Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
If they are stuck on a floating floor, which happens most of the time in these cases, build a staircase to them and they will escape that way. You'll know you've done it right when they suddenly shoot off the tile to resume work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
I'm getting tired of my gnomes working themselves to death. Take a break and grab a drink you idiot! There's even a Well on the same level.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I have literally never had them do this when access to drink has been available. You sure you haven't blocked the path somehow?

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN

Captain Invictus posted:

I have literally never had them do this when access to drink has been available. You sure you haven't blocked the path somehow?

I made sure. It's happened several time to me now. My miners and my haulers quite literally die from thirst because they stop only to eat and sleep. I've had to do extreme micro in order to prevent this.

ruro
Apr 30, 2003

Where is the best place to buy this? I've never used either of the services offered on the website!

Nemico
Sep 23, 2006

I hear that if you use Desura (whatever that is), it takes extra time from the release of a patch to when it updates your game. I used the form to buy the game directly from the guy (the "Predorder Direct" link), and it worked just fine.

NFX
Jun 2, 2008

Fun Shoe
Same here (direct buy). You get a download link in the e-mail, and that link can also be used when there are new updates out.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
New patch! Fixed idle gnomes, made merchants more convenient/less busted(I tried to get rid of 25,000 dirt clumps through the merchant and not only did it take 3 seasons to transfer all that dirt but then the game crashed 3/4 of the way through it due to having over 30,000 items on a single tile), sapling removal!

quote:

General:
Optimizations for creating stock jobs (fixes performance problems with idle gnomes)
Cut clipping removes saplings
Trading with merchants no longer requires items to be brought to the merchant
Mine jobs select the top of the cell instead of the bottom
Added option in settings.ini to hide the mouse cursor when selecting. Default is off

Bug Fixes:
Gnomes favoring certain materials over others, ie stocking dirt before clay
Items not falling when digging ramp up
Gnomes not using bandages on severed limbs that were bleeding

Hauling items to merchants "fits" more in the game, but it was getting in the way too much and making use of merchants. When you hit trade now, it's instant.

quote:

Cut clipping still takes a clipping from trees. It was just that previously if you planted a tree in a spot where it wouldn't grow it was impossible to remove the sapling. Cut clipping will now also remove saplings if you select it.

GruntyThrst
Oct 9, 2007

*clang*

Looking like there's a new bug. All my gnomes try to stock something in the same bin and get confused and just sit there until they die of thirst/starvation.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

GruntyThrst posted:

Looking like there's a new bug. All my gnomes try to stock something in the same bin and get confused and just sit there until they die of thirst/starvation.

Try suspending/unsuspending the stockpile?

edit: ah poo poo I just had it happen too. I'll let Robo know, maybe he can toss out a quick patch.

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Jul 18, 2012

GruntyThrst
Oct 9, 2007

*clang*

Captain Invictus posted:

Try suspending/unsuspending the stockpile?

edit: ah poo poo I just had it happen too. I'll let Robo know, maybe he can toss out a quick patch.

http://bugzilla.gnomoria.com/show_bug.cgi?id=153 This is the bug report I submitted. It might just be that the changes to stockpile code screw up old saves, because I didn't have it happen in a game I made brand new.

NFX
Jun 2, 2008

Fun Shoe
Pretty nice to see the bandage bug fixed too.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Bandage fix doesn't help when the game is broken due to the stockpile glitch getting even WORSE.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN

Captain Invictus posted:

Bandage fix doesn't help when the game is broken due to the stockpile glitch getting even WORSE.

drat :( Broken for me too.

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry
Smart pathing AI is an enormously difficult thing to pull off. I'd even say that pathfinding is one of the biggest AI problems in modern games. If you add to that job acquisition, balancing, priorities, and so on and so forth, it's easy to see how DF-like games are tremendously complex and are bound to be buggy by default.

However, the guy is releasing patches almost every week. I like that a lot. The game will get polished eventually - stockpiles and job priority balancing are basically the heart of the game, so it will probably take a while to get right. Make sure to report bugs on the dev's tracker if they're not there already.

In the meantime, playing Gnomoria has also motivated me enough to fire up Dwarf Fortress again. It's funny, but I think Gnomoria is spoiling me with its interface - DF's UI seemed even clunkier than before. It's a pity because it's so much more feature-complete. I hope Gnomoria gets there eventually, though it's probably best if the dev doesn't start adding things like atomic numbers, shearing simulation, vascularity, and so on. I'd rather have more abstraction, and a tighter, more intuitive experience.

