Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

:haw:

I don't think I'll be writing much, I dislike carving my emotions down in stone, but Leperfish has requested some words from each of us, to be carved into the base of the statue we will place before the entrance, and I feel I must lay out my thoughts beforehand.

Upon our arrival here Leperfish designated himself our leader, which - don't tell anyone! - I find rather a relief. I was willing to take the helm if nobody else put themselves forward, but truth be told, I am not a good leader and I trust that he will do well. I have quietly stepped back and instead I have taken up mining and watching out for merchants, carving the halls where many dwarves will live and die and seeing that we become known as good traders. It's rather satisfying and, for now at least, I feel content.

It would be nice if we had some tables and chairs, I would like a desk so I could write more and a chair so I could sit upright, but these things will come in time. For now this short piece has served to settle my mind, and I know now what I shall request for my words on the entrance stone.

Ingest, do us well. Guide our chisels so that our words may thunder throughout this land.

It'll do.

- Nettle Soup.

Nettle Soup fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Jun 24, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

I always make them the same dwarf :downs: How can you trade without knowing your books!

Edited it slightly anyway.

Nettle Soup fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Jun 24, 2012

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

I think Kraken may be breaking under the pressure. This dense evil atmosphere and quiet talk of goblins can't be good for anyone's sanity, but I have heard him in the adjoining room, shouting at his dog (Whom he has given a dwarven name) about undead turtles, heretic deeds and the two-legged dogs outside.

We mined together, a few days back, but when I asked him what he wanted his bedroom carved out of, he said wood. Chestnut, to be precise. I almost questioned this, but he was looking for any sense of doubt in my face, and I have seen him accuse even the walls of treason and evil deeds.

It does not bode well.

Right now he is silent, brooding over the strange new arrivals and their odd behaviours, and I can only hope they are of sound hearts, and will bring him back to sanity before it's too late. If even one of them reveals himself a being of darkness, I think that would be just too much.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Clockwork Cupcake posted:

Esar, goddess of marriage, depicted as a female dwarf.

While dwarven women are not typically bearded, Esar is. Her flowing beard signifies fertility and prosperity. Priestesses of Esar and new brides may wear false beards in her honor.

(or, you know, not, this is just what I had in mind when I came up with the design)

This is brilliant, I hope you do more!

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

You're using paint to crop!? Download IrfanView! It's free, lightweight and a lot quicker to use. Just ctrl+v paste in image, highlight area, hit ctrl+y to crop and then hit s to save.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

I'm happy with us pissing off the elves. :) It takes ages to get them really upset anyway. Honestly I don't mind what the next overseer does, so long as they keep up the pace.

Nettle Soup fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Jul 3, 2012

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

eh

vvv

Nettle Soup fucked around with this message at 13:25 on Jul 4, 2012

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

It wasn't really a spoiler. :shobon: Just my experience with a dust zombie. But fair enough!

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Penguingo posted:

Where's the Triple Word Score tile?

Looks more like picross to me.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Date Unknown, found on a broken piece of rock hauled into the first masonry.

The new dwarves are settling in, and I've been digging out bedrooms. Bedrooms are good, I've heard of too many forts that have gone without, due to either the overseer having "more important" projects in mind or just due to sheer bad planning. Normally those projects are not for the better of the dwarves around them either, and the talk of beautiful water moving machines, cavernous halls and and industry unnerve me for just this reason. I will dig these bedrooms all the faster and do what I can to make sure there are beds for all, what little it may be.

The undead horror outside the gates was dispatched, who by, nobody knows, and rumours abound. But one of the armsdwarves came back a few weeks ago, her child still in her arms and the howls of the monster that did it still ringing through the halls. We have been watching her antics during the dark periods, but she has so far shown no madness other than that common to the newly bereaved.

I dug out a room for the little one and hope that the loss will scar over with time. A mark left on the skin of the dwarf that is this fortress, reminding us of our mistakes.

My break is over and I don't know why I scribed this down, but now I shall smash this rock and carry onwards. There are bedrooms to dig!

Nettle Soup fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Jul 12, 2012

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Well, if he drops out, I call dibs. :haw:

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

You can make an animated gif pretty easy in photoshop, you just need two screenshots, one of each state, I think I made one before for a little LP I did of one of my own forts...

Ah, here it is:

Yeah that fort was pretty screwed...

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Where do I sign up for overseer again?

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Ugath, O Ugath
Spare us from the light
It is a disease of sky and soul

Ugath, O Ugath
Spare us from disease
It comes in the mornings and spreads as fire, leaving only the weak and deformed

Ugath, O Ugath
Spare us from deformity
Let our warriors fight strong, let only enemies blood be spilt and let disease leave us untouched

Ugath, O Ugath
Spare us from yourself
That we may not need to pray again

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

How's my dwarf faring? Haven't heard much of her for a while!

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Instead of "The Severed Part Flies off in an Arc" it'd be "Whoops" "Sorry" and "Excuse me"

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

:smith: I was doing so well too!

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Signed up, here's to hoping. :)

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

At least you're not dead! :(