Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

geri_khan posted:

Oooh neat. This should be good! Looking forward to more.

Is there anything new to DF since the last big LP that we can look forward to?

Evil weather. Minecarts. Necromancers, necromancy, secrets beyond human understanding and overhauled undead. Dwarves actually putting on new clothes when the old ones wear out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

Internet Kraken posted:

Here we go again.

Calling it now; the first death will be either me or Markus. The fighters are always the first to go in evil biomes.

What, not the butcher? :ghost:

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

Maelin posted:

It'll be easy to identify vampires. :(

You only see what the current overseer wants you to see. :tinfoil:

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

Boing posted:

Looking at the embark site again. There's not much flat ground to build a Gemclod-style keep on, so I'll be interested to see what Leperfish decides to make the fort look like. Normally I try to carve my entrance into a rock face but all the slopes here seem to be mainly soil, so we'll certainly be going down a few levels.

A symmetrical eight-story tower plated with porcelain tiles. :china:

scamtank fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Jun 24, 2012

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

day 36
Bronzestabbed, in here somewhere

Chief pioneer said they bruised their heads against the green jinx down below. Copper is almost always a poor sign. Taking the room from all the proper earth wealth and making forts poor and haggardly and elastic against blows.

It makes for not very good weapons. Not very good armor, first stands a hit and then bends like reed. Not very good puzzleboxes. Maybe good carving knives, if they didn't bend so fast. Best for archers, maybe. Heavier than wood. Persuades bronze sometimes to bend too.

Dad did not worry much over the malachite. He gave it to masons for decorative floor blocks. An elf guildsman was soothed with a bin full of offered figurines. A pretty green color. He said it was the noblest of all coppers, it did not taint the earth with its presence alone. The iron and the flux tolerated its company. I only hope we strike more than the green.

At least my pots and pans won't be nethercap this time. Maybe I'll try the stew again.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

Ardeem posted:

So, is there anything in this world besides the dwarves that isn't gigantic? Even the housecats are huge.

:eng101: The descriptions are all relative to the "normal" creature size. I think a gigantic cat has only about +20% to size in relation to an average one, tops. They just really like Maine Coons.

But yeah,

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

Personally, I'm more bothered by the patchwork effect made by the subtle color differences between identical grass tiles. If we're tinkering with the tileset, I'd vouch for the "Ground Flat" option as well.

The dry and dead patches would still have their own colors, but the variation in the normal grass tiles would be reduced to two from like eight or something.

scamtank fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Jun 25, 2012

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

I like this a lot. One other thing that bothers me about tilesets is how I can't reflexively see where the tile grid is anymore. I have to count borders from some fixed terrain piece like a shrub or a tree or a corridor corner.

This answers my current and also previous gripes - look at those nice, uniform colors.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

day 87
Bronzestabbed, under my mincing station

I have tried to remember my brother's famous steel sausage recipe. It is solid and chunky, with all the disgusting eye and stomach shapes minced away from the eater's sight. I have tried for over a month now. The others have started looking at my results funny from which I know I am not at all close to the true solution. I will keep experimenting after I appease them with my stew. It turned out fine. Cannot wait to experiment with turkey egg.

I felt relief at the news of tin, but we are still precarious. Only solid granite makes it trustworthy and abundant even in times of distress. I do not know how sparse it is, but we must look deeper still. At least the militia commander can now glance human blades away.

The administrator came for the bones I took the meats off of. I do not know what he plans, but I know better than to obstruct one who is maybe touched by the gods.

I have seen the great and fell
Rithsogesthân's breath on the wind. I pray for him nightly to spare us.

scamtank fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Jun 25, 2012

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

What it starts as is totally random, but a given evil biome only puts out its own, certain sort of evil weather, yeah.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

Until now, I didn't understand why you were coveting your "just right" generated pantheons and histories. Holy gently caress.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

Owns. Pretty bare, could've used some low backing, but owns.

