Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Do I detect a hint of bravemule creeping in?

Nice start.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

geri_khan posted:

Oooh neat. This should be good! Looking forward to more.

Is there anything new to DF since the last big LP that we can look forward to?

Toady finished implementing the Big Three movie monsters.

Well, if you count Doctor Frankenstein as a necromancer, at least.

Minecarts are also in.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Oh, by the way, it looks like the spreadsheet link in

quote:

The form adds you to the dwarfing list spreadsheet, which is here:.

got omitted.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Rurik posted:

I think one of the fortresses (Ripewhips) succumbed either to the goblins or a Forgotten Beast disease.

A common trend in world gen is goblins getting assimilated into dorf civilizations and then massively outbreeding them, resulting in a 'dwarven' civ that contains no dwarves.

Pretty sure that's a factor in what's going on.

And yeah, getting a time-lapse would be cool. Especially a stonesense time lapse, though it would be pretty big.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

I'm just hoping for a lycanthropic mitosis scenario.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Leperflesh posted:

Here is a fun fact: apparently weather (including mists) is random and disregards the random seeds. This means that even embarking in exactly the same location at exactly the same time with exactly the same worldgen does not allow you to find out in advance what kind of weather you'll have (or what it will do).

Consequently, I actually don't know (yet) what our mist does. Your guess is as good as mine. I hope it's interesting!

I know that the game generates a set of mists ahead of time and then picks from those.

So if you set the mist types pretty low, you can get a good idea of what to expect.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Pickled Tink posted:

I'm finding it very hard to tell what is going on in the outdoors shots. I am just too used to the default settings. Spot the murk is pretty hard when it is homogeneous green on homogeneous green when your usual terms of reference don't apply.

I know that it's possible to change the color of several materials without requiring a regen. Does anyone with more experience than I have know how to do that for murks?

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Internet Kraken posted:

That's not how they work. Corpse resurrection is an inherit trait of all evil biomes. What type of weather you get depends on the region. Some of them have multiple weather types. One of my last evil biome embarks had half-elf blood rain and heinous fog.

EDIT: Unless that actually isn't the case, the wiki isn't entirely clear. Still, if Bronzestabbed is in an evil biome that is merely sinister and has not resurrecting corpses it is the wimpiest, most pathetic hell hole ever. The murk might no even do anything.

It's possible not to get corpse resurrection. I've set up shop in an evil biome where it constantly rained human blood, but with no other negative effects - which was a bit of a disappointment.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Nice start to a second turn. Solid beginning, and hopefully a lead in to the megaproject that will doom us all.

The only minor quibble I have is that two or three of the military screens are too wide for my monitor. Would it be possible to shrink those images at all?

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

So I'm a miner/milker. I guess I can deal with being half-useless. Do I have any interesting relatives?

I'd like to propose a ramp system for use in the fortress minecarts as a bovine delivery mechanism.

Upper level:
▓▲▼▼+▼▼+▼▼+▼
Lower level
▓▓▲▲▓▲▲▓▲▲▓▲+++╬++╤╥@

Put caged cows in minecarts on a Z+6 upper level (with a series of rollers) and give them a push down. The beef will be delivered to the dining room in record time.

What's with the /\/\/\/\/\ series of ramps? Well, how else are we going to have milkshakes?

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Reconstructed from engravings on the underside of several rock thrones crafted in Bronzestabbed. Style of engraving is consistent with other samples from The Archivist, but dictation by Dismab 'Tunicate' Calledtool is considered the most likely origin by modern historians.

... has deconstructed Mr. In honor of event I have composed lyrics in traditional style.

There once was an overseer craven
Who could not read instructions engraven
So he went with an axe
To disable pump-stacks
And next day awoke quite clean-shaven!

Ohcrap hums despite crude comedy at his expense. I do not believe he has realized the Poetry, nevertheless in the event production of song becomes forbidden music will be exported clandestinely.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Bikindok was only in band for a few practices. He either had a pet peafowl or conversed about pet peafowl enough to convince that he did. He had natural ability for music but little linguistic ability or comprehension of the world around him. We therefore made him drummer.

In honor of dead bandmate I have constructed a dirge in the traditional poetic form.

There once was a dwarf Bikindok
Who loved to expose his peacock
He embarked one night
And went out of sight
A mason should never leave rock

I will not perform this music as I do not think it proper. Everyone in the band is a mason and the music played is nevertheless not the music of masons.

We need more rocks in our music.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

OhCrap posted:

27th Granite 238

The Archivist does Parent!

Welcome to Bronzestabbed, Antitonic Humidwhip, daughter of The Archivist Paintcastle and Tunicate CalledTool!

Whose a widdle bitty baby? You are!

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

TildeATH posted:

How the hell do you milk a marsupial?

Like a purring maggot, but you have to hop up and down.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Bad Munki posted:

I sincerely hope one of your first few updates involves forcibly removing my lovely copper axe and replacing it with something more befitting the militia's primary instructor. :colbert:

I'm sure he'll give you an axe suitable for your new job training everyone else.

Do you prefer willow or pine?

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

OhCrap posted:

e: this also means that Zapdos' screenshots are now too big :argh:

I have to agree here. I'm finding it hard to read on my 1366 x 768 widescreen monitor. Can you TIMG some of that?

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Leperflesh posted:

They only ever kill each other if they've been cursed in some way or are at war, too, so you never get random murders due to failed moods or tantrums after tragedy strikes.

I believe it's a civilization parameter: goblins will murder each other rather frequently in worldgen.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

scamtank posted:

And right in the middle of fort-wide mourning I kick down the door and instruct everyone to gaze upon my kangaroo bone scepter ain't it awesome.

