Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rurik
Mar 5, 2010

Thief
Warrior
Gladiator
Grand Prince
Oh boy oh boy oh boy! I've been waiting for this since I found Gemclod last summer. By then it was way too late to participate, so I've been keeping an eye on the progress of the new LP - and it's finally here!

Too bad Leperflesh posted this thread when it was over 1:00 in the night over here. I could've stayed up of course, but I really didn't want to keep my girlfriend awake because of an Internet dwarf game. Luckily at 4:00 I had a dream in which this LP was already started and everybody who got dwarfed played this game on a common server with an FPS view. While I was dreaming I realized DF doesn't look like Minecraft which made me wake up and check out the forums with my phone - and the LP was up for several hours! 122nd place on the dwarfing list isn't at all what I had hoped, but that's probably before the game reaches its midpoint (if 300+ dwarves is really expected).

Hopefully I'll get assigned to military as requested and my dwarf gets to do something impossibly unprobable and noteworthy. :black101: I gather that's my most likely shot at becoming anything else than a background figure. Probably I'll get killed by wildlife though.

Anyway, I'll be enjoying this LP mighty much! Haven't read the prologue yet, I'll be riding on a train for eight hours after an hour and decided to save it for that. I have an exam on political and diplomatic history from 1500s to the present day three days from now, but eh. Dwarf Fortress.

Rurik fucked around with this message at 08:29 on Jun 24, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rurik
Mar 5, 2010

Thief
Warrior
Gladiator
Grand Prince

Shorter Than Some posted:

Yeah but could we have a thread rule of not pointing it out if someone notices an obvious giveaway?
We could and we should.

Rurik
Mar 5, 2010

Thief
Warrior
Gladiator
Grand Prince
Ugh, I've been sitting in the train for five hours now and what I need is an update. I crave my fix! :argh: Of course Leperflesh should really concentrate on quality instead of rushing, but it's really awesome to have this finally going.

By the way, I'm for that idea that proposed building the fortress at least partially in the caverns. Would be different.

Of course Leperflesh can also level entire parts of map in order to build a keep.

Build the fortress across the brook. Or a butchery. Flowing water will keep the diseases and miasma away. :ssh:

Rurik
Mar 5, 2010

Thief
Warrior
Gladiator
Grand Prince

Farecoal posted:

I'm confused by the writing style, what happened in the prologue?
I think one of the fortresses (Ripewhips) succumbed either to the goblins or a Forgotten Beast disease.

Rurik
Mar 5, 2010

Thief
Warrior
Gladiator
Grand Prince
Cool, the first actual update! It's nice to see the earth being stricken and the first foundations of the future dwarven metropolis being laid.

I just hope Bad Munki doesn't end up comatose this time.

Leperflesh posted:

The kestrel soars over the tainted land across the brook. Bad Munki jokes perhaps it hunts ghosts but it is not funny.

It would be hilarious if that kestrel would be to die somehow over there and return as flying undead bird of... death. I think we'll be seeing some wildlife from Over There relatively soon anyway.

The pantheon is really great. Tithleth and Ugath have especially appropriate names.

Rurik
Mar 5, 2010

Thief
Warrior
Gladiator
Grand Prince

Internet Kraken posted:

People ask me a lot of questions. Questions like "what is the best way to cripple a goblin so you can terrify all his friends?". Course having been killing for over 65 years I know the answer, but I ain't inclined to tell no one. Why? Cause that ain't the question you should be asking me. Any dumb dwarf who's spent a year in the army can tell you how to fight a goblin, cause that's all we do. Now instead you should be asking "how are we gonna stop a horde of undead ghouls from tearing us apart?".

