Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Boing
Jul 12, 2005

trapped in custom title factory, send help
Dwarfing list is 47 long so far so that's like one migration wave

Great OP! Already nostalgic just from reading your writing style again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boing
Jul 12, 2005

Personally I'm not too worried about the little evil corner we have next to the site. But then I don't know if evil beasts and whatever else are going to roam outside of that area. Hopefully we'll get to see!

And man a lot of people want to be adult male dwarven sheriffs. I propose trial by combat

Boing
Jul 12, 2005

I doubt that identifying vampires from updates will be a problem. Even if it's evident from the dwarf stats screen, by the time 30+ strong migrant waves start coming, overseers will have better things to do than to screenshot every single migrant's stats.

Boing
Jul 12, 2005

Looking at the embark site again. There's not much flat ground to build a Gemclod-style keep on, so I'll be interested to see what Leperfish decides to make the fort look like. Normally I try to carve my entrance into a rock face but all the slopes here seem to be mainly soil, so we'll certainly be going down a few levels.

Boing
Jul 12, 2005

I really like how you take niggly game mechanics and turn them into flavour, where it's dwarves being stubborn or traditional or whatever. Like this:

Leperflesh posted:

Bad Munki also informed he will lead the squadron 'The Stormy Lancers' which is a good military name but I do not understand how one dwarf can be a squad.
“It is so that the Administrator can assign equipment and barracks of course,” he told me, and I admitted that of the military records that I had seen in the past all were arranged thusly although squads always contained more dwarfs. “I assign the copper helm and an axe to The Stormy Lancers” I told him, and marked it on paper, and he was satisfied.

Also, am I the only one that's a bit worried about our animal situation?

e: Igest is the best god. POETRY and STORMS

Boing
Jul 12, 2005

Rurik posted:

Am I understanding you correctly, the latter ain't x km2? So for example "10 square kilometres" would be 102 kilometres which is equal to 10*10 kilometres which is equal to 100 kilometres? Or do you mark the square kilometres in the US differently than here in Europe?

I think Leperfish uses "10 kilometres square" to mean the area of a 10km * 10km square, which is 100 square kilometres.

That piece is amazing, Loden. I've started trying to compose music recently and I wish it came to me nearly as easily as that.

Boing
Jul 12, 2005

Leperflesh posted:

I interrupted because I owned details.

“In 174 the Fellowship of Adventuring formed in The Mysterious Temple in Ripewhips” I recited, and six dwarves heard my tone and quieted. I recited History.

“In 174, the dwarf Bembul Lurepaged ruled from The Mysterious Temple of The Fellowship of Adventuring in Ripewhips.”

Nettle Soup closed her eyes. Internet Kraken leaned on his sprawled dog and Bad Munki took seat. No dwarf will interrupt a history.

This is remarkable.

Again, the way you take Dwarf Fortress's clunky Legends madlibs and run with it and make it sound dwarfy as gently caress is just perfect.

Boing fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Jun 26, 2012

Boing
Jul 12, 2005

So The Rare Ship must have basically dominated a lot of the world in conquest, since we've been able to absorb so many other races into our cities. Are we totally imperialist badasses? Because that would be the upshot.

Boing
Jul 12, 2005

Demiurge4 posted:

I just realised we're still only into Hematite (April).

Hematite is the first month of Summer so technically it's more like June :eng101:

Boing
Jul 12, 2005

Ayana posted:

Tithleth Dreamyriddles the Subtleties of Mist, Dwarven goddess of dreams, the night, and darkness.

Not dwarfy enough. Where is her beard?

Boing
Jul 12, 2005

TremendousMajestic posted:

Old Paint felt like wasting another beer.

This was great. I have a good feeling about this LP.

Boing
Jul 12, 2005

The sound of picks. Muscled arms sweat from labour, toiling endlessly amid the depths of the earth. Ever deeper they plunge, ceasing not for thirst nor fatigue, for there is no prize greater than the riches beneath.

