Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

Tunicate posted:

A common trend in world gen is goblins getting assimilated into dorf civilizations and then massively outbreeding them, resulting in a 'dwarven' civ that contains no dwarves.

This, pretty much. Though the metaphor with the syndrome and "washing off the filth" hints that Bronzestabbed probably isn't gonna be the most tolerant fortress around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
No god of suicide this time, but Grandfather Ugath should be a suitable replacement.

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

PoptartsNinja posted:

Speaking of, did my dinosaurs make it in?

Also:

Did you fill this in? :ohdear:

Not that it really matters seeing as there's no doors on the fortress.

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

Colon V posted:

Do those of us who pick up the game after you get to push ourselves further up the dwarf list, Leper?

Look at this.

Look at this sentence.

You really think you have what it takes to be an overseer, asking permission like that? A real overseer just does whatever they want, whenever they want, and more importantly to whoever they want.

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

Bad Munki posted:

Definitely wasn't Gemclod. We had some broken saves that forced a little bit of replay, more than once I believe, but when it came time for Gemclod to fall, it fell with style.

Hell, some people even accidentally triggered something that made the game run at a ridiculously low frame rate. Didn't stop 'em from finishing their turn and passing that save to the overseers that came after them!

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
Corpses. Skeletons. Dead elves (which may or may not also be corpses and/or skeletons).

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

DarthXaos posted:

Except Gemclod, I believe King SirPenguin was the leader of that one

In name, maybe, but everyone knows the true leader of the dwarve was Emperor Yeol the First, who personally slew the great beasts that threatened to bring about Gemclod's end in singular combat and then ushered in a new golden age for the dwarves.

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

Sam. posted:

Those spears are made out of wood. How did they manage to get through i poo poo trains's bronze armor with just a pointy stick?

They did not. The militia died from the splinters.

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

OhCrap posted:

I also just noticed that baby Male Man continues to be carried around by Idles. Idles has been treated and has a nice cast on. Male Man has not. No wonder he's unhappy ..

It builds character.

Straight bones that do not look like those of a malformed abominations Ugath would call his own son, not so much.

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
I just realized I forgot to pick a gender when applying for a Dwarfing(tm). Since I'm pretty close to being slaughtered by goblins arriving, could it be changed to male?

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
I'm also really hoping this doesn't become a vote, because my "kill anyone any time I drat well please and dump the bodies in the river" platform might not go over too well with the electorate.

Then again, the dead can probably vote for this, and the more the merrier and all that, so there's my base I guess.

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
Wait, since when are skills influenced by a dwarf's personality and physiology? I mean, stuff like healing faster and all that I obviously know about, but I didn't know individual labor skills were influenced by anything.

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

Bad Munki posted:

Wait, what? There are other ways?!

This changes everything.

Not if you're a festering sack of pus, I'm afraid.

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

SirPhoebos posted:

Lets think positive, folks-think of all the thanksgiving leftovers we now have! :iamafag:

AND now there's plenty of free bedrooms for the next wave of migrants!

Speaking of which, is it me or it's been a while since there have been migrants?

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
Let's see here, I've got poor focus, poor spatial senses, very bad intuition and lousy intellect. I also think that intellectual pursuits are a waste of energy.

And I'm a goddamn surgeon.

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

Diary of Yeol Bellsfissures, Surgeon
19th Slate 238

Bronzestabbed is in sight. Our journey is at an end, and I hope it was not in vain, I hope that I will find what I seek here in this young fortress. Food and shelter, of course, but not only that.

Opportunities for wealth and advancement for highly skilled, hardworking dwarves in the medical field. The chance to be part of something important. Authorities which do not know the meaning of "malpractice".

Accidents happen after all, and despite the seven years I had to spend hiding from "the authorities" wandering the wilds, I still maintain that a mace is a perfectly valid surgical tool in some circumstances, godsdammnit. You won't get me to back down on that point, no matter how much "argumenting" and "evidence" and "common sense you loving quack" you throw at me. Suppose you've just opened someone, and it turns out the rotten piece you need to remove is under some bones. What now? Lesser surgeons might give up, and that's just stupid. If you're making a statue, you need to mine stone before you can shape it. It's the same thing here! You need to break the bones before you can heal the patient! You break every godsdamn bone in that part of the body (ribcage I think one of the other "doctors" called it) and then you can remove whatever needs to be removed. And how do you break those bones? With a mace!

I doesn't take a genius.

