Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"
I know you said 'never again' Leperflesh, but I trust you'll forgive me if somewhere deep down I cherish the hope that one day you'll return to the DFLP saddle.

(Also, it'd have been a damned travesty if this thread hadn't got to 200 pages.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wordbird Raven
Sep 7, 2011

I'm not what you would call an artist.
What a fantastic LP this has been. Fantastic work, Leperflesh - and, once more, to all the Overseers of Bronzestabbed. It's been a pleasure to read.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Now open the demon prison and drop the sword :unsmigghh:.

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Now open the demon prison and drop the sword :unsmigghh:.

Since all the saves are now available - do it yourself! And let us know how it goes!

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

GrimRevenant posted:

Oh hey, now that I’m not rushing to get this out, I did have one small correction to make. And gently caress it, might as well at least try to make more work for poor Leperflesh finally get one in on the official record… :shobon:

This is a corrective plaque. It menaces with spikes of pedantry and coprolite. It is undated.

I, ‘GrimRevenant' Avuzsod (Minemists), as the Fortress’s most pedantic engraver, am by the nature of my position, ethical code of my profession, and with an eye towards posterity obligated to point out that the name of the fortress, while here correctly carved in the Human runes as “Bronzestabbed”, is in Dwarven runes actually inscribed ❮Kɪʟʀᴜᴅᴢᴀᴛ❯ when the engraving is done correctly by a competently trained and certified engraver who is not rushing the job.

Once again, that is ❮Kɪʟʀᴜᴅᴢᴀᴛ❯. With an ‹ɪ›. :colbert:

There is a further annotation to the plaque in the same hand, obviously added in haste.

Thanks to the literal «genius loci» spirit of the fortress, ‘Pickled Tink' Kilrudzat, for his assistance in ensuring that both his and the fortress’s names were correctly inscribed for posterity. May he ¿live? a thousand years!

(I kid, I kid! You did great work, Leperflesh, especially with the final updates. Still, dorf!me can’t let something like that go unremarked— especially since she’s highly unlikely to cop punishment duty now.) :v:

Hahah nice catch. I'm sure it's not my only typo, but I guess I'd better get the fortress's name right, right?

But wait! If I correct it now, your journal entry won't make any sense to someone who reads it later! :ohdear:

Ghostwoods posted:

I know you said 'never again' Leperflesh, but I trust you'll forgive me if somewhere deep down I cherish the hope that one day you'll return to the DFLP saddle.

(Also, it'd have been a damned travesty if this thread hadn't got to 200 pages.)

I might do another LP at some point, but it probably won't be dwarf fortress. As much as I love this game, and the stories it generates, I'd rather try something new.

GrimRevenant
Mar 28, 2011

Je Reviendrai.

Leperflesh posted:

Hahah nice catch. I'm sure it's not my only typo, but I guess I'd better get the fortress's name right, right?

But wait! If I correct it now, your journal entry won't make any sense to someone who reads it later! :ohdear:
A point worthy of consideration… OK. I am sure of these two things: that gypsum plaster, “the engraver’s white-out”, covers a multitude of sins, (or a small “DZ” plaque epoxied over the top, or… &c.)
and that my dwarf is entirely anal-retentive enough to leave a note stating that she was was the one to correct it. :eng101:

also that my post totally said Kilruzdat twice! before Pickled Tink corrected my attempted correction, thus confirming Skitt’s Law is very much in effect and that he knows how to spell his own name better than I do… lucky the [plaster was still wet/plaque still had engraving space] (strike whichever is inappropriate) :v:

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Hey guys, I uploaded all the seasonal saves! They're all up on the overseer site. The seasonal save files only contain the /data/save folders, so you need a full install of DF 0.37.11 plus Phoebus and Lepermod to use them. You can easily get that by grabbing any of the regular overseer save files, since they contain a full install.

Arbiter Sands
Feb 14, 2011

Can I tell you how unreasonably happy it made me that I made it in on the very last update (epilogue aside)? As long as the list was, I figured I never had a chance of making it in. This totally made my day. :)

(I was Draconius before I changed my username like, forever ago)

And I didn't contribute too much, but I've been an active reader the whole time. Its been quite a ride. Well done, everyone! :)

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

Where angels and generals fear to tread.