(Disclaimer: This is the first actual song I've ever composed, I have literally no formal music training, I haven't a clue how to write for other instruments, I don't know the first thing about how to make MIDIs sound good and failed spectacularly at trying to export it as an mp3. But all that aside, I hope someone likes it!)

edit: Updated, now with 100% less midi

Boing fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Jun 27, 2012

Boing
Jul 12, 2005

I bet you also have a great need for people to like and admire you, and you tend to be critical of yourself.

Flavius Belisarius posted:

Do we need to wait until we get dwarfed to post journal entries, or can we post stuff from where we are currently (i.e. Ripewhips)?

I don't think anyone will hold it against you if you jump the gun. Nothing wrong with journal entries even if you won't ever be dwarfed.

Boing
Jul 12, 2005

Vox Nihili posted:

Not sure if that really applies to the dwarf personalities. They tend to be more specific than horoscope-type descriptions and often pretty extreme, "He is not easily moved to pity" and the like.

Personality traits are generated on a 0-100 scale for each factor and are normally distributed around a mean of 50. Those that fall in the completely neutral segment of a given personality factor aren't mentioned at all in the description, but nonetheless the majority of things that get included are fairly mild. "Calm demeanour", "self-conscious", "can handle stress". You get a few that are extreme, like you say, but most will fall within a reasonable error distribution for any average response on personality questionnaire items.
:goonsay:

Boing
Jul 12, 2005

I have this idea for writing a song at the end of each year in roughly the same minimalist staccato style, based on the achievements and circumstances of that year, while still keeping some thematic cohesion. For me at least it'd be good composition practice. And if it got to the end it'd make for a nice album to play Dwarf Fortress to (because I always had trouble finding music that sounded dwarfy enough for my taste). However I know I'm nowhere near as good as Sirocco or Loden, so I'm hesitant to just go for it in case someone else wanted to do something similar and do a better job of it. Let me know if this is something that we want.

Cthulhu Dreams posted:

I actually really like this. One tedious nitpick, can I suggest reducing the stereo separation on the mix because it sounds like you physically have your head in a piano when you listen to this with headphones. This is.. off putting.

I was playing with the MIDI sliders and I didn't realise it'd be so jarring. Lessons learned, right

Boing
Jul 12, 2005

I seriously have no idea how anyone is going to follow Leperfish after this. Bravo.

Boing
Jul 12, 2005

Amazing epilogue. Really looking forward to the next instalment.

Boing
Jul 12, 2005

Leperflesh posted:

It was a momentous occasion and I had all of their attention.

A dwarf cannot mistake a moment of history being made. I beheld their faces and saw in their eyes commitment to this singular revelation of dwarfhood. Can there be any greater privilege in life, than to be a part of such an event? I felt the presence of Etest, god of fortresses, metals, and war. Igest Nestethkurol inspired my words. All the true gods heard me in that moment, and I aspired to make my words worthy.

“In the annals of our people, it will forevermore be written that in the Early Spring of 236, in The Hill of Rewarding, Ritholducim founded for the glory of all Akrelzuglar the fortress Kilrudzat: Bronzestabbed. Strike the earth!”

Year One (Leperfish)

(maybe if I do this enough I'll get decent at it)

Boing fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Jul 3, 2012

Boing
Jul 12, 2005

Loden Taylor posted:

This is cool. It conveys the feel of the first year of a fortress; mining, building, and relentless labor.

Thanks! I'm glad that came across. Quality of writing aside, not much really happened this year so that hopeful sense of establishing an outpost was all I had to go on. Future overseer years might have more concrete themes that should be easier to write around.

Boing
Jul 12, 2005

Oh god everyone's dead

Boing
Jul 12, 2005

It's gamey but I like having a mister, it gives us a fighting chance against the kestrel of certain doom or any of its ilk.

This owns so drat hard

Boing
Jul 12, 2005

Oh wow

Boing
Jul 12, 2005

The inevitable child overseer will have a lot of potential though.

Boing
Jul 12, 2005

JamieTheD posted:

And then it happened. A Werehyena. The military was called for, an alert was sounded, although I do not hold out too much hope.