Also owns. I really like how I look ready to let loose another grumbling series of complaints.

scamtank fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Jun 27, 2012

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

:ssh: You can adjust zone designation so that it fills out along the floor, like a room built from a piece of furniture, instead of a painted rectangle.

day 216
Bronzestabbed, left side to the pet cage

Our bulwark thrives despite rude new arrivals. I have instructed Crackmaster in understanding our crude stone still as best I may. If we strike more tin, I will request for tubes and pots of bronze. Her first attempt in wine was as good as mine yet two of the fresh slab went without admit and drank from a dirty pond near the swirling doom instead. I would have chastised, but I am sure the fortress chief had arrangements. I consoled Crackmaster by downing double ration of her batch and reassuring it was well and decadent. She paid no mind and compared batch to her prickle berry experiment instead.

Not two days ago we struck blind stone. It is milky like seer's eyes yet as common and prevalent as near sight. Crackmaster will have good practice on it and the fool's steel made from the dining hall walls some time ago. I hope she is inspired by lord Dakas and a ring or a statuette of solid gleaming ensues. I also hear the fresh bronze is being put to the heads and hands and shoulders of our hulking militiamen. This is very early and thus good also.

I am glad to feed this many even if my sausages disappoint. Lookouts have sighted lights in the far distance past night, yet days are rainy. Tomorrow may be fogless enough for us to see visitors or invaders in proper. I hope they are visitors.

scamtank fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Jun 28, 2012

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

These own. I hope you know this.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

Loden Taylor posted:

Wrote a piece about subterfuge and court intrigue and whatever else the mysterious Sankis gets up to.

Follia variations are very paint-by-numbers, but they're fun to write.

This is the best so far.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

Pickled Tink posted:

You can get multiple if you embark on multiple evil biomes. I assume Leperflesh did not do so here.

I've had all three conditions in a Terrifying bog. Whether savageness plays a role should be put to experiment.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

Volmarias posted:

I swear this guy needs to spend some time on UX/polish instead of the "fun" things; we have the ability to resize the screen by scrolling the mousewheel (hooray!) but the trade depot still cuts off items at like 15 characters, no matter how far you scroll.

Hearteningly enough, this April/May was spectacular in that regard. It's like he's finally getting in the groove of sprinkling overhauling between the fun bloat bits.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

Did you miss the Games thread by a board or two?

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

Leperflesh posted:

I may patch it again to adjust exactly who can and can't scratch/bite.

Whether the primitive humanoids should bite at all is really down to preference - the extra opportunity attack isn't that harmful to the combat AI, werecreatures aren't affected and vampires can still suck blood without it, but I'd rather see giants pummeling dwarves instead of chewing them. Latching is the only Real Problem since creatures tend to stick to biting and shaking for the rest of the battle once they get one good grip on the target.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

Hey Leperflesh, do you have a copy of the raws/mods for your mod separate from the main game save? I want to use them but I don't want to mess with the official save.

Basically, something I could dump right in a default download of the Lazy Noob Pack.

Just get rid of the save folder. I'm working on the ASCII conversion, but if you install Phoebus first, you should be able to drop in the raws without issue.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

Anchors posted:

This is why when I am Overseer, I will build a community swimming pool. Swimming lessons are mandatory.

Vote Anchors 238!

The royal records will describe the Go Swimming With Anchors Act of 274 to be exactly as popular as it sounded.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

Less architecture plans to subvert evil infection and more updates with combat logs in them. :mad:

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

Angela Christine posted:

It looks like Animal Care has finally been fixed too. I've noticed some dwarfs skilling up in it, and my war grizzly actually recovered from several red wounds. It's pretty nice not having a bunch of crippled war dogs dragging themselves along the ground all the time. No more having to reenact Old Yeller and butcher heroic war dogs that save the fort.

!!!

This is news to me, good news. Can anyone else confirm this?