The answer? Kill everything. Every last animal that ain't been tamed needs to die. Why? Cause they ain't smart enough to stay out of the evil. I mean the real evil, not some silly moral concept of right and wrong. The kind that poisons the land and twists critters into horrible things. That is the biggest threat to all civilized folk. But of course nobody listens to me. They just say I'm a crazy old man and go back to killing goblins and elves and whoever else offended them at the time. But I know what the real threat is. One day, the sky is gonna be covered in undead kestrels and all the dwarves will come running to me and shout "Save us!" and I'll whisper "No."

That's how the worlds gonna end. Might as well kill some zombies before it happens though.

Your entry reminded me of something, so I changed it a bit.

By the way, I imagined what would be if civilizations in DF entered modern era at some point and developed nuclear weapons. At first point it might seem wise to nuke evil areas, because their objectively evil, but instead of a corrupting, poisonous wasteland you'd have a corrupting, poisonous and radioactive wasteland. :haw: Imagine all the mutant zombies and dust husks.

The addition of the undead actually expands the possibilities of what might kill this fort. Should we hold a lottery? Everyone could bet if it's the undead, Forgotten Beasts, goblin sieges or demons that do it.

Somehow this conveys the feeling of space under ground much better than actual DF screenshots from much larger fortress areas do. It's eerie. :3:

Oh, and a DF LP with dinosaurs in unforeseeable future would be really cool. Jurassic Fort.

Rurik
Mar 5, 2010

Thief
Warrior
Gladiator
Grand Prince
Wow, Over There is really dangerous. I didn't think such poisonous clouds could cross the brook Over Here though. :psydwarf: I wonder what it does. So far no animals have strayed into it, but it's only a matter of time.

Can undead husk kangaroos carry deadly dust in their pouches? Deadly kangaroo undeath strike corps!

Rurik
Mar 5, 2010

Thief
Warrior
Gladiator
Grand Prince

Leperflesh posted:

A Dwarf Tile is 2m square

An Embark Tile is 48 by 48 Dwarf Tiles, thus 96 meters square

a World Tile is 16 by 16 Embark Tiles, thus 1536 meters square

A Medium World is 128 x 128 Embark Tiles, thus 196608 meters square, or about 197 kilometers square

Thus it contains about 38.65 million square kilometers of room.

Bronzestabbed is 4 World Tiles from the edge of mountainous terrain and 7 from the mountain peaks.

So it is about 6.1km from the edge of the mountains and 10.8km from the nearest peaks.

Sooo, yeah I guess that image of the nearby mountains is actually really accurate. Also the "world" is really just a small slice of what an actual planet of reasonable size would have. Or even a continent of reasonable size.
Wait, the prologue says the dwarves became The Noble Work in the early winter of 235. They arrived to Bronzestabbed at the last day of 235. It took you a year to travel a distance of... what exactly? :psydwarf:

What were you doing all that time?! :aaaaa:

Leperflesh posted:

Also I say "x kilometers square" meaning, a square of x kilometers per side.

Whereas "x square kilometers" is longhand for x2km.
Am I understanding you correctly, the latter ain't x km2? So for example "10 square kilometres" would be 102 kilometres which is equal to 10*10 kilometres which is equal to 100 kilometres? Or do you mark the square kilometres in the US differently than here in Europe?

Loden Taylor posted:

I wrote a piece in commemoration of this fortress's founding and in anticipation of its inevitable horrific end.

Wow, this is just awesome! Did you draw inspiration from Moonlight Sonata perhaps? It's one of my favorite pieces and I'm getting the same kind of feelings from this. And it's also clearly different - the violin does it.

Dr. Demon posted:

Personally, I'm imagining it being played over a slow-motion montage of dwarf after dwarf dying in increasingly horrific fashion.
Played by some dwarf - possibly the Overseer - in the Great Hall why a bit farther in the corridors a battle between desperate dwarves and their bloodthirsty, turned-to-husk kin rages on. As this beautiful piece of music progresses, the sounds of battle come closer and yet at the same time fade away.