'Course that particular patient didn't make it, and him being a Count might have had something to do with everyone in the room freaking out so much when I started breaking the bones and the blood flew everywhere, but that's just medicine for you, you can't save everyone. Lots of trial and error. Then again, if they'd actually made the surgical maces I'd ordered earlier and stayed calm, things might have turned out differently.

Just not everyone sees things the way I do, I guess. Before I fled left voluntarily, do you know what they were calling me? "Ye Olde Butchere". Not just the dwarves, but the goblin "helpers" too. Frankly I'm surprised goblins can even string that many syllables together, not with those cranial features. But anyway, let's just hope whatever doctors they have around here are open minded about new medical techniques.

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

Rawkking posted:

So Fiddler Three is out of the hospital and the dwarven justice system is not willing to punish Leperfish. I could do something with burrows to simulate some sort of punishment (forced week of exile to the caverns? north of the river? house arrest?).

I'm not willing to intentionally kill a dwarf or anything amazingly endangering (that's against the overseer rules as well, I think), but I'm interested in hearing ideas.

Oh for gently caress's sake.

The only "Overseer rules" I know of are those the goddamn overseer makes. And that's you. Who gives a poo poo what the thread or the founder or whoever else wants? Ultimately, what matters is how much people enjoy reading this. The less you have to pull up the curtains to show what's happening in the background, the better.

Slaughter whoever you drat well please if it makes good narrative.

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

Pickled Tink posted:

They brought Ogres, who are building destroyers as well. At this point there isn't a way to keep the enemy out unless Rawkking has a pair of spare doors to slam up behind the existing ones at the front gate to confuse their stupid pathfinding.

Or, y'know, just loving wall off the entrance.

No shame in a bit of turtling for survival.

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

Diary of Yeol Bellsfissures, SurgeonGODSDAMNED MACEDWARF
1st Granite, 240

A macedwarf! They've made me a macedwarf! Do they not realize the caliber of the medical talent they are wasting?

Sending a surgeon of my skills on the battlefield to fight is just about the worst possible course of action which could have been taken! Not only am I not using my valuable skills, but I am risking death at the very moment I would be the most needed! It is complete and utter madness!

Yes, I have used a mace for the purpose of fighting for a few years when I was wandering the wilds, but I'm not exactly a professional. That's not my job! The training is the worst, too, not only has this "New Year's Meal" been the first opportunity I've had to write in my diary in months, but I keep getting told I am "competent", that I was born for this! Well thank you for thinking the most I can aspire to in this world is beating things up indiscriminately all day. I swear they're doing this on purpose. Of course I won't say anything. No use in giving them the satisfaction of thinking they're getting to me.

Through all of this my dear wife has been supportive. She says she doesn't believe the stories she heard about the "mace incident". It wasn't an incident, it was medicine! But she wouldn't understand, and so I won't correct her. She has been good to me.

Still, I can't let this go on. I need to find a way into a position which is more in line with my skills. Somehow.

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
Frankly I doubt a toddler would do any worse than the average overseer, but I suppose that doesn't make for the best narrative.

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
Welp, time to stay comfortably in the command center die.

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
Oh, please, what are the odds of that happening?

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

Diary of Yeol Bellsfissures, Battlefield Surgeon
4th Malachite, 240

Well.

I suppose this whole "maceman" thing may yet have a silver lining to it.

I have invented a whole new medical field today.

I call it brain surgery.

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

Diary of Yeol Bellsfissures, Battlefield Surgeon
2nd Obsidian 240

I wish that I could write more often diary, but time likes to make itself scarce. Training for war, and the birth of a daughter, provide no help.

In my last entry, I mentioned that in the heat of battle I had discovered a whole new medical subfield, "brain surgery". I've told other soldiers about this, and while the name has stuck, they use it to refer to my fighting style. They think I was joking.

I was not.

Of course I don't think that the blunt application of force to the skull is medically viable. But consider this, diary: we have known for centuries (two, specifically) that the brain is where the mind is, or if you're more religious, where it is tied to the body. But medical science has advanced, and there is more to the story. The qualities of the mind are determined by the shape of the brain, and we now know that, in turn, the shape of the brain affects the shape of the skull. One can look at any creature in this world, and through the physiology of its skull, know its character better than a dwarf who interacted with that creature for decades.

But consider this, diary: if a dwarf's personality is tied to the myriad bumps and valleys of his skull, could we not change that personality by changing the shape of the skull, and thus that of the brain? Could we not take the criminal and make him a hardworking dwarf once more? Could we not take the religious fanatic and make him overcome his attachment to those fairytales he so wrongly believes? Could we not cure the otherwise terminally melancholic?

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

Leperflesh posted:

Congratulations YeOldeButchere, youuuuuuu are our next Overseer!

