if I wonder aloud which is the worse reward. I will keep such questions for my diary.

I would have more dwarves to talk to at dinner if I kept all questions for my diary, probably.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!

Uthar Lolor Lamessągam Kilrudzat

From Peas Stockadebeaches of the Coven of Guts, called to the service of the Great Shaper.

Greetings to you who labor in the halls of bronze, my brothers and sisters. Many of you have heard the true words, but there are those of you who still labor in darkness. We bring to you this message: do not fear! We your brothers of the coven do not seek to do you ill. In the interest of understanding I write these words to tell you of our faith that you too may come to know his light. Many are the ways of our grandfather, and not all will say the same words I say, but nevertheless these words are true.

In the beginning time, the world was brought forth from chaos. Many times was the world rejected and destroyed for its incompleteness before the makers were satisfied; some had too many oceans, and some too few, and in some the land was too foul to use or too wholesome to provide the challenge life needs to thrive. When the bones of the world were laid down, the gods set to work. Ngalak brought forth mountains and volcanos. Igest sent his rains to periodically erode the highest peaks. Etest imprisoned the great demons below the lake of fire. Lorsith filled the lakes and streams with fish while Osram and Dakas filled the earth with secret treasures.

These things any know who have studied the ancient writings. But where, in all this, was our grandfather? It is not spoken of, but we of his church have always known. While other gods labored with stone or tree or scale, he alone labored in the shaping of flesh. It was he who brought forth the great beasts and set them in Tithleth's caves, but he was unsatisfied with their undulations, their howling, their dust and murk. He brought forth the beasts and birds, but he was unsatisfied with their feathery wings, their quills, their peculiar smells. He brought forth the tree-people, but he was unsatisfied with their laziness. He brought forth the dark-people, but he was unsatisfied with their terrifying features. He brought forth the tall-people, but he was unsatisfied with their inability to hold their liquor. In the end, it was he who shaped our race to surpass all the others.

You know this to be true, in your hearts. But then, why do you imagine that his work has ended? He shapes us even today. It was he who decreed that all that live should lose their bodies to the earth, to rot away and make room for new creatures and new life. And when one is born with another hand, or missing their eyes, there are many who would say the gods or fate have harmed them, but we know the truth. These things are gifts from our grandfather, who seeks always to improve us; he shapes our flesh to see what will best serve our race in the days to come. None can know the ways of the god, so how can we say that which survives in a thousand years shall have eyes, or two hands, or one mouth? That is why we of the church honor all shapes that flesh takes, because each is the work of our grandfather, who looks always to the future.

Think on my words and come to know truth. For now, I must return to my new service, and ask our grandfather's blessing on this keg of ale. Until we speak again, my brothers and sisters, his peace and love be with each of you.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Reconstructed from engravings on the underside of several rock thrones crafted in Bronzestabbed. Style of engraving is consistent with other samples from The Archivist, but dictation by Dismab 'Tunicate' Calledtool is considered the most likely origin by modern historians.

... has deconstructed Mr. In honor of event I have composed lyrics in traditional style.

There once was an overseer craven
Who could not read instructions engraven
So he went with an axe
To disable pump-stacks
And next day awoke quite clean-shaven!

Ohcrap hums despite crude comedy at his expense. I do not believe he has realized the Poetry, nevertheless in the event production of song becomes forbidden music will be exported clandestinely.

Loden Taylor
Aug 11, 2003

A little late, but:

I wasn't going to but then I kept looking at this and then I had Brodyquest stuck in my head so yeah.

(a Loure is a baroque dance in a slow triple meter since when you're arranging something dumb for baroque ensemble you may as well go for maximum pretentiousness)

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

I'm so happy right now.

king of no pants
Mar 10, 2007

i'm watchin'
you post
Oh my god I could die happy knowing that this is a thing that exists now.

JamieTheD
Nov 4, 2011

Hehe, onward, my dwarf brothers, the music is fine and dandy!

Er... I mean GRRR, OHCRAP. GRR...

Squee!

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Artifact toy boat! Quick, someone make a glass jug and put it inside!

Tirius
Aug 16, 2007

A short, sturdy creature fond of drink and industry.

OhCrap posted:

It takes me 3 days to chop Windmill down. Many dwarves stand by and cheer. I do not know if they Mock.

Great update! This was probably my favorite mental image. I keep picturing a dwarf ineffectually hacking away at a windmill for 72 hours while the other dwarves drink booze, watching and laughing hysterically.

Kaishai
Nov 3, 2010

Scoffing at modernity.
I'm really late in saying how much I love this LP! I can't decide whether 'What Is Fun (Urist Don't Hurt Me)' or the Lego dioramas are my favorite bit. It'd probably be the song if it hadn't left me singing Haddaway in the grocery store. That last update was gold, and so is the byplay between overseers. Leperflesh gives us so much great detail.

In short, everybody's awesome.

Bene Elim
Feb 9, 2010

The beast from Crete that can't be beat!
I love this thread and everyone in it. This is the Good Best Let's Play.

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot

Loden Taylor posted:

A little late, but:

I wasn't going to but then I kept looking at this and then I had Brodyquest stuck in my head so yeah.

(a Loure is a baroque dance in a slow triple meter since when you're arranging something dumb for baroque ensemble you may as well go for maximum pretentiousness)

This is simply magical.

V - Nice.

Juc66
Nov 20, 2005
Lord of The Pants

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

If Dwarf Fortress was directed by David Lynch and Sam Raimi...

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
Only 330 more migrants before I arrive.

Oh god, why did I find this thread so late? :(

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!
Never enough music for DF LPs.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Umm...that's cool, I guess?

e: Needed a little fix in'.

ee: and again because dammit, we will respect proper maritime notation.

Bad Munki fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Jul 17, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot

Bad Munki posted:

Umm...that's cool, I guess?

Yeah, the more I think about this the creepier it gets.

• Locked thread