Camera zooms out. The Overseer is alone playing the piano at the very end of the piece - and surrounded by the husks covered with the blood of the dwarves they fought against. The Overseer looks at the piano, but knows they are there - not moving, only listening. The piece ends. The Overseer sighs and looks down. Lights fade out. End.

Rurik
Mar 5, 2010

Thief
Warrior
Gladiator
Grand Prince
Someone should accuse Toady of lack of realism and demand realistic sized worlds in next updates. That should nicely postpone any changes into an unforeseeable future.

Rurik
Mar 5, 2010

Thief
Warrior
Gladiator
Grand Prince
That was amazing. :golfclap:

If only our histories would be like that.

"In 1066, the human William de Normandie became a king in England."

"In 2008, the human Barack Obama became a president in USA."

Rurik
Mar 5, 2010

Thief
Warrior
Gladiator
Grand Prince
Cool, first migrants! A surprisingly small wave though, but that's no problem. If this gets going slow, it means it'll be longer.

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Ha! Hope you can keep that up when you get 50 dwarves at once.

Also drat is my dwarf a real downer. He's a cultist with a dead wife and he makes things out of bones.
Actually your dwarf sounds really cool for roleplaying purposes. He can be the doom monger of the fort!

Triskelli posted:

Hah, going to try my hand at writing a journal entry. A husband and wife with their freshly hatched Guinea Fowl. Apparently this is what a keet looks like:

:allears:
Aww. :3:

Boing posted:

The sound of picks. Muscled arms sweat from labour, toiling endlessly amid the depths of the earth. Ever deeper they plunge, ceasing not for thirst nor fatigue, for there is no prize greater than the riches beneath.

Wow, the rhythm is really cool! Definitely dwarfy. And I detect no amateurish-ness from the piece despite being a total amateur myself!

Rurik
Mar 5, 2010

Thief
Warrior
Gladiator
Grand Prince

markus_cz posted:

Okay, so we've already established this was a false alarm. Still, let me just say...

...you should never, ever do this. DON'T warn overseers about possible vulnerabilities in their plans. If you spot one, keep it for yourself and giggle at how clever you are.

But the LP is fun when unexpected events happen, and if people warned the overseers about any possible danger, there would be no fun.
Yeah, this would be great. Actually, should we have some "LP rules" in the OP? A few rows about what's not welcome for the sake of this thread's Fun. Pointing out potential mistakes and spoilers would really be it.

Which reminds me...

Leperflesh posted:

Naturally anyone who grabs the save is exposed to massive spoilers and is strictly forbidden from ruining the fun by posting details or even oblique hints about anything in the game that hasn't been explicitly exposed by Overseers. No "oh ho ho just you guys wait" or "oh man Leperfish really did a number" or "OMG I can't wait till what happens next month". That poo poo is really really annoying to the audience.
Wouldn't it be better and safer to just not give the save to anyone but future overseers? If someone does post something spoiling, it would be as difficult to unmake as putting demons back into Hell.

And updates delayed by a day or two every now and then are fine. :) What shall we do now though? Talk about the dwarven pantheon?

Sotsa's journal entry was really great by the way. What do people think, was that (avatar of) Ugath or some his disciple? I like to think the former - in which case taking that book was even worse idea than in the case of the latter.

Fadedmaggoty is a great piece of music, even better than Loden Taylor's first. I wonder what kind of piece you could make about Ugath. :aaa:

Rurik
Mar 5, 2010

Thief
Warrior
Gladiator
Grand Prince

OrangeSoda posted:

...Since when did link get a sex change?
When he she found her sister.

Rurik
Mar 5, 2010

Thief
Warrior
Gladiator
Grand Prince

Triskelli posted:

Within day's journey of Bronzestabbed, as told by map. Cannot spot outpost in spyglass. Crack continues to dote on Geshud. Glad to see her affection, but I joke that Keet is very tasteful when young. She punches me for that, but it is well deserved.
(...)(...)