You poor fucks.

EDIT: ^^^ I think you mean trepanatious. Because that's how I'm feeling.

Deep Dish Fuckfest fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Sep 6, 2012

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

Another patrol round done. More of my life I'm never getting back. And seeing how I'm still a macedwarf, and the kind of sieges we've been getting, life is in short supply.

But hey, with patrol duty the most likely thing to happen is dying of boredom. Want to know how it goes, brain?

Alright, you start on the tower, where you've got a majestic view of the Fields of Vice.

You might think some unholy swamp isn't what you'd want to see, but you're one of the few dwarves who'll actually see your doom coming when whatever lies there decides to end Bronzestabbed! That's a good thing, right? Once you're done contemplating your own mortality and cursing the gods, you can start your round by going down.

That smell is rotting ogres. Well, more than that, but that's the dominant fragrance these days. Usually I curse the gods again, but I've been doing that for a while now, so that's optional. Take note of the bone pile. If you're like me, you hate bones because they always get in your way when you're trying to remove things from sick dwarves. Well, not these days because I haven't practiced in a year. And not those bones because they're not in a dwarf, or ever were. But I digress.

Going down further, you reach the "main gate". Also the only gate. You'll notice I've also been referring to "the" tower. Take a guess why.

But what do you expect from a child overseer? Doesn't really excuse those that came before him, though... One of them was thoughtful enough to try to cover the dirt with stone, but that didn't seem to have caught on with their successors, because you can still see the winding, mossy passages leading to empty rooms or who knows where. Go down a level and...

More dirt. Old rooms from Bronzestabbed's first years.

Another level, more dirt. And some passage I've never even been in, and I'm supposed to be keeping this place safe.

Limestone, finally! Still, not much around here.

Then we reach what is possibly the only decent room in the entire fortress, the dining hall. If only it wasn't next to the row of smoke-belching smelters and forges. You also have the piles of malachite, because that's one thing this place isn't lacking. Iron, though, you won't find that in Bronzestabbed.

Speaking of iron, here we find piles and piles of limestone, which in other circumstances would have been prized for steelmaking. Here we make stone trinkets with it. Same with the cobaltite that's scattered about, too. And with the...

Wait, what is that stone?

It's...

Oh dear.

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
Not done with the first gameplay update, but I've got some text instead. Hopefully it'll do.

Bronzestabbed's Dining Hall, Obsidian 28th 240

"-and so a new overseer must be chosen for the coming year."

His faith in Bronzestabbed's purpose had been tested, just as some dwarves' faith in him had been tested, but Leperfish was still the closest thing to a statesman Bronzestabbed had. It then fell on him to ensure that the smooth transition of power would occur from one overseer to the next. That was the purpose of the meeting he organized for the dwarves of Bronzestabbed, excluding those who worship Ugath.

"I have a candidate in mind, but if any of you have proposals to make for qualified"- the tone of his voice changed almost imperceptibly for that last word -"overseers, or feel that any dwarf should be excluded from the possibility of becoming overseer, then-"

"I DO!"

The shout came from Yeol, who already was making his way from the back of the crowd to where Leperfish was. Once he got there, he turned to the crowd and began:

"I object to those who would sacrifice Bronzestabbed for their own wealth becoming overseer!"

"Nutter." was muttered in the otherwise silent crowd.

"I heard that. But I don't blame you. I too wouldn't accept such accusations without proof. But here is proof enough!"

Yeol plunged his hand into a backpack, and when he removed it, he was holding a fist-sized chunk of pale-blue rock. It took a few seconds for the crowd to recognize the stone.

"It's exactly what you think it is. I found it in the stockpile, amongst piles of limestone and cobaltite. Probably misplaced as microline. But then, if we have been mining nigh-legendary metals in Bronzestabbed, why do we not know about this? Why is our militia forced to fight with bronze weapons? Where is the vein?"

A persistent murmur was now coming from the crowd, when somebody began "The Ugathers! They must be the ones who-"

"The Ugathers," Yeol interrupted, "regard the adamantine" - hearing the word seemed to quiet the crowd - "as an herald of doom. They would not willingly extract it."

"But they're hypocrit-", another voice in the crowd began before being interrupted again.

"If they did have access to adamantine, and were half the hypocrites you claim they are, then we would already have been slaughtered by weapons we have no defense against. Not that they would have been wrong to do so after the way you all treated them for begging a different master than you do."

The crowd was now silent. Some in shame, some simply because they did not know what to say.

