Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax
I want a minecart named after me. Or a torture chamber. Where's the Google Doc for that, smart guy?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

Leperflesh posted:

If only Toady implemented the ability to name things other than dwarves! Well... you can name dormitories, too. Would you prefer to be a dormitory instead of a dwarf?

Instead? Not unless the dormitory does something heroic.

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

Triskelli posted:

Considering how these LPs go, we'll probably wind up having to collapse the dormitory onto the Forgotten Beast of the Week.

Note to self: create hanging dormitories during overseer turn.

You know, they could mount the dormitory on minecarts and elect it mayor. Dwarfs are like that.

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

Bad Munki posted:

Based on the screenshots in the OP, I put this together.

Wagon is at normal color, down is darker, up is lighter. If I had higher-res screenshots, I would gladly do this again, or in the future as the fortress grows. Of course, this only works for above-ground features.

Although I bet I could use dfhack to do this automatically, unless there's already a similar tool out there...

Beautiful. Didn't somebody demo something like this for DF a couple years back?

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

Bad Munki posted:

Yeah, sorta. It was a demo video that wasn't actually functional, but showed "here's what it could look like." Sorta like those UI mockups people do from time to time.

That's what I remember, too. It's so much more aesthetically pleasing than the cartoonish graphics in Stonesense, though I suppose you could achieve something of the same effect by darkening the Stonesense tiles.

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

Grey Hunter posted:

So I made a thing, its a bit rough, and some of the trees may be flying, but its good enough to show.

Then again, I've not touched my 3D Modelling program in about 2 years.

Grey Hunter, are you gunning for God of LPs and lovely 3D models?

That's beautiful. Care to give a short post on how interested folks could do the same?

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

sebmojo posted:

Fixed the trailing 'E' with my 'leet MSPaint skills.

Might also want to make it looked a bit more lived in by lifting off the texture of the sword and overlaying it semi-transparent-like.

Once upon a time, this was not considered MSP skills, but not anymore.

So, I just found out you can't edit an embedded image, how cool...

Only registered members can see post attachments!

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

markus_cz posted:

No, I mean... :spergin:

And we have the subtitle for the thread.

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

PotatoManJack posted:

I think it's time to think outside that box. If we can't make it safe to go to the water, then we'll have to make the water come to the dwarves. I think it's time for Projct: Pond Create

Just channel out a litte passage which connects up to a man made pond which is on safe ground, and before you know it, you'll have a nice place full of turtles that is safe from evil mists. I can taste the yummy turtle tripe bickies already.

Then it came back and got in my turtles and they went bad.

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax
These took more effort than they should have and probably don't even look like they did...

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

SynthOrange posted:

Ripewhips is overrun with goblins. Pagetin? Turkeys.

One war at a time.

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

Leperflesh posted:

Excuses...

You worthless piece of garbage. I'd come to respect you, even love you, but now, I can't even look at you.

Nah, just kidding. This has been great and I'm glad that you're setting the tone for future overseers, both in gameplay and pace. So what's the procedure for the mad scramble for the next overseership? I've got an idea for my turn...

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

Bad Munki posted:

Agreed.

Heck, if you make one for each of the gods, I'll give you one as an avatar. :)

If you make one for each of the God's I'll also give one to one of your faithful worshippers of your/their choice.

LPs are always better when financially lubricated.

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

Grey Hunter posted:

They....are?

That's it, I'm monetizing my Youtube account and switching WITP to daily video updates.

Let the money roll!

You don't understand, the goal of LP investment is to promote activity. How much more activity could we possibly expect from you? Unless, of course, you're offering to start acting out all the roles. I'd buy somebody an avatar to see you play Tojo.

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax
Leperflesh did a great job expanding on the Bravemule style of really incorporating the language of the game into the LP. I particularly enjoyed his narration of Athel's turn toward evil. The language, and the reference to the existing stories in the Legends, help embed the LP within the world. Kudos to Leperflesh for having a strong storyline in mind and embracing it.

