Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Oh gosh I got so excited that I request dwarfing before realizing I was in the freakin' embark group! Hot diggity dog! And a big strong ox of a military dwarf? I can dig it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Write journal entries and draw horrible pictures, most likely. ;)

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Tiler Kiwi posted:

Its just not the same unless I kill off half the population ingloriously after everyone finally gets a dwarf named after themselves.

Write fanfic about your dwarf writing fanfic about being overseer and killing everyone off. :downs:

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Internet Kraken posted:

You and me are all that stands between the fort and a horde of zombies. Fun times.

I feel we should call a meeting to discuss this important issue. A meeting deep, deep within the "fortress," and we should discuss the topic at length until we are sure we have arrived at a reasoned and logical conclusion and screw that set up a training barracks right in the middle of the front entryway and let's spar forever

On a side note, I think it's fair that, based on my name, I demand use of the first whip that becomes available either through trade, mood, or "invader donations." :pervert:

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

If I am ever engaged as overseer, I hereby vow to name all new dwarves by attempting to type your name by nose or by toes, no fixin' of typos.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Shameless self-service here, but I couldn't help but open up a character creator.

I attempted to dress him appropriately for any standard dwarven fortress.

I assumed "neatly combed" hair actually meant "neatly picked" since that's more dwarfy. :3:

I was also thoroughly disappointed that the character creator didn't have an llama companions. I mean, come on.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

The eyes are as per the description (and yes, definitely creepy but also in a "this guy would be a hoot to work on a car with" sort of way) and as for the rest, it wasn't in the description so I can only assume those parts aren't there!

I also intend to update the image as he progresses (armor, please?!)

Bad Munki fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Jun 24, 2012

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

I dunno, but I refuse to read it unless I become overseer. And quite possibly not even then. Willful, self-inflicted ignorance is the dwarven way.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Vox Nihili posted:

One of the current bugs:

A dwarf will drop its baby, if it has one, when boarding a minecart set to be ridden.

New rule: all mine cart stations must be surrounded by magma. For safety reasons.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

"Fungineer"

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Based on the screenshots in the OP, I put this together.

Wagon is at normal color, down is darker, up is lighter. If I had higher-res screenshots, I would gladly do this again, or in the future as the fortress grows. Of course, this only works for above-ground features.

Although I bet I could use dfhack to do this automatically, unless there's already a similar tool out there...

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Yeah, sorta. It was a demo video that wasn't actually functional, but showed "here's what it could look like." Sorta like those UI mockups people do from time to time.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

It isn't immediately apparent to me from the screenshots: where is the barracks that I'm supposed to be training at? Because remember, I won't train unless I have some sort of barracks...my personal recommendation would be an armor stand or weapon rack at, near, or just outside the main entrance, such that I am training in the way of any would-be trespassers. Also so I can greet any newcomers!

Also, yay, an axe and a helmet! I think this one brings out my eyes the best.

the secret to getting my hair to do that with a helmet on is that it's actually a pick-over :ssh:

e: nevermind on the barracks, I get it now. My advice still stands about the location! A simple armor stand in the entrance will do nicely, thank you. :shobon:

Bad Munki fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Jun 24, 2012

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

I'll second that.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

YeOldeButchere posted:

Not that it really matters seeing as there's no doors on the fortress.

I am the door. :colbert:

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Leperflesh posted:

My main hangup is I won't tolerate hunks of grass in the middle of my text wherever a comma or period is supposed to be.
From my point of view, a lot more time is spent looking at the map than reading text, so the value of a good-looking map far outweighs the value of non-grassy text. And the default phoebus is pretty mild for those tiles, it doesn't take long to not even see them anymore.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Commander's log, Dwarfdate 236.03.27

While military resources are anything but plentiful, it seems an honest attempt is being made to keep the military outfitted. Of course, it must be noted that at this time, "the military" is synonymous with "me." Still, if the plan is to survive out here, I must drill it into the minds of all that whether a squad consists of one dwarf or ten, proper military protocol must be followed.

Since I knew a military barracks would not be immediately forthcoming, I opted to spend the first month here on patrol, in order to get a feel for layout of the caves being dug and to develop a sense of the surrounding area. The latter lead to an interesting discovery of some foul fog or cloud or dust storm that routinely pollutes the air north of the river, but as of this time, that area is beyond my jurisdiction and as such, none of my concern. I have passed my observations on to my superiors and will leave it at that.

Summer is approaching and a proper barracks has finally been established. Although I use the term "proper" extremely loosely and with great reservation, this will suffice, although I believe that spending my hours training here will not serve the fortress well enough. I feel too tucked away and disconnected from the weak points in our defenses. As such, I will send a request for the relocation of the training facilities. I believe a far superior location would be the highlighted area seen below.