"The truth, as I see it, is this: some unscrupulous dwarves in the shadow whispered to the Toddleseer, to persecute the Ugathers as a distraction, so that none would notice when they tried to extract adamantine to keep as their own.

But they've failed.

And as far as you all know, by being the one who brought this to light, I am the only one you can trust for this coming year."

There was now open discussion in the crowd, which lasted for minutes before quieting down.

"Aye, that's all good,", someone in the crowd said, "but what will you do if you become overseer?"

Yeol hadn't thought this far ahead. He expected that the discovery of the adamantine would be all he'd needed to escape life as a macedwarf and become overseer, and so he went with the first thing he thought of:

"I'll, uh... I'll double booze production?"

The cheer was heard all the way to Ugathville.

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

Granite 1st 241

If you ever told me I'd one day be overseer when I first came to Bronzestabbed, I'd have dissected you. Partly because it seemed I'd been sentenced to militia duty for life, and partly because who the hell would want to be overseer of this place?

But having seen what riches it truly holds, I can say I've changed my mind.

My first act as overseer of Bronzestabbed is to end this pointless division between dwarves.

From this day on, Ugathville is no more.

I know I can't simply erase a year of persecution by decree. And forcing the Ugathers back to Bronzestabbed would be seen as an attempt at doing just that by some. So instead I'll let them come back as they please, and I'll help them do so.

Those who see wadding through the disgusting water - though frankly most of it isn't water - in a religious light can still do so, the rest can use the bridge.

This being done, the next thing I want to do is a complete inventory of the fortress.

Granite 2nd 241

My inventory was interrupted by shouts from the tunnel to Ugathville.

Death. In an unusual form for this place, but death nonetheless.

Granite 3rd 241

Fiendish murk on the far side of the river. Curse the gods for this.

Granite 5th 241

Improbable Lobster, one of the kids around here, has apparently been collecting materials for quite a while now and finally started to do something with them in a workshop. Hopefully it'll be something useful, or at least valuable.

Granite 8th 241

Some engravers were busy smoothing the basement of "Ugathville".

I've ordered them to direct their energies elsewhere. After all, there's no point in improving areas of Bronzestabbed which will end up empty anyhow.

Granite 10th 241

Improbable Lobster finished what he was working on.

It's probably not-

:stare:

I see bright things in your future, child.

Granite 16th 241

The inventory is done. We already had detailed records, but we needed someone to actually look at them. A lot of it is utterly worthless, like the barrels of ichor and blood (including grizzly bear blood, I hate those things) we keep with the food. We also happen to have 30 or so anvils. I understand that we don't have the materials to make more, but that's a bit excessive, and we should at least put them to use.

More importantly, the records show that iron isn't as rare around here as you'd think.

I haven't really found anything out of the ordinary, but then again, Leperfish can't know of everything when he maintains the records, and he can hide things if he wants.

The next task is finding out where the adamantine came from. I'll send the militia to explore the depths of the fortress. That's not something I thought I'd ever write, but with the state of this place "explore" is the right word.

Granite 17th 241

One of the notoriously unruly "child" around here has finally become an adult.

She still refuses to work, but the tests done at Star Guarded Memorial indicate she'd best be suited for "Potash Maker", "Lye Maker" or "Soaper", so we're not missing out on much.

Granite 18th 241

I've ordered the westernmost part of the dining hall to be engraved.

Our engravers are all supremely skilled, and I'm certain they will be able to bring our history to life.

Granite 24th 241

The farmers have finished tilling the soil for some new fields.

We're rather low on plants, and if I am to make good on my promise of doubling booze production, we'll need to grow more crops. It'll also put some otherwise empty rooms to use.

I've also ordered the cutting of all mature trees inside the fortress, and the gathering of any wild plants growing inside. They get in the way.

Granite 26th 241

More adamantine has been turning up.

This was found in a cloth stockpile near the entrance this morning. And one of the militia squads has found stairs below the fortress that lead even deeper into the earth. We're close.

1st Slate 241

Where to start?

We found the adamantine.

Far, far below the fortress. But that's not all we found.

Magma forges. But for me there was even more in store, because working in those forges I also found Nil Bastionhall.

My wife.

She was extracting strands from the raw adamantine. And being an armorer, she probably has forged armor there too. Armor that was never given to the militia. Armor that I could have used when fighting ogres. Armor that would have saved lives.

She knew about this all along. And she's not the only one. Those forges can't have been built by a handful of dwarves. Many, many more knew about this and yet they said nothing. Dwarves died fighting to protect this fortress, some because they lacked proper weapons and armor, and yet they said nothing.

Curse the gods.

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
I was surprised too when this happened. One of the most unnatural deaths I've seen for a dwarf.

