Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008
Based on the descriptions in the prologue, I can only assume we ended up settling perilously close to the dark fortress "Hatredaching."

Also, someone get Sirocco in here! Without his optimism, composing, and gazebos we surely do not stand a chance.

Edit: I went ahead and PMed him.

Vox Nihili fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Jun 24, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Angela Christine posted:

I for one look forward to being an unknown baby that no one ever hears about until my inevitable death causes one of my parents to go berserk.

One of the current bugs:

A dwarf will drop its baby, if it has one, when boarding a minecart set to be ridden.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Geekkake posted:

...yeah, someone update my requested profession in the spreadsheet, please.

You are now in charge of growing the plump helmets. Congrats.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008
Seems that I worship the fish god and the marriage god. Looks like my dwarf has a long way to go in proving himself. I suppose clear-cutting half of the trees on the surface will be a good start.

The "evil" territory looks deceptively welcoming right now. No empty, dead terrain, no clear signs of evil beasts, no thick carpet of ever-blinking eyes in place of grass. I guess we'll find out what terrors it conceals soon enough.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Samuel posted:

Could you link all the updates to the OP? It'd make checking up on the LP alot easier.

They're being linked in the third post.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

PoptartsNinja posted:

Speaking of, did my dinosaurs make it in?

Your dinosaurs are still set to be included in the adventure mode LP. When and if that ever comes to fruition, of course.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

TremendousMajestic posted:

Where's Sirocco this time around? Has he posted? His mspaints are always a good time.

I PM'd him. He's busy with work but sends his regards to the thread.

I'm secretly hoping that he eventually gets drawn into things in spite of himself, like last time.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Not sure if that really applies to the dwarf personalities. They tend to be more specific than horoscope-type descriptions and often pretty extreme, "He is not easily moved to pity" and the like.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Boing posted:

Personality traits are generated on a 0-100 scale for each factor and are normally distributed around a mean of 50. Those that fall in the completely neutral segment of a given personality factor aren't mentioned at all in the description, but nonetheless the majority of things that get included are fairly mild. "Calm demeanour", "self-conscious", "can handle stress". You get a few that are extreme, like you say, but most will fall within a reasonable error distribution for any average response on personality questionnaire items.
:goonsay:

Normal distribution rolling on the dozens of available traits mean that you're more than likely to average a couple outliers per dwarf. :colbert:

Reading the list of possible trait descriptions is pretty amusing, by the way.

"would never let an objective judgement be tempered by mercy or pity"
"would never deny (his) own needs just to compromise with somebody else"

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Colon V posted:

It, in fact, is. That will have to be walled off, or goblins will squeeze through it.

Nope. The "zone" overlay is covering the walls. The room isn't actually square:

Also, seconding this:

quote:

You ordered gauntlets and boots twice, this is wrong as each gauntlet/boot job makes a pair of them.

under the assumption that the way boots and gauntlets are crafted has not been modded.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Qwo posted:

Seems portentous. :ohdear:

If I'm "elected" overseer, I'll see to it that something is done about the cult of Ugath. Surely, we whose mission it is to make a stand against the malign, unnatural forces of undeath and corruption cannot allow worshipers of disease and deformity to endanger our righteous crusade.

They are not beyond redemption, though- perhaps some sort of cleansing atonement is in order?

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Internet Kraken posted:

It's smaller than a kitten.

Ha! Spoken like someone who has never faced down a diving kestral in the field. Some facts: "kestral" means "god-eater," and there is no known instance of an unarmed human slaying one of these incredible powerhouses. Look, and know fear:

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Kennel posted:

So is it ok to search the legends mode and post stuff about famous ancestors and such? I'd avoid spoilerific stuff like living vampires and werebeasts.

"i poo poo trains"'s great grandmother Olin Hopebrass killed the titan that had killed the first king of Rare Ship.

That's cool. I'd love to hear more stuff like this, as long as it's kept 100% spoilerless.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008
By the way, thanks for making full Lepermod file available through the posted save. I know it's going to be my go-to setup for general dwarf fortress games now.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008
I, for one, could never imagine updating an LP at such a glacial pace!

This is a joke at my own expense.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008
Hoping we get one of those overseers who spoils us with daily updates!

Also, selfishly hoping it's me because I only have about a month of free time left at this point.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Qwo posted:

The Journal of Qword, Chirurgeon
Entry 1 (Hematite of 237)

We have arrived at Bronzestabbed. The journey was quite unkind to us. Many things went wrong, which gave my wife Falgund reason to complain constantly. Twice I laid her on the ground and trepanned her thick skull, but she only complained all the louder afterwards.

I do not much care for my wife. She is a cherub-cheeked, benign dwarfess. Boring, insipid. Slow. Bubbling with things to say. She worships the gossip-goddess when it suits her, which is when she’s feeling particularly womanly. I do not share her fascination with fluffy creatures and relationships. I am glad her pet cat starved on the way here.