Arbiter Sands posted:

...wait, I finally made it to the last page? I feel both accomplished and oddly empty now. I don't suppose this fort will go on long enough for me to get dwarfed (only ~300 people ahead of me. But hey, things happen, who knows?) but I shall continue following along all the same. Its been quite a read thus far, anyway.

Mission accomplished :v:

Abongination
Aug 18, 2010

Life, it's the shit that happens while you're waiting for moments that never come.
Pillbug
Thought I posted here about a week ago but must have never hit send, I am one of the lurking goons who silently proclaim judgement without ever a word.

Thanks for all the effort you've put into this Leperf(ish)lesh and all of the overseers over the years. This whole story has been incredible and well paced and I found every update interesting. The narrative and history of the fort is well varied and appropriately insane and I think you did an amazing job of tying it all together.

Hats off to everyone involved and I will visit the new DF14 thread sometime soon once I covince myself I have the free time haha.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Thanks everyone! It's cool to hear from the lurkers too, and I'm glad you were each able to find something to enjoy. I think the dwarfing thing is a big part of what pulls people in, and having your dwarf mentioned - however trivial what they're up to might be - is loads of fun.

I have done no work at all in terms of getting this thing archived, but I will get to it eventually.

Pickled Tink
Apr 28, 2012

Have you heard about First Dog? It's a very good comic I just love.

Also, wear your bike helmets kids. I copped several blows to the head but my helmet left me totally unscathed.

Finally you should check out First Dog as it's a good comic I like it very much.
Fun Shoe

Leperflesh posted:

I have done no work at all in terms of getting this thing archived, but I will get to it eventually.
Oh gods. I'm going to have to start again.

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

OhCrap posted:

You're too kind, but I respectfully disagree.. I've read so many of the older LP's and there are far cleverer minds than mine around, including yours :)

Reading back on my turn, I can think of many criticisms. I really enjoyed it and I'm glad others did too (and don't get me wrong, I appreciate the kind words!) but I think it will pale beside the rest! I can't wait to see the next chapter of the story, and what the new overseer brings to it.

Bad Munki posted:

I think the biggest part of your turn was getting the crowd excited. That's a hard thing to do, and maintain. In large part, it was because of your really aggressive update schedule. That helps a TON. But also it was just a good job at making it accessible and interesting. That's what subsequent overseers are trying to follow.

A year or two from now, when someone reads the archive, who knows how well it'll hold up, but for the active, living thread? It was just what the LP needed.

Reporting in two years later to confirm that OhCrap was in fact Best Overseer.

Arbiter Sands
Feb 14, 2011

Leperflesh posted:

Thanks everyone! It's cool to hear from the lurkers too, and I'm glad you were each able to find something to enjoy. I think the dwarfing thing is a big part of what pulls people in, and having your dwarf mentioned - however trivial what they're up to might be - is loads of fun.

Its really kind of silly how much of a thrill it is, but yeah.. it is what it is!

TremendousMajestic
Mar 8, 2007

bye bye everybody bye bye!
I'm not really into the forums anymore, and this is the first time I've logged in since late summer, specifically to read the end of Bronzestabbed.

At least, I was hoping it was the end, anyway. I figured there was a slight chance it would still be going :)

Fantastic way to wrap it up, Leper. Thanks for all your hard work and dedication to the LP. It really showed.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Hey cool, glad you enjoyed it!

I still intend to archive this, but I need(ed) a break from Bronzestabbed for a while. And, I have Archives access, so I don't feel any particular huge urgency.

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Leperflesh, when you archive this you should really add some sort of note in the introduction about how ... wordy the LP is.

You and the other overseers are great writers, and the mountain of audience contributions were also mostly well-written, but there is a mind-meltingly large volume of written words in this LP, a great deal of it to do with stuff that is not actually in the game. I am having a bit of difficulty explaining exactly what I mean, but your overseer turn is exemplary of it: the pages of text that add to the story but which had nothing to do with what was on the screen. I guess what I am trying to say is that some of the updates and a great many of the journal entries read like cracking open a lore novel, as opposed to a description of what's actually going on in dwarf fortress dot exe, and again while the writing was mostly very good it sometimes makes for a very overwhelming wall of holy poo poo lookit all dem words.

That's my two cents, anyway.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Nietzschean posted:

Leperflesh, when you archive this you should really add some sort of note in the introduction about how ... wordy the LP is.