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

2nd Slate 241

I still have trouble believing what I saw yesterday. That so many would conspire for their own gain.

Whatever happens, however, I am still overseer of Bronzestabbed, and until I figure out what should be done, my duty is still to keep this place running.

I've reinstated Markus_cz as chief medical dwarf today.

He's the one with the most experience in that position. As for Qword, I don't know exactly how he came to replace Markus in the first place, but I have some ideas. None of them cast him in a particularly good light, and given his poor medical skills and complete lack of competence at anything else, he's been relegated to hauling duty. And gods help him if he tries to wriggle out of it. He'll work like he's never worked before.

5th Slate 241

I've ordered more fortifications to be built.

Even that won't be enough, but it's an improvement at least. The pastures will now be protected, and this will give us a buffer where we can defend effectively without being in the fortress proper.

7th Slate 241

Fiendish murk. On our side of the river this time. I've been here long enough to know that it never gets any closer, but still, it unnerves me.

13th Slate 241

Migrants. Thirty nine of them, to be precise. Most of them will make a valuable addition to our workforce, but others... well...

How the hells did I end up overseer of the Mountainhomes of The Rare Ship?

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

Domattee posted:

He's trying to corrupt The Noble Work himself now that the other attempts have been discovered. The important question is whether the royal guard is loyal to him or to the queen.

Yeah, no, the text doesn't change depending on gender. We've got a queen, not a king.

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

thetruegentleman posted:

Does the queen get to remain an NPC, or does someone from the dwarf list get to be in charge?

NPC I'm afraid.

Also, can anyone tell me why my text is all broken in DF menus? It's happened in a couple of screenshots, but it was fairly minor so I didn't bother. The military screen is pretty much unusable, though. More than usual, I mean.

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

Migrant Update

Daeren

Sagan

Zebrin

Disproportionation

Dirty Frank

Zathril

Oski

GrimRevenant

Aston

Forer

Hardboiled

Rezam

Royce Zouks

White-Devil

Pierzak

Diploid

Hezelius

Cave Adapted

Fatfingers

Va'al

Immoral Hamster

Jabu

Kal909

Forever BWFC

SadBilly

Leykin

Dead Cow

Frederico de Soya

Brannock

Mad Wack

Mr. Vile

Tag Plastic

Brougal

Promontory

Schneeble

Thanqol Decadion

GrabbinPeels

Green Intern

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

Slate 13th 241, Continued

Queen Zulban is here. I've not seen her, and she hasn't asked anything of me yet, but I expect she will want to address the citizens of Bronzestabbed soon. I will also need to plan for royal quarters and else royal royals need. This is not a wise use of our resources when we are still so poorly defended, but there is little I can do.

I've filled up open positions in our military. Given the skills of some of the dwarves that came with the Queen, it would have been a waste not to.

Daeren's precision with the crossbow is legendary, and so he joined the GNU order. Aston and Pierzak joined the Rainy Boots as melee fighters. The One-Way Outs received Zebrin and Dirty Frank, and more importantly, Mr. Vile and Mad Wack, two legendary swordsdwarves. Dead Cow's skills with the crossbow was deemed sufficient to join The Walled Skies.

Slate 14th 241

Mining incident today. Incidents, actually, as both Slick Slinky and Shorter than some were injured in separate collapses.

Hopefully that's the worst I'll see during my time as overseer.

Slate 16th 241

Still no word from the Queen.

I've increased the training for all full squads. From now on, 3 dwarves are expected to train each month instead of 1.

Slate 17th 241

I suppose it was unrealistic to hope for no major injury during my rule earlier.

She fell down a shaft that was being mined to make the magma forges easier to access. She didn't suffer, at least.

Slate 20th 241

The smelters in the forge are now producing what little steel we can.

Slate 21st 241

This is getting out of hand. You people need to be more careful. PoptartsNinja fell down the exact same shaft that claimed Babies' life.

The wounds should heal, but at this rate the goblins won't have anything to kill the next time they siege us.

Slate 22nd 241

The rudimentary vault I've ordered built to store adamantine has been completed.

It's still far too exposed to the caverns, but at least it's close to the forges and we won't leave adamantine lying around from now on. The two large, ornamented copper doors had already been forged, but I can't seem to find out who ordered them. I need to look into this more deeply.

Slate 23rd 241

And so it begins. Leperfish brought this to me this morning.

As far as mandates go, it could have been far worse.

I've yet to see the Queen, or hear about any other requests, which is rather strange, but Queen Zulban has always known to be elusive.