It looks pretty scary, after all...

Something's fishy about this update

Boing fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Jul 9, 2012

Boing
Jul 12, 2005

I guess it actually was pretty deadly, and probably would've killed Nomikos if it wasn't so distracted by trying to break her baby. Crazy hyena really wanted to kill that baby. And Nomikos only took it out once (presumably) the full moon had passed and crazy hyena became a crazy naked human which isn't much of a threat.

I am leaving fishy in my quote on the last page for posterity, never forget :colbert:

Boing
Jul 12, 2005

Loden Taylor posted:

I've been sitting on these two for a while, waiting until something like this happened.

One for the rush into battle:

And one for the dead:

Also never stop the Lego.

I continue to be awed by your talent for these.

Boing
Jul 12, 2005

JamieTheD posted:

In our next chapter, we shall deal with the Murk, and its strange effects on a being's anatomy.

Foreshadowing :ohdear:

Boing
Jul 12, 2005

Hey I just got back from holiday, time to catch up on Bronzest

JamieTheD posted:

Dearest Boing...

know that I love you, my child

:geno:

(actually this is pretty nice)

Boing
Jul 12, 2005

I had started to associate 'Bad' with 'murked' so as soon as I saw Bad Spider webbing up the fort I thought we were done. i poo poo trains is going to have the badassest scar. And a good story to tell.

Is the cavern hatch outdoors? That's sensible I guess but was a little confusing.

Boing
Jul 12, 2005

OhCrap posted:

Markus_cz diagnoses that i poo poo trains has "great big bloody spider bite in Head you great gallumping idiot".

I had to explain to my officemates why I was laughing :negative:

Boing
Jul 12, 2005

DrMelon posted:

If the soap managed to clean his wounds before the paralysis syndrome took hold, he should be safe I think. One of the many benefits of soap!

The syndrome took hold immediately because he was paralysed in the spider's grasp, but I think it wore off before he had enough time to actually suffocate. I'm picturing i poo poo trains with a big bloody bandage tied around his head, already up and chasing kobolds around without a second thought.

Boing
Jul 12, 2005

Looks like musclebaby's all grown up

OhCrap posted:

I was fully expecting him to die. His head was pissing blood.

i poo poo trains is a Dwarf God incarnate. :stare:

If he ever oversees there is a perfect opportunity for a literally brain-damaged overseer

Boing
Jul 12, 2005

I'm not exactly sure what the 'Toughness' attribute does. Does it improve the material density of your flesh and bones? Or lessen the force of the blows hitting you, or improve your tolerance to pain (which I thought was willpower)? Or does it just give you more blood? That would be a pretty gamey way of doing it

Boing
Jul 12, 2005

I really like this update schedule. OhCrap is a Good Overseer.

Boing
Jul 12, 2005

Daktar posted:

There once was a dwarf who shat trains
Who died in the greatest of pains
Down out of the light
He got in a fight
And took a sharp stick in his brains

:golfclap:

Boing
Jul 12, 2005

Loden Taylor posted:

So I started over with this:

This could easily be Final Fantasy battle music, tell me the influence is there.

Boing
Jul 12, 2005

Zapdos is miserable which you see very rarely so I'm looking forward to him going insane and narrating overseer updates as a gibbering lunatic or hopeless depressive.

Boing
Jul 12, 2005

That ending was metal as gently caress. Nice job!

Boing
Jul 12, 2005

Aw poo poo

e: Given how much trouble we had with one fire-breathing titan and one murk coyote I definitely don't think engaging this lot is a good idea on any level

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boing
Jul 12, 2005

markus_cz posted:

Withdraw all civilians to the caverns, lure the goblins into the fortress proper, wait till their forces separate searching various rooms and keep ambushing them in the labyrinth of hallways and workshops!

This is actually a really good and sensible idea, teams of archers are much less effective in cramped corridors with lots of corners which gives our melee teams a chance to

Stelas posted:

There's your answer. Loose the coyotes! :black101:

no wait hold on this is perfect DO THIS

gently caress. DO IT

• Locked thread