It is a small space, and digging the corridor wider in that area would not weaken our defenses at all. At the same time, with military training right there in the entrance, all invaders could be turned back before they could even properly enter the complex. Additionally, this would preclude any sneaking thieves and kidnappers from gaining entry to our little enclave. A second set of doors on the inside would make the space a very effective airlock and would serve to set a clear boundary for what is and is not the training area.

I mentioned earlier our leader's apparent interest in military equipment. So far, the gear can only be described as "lacking," but thinking back to some prior assignments, I can say at least it exists. While bone greaves and gauntlets will do little to protect against metal weapons, I'd much rather have the gear than not. And copper may be a lesser material than many other metals, but it is a stepping stone on the way to bronze, and we have the supplies for that as well. Of course steel is always the preference, but I will gladly take what I can get, as long as my needs are not ignored. If these dwarves wish for me to protect them, they must be willing to do the same for me.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Well it depends on whether you're measuring it from outside the tile, or from within. Each tile is a TARDIS.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Wait, there's a mountain?

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

AtomikKrab posted:

There is always a mountain, if there isn't they will build one due to dwarves... or a massive sacrificial temple.

Dwarves?! :aaaaa:

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Aww man, tindeck is down so I don't get to listen to it. :(

So instead I updated my self-portrait with amazing super protective bits of bone armor :downs:

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Well obviously it would be metal.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Definitely wasn't Gemclod. We had some broken saves that forced a little bit of replay, more than once I believe, but when it came time for Gemclod to fall, it fell with style.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

No mercy.

e: By coincidence, this literally just came up on my playlist.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZNGe7iK1O-4

(For those not in the know, this was the most excellent musical selection for setting the mood of the final entry of Gemclod)

Bad Munki fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Jun 28, 2012

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Pickled Tink posted:

I'm finding it very hard to tell what is going on in the outdoors shots. I am just too used to the default settings. Spot the murk is pretty hard when it is homogeneous green on homogeneous green when your usual terms of reference don't apply.

Meh, don't worry about the murk. It's harmless.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Darval posted:

Clockwork Cupcake, don't stop! Those are awesome! You should use one as your avatar :3:

Agreed.

Heck, if you make one for each of the gods, I'll give you one as an avatar. :)

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

I'm still maintaining that my afro is canonical no matter what anyone says. :colbert:

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Don't use lpix if it's causing trouble? Imgur.com is a fair alternative. In the file upload dialog box, you can select multiple files, easy as pie.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Hooray, armor! And steel, no less!

Also, totally applied for overseership. I expect a lot of people to apply, so everyone's chances will be slim, but I might as well try to get in early while I'm still alive. :ohdear:

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Pierzak posted:

To the elven pantheon, perhaps. You tree-loving hippy. A real dwarf would appreciate the subtle taste the oaken barrels give.

That's like saying "it's the subtle taste of poo poo, why don't you like it?"

Proper dwarven booze is infused with the subtle taste of things like microcline, and copper, and--on extra special occasions--lead.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

That would be up to you, of course. :)

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Ah yes, they call that "Laughing Lager."

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Wood is a remarkably plentiful resource, you're just not going about the gathering process right.

1) Build trade depot
2) Wait for elves to show up
3) Seize all logs
4) Make charcoal

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

You just posted here to dick with us by not actually telling us who's next, didn't you? Admit it!

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Fargo Fukes posted:

A goon has issued a mandate!

A goon has prohibited the export of certain items!

This is a statue of dwarves and the goon super fart shooter in microcline. The goon super fart shooter is issuing a mandate. The dwarves are refusing the goon super fart shooter. The dwarves are laughing. The artwork relates to the mandate issued by the goon super fart shooter in the summer of 2012.

Bad Munki fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Jul 4, 2012

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Tias posted:

If you want to ace trading from the get-go, just have your carpenters churn out spiked wooden balls and en. wooden corkskrews, they have really high value.

I know how you feel, but I'm sure we can count on the overseers commitment to entertaining us. Hell, I kind of enjoyed it when Vox Nihili (I think?) decided to churn out lovely rock crafts to finance Gemclods alcoholism and mad engineering schemes.

That was me and I still maintain the sweatshops were a brilliant plan, even if it ensured no useful moods would arise for the remainder of the game. :D

In fact, if I recall, it was a direct usurping of Vox's plan to produce legendary armor/weapon crafters by having everyone spend a little time in the forge. ;)

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

My dwarf is of unknown parentage. :(

I guess the only solution will be for him to procreate like mad so he can work his way into one of these family trees.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Nope, born in 177-ish, I think. He's of unknown parentage because, I believe, while migrants are historical figures, embark dwarves are created on the spot.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Boing posted:

Oh god everyone's dead

Easiest save scum ever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

There's no such thing as a "stay indoors" order anymore.

Check the military screen, specifically the "alerts" section, and see if one is set to active for the civ.

I feel this isn't spoiling anything because it's a basic game mechanic.

e: nevermind, sounds like it's sorted, but I guess my advice stands as a general PSA.

• Locked thread