Slate 25th 241

One of the dwarves who came with the latest wave of migrants has been acting strange.

He took over some leather works and now he's collecting materials.

Slate 28th 241

So I found out what those copper doors were made for. Some of the Ugathers have petitioned me for "restitution", and mentioned rumors of a house built for Qword.

That rat had houses made for him. With gem windows and fancy doors.

I'd considered punishing the Toddleseer before, but this makes it clear that there was someone else pulling the strings all along, and that punishment should be aimed at that someone else. I've started by evicting Qword. The houses will be used as temporary quarters for the queen.

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

2nd Feltsite 241

Why is nothing getting done around here? I've ordered the gatehouse bridge torn down, a trench built there, and a better bridge built, but this is the state of things right now:

I've ordered this two months ago! For two months the fortress has been wide open and vulnerable to being plundered by kobolds, humans, goblins or even elves. That doesn't seem to make anyone hurry up, though. Why should they? There's plenty of soldiers ready to die to defend this place instead, so of course there's time for a break.

It's not limited to this project either. The trees that are choking the fort's tunnels still haven't been cut. There aren't that many, and we have woodcutters.

Just what is everyone doing?

3rd Felsite 241

Curse the gods.

We're out of barrels. And we're also nearly out of wood. To make matters worse, we're also low on charcoal, which we need for steel, and that'll also be a drain on our supply of wood.

8th Felsite 241

Hezelius had begun work on an artifact. I doubt I'll be impressed after that last bracelet, but we'll see.

In other news, I've closed the hospital in former Ugathville today. It makes little sense for two hospitals to exist in Bronzestabbed. It splits up our valuable doctors, and increases the risk of pointless death. From now on, everyone will be brought to Star Guarded Memorial.

12th Felsite 241

Hezelius is done.

He calls it "The Occult Influence". I'm... not quite sure what to make of it, truth be told.

13th Felsite 241

I've made up my mind.

Those two adamantine swords will be given to Mr. Vile and Mad Wack. Not the most inspiring names, but they are heroes, and more importantly, they come from outside this fortress. If the corruption I've seen here is limited to Bronzestabbed itself, then they can be trusted. And if that corruption is just dwarven nature, or pervades The Rare Ship, then does it really matter who I give those swords to?

16th Felsite 241

The elven caravan has been sighted approaching the fortress.

The elves generally don't bring much of use with them, but in this case we might end up low on a critical component for the "Screw" project, and they might be able to provide what we need.

Unfortunately, the current broker is still recovering from the injuries he sustained a few weeks back, so I've decided to appoint Brannock, a Trader by, uh, trade as temporary broker. He is one of the recent arrival, too. Call me paranoid, but being paranoid never hurt anyone, and when your own wife is part of a conspiracy, it's not being paranoid.

18th Felsite 241

Curse the gods! Diploid got sprayed by a skunk while hauling logs back to the fortress. Now the entire place stinks even more than it did before!

That's not the worst, though. Ikubi Akius, the mayor, just decided to ban exports of figurine.

Coincidentally, this occurred just after I ordered a bunch of bins full of crafts moved to the trade depot. Now we'll have to go through everything and make sure not a single figurine is traded, or some poor hauler will earn themselves a hammering. Again, not paranoid here, but, y'know, it kind of feels like some people are trying to hinder me.

19th Felsite 241

Curse every last god.

It could be worse.

I'd still prefer that we had a bridge we could raise at the gate, though. Hope those breaks you took were worth it, you assholes.

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

Leperflesh posted:

YeOlde, you managed to skip Pengry on the dwarfing list, which would be OK except that TildeATH also skipped him, twice, so I went ahead and, uh, "highlighted" him on the dwarfing list.

Well, the thing is, Pengry's dwarf name is "Steven", and we already have a Steven in the fortress. I figured it was the same guy.

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

TildeATH posted:

Not that it matters because the whole fortress is currently making its way through a couple dozen ogre and goblin digestive tracts.

Goblins don't eat dwarves.

More importantly, Armok willing, things should be picking up from now on.

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

Felsite 19th 241

Alright, all civilians get the gently caress inside right now. Gnu Order and Walled Skies, on top of the tower. Melee squads, get in the gatehouse. Where the bridge should be, yes. Nope, don't know either, but you can ask the masons if you survive. And if not, haunt the poo poo out of them. You've got the overseer's permission.

Benagain is sent to the ballista battery.

Its position is "tactically dumb" as someone put it, but if Benagain doesn't run from the goblins, she might do some damage.

And since the goblins are coming from the northwest-

-and the northeast

they should have to go through its field of fi-

"Goblins from the east!"