Man, if the mood had been timed a week later, you'd have made a scepter out of titan bone instead.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Valiantman posted:

It seems I can no longer stab goblins in the face in Canadwarf after I've restarted the game one. :confused:

(that's one hell of a ¤journal entry¤)

Nevermind, couldn't replicate it. The error must be between the keyboard and the chair. Someof those jumps are indeed brutal. Bulito is lots of Fun.

I think if you activate 'elf mode' you lose your ability to attack...

Personally, I think it should let you eat the goblins instead of stabbing them, but what do I know.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Rawkking posted:

At last! The elves from Niyaamu here, carrying generous quantities of much-needed cloth and wood! Our stonecrafters seem to have occupied themselves with hauling and tower construction instead of attending to my open order to sculpt limestone.

It's not a 'limestone block'.

It is a limestone statue depicting squares :colbert:.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Leperflesh posted:

but we have to accept that dwarves simply do - their weird alien brains seem to be comfortable with arbitrary injustice on a regular basis.

Try convicting the victim using the dwarven justice system.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Angela Christine posted:

All those musical prodigies trapped in a world without music. :smith:

Indeed.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Veloxyll posted:

I suspect that the Cistern might accidentally spring some leaks around certain dwarves if this keeps up.

Don't worry, I'll save them.

Just give me a minute here. There's no rush, right?

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Expect my dorf to finish his list moments after all the Ugathers are ... ugathered?

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

scamtank posted:

The gall of this goddamn generation. Not even goblins speak ill of their dead.

I'm just saying, if they were faster at drinking than a drat elf they'd still be alive.

:colbert:

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

quote:

"I know, and the toddlerseer said to forbid all their goods, we don't want some idiot running out here and getting stabbed or crushed trying to retrieve a sock. Hey, who is that, and why isn't he coming inside?"

"It's The Archivist. We told everyone to come inside, but he just keeps standing out there, looking bored."

:colbert: If The Archivist isn't female, then Antitonic has a HELL of a lot of explaining to do.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Antitonic posted:

Don't blame me, I'm just an adorable little kiddie. You're the parent, you sort it out. :colbert:

:colbert: If parents were supposed to sort these things out, would we have a toddler as an overseer?

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

I'm voting for Antitonic for Baron. My reasons are entirely not 100% related to nepotism in the slightest.

Also, it seems obvious that Leperfish is going to win the vote no matter who I pick.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

scamtank posted:

I'm just bothered by the fact that the chunk of adamantine shown to the crowd is a boulder and not a wafer. :colbert::colbert::colber:

:ssh: It actually *is* microcline, but he looked like he was having so much fun up there we decided not to mention it.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Jazzimus Prime posted:

Even if your dwarf has already died or hasn't arrived yet, any suggestions for projects, completing unfinished projects, and the like are all welcome.

Well, my wife made a big adamantine mug, and now everyone's oooohing and awing about it. I want to singlehandedly make a mug a thousand times that size, made of solid obsidian (or adamantine, I'm not picky) and full of magma.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

You know how you were asking for projects overseer?

Yeah, I have a project for you. The Antitonic Memorial Statue Garden.

And I'm mandating the construction of Fire Imp Skull Totems for the statue garden. Stick them on obsidian pedestals. That'll show them.

You can put in statues of dwarves striking down fire imps if you really want - I'm not picky.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Knockknees posted:

Maybe if you guys had been posting more journal entries and fan art Jazzimus would have been giving us more updates!
I guess I could remark about The Archivist having a psychotic break and calling her new kitten 'Antitonic'... but I'm not a very good writer, and it isn't exactly my dorf.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

LeJackal posted:

I will immediately order all dwarves to Kill Time. This menace must be stopped.

In accordance with overseer LeJackal's command, will spend remainder of year On Break.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Leperflesh posted:

LeJackal updated his previous update (Malachite) to run through the end of that month, so if you already read it and didn't see the latest snow monster's arrival, you may want to go back and check that out. Also animated gifs!

My browser must be doing something dumb, or I'm just being dumb myself. Which pictures are animated?

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Bad Munki posted:

Two hours over-due! Reeeeeeroooooolllll! :v:

PS. I still want to be #1 tia

Congratulations!

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Leperflesh posted:

Oh yeah, this LP. Huh. I guess it's past time to roll the dice, eh?

1d5. 1=Bad Munki, 2-5=Not Bad Munki (1d5=5)

Congratulations Sky Shadowing! Not only are you not Bad Munki, but you're our next overseer! Please send me a PM or email (my username at gmail dot com) in the next 24 hours. We need to chat before you start actually playing your turn.

e. I just want to point out that of the 11 rolls I've made, six came up as the maximum value. Obviously we can conclude from this that being the last one in the list is the best way to win...

If I'm doing my math right, it looks like there's only a 20% chance of Bad Munki missing the overseer slot so consistently.

EDIT: Ah, of course. How silly of me, that should be 100%

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

quote:

To say Bronzestabbed is a sprawling mess of a fortress in which it is easy to get lost and die of dehydration is an understatement so great it's practically an affront to the gods.
You go on break just once and let a guy die of thirst, and suddenly everyone's always on your case about it.

:colbert:

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Antitonic? Is that you?

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

So... an undertrained nurse managed to take out ten militia members?

And my dwarf is a double-legendary minerdwarf with an axe.

This'll be entertaining.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Bad Munki posted:

The fires have burned out across the river. As a warning shot, it had...mixed effects. Although the sight of one of the creatures that got caught in it is certainly giving the locals the creeps, that much at least was a raging success.

Being zombified and melted is no excuse to neglect your mustache combing.

• Locked thread