Calling it now, that keet becomes one of the most beloved characters in this LP, possibly its mascot. It will be a real day of tragedy when it dies/turns into a husk.

Actually the only winning condition of this LP is that the keet is still alive while every dwarf is dead. And not caged.

Rurik fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Jun 30, 2012

Rurik
Mar 5, 2010

Thief
Warrior
Gladiator
Grand Prince

Fitzy Fitz posted:

I'm rooting for Urist the dog.
A keet is cuter than a dog. :colbert:

Rurik
Mar 5, 2010

Thief
Warrior
Gladiator
Grand Prince
:aaa:

Wow, to think that this kind of procedurally generated game now has this kind of setting and story. This LP is no longer about dwarves just doing stuff in a fort and about emergent gameplay, it has a purpose.

Though there are no scripted events so it's really unlikely the Necro King will appear to us at some point.

Also, was this planned?

Leperflesh posted:

“In the midwinter of 36, Athel became obsessed with his own mortality and sought to extend his life by any means.”

In the late summer of 82, 'The Dwarf: Problems And Solutions' was created in Frosthammers by Athel.

Sotsa posted:

There, in the middle of the carnage, I saw his tome, a small stump of the chain remained attached to the cover.

I ran down, and grabbed the book, then got away from there as fast as I could.

Rurik
Mar 5, 2010

Thief
Warrior
Gladiator
Grand Prince

Internet Kraken posted:

EDIT: Unless that actually isn't the case, the wiki isn't entirely clear. Still, if Bronzestabbed is in an evil biome that is merely sinister and has not resurrecting corpses it is the wimpiest, most pathetic hell hole ever. The murk might no even do anything.
I hope that's not the case, it would be boring.

Rurik
Mar 5, 2010

Thief
Warrior
Gladiator
Grand Prince
And thus the first year has come to pass. Excellent writing, Leperflesh, and greatly built suspense regarding that kestrel. :golfclap: Not to mention your world building, which has already been praised. This fortress has a purpose!

I wonder what kind of turn the fate of the fort will take next. Every overseer is different and I'm getting the feeling that Leperflesh is the more careful kind. We've avoided disasters thus far, but what if some jingoistic Internet Kraken gets elected and decides to charge into the murk? Actually, that would be badass! :black101:

Anyway, now we really know that Over There is dangerous and what it actually does. Though does anyone care to enlighten me what's the actual difference between a dust husk and a fiendish murk zombie?

Vox Nihili posted:

They are not beyond redemption, though- perhaps some sort of cleansing atonement is in order?
Was this a Wool reference?

Rurik
Mar 5, 2010

Thief
Warrior
Gladiator
Grand Prince
Making fun of elves is fun, but I'm seconding the request that we don't piss elves off on purpose. I want to have the exotic animals they bring (so they can run off into the murk...)

Rurik
Mar 5, 2010

Thief
Warrior
Gladiator
Grand Prince
Yeah, zero tolerance for spoilers.

Rurik
Mar 5, 2010

Thief
Warrior
Gladiator
Grand Prince

Grittybeard posted:

If it helps any I missed the opening of this by somewhere around 18 hours and ended up in the 300s for dwarfing. Everyone loves a DF LP.

e: Closer to 24 hours it looks like. Either way people were ready for this.
I'm a European and it was bed time for me while Leperflesh still hadn't posted this LP. I kept f5ing till really going to sleep. However, I woke up all by myself at 4 AM local time without any alarm clock or anything. The LP had been up for three hours by then and I got the OK-ish 122nd place.

Dedicated like a dwarf! :black101:

Rurik
Mar 5, 2010

Thief
Warrior
Gladiator
Grand Prince

Fargo Fukes posted:

Dedicated like a dwarf means going to bed for a week just as the LP goes up. Then once you get up you drink, eat and go on break. Then someone organises a party by the *Schist Table*. You eventually get around to reading the LP in November.
You got it wrong, I didn't apply for overseership.

