Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lord_Ventnor
Mar 30, 2010

The Worldwide Deadly Gangster Communist President
I'm 81st in line. That's some kind of record for me!

Anyway, looking forward to this, and hoping that I survive longer than a single update this time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord_Ventnor
Mar 30, 2010

Demiurge4 posted:

We should build a temple to Ugath on the far side of the river. Or just wall the whole thing off and divert a portion of the river through steel wallgrates to form a lake we can siphon inside to build wells.

gently caress the undead.

I like this idea.

Of course, building temples to all the Gods would be ideal, but one thing at a time.

Lord_Ventnor
Mar 30, 2010

OhCrap posted:

It is a Heisenberg Engraving. It is many things at once, and only once observed does the waveform collapse into whatever it is at that time.

Dwarf Fortress physics.

Quantum Dwarfchanics?

Lord_Ventnor
Mar 30, 2010

I think the lesson that Binkdok's death taught us is that the bad weasel is bad.

At any rate, the murk is looking more and more ominous; first a vanishing undead kestrel, and now a dwarficidal weasel? This really is the place of evil's origin!

Which is why I'll be moving here in the next migration! :v:

Lord_Ventnor
Mar 30, 2010

Black Griffon posted:

Well, the good news is that my dwarf is just thirty sports away, any you've surely taken care of the ogre boy ogress problem by then.

Yep. Foolproof.

Come on, man. Use proper terminology. :colbert:

Lord_Ventnor
Mar 30, 2010

A blacksmith, huh? I can work with that.

Lord_Ventnor
Mar 30, 2010

Colon V posted:

I just want to say that i poo poo trains is my hero now.

He's the best son a dwarf could ask for!

The Journal of Ventnor Zozstakud, 25th Felsite 238

It's been an arduous journey, but I finally made it. Not that I'm a stranger to travel, of course. I've experienced a lot of things in my time, after all.

Experience, really, was what drove me here. Both of my children, Zaodai and i poo poo trains have been making a name for themselves here. Making me and their mother proud (not that I'd say that in public. Need to keep a proper stoic front and all that). However, I'd heard that i poo poo trains lost his son, Jon Charity Spring. And while dwarves are capable of many things, abandoning their family isn't one of them. At least, not the dwarves in our family.

So I left with overthefalls for Kilrudzat. When we made it, the first thing I did after meeting up with my children was to see the tomb. The overseers here may be of limited competence, but I'll always be thankful that my grandchild was honored the way he was. While I will never get to know the kind of dwarf he would have been, I at least am happy that he seems to have made a positive impact on the fort.

I suspect I may see him soon. My old bones aren't what they used to be, although I still can swing a hammer well enough that I was drafted into the Stormy Lancers. No problem with that, though; someone's got to keep the Fortress safe, and I get to see how my son fights. There was a close call with a cave spider the other day, but seeing him run off kobolds the other day put a smile on my face.

Hopefully I'll be able to keep any other grandkids that may pop up alive. Kill a few goblins before Ugath sees fit to knock me over. I'll see soon enough, I suppose.

Lord_Ventnor
Mar 30, 2010

Welp...

My bio said that my dwarf was incredibly weak. Several times. It was bound to happen.

Zaodai, you better stay alive to continue the family name!

Lord_Ventnor
Mar 30, 2010

This parchment was found lying on Zaodai's bed. The craftdwarfship is of the highest quality.

A Letter to Zaodai From His Father

Son,

If you're reading this, it's probably because I have passed on. I will not say do not mourn me, but I do ask that you not let my death consume your life. If possible, I'd like you and your brother to look out for each other, but I also know that the life our family leads is a dangerous one, and you might not be able to do that.

I'd like you know of something. There is a story in our family, that we are cursed. One of our ancestors, lost to history, is said to have offended Ugath himself. I spent my life trying to appease the God, so that the curse might be lifted. I fear that I failed though, after I heard that your nephew died. I can only hope that my blood will be the last that Ugath needs for whatever purpose he cursed our family for.

Do not lose hope, though. You are a resourceful and talented dwarf, and while I may not have said it out loud, I am proud of the things you've accomplished. You have the makings of a fine warrior, and I'm sure our ancestors will welcome you to Dwarfhalla when it is your time (although I hope it will be a while before I see you again).

Know, Son, that I love you and that I will be looking over you as you put your life on the line for your beliefs. You will achieve greatness, I have no doubt.

Your loving father,

Ventnor Ponderedmachines

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord_Ventnor
Mar 30, 2010

Zapdos posted:

^Better behave or Gnu Sheriff in Town and his posse will come "wrestle" with you.

There are already designated to tombs, Kelli and Kaboom were just sitting on the coffins refusing to go and get them. I'll try deconstructing and reconstructing the tombs, maybe that will work.

I know, I was getting a headache just thinking about how I would reorganize things.

If we could be buried by John Charity Springs, that would be nice. Make it a family tomb, since we've given so much blood (and beatings) to this fortress.

And Zaodai! What did I tell you about murdering someone when there are witnesses around? :argh:

• Locked thread