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

Three-Phase posted:

Have they changed the "feature" where even very light thrown objects (clothing) could cause fatal injuries? At least in Adventurer mode?

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

I like the cut of your beard.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

No sweat, a bunch of your audience is currently all :supaburn: over the Steam summer sale, anyway.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

Yeah, doing actual jobs with labels and being a domesticated, non-sapiently intelligent creature are mutually exclusive.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

Leperflesh posted:

scamtank or markus or someone extracted it and posted it in the DF thread. However I've made updates to it today. Since everyone wants it, I'm going to post a zip shortly even though it's still beta.

It's me, I'm the ASCII version. I'll get to work as soon as that's up.

I also documented every single changed number detail (not even Vox could recall the precise changes about his weapons) into a sperglog, it might be useful for modders. I think I'll send it your way as soon as I can update it with your new additions.

(ps I love my new job title in the dorfsheet)

scamtank fucked around with this message at 14:36 on Jul 15, 2012

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

Hold on, Pozzo. I'm working on it.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

Killed in the name of OP links.

scamtank fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Jul 16, 2012

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

Leperflesh posted:

Thank you scamtank!

I note you seem to have included all of the raw files, even ones I didn't modify. Just for convenience, or is there anything changed?

Oh, uh. Oops. Messed up the directory structure too.

I'll reupdate the archive right quick.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

Okay, now it's back up. Killed in favor of the OP links.

scamtank posted:

Well, that didn't take long. Here's Lepermod 0.1a, ready to roll.

I'll distinguish the plaintext branch with the "a" from here on in.

Trimmed to only changed files and stopped being a dumb with directories. Just slot it in over the root. There were no changes, but I want the two versions to be as alike as possible.

However, Fish, it seems like you missed the new pearl definition .txts from your proper Phoebus package. You should reup that zip one last time, too.

Is this sort of scrambling typical for DF LPs?

scamtank fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Jul 16, 2012

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

You had me at the wife-hurling.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

Besides, if there's one thing that we learned from Weepangels, it's that too much democracy just takes the wind out of an LP's sails. A steady marching succession of tyrants is a lot smoother to organize.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

quote:

This had me in stitches. Oh gently caress, my face hurts.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

Discovered on the overseer's chair, somewhere past 9th of Moonstone

BARONIAL COLONIAL OFFICE PETITIONARY FORM

Standing overseer: OhCrap Mountainmist
Petitioner: Scamtank Sabrestraps

THE PETITION IS AS SEEN:

Overseer our Advisor and Heedsman.

My quartering is in the earthen housing hall.

I look upon the floor. There is sand here.
I look within my alcove. This is any alcove. The floor is packed tight, but still there is sand here.
I look within my boots. There is sand here.
I look upon my bed. This is any bed also. There is sand here. It is of miserable sleep quality.

To repair I propose blocks and bricks of malachite. A paved footroad of superior architecture and pleasant green across the main corridors of the earthen dormitory hall. My grandfather and father and I have known malachite in many occurrences and it is Good Flagstone to admire. It would eventually clean bed and boot and sleep contaminants with exceptional efficiency.

Enclosed is a floorplan of the earthen housing hall with courtesy to mining records.

GLORIOUSLY UNDERSIGNED,

scamtank

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

OhCrap posted:

Worth 9600, so it's an improvement. It is useless, sadly.

The reigning overseer's throne room could use a few pedestals.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

OhCrap posted:

I forgot to make note: this is the first log that displays one of the combat changes. Most facial features are now internal to the head and can no longer be targeted deliberately. Cheeks also made more sense as cheekbones, so this was made happen.

I can't wait to see someone take a blunt object to the chest.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

Oh, we have rations!

OhCrap, have you seen them work? Do the patrolling/guarding/training soldiers eat and drink from their packs?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

How did I poo poo TRAINS survive that? Giant cave spider venom is a potent full-body paralytic. He should've suffocated right on the spot!

• Locked thread