Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Diploid
Oct 21, 2010

Daeren posted:

I resemble that remark :colbert:
You were also the inspiration.
I merely made fun of what you had said earlier.
:haw:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JollyPubJerk
Nov 10, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
You could add Dinosaurs as an addition that is only found in spawns on Necromancers found in caves. That could overcome the :effort:

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

JollyPubJerk posted:

You could add Dinosaurs as an addition that is only found in spawns on Necromancers found in caves. That could overcome the :effort:

As far as I'm aware that's impossible. The only way you could sort of do that is to have necromancers turn other creatures/corpses into dinosaurs through an interaction, but then there would be other problems. Mainly the dinosaurs attacking the necromancer due to oddities in fortress mode AI.

This is a weird discussion.

VVVV Given that there are a ton of normal animals and DF I'm not sure why that would be the case.

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Jun 25, 2012

DarthXaos
Oct 27, 2010
If we have dinosaurs shouldn't they be called weird names in order to fit withing the existing canon of velociraptor = "beak dog"?

PotatoManJack
Nov 9, 2009
Jeepers! One day late, and I'm 300+ on the dwarfing list.

Just goes to show how awesome these bad boys are.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

DarthXaos posted:

If we have dinosaurs shouldn't they be called weird names in order to fit withing the existing canon of velociraptor = "beak dog"?

We won't have dinosaurs but that was definitely something I'd have done if we did. Because greek and latin don't exist in Dwarf Fortress and it's jarring to have a bunch of animals named with greek and latin names.

I do realize that a lot of animals have names derived from non-English sources of course but somehow it feels ok. It's the <everything>saur and <everythingelse>adon that throw me off.

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Her style is new but the face is the same as it was so long ago...

DarthXaos posted:

Beak dogs really aren't quite velociraptors. For instance, they have beaks. They also have gizzards, which I guess velociraptors might have had, dunno.

They do have the same number of toes.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I always thought of beak dogs as hairless chocobos from hell. With pretty rainbow skin.

PotatoManJack
Nov 9, 2009
The more important question concerning beak dogs is: When will we catch our first one, and train it into a war-beak dog and breed it for fortress defense?

sum
Nov 15, 2010

PotatoManJack posted:

The more important question concerning beak dogs is: When will we catch our first one, and train it into a war-beak dog and breed it for fortress defense?

Can't. They're not trainable.

PotatoManJack
Nov 9, 2009

i poo poo trains posted:

Can't. They're not trainable.

There is no 'can't'

All it takes is 5 seconds and adding in the [TRAINABLE] tag in the code. I usually add [TRAINABLE] to every single animal when I first load up a new version of DF.

vv This is true. Maybe we'll have to go with weasles and hoary marmot's instead.

e2: Moonwalk, I think you're correct, and thus I'm saddened to think this fortress won't have a menagerie of useless animals to throw against our enemies.

PotatoManJack fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Jun 25, 2012

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

PotatoManJack posted:

There is no 'can't'

All it takes is 5 seconds and adding in the [TRAINABLE] tag in the code. I usually add [TRAINABLE] to every single animal when I first load up a new version of DF.

Well, except that unless your fort is in an evil swamp then every beakdog you ever see will already have been trained. Trained to hate you.

lesbian baphomet
Nov 30, 2011

Don't you also need to re-world-gen for edits to creature raws to take effect?

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

MoonwalkInvincible posted:

Don't you also need to re-world-gen for edits to creature raws to take effect?

[TRAINABLE] is one of the ones you can add to an in-progress fort.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.
Regarding dinotalk, aren't theropods, dimetradons, and pterodactyls already a base type of procedurally generated creature? If we're really lucky, we could have one of those as a forgotten beast eventually show up!

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

SourceElement posted:

Regarding dinotalk, aren't theropods, dimetradons, and pterodactyls already a base type of procedurally generated creature? If we're really lucky, we could have one of those as a forgotten beast eventually show up!

Yeah there are tons of creatures in the game that only show up as procedurally generated monsters. I'm pretty sure one of the forgotten beasts in gemclod was a dinosaur.

Qwo
Sep 27, 2011
Yeah, an ankylosaur I think.

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

I believe Nol was some kind of pterosaur. I only remember this because I drew a picture of him I never posted.

Krysmphoenix
Jul 29, 2010

PublicOpinion posted:

I believe Nol was some kind of pterosaur. I only remember this because I drew a picture of him I never posted.

Nol was definately not a Pterosaur, he was a Six-Legged Warthog.

PotatoManJack
Nov 9, 2009

PublicOpinion posted:

[TRAINABLE] is one of the ones you can add to an in-progress fort.

So we're agreed then, every single animal should be given the [TRAINABLE] tag in the raws.

I can't wait to see some badass hunting mountain goats.

Diploid
Oct 21, 2010

PublicOpinion posted:

Siga was the pterosaur.