I sometimes long for my bachelor years. It was not so long ago, for I am a very young dwarf. Tomemoistened was my home, a fair fortress of a few hundred dwarves. I trained as an apprentice chirurgeon - one who cuts and heals dwarfflesh. A rare and prestigious profession! I was, by all accounts, a promising sawer of bones.

But alas, it was not meant to be. My training lasted only two years before I had Falgund thrust on my shoulders. My parents had arranged the marriage with hers. It was a joining of houses, a sharing of wealth, a horrible dwarven custom that ended my life before it had even begun.

I moved to Ripewhips to live with my bride and her family. It was pure misery. Ripewhips is an astonishing fortress, as I’m sure you’ve heard. A progressive polyracial society. It was truly disgusting. The only joy to be had in Ripewhips was my 0% survival rate for goblin patients.

Obviously, six years of dead goblins caught up with me.

I narrowly escaped being clapped in irons and sentenced to death. The goblins, craven greenskins that they are, came in great numbers while I was asleep. I broke a few of my precious anatomy tablets over their heads, threw my screaming wife at them, and fled from Ripewhips, never to return again.

Unfortunately, my wife, through some sick joke of the gods, escaped too and followed me into the wilds. I was grief-stricken to find that she still lived, but I passed my sobs off as joy.

I don't normally care for journal entries, but I enjoyed this one.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

TheWhaler posted:

I still think a professional comedian names HONK HONK HONK is the best migrant I've ever seen in a Dorf Fortress LP.

If he turns out to be a vampire, Bronzestabbed will immediately clinch Best Dwarf Fortress LP.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Original

Vox Nihili fucked around with this message at 11:03 on Jul 18, 2012

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

OhCrap posted:

Nettle Soup procures an alpaca, a goose, a reindeer bull, a hen, a blue peacock, a doe rabbit, a turkey gobbler, a barrel of ale, a barrel of beer, an iron mace, an iron war hammer, an iron breastplate, and a bag of gypsum plaster for our craftwork. I judge that this is Good Value.

Oh, I hope you bought those steel and iron bars! The yearly dwarven caravan is likely our only way to get steel.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

scamtank posted:

Soapy baths remove infection risk and clean off syndrome contaminants, sure, but that venom went right in his blood. I don't know if it helped any there.

No matter. In my experience, dwarves are pretty quick to suffocate once respiration systems give. He's up and about, so he should be fine now, but I still can't understand how he made it that far.

"Quite durable" and "quick to heal" attributes probably saved him, both from bleeding out and from suffocating.

Of course, a helmet would have saved him much more effectively. :colbert:

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Boing posted:

I'm not exactly sure what the 'Toughness' attribute does. Does it improve the material density of your flesh and bones? Or lessen the force of the blows hitting you, or improve your tolerance to pain (which I thought was willpower)? Or does it just give you more blood? That would be a pretty gamey way of doing it

I basically have no idea about the details, but dwarves with higher toughness take longer to drown, have to lose more limbs to bleed out, and just generally seem harder to kill.

Source: I've killed a few dwarves in my time.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Willie Tomg posted:

If you're not clearing surface trees, gathering plants, making elaborate surface constructions or running surface patrols, then thats pretty much the only place you're going to reveal them.

You can set up a huge pasture of animals in the general area near your entrance. Almost no way for anything to sneak through them all if you end up with as many beasts as I do.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

OhCrap posted:

Save is uploaded for Leperflesh!

Here is a Fine Image. It menaces with Spikes of Bad Overseer. It relates to the Growth of Kilrudzat into a City in 238.

So many dwarves, so few soldiers.

And look at that drink count. Barely more than one unit of booze per dwarf!!! :colbert:

Seriously though, good turn.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Bad Munki posted:

I figured it was something along those lines, I just mentioned it because last time, I think the list was nuked before we started signing up (hence the half dozen blank rows at the top.)

Anyhow, FIRST

Third.

Now to watch in horror as my odds are steadily reduced.

Stupid objectively fair system!

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Willie Tomg posted:

What does it mean I fled into the Fields of Vice? Not that jumping ship for a tour of the meadows of weed, strippers and lotto tickets is such a terrible fate or very uncharacteristic, but I am curious never having seen that before.

It's a dwarven turn of expression meaning that you have succumbed to evil.

Not really. It's a phrase that shows up when you abandon the fortress and the survivors are ejected into the surrounding lands. It can be safely ignored as the fortress is only "abandoned" in the process of going to check out these records.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008
His tombstone reads, simply,

i shat trains

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008
Hate to be the guy, but I believe it is spelled "adequate." ;)

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008
So, what's taking so long on the armor front? :colbert:

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Zaodai posted:

Leperflesh, I specifically said that it wasn't a matter of my death not being heroic.