You and the other overseers are great writers, and the mountain of audience contributions were also mostly well-written, but there is a mind-meltingly large volume of written words in this LP, a great deal of it to do with stuff that is not actually in the game. I am having a bit of difficulty explaining exactly what I mean, but your overseer turn is exemplary of it: the pages of text that add to the story but which had nothing to do with what was on the screen. I guess what I am trying to say is that some of the updates and a great many of the journal entries read like cracking open a lore novel, as opposed to a description of what's actually going on in dwarf fortress dot exe, and again while the writing was mostly very good it sometimes makes for a very overwhelming wall of holy poo poo lookit all dem words.

That's my two cents, anyway.

Counterpoint: There's only so many ways to write "And then I built a thing but because dwarves are idiots it took ages."

Pickled Tink
Apr 28, 2012

Have you heard about First Dog? It's a very good comic I just love.

Also, wear your bike helmets kids. I copped several blows to the head but my helmet left me totally unscathed.

Finally you should check out First Dog as it's a good comic I like it very much.
Fun Shoe
You have no loving idea how long it took me to make the railgun because of the phenomenon Veloxyll described.

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

Pickled Tink posted:

You have no loving idea how long it took me to make the railgun because of the phenomenon Veloxyll described.

Building an intricate series of deathtraps surrounding a magma prison took for-drat ever.

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Veloxyll posted:

Counterpoint: There's only so many ways to write "And then I built a thing but because dwarves are idiots it took ages."

Sure. and I am not at all trying to say that this is a bad LP. It is excellent! It is just very, very wordy, and might do with a mention of that in the archival introduction post. It could also probably do with having journals and updates split up into tiers the way gemclod is on goondorfs:

Though to argue the point with you, there have been plenty of LPs where a much shorter word count of narrative has produced just as good a story.

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

Nietzschean posted:

Sure. and I am not at all trying to say that this is a bad LP. It is excellent! It is just very, very wordy, and might do with a mention of that in the archival introduction post. It could also probably do with having journals and updates split up into tiers the way gemclod is on goondorfs:

Though to argue the point with you, there have been plenty of LPs where a much shorter word count of narrative has produced just as good a story.

You have to remember that this LP started after Star Guarded's amazing Matul Remrit, with its spectacular writing and strange language and solid storytelling, so I think Leperflesh and many of the overseers (definitely myself) were going for a more literary LP as a result.

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I can definitely see the influence of Brave Mule, especially in the way Leperflesh wrote dwarf dialogue in his updates.

Again, all of this is fine; it just could use some advertising/warning for potential readers.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
There's a really good book on this topic: "Rejecting Boatmurdered: A Discussion of Bravemule's Influence on the Bronzestabbed Saga" with a preface that details the rise of dwarven literary criticism in the post-Gemclod era.

It's referenced in: "Debating the Meta: Why Won't Nemo Just Die Already?", "Beware the Journals: Medical Records of Post Letsplay Fanfic Disorder", "HEED! - 10 Easy Steps to Avoid Purple Prose", and "The Little Overseer That Could (Engrave Cheese): An Exploration of Ludonarrative Dissonance in Dwarven Art"

:v:

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

my dad posted:

"The Little Overseer That Could (Engrave Cheese): An Exploration of Ludonarrative Dissonance in Dwarven Art"

I can't believe you included this given its neanderthal views of proto-feminist interactive fiction. I much prefer: "Simulacra, Simulacra and Simulacra: From Kovast to Backpack to Butterfly in Dwarf Fortress LP" wherein the author more clearly understands the role of perspectival distortion via the classic Sankis Device.

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

my dad posted:

"HEED! - 10 Easy Steps to Avoid Purple Prose"

OhCrap was the Best Overseer.

Abongination
Aug 18, 2010

Life, it's the shit that happens while you're waiting for moments that never come.
Pillbug
I prefer the basics.

gibb3h
Jul 15, 2014

Abongination posted:

I prefer the basics.

:chanpop:

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I love you all, so very very much.

Nietzschean posted:

Yes, I definitely wrote too many words. I promise not to do it again.

And, the first three posts of this thread are already organized as above: my intention would be to organize an archive similarly.

A warning about the ridiculous length is also not a bad idea. Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OhCrap
Oct 14, 2011

I MAKE VICTORY!

Abongination posted:

I prefer the basics.

Oh my.

• Locked thread