Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer

Three-Phase posted:

What would be really cool is to get a screenshot every once and awhile, and compile them to show the growth of the fortress as an animated GIF or video.
It'd be great if we could use http://mkv25.net/dfma/ for fortress-wide maps, since it'll iterate and save previous versions of the fort.

Users (not just the people uploading the map) can even add points of interest, which is pretty useful.

100 HOGS AGREE fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Jun 24, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer

YeOldeButchere posted:

Look at this.

Look at this sentence.

You really think you have what it takes to be an overseer, asking permission like that? A real overseer just does whatever they want, whenever they want, and more importantly to whoever they want.
Colon would lose interest and abandon his turn a month in anyway. :v:

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
I still say http://mkv25.net/dfma/ would be really useful for maps, you could always black out things that people don't want added to the map or something. it doesn't show unexplored areas like caves and poo poo, so it's not like we're gonna get major spoilers.

You can even then download the map in a tiny file and reconvert it into a png.

100 HOGS AGREE fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Jun 28, 2012

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer

super fart shooter posted:

I'd like to petition for overseers to not abuse stonecrafting. It's so dull and utilitarian. If you're going to make crafts and instruments and things for trading, make them out of something nice, like precious metals and alloys, or high quality glass. Spamming rock crafts just to max out your caravan purchasing power is boring.

(Also, I will hold in great esteem any overseer who makes pots and jugs out of glass and clay pottery/porcelain, instead of those drab, ugly stone pots!)
Honestly, with the changes to how digging out boulders works, if you're spamming crafts like that you might actually hit shortages of stone. You get a lot less stone then you used to.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
Also blocks are now way more useful. Four per boulder, each one makes a wall section or an entire workshop that's not rough stone? And building things out of blocks takes less time then out of stones, even without accounting for how slowly dwarves carry raw stone around? Yes please.

100 HOGS AGREE fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Jul 4, 2012

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
Hey Leperflesh, do you have a copy of the raws/mods for your mod separate from the main game save? I want to use them but I don't want to mess with the official save.

Basically, something I could dump right in a default download of the Lazy Noob Pack.

100 HOGS AGREE fucked around with this message at 14:51 on Jul 6, 2012

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
Wasn't the carp thing because toady accidentally made it so fish constantly trained swimming and got mega stat ups just because they were submerged all the time?

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer

Three-Phase posted:

Hah! Oh, you want a proper schematic do you?! With a title block and border? What format do you want, AutoCAD 2012 DWG, PDF, or a D sized printout?
Lego.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer

JamieTheD posted:

(25 dwarves to name on the wall, 25 dwarves to name... name one of the buggers and whaddya got... 24 dwarves to name on the wall...)
I hope you're using Dwarf Therapist to name them, it's, well, a lot faster.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
Are the squads getting time off? If they're not they're not getting any chances to raise their mood up.

It also seems to help if you put some :krad: fixtures in the barracks for them to be around while training.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
Why are you using timg tags for all the images? It makes them a pain in the rear end to read through.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer

SirPenguin posted:

To add my 2 cents to the whole image size thing, I think the absolute greatest choice would be to have cropped, full-zoom images. They're clear, easy to read, don't stretch resolutions, and you can focus our attention. I'm a DF vet, but I go cross-eyed when someone posts a full-sized screenshot of a specific scene; I might as well be playing Where's Waldo.

To make such shots, I cannot recommend Snagit enough. At full disclosure we have a corporate license with them at my work, and it does cost money, but the free trial would cover a full turn without problem

The main benefit, aside from being able to take screenshots of portions of your screen, is it keeps all the images in a nice history gallery that you can annotate and then save all at once.
Or you just use IrfanView like everyone recommends and not pay for software.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer

OhCrap posted:

Could carve fortifications in the outer wall and give Kraken's squad target practice if they get close.
Are there any exterior stone walls? You can't carve fortifications into dirt.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer

Brannock posted:

I personally can't stand digging my fort deeply since Z navigation is annoying if there are too many levels. This is also generally why I try to embark on flatter ground - good luck following a fight that's fought over 10 thin strips of Z layers.
Honestly, sometimes I wish for the (relative) simplicity of the old 2D version, along with the improvements of the last couple years.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
Aw yeah I'm a lady dwarf. Time to probably die horribly.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer

Leperflesh posted:

Hey guys!

Could you do me a favor?

I spend a lot of time on the first page of this thread (for obvious reasons) and it never fully loads. I mean, it looks like it's loaded, but my browser just keeps spinning on that page, forever. I'm not internet savvy enough to figure out what is failing to load, though, and I'm worried it might be something in one of the first three posts. Can someone figure this out for me?
Loads fine for me. Maybe it's a browser extension or something?

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
At least I'm still alive! And the mayor!

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
It would be awesome if someone went through all the seasonal saves and uploaded the map from each one to the DF Map Archive so we can see the growth of the fortress after it's all over.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
I think the next thread should use the Masterwork mod somehow, mostly for the FPS increasing tweaks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
At that point I just say gently caress it and use autodump to put everything in one place. I think it is fine because the way the game works now is so poo poo.

• Locked thread