It's the fact that I was manually convicted based on evidence that nobody in the game itself had, and then left to die. That's stupid. If I had murdered a dwarf and been caught, well that's game mechanics. But I didn't. My conviction cited loving combat logs as the evidence.

"Whelp, God told me you did it and now you died of thirst. Not my fault!:iamafag:" is something you should drat well be able to hold an overseer accountable for. It wasn't even metagaming for the sake of the narrative. There was no purpose to it.

For future reference, no overseer is generally "held accountable" for individual dwarf deaths for any reason. Most dwarves die ignoble, pointless, often nonsensical deaths. It happens. Gross negligence isn't so much punished as expected.

That said, playful poo poo-talking is encouraged. For example, I would certainly have gone to great lengths to keep a plot-important dwarf alive. ;)

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Boing posted:

Zapdos is miserable which you see very rarely so I'm looking forward to him going insane and narrating overseer updates as a gibbering lunatic or hopeless depressive.

Hopefully they patch him up in time for his killing spree.

quote:

Aw man, I hope the election isn't between Internet Kraken and Bad Munki, because I don't know who I'd vote for.

Vote Vox. I pledge to arm every dwarf in the fortress with at least copper xbows and bolts. An armed society is a polite society. If dwarf have crossbow this not happen etc.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008
Man, I really need to start sending L-Fish some bigger bribes. Can't believe I keep getting outbid by these upstarts.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008
I think if I ever run another succession LP, overseer turns will be determined by arena fights on the side.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Demiurge4 posted:

That was epic, now craft more armour and weapons! :supaburn:

At least we'll be able to equip the now smaller militia better.

Good news: We suddenly have a large, unexpected surplus of weapons and armor!

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008
Throw that thug behind bars. Even our founder isn't above justice!

(I don't think you need a witness report for the beating crime to be recorded and punishable.)

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

ddegenha posted:

Whilst reading tonight's update, my wife began excitedly pointing at the name Vox Nihili. Evidently last night she had a dream that involved dwarves, and he made a by name appearance. She didn't make the connection until tonight's update. Dwarf Fortress is creeping into some strange places.

Excellent. Everything is proceeding as planned.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008
I see an elite crossbow goblin leading their crossbow forces.

That squad alone, mounted as they are, could savage us. Mounted enemies with ranged weapons are ridiculously difficult to combat without elite soldiers.

Ogres are building destroyers.

Good luck.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008
As a stout worshiper of the gods Lorsith and Esar, I humbly suggest that we go further than merely creating a muck-village for the slime-lovers. Let us sequester them within that place of mud until the end of time. Let us create a quarantine to protect the good, clean dwarves of Bronzestabbed. Let us eat unspoilt food and drink clean, clear beer that has not been put to filth by their foul hands and mouths.

I am proposing that we forcibly hold the filth-drinkers in their place. A binding Writ of Burrow might be issued to prevent them from having access to all but their vile den, and walls constructed such that they might only come across us gooddwarves by traveling over the surface. If they will eat, let them eat crops of their own, drink their own sludge, and rest upon craftworks of their own hand. If they would serve in the militia, or already do (as I fear some may), let them continue their service, but only under trustworthy officers who keep to the proper gods. Let them hold no office but of their own devising, and let them manage no affairs but of their own.

And let any child or immigrant who shall proclaim Ugath join them in their wretchedness. But we are merciful- let those of the muck who take two or more gods be spared if they would forsake Ugath upon entry. Those who worship Ugath alone are patently beyond such easy redemption.

We are the vanguard in the war against the dark, the deformed, and the ill. Let not the Ugath swine lead us astray. Let us be righteous, and may any who defy our young overseer's Correct and Proper orders be put amongst the Ugath excrement, and those there who would yet rebel be put to the murk, such that they and their twisted lord may be at one, and we may finally be In The Right to dispatch them on sight.

Lastly, if I may:

Let us arm all gooddwarves who take not the pick or axe with crossbows and bolts of bronze and copper, and clad all of our kind with gleaming helms appropriate for our higher station. I, fortress smith, volunteer to outfit all who would stand with stone and sound flesh over muck and decay.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Artificer posted:

Wait. What did the poor former Medical Dwarf do? Why did Markus get demoted?

TildeATH has been taking Journal updates into account for the regular updates. Just another touch that helps make his turn as overseer so remarkable. I can hardly believe that we're surviving these sieges through Bronzestabbed's military "might" alone- TildeATH must have mastered the dark art of the DF military system. He definitely has my vote for best overseer so far!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008
1. Leperfish makes sense for baron.

2. Either 1 or maybe 2 if you feel like it. I don't think it's quite late enough for any gimmicky magic stuff, especially since there's still plenty of time for things to go crazy organically.

• Locked thread