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Whoops. Right. And I actually posted the picture I did of Nol. Gotta get more sleep.

Pozzo
Nov 4, 2009

What is like posting in a thread?
A Ballista, that's what!

Boing posted:

Overseers will have better things to do than to screenshot every single migrant's stats.

Didn't bother with dwarfing but just poking my head up to say: THIS THIS HERE THIS BIT THIS IS SO RIGHT

THIS

HiHo ChiRho posted:

You have been struck down by a vampire zombie dust husk velociraptor!

fake edit: Hey, where's Pozzo?

Lurking quietly. Haha, cripes that song's ridiculous. Forgot about that.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

TildeATH posted:

Grey Hunter, are you gunning for God of LPs and lovely 3D models?

That's beautiful. Care to give a short post on how interested folks could do the same?

Its fairly simple. I have a (old, left on my computer by a friend) copy of 3DS max, and the process is like this.

1) I open up the different levels of the map as posted. I then select the open space and delete it, turning it black, the land is turned white, making a displacement map.I then put some blur on this to smooth the edges.
2) I start Max, make a plane with the same dimensions as the image, and the same number of squares.
3) I use the displace modifier with a height of about 10 to add the lowest level, I then keep adding displace modifiers for each level working my way to the top.
4) Wack on a terrible texture for the ground.
5) Add some more planes at water level, give them a blue colour, some opacity and a nice shine. Bingo, water!
6) Download a free (low poly) tree model from the internet, merge it with the map and then copy the thing about 100 times across the map.
7) add a light and shadows, spend ten minutes cursing the thing.
8) try and find a good camera angle to render the thing. post the images, then nearly forget to save the map.
9) bask in the adulation of the masses.
10) Profit!

I hope that makes some sense.

Nidhhogg
Feb 5, 2010
After a bit of tinkering and size changes I have some prelims.

:spergin: on that last one. Nothing in it yet, but that can wait. I'll do the terrain next and post an overhead.

sum
Nov 15, 2010

This is probably too late now, but 2 block high ceilings offend my minecraft sensibilities. I always feel like my head is scraping against the ceiling.

lesbian baphomet
Nov 30, 2011

i poo poo trains posted:

This is probably too late now, but 2 block high ceilings offend my minecraft sensibilities. I always feel like my head is scraping against the ceiling.

Counterpoint: Dwarves!

(But yeah, I totally understand where you're coming from. They work as pictures of a hole in a wall built by short people, but I'm glad I'm not actually moving through there in-game.)

lesbian baphomet fucked around with this message at 08:10 on Jun 25, 2012

sum
Nov 15, 2010

Haha I hadn't considered that. Keep it in for realism's sake.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

DF 2012 has this whole training thing now. Like where you train stuff and your civ has things that are "familiar" which can be domesticated and if you train a thing to maximum trainedness then its offspring will be domesticatable.

Given that its a new feature I did not want to mess with what is trainable - better to show off the new feature as it works in the base game (this time).

Someone who knows the feature better can explain better I'm sure.

Pickled Tink
Apr 28, 2012

Have you heard about First Dog? It's a very good comic I just love.

Also, wear your bike helmets kids. I copped several blows to the head but my helmet left me totally unscathed.

Finally you should check out First Dog as it's a good comic I like it very much.
Fun Shoe
Theres a page on animal training on the Dwarf Fortress Wiki.

I spent most of my time in the most recent version doing adventure mode so I have yet to fiddle with it. Hopefully that will give you a foundation Leperflesh.

Rurik
Mar 5, 2010

Thief
Warrior
Gladiator
Grand Prince

Internet Kraken posted:

People ask me a lot of questions. Questions like "what is the best way to cripple a goblin so you can terrify all his friends?". Course having been killing for over 65 years I know the answer, but I ain't inclined to tell no one. Why? Cause that ain't the question you should be asking me. Any dumb dwarf who's spent a year in the army can tell you how to fight a goblin, cause that's all we do. Now instead you should be asking "how are we gonna stop a horde of undead ghouls from tearing us apart?".

The answer? Kill everything. Every last animal that ain't been tamed needs to die. Why? Cause they ain't smart enough to stay out of the evil. I mean the real evil, not some silly moral concept of right and wrong. The kind that poisons the land and twists critters into horrible things. That is the biggest threat to all civilized folk. But of course nobody listens to me. They just say I'm a crazy old man and go back to killing goblins and elves and whoever else offended them at the time. But I know what the real threat is. One day, the sky is gonna be covered in undead kestrels and all the dwarves will come running to me and shout "Save us!" and I'll whisper "No."

That's how the worlds gonna end. Might as well kill some zombies before it happens though.

Your entry reminded me of something, so I changed it a bit.

By the way, I imagined what would be if civilizations in DF entered modern era at some point and developed nuclear weapons. At first point it might seem wise to nuke evil areas, because their objectively evil, but instead of a corrupting, poisonous wasteland you'd have a corrupting, poisonous and radioactive wasteland. :haw: Imagine all the mutant zombies and dust husks.

