Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

A cavern fortress would rock. Spend the first two years consolidating in the upper fort, then breach the caverns, recruit an army of miners and move everything down, the upper fort can be converted to a maze of traps and storage for tradegoods.

poo poo, build towers in the caverns!

Edit: I don't know the world gen parameters for this LP, but I normaly leave cavern openness between 90 and 100 and tunnels between 0 and 10. This ensures huge open caverns with lots of arable ground.

Demiurge4 fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Jun 24, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

We should build a temple to Ugath on the far side of the river. Or just wall the whole thing off and divert a portion of the river through steel wallgrates to form a lake we can siphon inside to build wells.

gently caress the undead.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Star Guarded posted:

As someone who has barely played DF2012, are the disease clouds randomized like forgotten beast syndromes? Lovin' the updates.

It's a pretty cool mechanic. Most of the clouds I've witnesses myself engulf a living creature and turn it into an undead monster when the dust touches it. This dust spreads, so when it kills a dwarf, that dwarf will rise as a husk. But it doesn't have to kill, if it lands a hit it'll get dust on your dwarves and turn them even if its brought down. They're loving deadly.

I'm sure we'll see Bronzestabbed die horribly when a migrant wave emerges right on top of a cloud, forcing an overseer to wall off and never recieve another migrant.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Shukaro posted:

A neat way to deal with contaminants like husk-dusk or forgotten beast extracts is with waterfalls above shallow water channels. The water will wash all the nasty stuff off of anything that passes through it, and it will even give your dwarves happy thoughts. :)

A waterfall in the entrance tunnel could be a thing. Pump water in from the river, bring it up a z-level and let it drop onto grates and then feed into a lake in the caves that drains off the edge of the map.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Shorter Than Some posted:

Yeah but the problem is it doesn't just rule out dusk husks but all other syndromes as well. Would it be too spoilerish for Leperflesh to tell us whether he has tested the cloud for dust husks or not? Also are all clouds from the same evil region the same?

Someone did mention that its possible for migrants to show up through the caverns. So I suppose if its a husk cloud the fort could be walled off. This means no more caravans though so everything has to be produced in-house.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

I just realised we're still only into Hematite (April). The quality of the updates made me think a lot more time had passed for some reason. I'm always terrible at using time properly, the first migrant wave just sits and does fuckall while I muck about with arming two soldiers in some kind or armour and steel weapons. What I should be doing is put a pick or an axe in every new arrivals hand and get those fuckers to work.

Future planning is not my strongest trait.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Boing posted:

Hematite is the first month of Summer so technically it's more like June :eng101:

There's 12 months in a DF year, and Hematite is the fourth. Therefore April :eng99:

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Internet Kraken posted:

Not sure how spoilery some might consider this, so better safe than sorry;

Embarking near a necromancer's tower means they have the potential to show up with an undead siege, which can happen at any time. So while he's not guaranteed to come it is pretty likely he'll show up at some point. Just have to hope it isn't next month :v:

Undead are loving bastards, but as long as they die outside of the evil area to the north they won't resurrect if the dwarves can off the necromancer. Of course getting him through an army of undead is another matter entirely :v:

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Colon V posted:

I think, now that there's a year of "ordinary activities", the next overseer can skim. No need to give an account of every item ordered, but future overseers should at least know the general information about what's being done.

I'm sure there will be plenty of opportunity to focus on fighting zombies and Elves.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Pickled Tink posted:

I honestly don't get the hate for elves. maybe it is just that my forts don't tend to use enormous amounts of wood, but I often sell them shiny mechanisms for berries to make interesting wines, for cloth, in some cases for over a hundred wood, and for the great animals they bring pre-tamed. Because of elves, one of my fortresses was guarded by several dozen GIANT DESERT SCORPIONS. And Bears. And Giant Lions.

In summary: Elves are great neighbours. A bit fussy, but they give the gift that keeps on breeding: Killing machines.

And Bravo Leperflesh on a great year. That said, I do wish you provided a shot of the kestrel. For !!science!! purposes.

Elves are prissy, stuck up bitches who will whine about you selling them stuff in a wooden bin. Also they use lovely wooden everything and are easy to kill.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Pozzo posted:

I agree, they get a bum rap. I enjoy the incredibly elaborate pump-a-thon method.

Not everyone knows how to work that arcane mechanism, that is an aquifer pump rack. I've tried loving around with it a few times but nope, can't do it so I also remove aquifers.

I spend my time building elaborate defences, huge workshops and gold statues, while trying to stave off destruction for as long as possible. Creating value like a possessed Dwarf.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

I poo poo Trains :smith:

Why was the militia so expanded before proper armour could be prepared? Trains only had greaves on! :argh:

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

That was epic, now craft more armour and weapons! :supaburn:

At least we'll be able to equip the now smaller militia better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

I don't care how awful that helmet it, designate for the militia commander, permanently. :black101:

• Locked thread