What-

"And from the southeast!"

I-

"Ogres from the west!"

Ok, who's shouting all th-

"Ogres from the north!"

Yeah, ok, go gently caress yourself.

Alright, time for Plan B.

First step: every-loving-one gets inside.

Second step: raise the inside bridge for the gatehouse.

After that? You pray to whatever cruel god you believe in. If that fails, then we go to Plan C: we find the masons and kill them as slowly as possible, time and goblins permitting.

"But the elves are still outside in the trade depot!"

First, I told you to go gently caress yourself. Second, your point?

Any other questions? No? Let's do this.

If everyone's in, then pull the bridge lever.

Someone who's close by, preferably. Done? Good, now we wait and see how long it takes the goblins to break through and kill us all. Bets, anyone?

20th Felsite 241

Well, I lost that bet.

Still, it's nice to see we might live for a bit longer. The goblins have clearly made their way into the stronghold-to-be, and all we can hear are the sound of frightened animals trying to run away.

I've had someone get on top of the tower to take a look at what was happening. The elves have been laying volleys of arrows, which aren't doing all too much, especially with the goblin mace lord coming towards them.

Only reason they've survived so far is that he's busy with other things.

21st Felsite 241

Still alive, surprisingly. The goblins are slaughtering our livestock, and the sound of dying beasts is incessant. Through all this, the dwarves I've allowed on the tower for observation purposes (that means no shooting!) have reported spotting a goblin snatcher in the bone pile.

I suppose a siege is as nice a cover as they could hope for, but on the other hand the odds of getting a stray bolt to the face rises dramatically, so I'm not sure it's the best tactic. A for effort, though.

Also it turns out the volleys of arrow from yesterday are actually bolts from the goblin crossbowmen aiming for out livestock. Elves get F for effort.

22nd Felsite 241

The elves have taken refuge in the trench in front of the tower.

Amazingly enough, they're all unhurt.

Additionally, the goblins have invented a new sport which, as far as I can tell, involves hitting animals with blunt objects as far as possible.

I think the scoring is partly based on the sound the animal makes when hit.

I'm also hoping one goes for the more hardcore version of the sport.

You've got to catch it with your face to score. Try it, it's great fun!

23rd Felsite 241

The goblins have started to attack the elves. Or their horses at least.

I'm not a veterinarian, but I'm a surgeon and I can tell a fractured pancreas when I see one.

I won't lie here, I'm relieved to see the goblins are attacking the elves. For a moment I though the elves and goblins might have had a secret alliance against us.

24th Felsite 241

So yeah, the entire military is waiting at the entrance, but the goblins aren't trying to break down the bridge.

I'm gonna order the marksdwarves to get on the tower and try to kill a few goblins. Maybe that'll scare them off. The melee squads... I dont know, go back to training I guess? Keep your weapons close, though.

25th Felsite 241

Marksdwarves are on the tower.

Problem is, a good chunk of those dwarves have empty quivers. Don't ask me why, I've ordered bolts being produced non-stop for months now, and I'm sure we had some before. Maybe they got melted to make furniture for some previous overseer or some noble or I don't know! I'm sure it was a lot more important than our soldiers having ammunition, though.

27th Felsite 241

Not much progress in scaring the goblins away. Unfortunately, a roll call revealed that nobody had seen John Freeman for a week.

Hopefully he's not conspiring against us what am I saying? Hopefully he's not dead!

28th Felsite 241

I don't think much more will come out of this siege. The melee squads have stood down, and the ranged ones are on top of the tower taking shots at goblins with near-impunity. It's more like field training at this point. They've gotten a few decent shots here and there, but I don't think they've actually killed any of the goblins.

Lunnrais did pretty well, but no confirmed kill.

Oh well, I guess all we've got to do now is wait out the siege.

1st Hematite 241

So I've been told fairly often in my life that I don't get angry very easily. I can usually keep my cool, and I think you'll agree that I've handled things pretty well so far in this siege. That being said...

WHICH ONE OF YOU SUBNORMAL DUMB rear end poo poo FOR BRAINS MOTHERFUCKER DECIDED TO BUILD A HATCH FROM OUTSIDE THE FORTRESS THAT LEADS TO THE MAIN SHAFT? ONE THAT OGRES CAN JUST POP OPEN LIKE A GODSDAMN ROTTEN PLUMP HELMET AT THAT!

Militia?

GET THE gently caress IN THERE OR I'LL TREPANATE YOU ALL.