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

Frida? Is that you?

It should be titled something strange and pretentious, like "Breakfast in Isfahan."

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

Vox Nihili posted:

"kestral" means "god-eater"

The next overseer should trap the zombie kestrel and name it whatever this is in Dwarfspeak. And then mount the cage somewhere dark and dastardly.

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax
I bet all those guys getting dwarfed in the high 300s are smiling right now.

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

Leperflesh posted:

For this particular turn, I'm requesting that the overseer have significant experience with the current version of Dwarf Fortress (for probably obvious reasons).

UraniumAnchor posted:

Locked doors, perhaps?

Oh dear...

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

Krysmphoenix posted:

Leapingfishstick!

Can we name the main hall this?

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax
I'm going to take one for the community and ask what's the official policy for expecting updates? I realize no mortal man could maintain Leapingfishstick's pace, but hasn't it already been three days and we don't even have a single real update?

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

FinalSin posted:

Was the previous update not a real update? I thought it was.

I took this:

JamieTheD posted:

Hokay, I have something small to show for what I've done so far

To mean that no, it was just a sort of a small piece of bloody meat thrown to the starving, mad wolves.

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

Colon V posted:

There's one thing less deadly than wood: a cotton candy blunt weapon, which has a density not unlike styrofoam.

Don't do this. Please. No "clown cars" or "candy" or other BTS forum nonsense. The only person you're protecting was some Bangladeshi mom, and she just breached Hell last night using the Demon Fortress with its upright masterwork adamantine weapon, that if you grab, opens the trap door and all the many demons and devils, from hell, come out, and have to be fought with adamantine-clad and -armed troops. And she did a really bang-up job because she went to Vox's arena thread and found out that adamantine is great for swords and axes.

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

Kennel posted:

And if we get 10,000 supporters, there's a chance for an official Dwarf Fortress Lego set (like that Minecraft set).
http://lego.cuusoo.com/

Why hasn't this happened already?

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

Revenant Threshold posted:

Good to see that my lack of empathy and poor understanding of social situations doesn't get in the way of my enjoying them.

I think dwarf me is going to grow up to be one of those people who blathers on and on about their favourite subject. I hope you all like hearing about voracious cave crawlers!

Like some kind of ASCII, alcoholic, midget Cliff Clavin?

"It's a little known fact that voracious cave crawlers are actually quite satisfied after their meals."

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

Three-Phase posted:

It's PARTY TIME!

The graffiti should refer to him as "Leapingfishstick" but otherwise it's perfect.

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax
Dwarf Fortress Starter Set
Levers, barrels, floodgates, cats, bearded babies
Evil Biome Expansion Set
Eyeball grass, fiendish clouds, necromancer
Adventure Mode Expansion Set
Sewers, drunks, bogeymen
Demonic Fortress Expansion Set
Just a giant box of "slade-colored" bricks
Best Moments Expansion Set
Includes iron chair-laying geese, a butterfly to stick in the door, a really mean carp, an Arsenal Dwarf and a Dungeon Master.

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

Pozzo posted:

Grumble mutter curse

Hey man, sometimes you just gotta lego of these things.

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

Nomikos posted:

I have been counseled to keep a record for dealing with stress.
pre:
+-----------------------------------------------------------+
| `Nomikos' Berinal seems unwilling to trade.               |
|                                                           |
+-- The Noble Work ------------+-- The Fiendish Murk -------+
| *dwarven baby*       28Γ [T] | werehyena       191Γ  [T] |
|                              |                            |
|                              |                            |
+------------------------------+----------------------------+
I do not see the point.

Genius.

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

TremendousMajestic posted:

I've got to ask: what was the fishy business with the screenshots?

One of the screenshots showed a Werecarp in the unit list, which hadn't yet been mentioned, and so it sort of spoiled the next update. But we all made a blood oath to not mention it ever again.