The addition of the undead actually expands the possibilities of what might kill this fort. Should we hold a lottery? Everyone could bet if it's the undead, Forgotten Beasts, goblin sieges or demons that do it.

Somehow this conveys the feeling of space under ground much better than actual DF screenshots from much larger fortress areas do. It's eerie. :3:

Oh, and a DF LP with dinosaurs in unforeseeable future would be really cool. Jurassic Fort.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

I like this a lot. One other thing that bothers me about tilesets is how I can't reflexively see where the tile grid is anymore. I have to count borders from some fixed terrain piece like a shrub or a tree or a corridor corner.

This answers my current and also previous gripes - look at those nice, uniform colors.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
For the record, [TRAINABLE] doesn't let you tame animal. [TRAINABLE] allows an animal to be trained for either war or hunting. if it doesn't also have the [PET] tag it won't matter since you wouldn't be able to tame them in the first place.

Most animals already have either [PET] or [PET_EXOTIC], the later of which is bugged (yet was still applied to new creatures :psydwarf:) due to the dungeon master never arriving. A lot of them don't have [TRAINABLE], and honestly I don't think they should. It'd be pretty silly for dwarves to be able to herd stuff like war porcupines into battle.

Rurik posted:

Your entry reminded me of something, so I changed it a bit.

I thought of that but decided against it since I feel stupid referencing stuff I've never read.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Internet Kraken posted:

For the record, [TRAINABLE] doesn't let you tame animal. [TRAINABLE] allows an animal to be trained for either war or hunting. if it doesn't also have the [PET] tag it won't matter since you wouldn't be able to tame them in the first place.

Most animals already have either [PET] or [PET_EXOTIC], the later of which is bugged (yet was still applied to new creatures :psydwarf:) due to the dungeon master never arriving. A lot of them don't have [TRAINABLE], and honestly I don't think they should. It'd be pretty silly for dwarves to be able to herd stuff like war porcupines into battle.

I thought of that but decided against it since I feel stupid referencing stuff I've never read.

What about the time that overseer stuck 50 angry war gophers in a cage as a trap?

Pickled Tink
Apr 28, 2012

Have you heard about First Dog? It's a very good comic I just love.

Also, wear your bike helmets kids. I copped several blows to the head but my helmet left me totally unscathed.

Finally you should check out First Dog as it's a good comic I like it very much.
Fun Shoe

Internet Kraken posted:

The dungeon master was removed in 0.34.06 when the training mechanics change came in. Now you can train wild animals, but they revert over time. Check out the devlog. The relevant entries are down in march, starting on the seventh.

DF devlog 03/07/2012 posted:

We're going to start mixing in fixes for older problems to these releases now, starting with fortress exotic animal taming. The dungeon master is gone, replaced by training knowledge at the civilization and fortress level. I put in that infrastructure this morning, with the ability to view it from the Animals screen, and next I'll be adding the training status of individual creatures and changing how training jobs work (after another crayon run!). Right from the beginning, you'll be able to attempt to tame any critter you capture that is eligible (those with PET/PET_EXOTIC, i.e. most stuff). The trick will be that if you go out of your civilization's comfort zone, your fort might end up like a Fatal Attractions episode.

Also, that devlog is often times hilarious. The log for 04/12/2012 is awesome.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Pickled Tink posted:

The dungeon master was removed in 0.34.06 when the training mechanics change came in. Now you can train wild animals, but they revert over time. Check out the devlog. The relevant entries are down in march, starting on the seventh.

Also, that devlog is often times hilarious. The log for 04/12/2012 is awesome.

Guh, I completely forgot that he changed the function of [PET_EXOTIC]. I was just so used to it being broken and pointless that him changing it was pretty shocking.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker

Internet Kraken posted:

It'd be pretty silly for dwarves to be able to herd stuff like war porcupines into battle.

Bah! Bring on the Warcupines!

Antitonic
Sep 24, 2011

Invented By Gandhi

Internet Kraken posted:

It'd be pretty silly for dwarves to be able to herd stuff like war porcupines into battle.

You say "silly", I say "GREATEST THING EVER". :black101:

Better yet, war-toads with guard-serpents.

EDIT: Well, I guess I know what I'm doing with my next fortress...

Syenite
Jun 21, 2011
Grimey Drawer
I wonder if the flying creature AI works with trained stuff like giant eagles. :clint:

Edit: Also you guys might find this useful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Shukaro posted:

I wonder if the flying creature AI works with trained stuff like giant eagles. :clint:

The AI for flying creatures gets broken when you tame them. At least, that's what the wiki says. I've noticed some tame creatures will fly but only in specific circumstances. A goose kept flying into my cave kraken breeding chamber and stealing the next box inside it.

• Locked thread