They've already taken control of the hatch to the lower lev- wait, what? How did those ogres open that hatch without smashing it open? Did somebody unlock it for them? But there's no goblins in Bronzestabbed, the only ones in the tunnels below are civilians like-

... my wife and daughter.

*twitch*

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

1st Hematite 241, Continued

The... the militia quickly arrives.

They kill the first ogress without much difficulty.

But then, fighting is heard from deeper in the fortress.

Two ogres have slipped past the fighting above and trapped a handful of dwarves in tunnels dug out by some previous oversee for reasons I can't imagine. Further down is the half-complete auditorium, where more dwarves are trapped. The only soldier there is Helical Nightmares, and against all odds, he seems to be winning. He is unharmed, and his opponents, well...

Seeing this, GrimRevenant and Vim Fuego also begin to hit the ogres with whatever they have.

Back in the upper layers, the militia has been ordered to stay in the tunnels and fight off the ogres in close quarters, safe from the goblin crossbowmen. A few disobey and go topside, but Magrov, Finagle, Pierzak, Aston, Krushdhead and Three Phase battle 3 ogres in the tunnels below the breach.

La Croix and Dirty Frank have both ran outside and killed a goblin maceman, though they have suffered some harm.

Unfortunately many more invaders remain.

The ogres in the tunnel are beaten, but there is no way to close the breach without dooming the dwarves who ran outside and haven't come back... By my count, right now that would be La Croix.

He's been howling in pain in the dirt close to the tower, unmoving even when called back inside.

There's a goblin hammerman going for him, too.

And above on the ridge is a squad of hammermen, headed by an axelord.

They must go around to reach the hatch, but when they do so...

I order the stairs below the hatch dug out. Teddles does the deed.

And just as the stairs collapse, La Croix begins to head for the hatch.

And when he reaches it, he... understands. And so he heads back. Towards the incoming ogres.

He fights well, despite his injuries.

Until the axe lord arrives.

He does not scream. He does not have time for it.

4th Hematite 241

I have not slept much. Even if we are safe, more or less, I couldn't help but seeing the same things over and over again.

But that blood is not on my hands.

I've made up my mind. Bronzestabbed was created to fight evil. It was supposed to be a weapon to strike at the root of evil. But the root isn't the goblins, or the Fields of Vice, or a fallen king. The true root is far older, and far more insidious. And it needs a very special weapon to be defeated.

I will forge Bronzestabbed into that weapon, whatever it takes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

5th Hematite 241

Melee squads are ordered to stand down. Ranged ones are to stay on top of the tower and harass the goblins. Preferably by killing them, like Lunnrais did for one.

Either way, there's little to do except waiting I think. I'll order them to stand down and resupply soon.

Speaking of which, two of the magma forges are reserved for armor and weapon smelting from now on.

The next time our marksdwarves need bolts, they'll have them, whether it's to shoot at goblins, elves or traitors.

6th Hematite 241

The goblins ran out of animals to slaughter and have started firing at the tower.

Most marksdwarves are tired, hungry and thirsty, on top of being nearly all out of ammo, so I order them back in. Even with the tower's fortifications, the goblins might get some bolts through and I don't need more pointless deaths.

The wounded are starting to be brought to Start Guarded Memorial. Three Phase is suffering a broken floating rib. I dress his wounds myself.

Bularin, a miner, is evaluated by Markus.

I'm not sure what happened to him as I did not see him involved in any battles.

8th Hematite 241

The queen has issued a ban on exports.

What, is she afraid we'll trade ballista arrows to the goblins or something? Because our export markets are a tad limited by the goblin siege right now.

11th Hematite 241

The fortress is getting even less done than usual. A number of dwarves complain that they can't do their job without going outside. The bastards just want to loot the corpses. Like that of...

Yeah, thanks, I know. And I think John Freeman won't be seen again until the siege is lifted, so...

Lastly Aston, one of the recent migrants, is also brought to Start Guarded Memorial with a broken hip.

I saw him fight against one of the ogres in the tunnel below the breach. Hopefully his military career won't end with that.

I've not noticed before, but it's summer now. The cool breeze must feel nice topside.

13th Hematite 241

Three Phase is already out of Star Guarded.

This is a day after finishing his treatment.

I hope he won't push himself too hard, although it is good to see him so eager to return to active duty. We could use more dwarves like him.

In other good news, Promontory has come of age today.

And Tendales had a child.

I'm sure you'll make your parents-

...proud. Yeah. Both of them.

*twitch*

15th Hematite 241

The forges haven't been used in nearly a month.

I've explicitly ordered dwarves to forget about everything outside and to get back to work, and yet they idle around.

Is there really no hope for this place?

• Locked thread