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

Van Kraken posted:

Edit that out, man! I didn't know until now!

e: Wait, am I being messed with? I don't even know anymore. :v:

Why would I edit it out now, it was already revealed on the real LP thread.

And how many Krakens we got on this ship?

Edit:

Angela Christine posted:

A nice slow mauling ending in death is the best outcome from a were* attack. If the attack doesn't kill the victim can turn into a were* later, in the middle of your dining room or hospital. If the were kills too quickly, it will move on to kill more dwarfs. With a werething you really want him to take his time, savor the moment.

A werebaby woulda been so cool.

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

Bad Munki posted:

Perhaps it could adopt itself.

And each mode would get angrier at every transformation due to the loss of the other.

Oh my God, you've solved the mystery of why lycanthropes are so angry.

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

Qwo posted:

A month and a half in a little over a week?

Totally untenable (and frankly dragging) pace. That's a 2 month (plus) turn.

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

JamieTheD posted:

So calm the hell down, I'm not going to be keeping the save for more than the end of this week. Renaming dorfs now, working on shiz, expect update by late tonight.

You're kidding, right? I'm not enraged, I'm simply pointing out something we all know, which is that turns for LPs like this run the risk of taking forever, which is annoying to everybody and was important enough to Leperflesh that he emphasized it when he set up the game. Now, if you're going to do the first month and a half in one week and the next ten and a half months in four days, then that's great (but admittedly strange, right?), but at your current pace, the turn is going to last more than two real months, which is more than a tad slow and justifies the concern that some folks have already expressed about the pace of this thing.

You shouldn't be so taken aback by any of this.

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

Vox Nihili posted:

I, for one, could never imagine updating an LP at such a glacial pace!

Now, see, if he had a Latin username rather than a Welsh one, then I think we would all be willing to give him a little more time to stretch things out a bit. Or maybe it's the Mr. Rogers avatar, which looks very sober and trustworthy. Either way, there are significant, scientific differences.

Seriously, though, I don't think anybody is piling on or being aggressive, it's natural to be annoyed by it. Unless it's Vox doing the updates, then you're just a dick for thinking he's taking too long. A complete dick.

That's right, Star Guarded, I'm looking at you.

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

I want to be very clear here, this style is strangely compelling and you should continue to make these. I'm a weird guy, so keep that in mind, but I've been in many museums and shows where I would not be surprised to see this hanging up. I think they're a stark counterpoint to the Legos Movement.

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

Qwo posted:

Seeing someone I don't recognize get overseership makes me nervous. :ohdear:

All I've seen is a dozen Leapingfishstick posts without an overseer being named...

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

Leperflesh posted:

I can see why it got lost amidst all the posts of me thrashing around incompetently, but the announcement was here.

Ah, I didn't notice that. The guy whose avatar, username, and a startling number of whose posts all involve faeces. This should be very interesting.

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

SirPenguin posted:

It is here, in Bronzestabbed, that we will build again. Another temple must be erected, larger than before. Across the river, to the north.

Into the breath of Ugath.

It's about time some Overseer started setting up burrows to keep the creepy dwarfs away from the well-adjusted ones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

Leperflesh posted:

Thank you, Bene. This is a major factor in why I came up with the current scheme. I want to encourage "new blood". I want Overseers who are ready to play now, hence the business with signing up right when it's time to hand off a save, and I want everyone to have a fair chance, hence the random selection from among those. I don't just want a popularity contest.

This is an experiment, of course, and it might not work out. But let's give it a good shot, and that means we don't panic as soon as one or two goons show up that we're not familiar with.

I wouldn't mind a little bit of mob rule. I think it wouldn't just be familiar overseers that were selected but also notable contributors. For instance, if Nomiskos was one of the options, I'd vote for him (her? it?) because of the quality of that one journal entry, and the same for people who are contributing in that fashion.

The other side of the "same-old" coin is "don't mess with success".

• Locked thread