Rurik
Mar 5, 2010

Thief
Warrior
Gladiator
Grand Prince

Boing posted:

Oh god everyone's undead
Fixed it for you.

Rurik
Mar 5, 2010

Thief
Warrior
Gladiator
Grand Prince

Bad Munki posted:

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuck

I promise to get my legos out. I'm sure I don't have enough to do the entire fort, but I'll at least do the parts we've dug out. This is such a wonderful idea.

Also, if you don't know what to do with the cassiterite, put me in charge of it! Cassiterite ore is super valuable for an early military. :ohdear:

Three-Phase posted:

Dwarf Fortress is so cruel.
If legos turn out to be this fort's Thing, it would be really cool.

A nice update! It's cool to have so much babies in such a short timespan, it fits with the theme of a young fort. :) Now it's just important to keep the babies away from the murk, lest we get zombie babies sieging us.

Revenant Threshold posted:

I think dwarf me is going to grow up to be one of those people who blathers on and on about their favourite subject. I hope you all like hearing about voracious cave crawlers!
Voraciousssss cave crawlerssssss...

Rurik
Mar 5, 2010

Thief
Warrior
Gladiator
Grand Prince
Wow, action! I wonder how Nomikos will handle this. Will a tantrum be thrown?

Also waiting for John Charity Spring's post. Too bad we can't have a werebaby overseer, but a ghostly baby overseer is still a possibility...

Rurik
Mar 5, 2010

Thief
Warrior
Gladiator
Grand Prince

JamieTheD posted:

Interlude 3: An Excerpt from Understanding the Beast, by James Imagefishing, 320
That was an interesting journal entry and it was great how History was woven into the narrative. At least now we know where the werehyena came from. Poor jeweler.

Rurik
Mar 5, 2010

Thief
Warrior
Gladiator
Grand Prince

Internet Kraken posted:

So my two soldiers are a teenager that can barely hold a crossbow straight and an incredibly old man that could keel over 3 years from now. Fun times.
:emo: Ugh, this crossbow is WAY too heavy!
:corsair: When I was young, the world was half the age it is today.

Internet Kraken posted:

I doubt a goblin slave master could make respectable soldiers out of these dwarves, and I am supposed to lead them against creatures of the night? Is this whole fort just a loving joke to the nobles?
Somehow this just captures the essence of this fort perfectly. :D

Also, apparently the elves didn't bring any exotic animals? Or didn't you JamieTheD purchase any from them? I'd really have loved some giant scorpions.

Leperflesh, I checked the dwarfing list and didn't find Sankis from there. I also can't recall someone named that posting. Is that dwarf someone you just made up or is it a goon like us?

And also, could you please modify my dwarfing preferences? I wanted to be a militarydwarf, but what I want to be now is either a noble or a militarydwarf. So please add noble there if you could, I'm 122nd on the list.

Actually, I just went and look and now I'm 124th. Have some dwarves been secretly added into the front of the queue? Not that it's serious if so and even more less if an overseer wants to be dwarved or something, but I thought I'd ask.

Rurik
Mar 5, 2010

Thief
Warrior
Gladiator
Grand Prince

Kennel posted:

I suggest everyone forgets the Pony-chat ASAP before it devours the thread.
I suggest an overseer requests some ponies from a trade caravan. :colbert:

Rurik
Mar 5, 2010

Thief
Warrior
Gladiator
Grand Prince

JamieTheD posted:

EDIT: Also, ENGRAVE JCS' TOMB, DAMMIT! I wasn't able to in the reload, so that's my own mandate... WE MUST REMEMBER JOHN CHARITY SPRINGS!
It would be great if JCS became some sort of symbolic figure for Bronzestabbed, in the manner of Fight Club.

HIS NAME WAS JOHN CHARITY SPRING!

Rurik
Mar 5, 2010

Thief
Warrior
Gladiator
Grand Prince

FinalSin posted:

I can imagine few things more unsettling than having an army whose cloaks all bear an image of a dead child on the back. Clothiers, get to work.
A logo for this LP.

Rurik
Mar 5, 2010

Thief
Warrior
Gladiator
Grand Prince

Pozzo posted:

gently caress graphics packs, by the way. You don't ask for novels to be rendered in tilesets! NOBODY WANTS A PIXEL ART TECHNICAL DRAWING, DAMMIT

That's because nobody reads technical drawings in their spare time for fun (at least nobody who's not a bit weird). Things that are meant for fun on the other hand are representative. For example, blocks of legos that represent grass are green and look like grass. You won't find some grey legos with "GRASS" written on them anywhere.

Rurik
Mar 5, 2010

Thief
Warrior
Gladiator
Grand Prince

LeJackal posted:

I agree. I would hate to see this devolve into a popularity contest that shuts out new, possibly awesome overseers.
Seconding this.

Rurik
Mar 5, 2010

Thief
Warrior
Gladiator
Grand Prince

TildeATH posted:

Speaking of which, where the hell is OhCrap?
Probably went "oh crap oh crap!" after seeing he was chosen and closed the browser.

Rurik
Mar 5, 2010

Thief
Warrior
Gladiator
Grand Prince
The quality of this LP is simply spectacular. :)

It occured to me, how do people pronounce Ugath? Does 'u' sound like 'you'? If that's the case, the name sounds eerily like Yuggoth. :cthulhu:

Rurik
Mar 5, 2010

Thief
Warrior
Gladiator
Grand Prince
This has been really fun. I've been away from the Internet connection since monday (well, I went to a public wifi hotspot a few times) and there was a lot of great reading to catch up. Also, yay, about 12 dorfs and it's my turn! :haw:

I finally remembered what OhCrap's style reminds me of.

Rurik
Mar 5, 2010

Thief
Warrior
Gladiator
Grand Prince
Pretty soon we should rename the fort Babymurder. Or Babymurder-by-mythic-beasts-of-nightmare.

Imagine the stories the dwarves tell to their children. There can be no consolation about monsters not really existing. The parents can't tell the children that no boogeymen exist. Not in a world where werehyenas tear babies apart after stealing them from their mother's arms.

Rurik
Mar 5, 2010

Thief
Warrior
Gladiator
Grand Prince
:stare:

What a massacre. Well, I should arrive at the next migrant wave and I wanted to be a militarydwarf (or a noble, but doesn't seem likely now). I just hope I have some skills (and armor!!!) so I don't immediately become target practice for goblins or something else.

Rurik
Mar 5, 2010

Thief
Warrior
Gladiator
Grand Prince
:slowclap:

I've liked all three overseers thus far, but your turn, OhCrap, really was magnificent. It's because of your style which was funny and natural, it didn't feel forced in any way. Thanks for a great turn, it was really entertaining!

It's a shame I didn't make it in time to see the Overseer Who Cries Heed. I'll probably be in the migrant wave that comes at the beginning of the next overseer's turn though, so I'll arrive at a fort with very weird atmosphere as OhCrap's overseeing will be a very recent memory for all.

e: gently caress, apparently if the last migrant wave had but one dwarf more, I'd already be here. The frustration! :v: Oh well, eagerly waiting!

Rurik
Mar 5, 2010

Thief
Warrior
Gladiator
Grand Prince

OhCrap posted:

The only reason you didn't make it was that you specified adult male dwarf. I did try to hold to people's preferences in that regard, as much as possible.
Oh my, thanks. :) Then it doesn't bother me at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rurik
Mar 5, 2010

Thief
Warrior
Gladiator
Grand Prince

Zapdos posted:

:woop: Haha alright! Lets get this party started! (Tomorrow, I go to work in about 30 minutes)
What's your email address?
SA username at gmail dot com.

• Locked thread