Nemico
Sep 23, 2006

I know that complex pathing is difficult to program, but is "take the shortest route possible" just as bad? It doesn't matter if the gnomes walk over anything like crops, and as far as I can tell there are no movement penalties for rough terrain, or anything. Would there be a reason why this is the route my gnomes take to move logs?

GruntyThrst
Oct 9, 2007

*clang*

I noticed the same thing, they don't like to take the same path to and from something. Maybe there's a slowdown when you walk through another creature (DF does this, IIRC) so they're looking for the next fastest path with no gnomes on it?

Nemico
Sep 23, 2006

They walk the same path when they go out to do other jobs, though. It's like there are invisible checkpoints they have to pass through if they want to get back into the door.

Here's an anecdote: There was a patch of Oak trees and an Orchard next to it. My woodcutters felled the oaks. When my builders came to bring the logs inside, they veered left, walked three levels up the mountain over my base, and came down a ramp to the left of the door and walked in. They finished their job and went idle.

I had my farmers pick the apples. The builders ran out to bring the apples inside, veered left, walked three levels up the mountain over my base, and came down a ramp to the left of the door and walked in.

I tried removing the lowest ramps on the mountain, but that just caused them to go even further up and come down on the right of the door.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Yeah, the pathing is all sorts of hosed, but it's usually not TOO far out of the way.

I'm just going to switch back and forth between versions whenever I want to trade until this nasty stockpile bug is fixed, I guess.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Oh hey, patch is already out to fix the problem! Hooray for Robobob! :woop:

GruntyThrst
Oct 9, 2007

*clang*

Captain Invictus posted:

Oh hey, patch is already out to fix the problem! Hooray for Robobob! :woop:

Unfortunately it doesn't fix the problem. :saddowns:

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

GruntyThrst posted:

Unfortunately it doesn't fix the problem. :saddowns:

Yeah I just found that too :(

edit: I deleted the stockpile they got hung up on, remade it, and now things are back to normal. Haven't let it sit for too long to see if it'll stay fixed, but maybe try that?

Darval
Nov 20, 2007

Shiny.
Wow, where did this game come from? Looks really cool, I'm amazed at how far along it is already. From the blog posts, he seems to be working at a phenomenal speed as well.

Just downloaded the demo, but it seems kind of impossible to play right now, with some gamebreaking stockpile bug. All my gnomes just sit in the same spot, trying to stack and re-stack some dirt.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Darval posted:

Wow, where did this game come from? Looks really cool, I'm amazed at how far along it is already. From the blog posts, he seems to be working at a phenomenal speed as well.

Just downloaded the demo, but it seems kind of impossible to play right now, with some gamebreaking stockpile bug. All my gnomes just sit in the same spot, trying to stack and re-stack some dirt.

Yes, this was just added in the latest patch, and he's tried to hotfix it without success, so I suspect he's working on a more significant fix right now. I think he finally gets that it's literally unplayable because of the bug.

GruntyThrst
Oct 9, 2007

*clang*

Captain Invictus posted:

Yeah I just found that too :(

edit: I deleted the stockpile they got hung up on, remade it, and now things are back to normal. Haven't let it sit for too long to see if it'll stay fixed, but maybe try that?

Chances are they just ran to a new stockpile and got stuck. That's what they do for me, cycle through available stockpiles to get stuck in. They'll eventually circle around to your remade stockpile and get stuck in that one, too.

Like you mentioned, you can just roll back to 0.8.4 and patch when you want to trade, then roll back again. Annoying, but doable.

GruntyThrst
Oct 9, 2007

*clang*

0.8.5.2 is out, he's claiming issue resolved. Testing now.

Edit: Initial runs look good.

GruntyThrst fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Jul 18, 2012

USMC_Karl
Nov 17, 2003

SUPPORTER OF THE REINSTATED LAWFUL HAWAIIAN GOVERNMENT. HAOLES GET OFF DA `AINA.
Just picked up the game because, while I love DF, a more user friendly experience would be nice. Also I can't help but enjoy the fact that I have an actual tileset to work on. The ISO camera was interesting at first, but not anything that I couldn't get used to. I'll download the full game when I get home from work and continue my fort. Probably going to fail spectacularly, but hopefully it will be just as fun as DF.

Lightglobe
Oct 15, 2005
Really enjoying playing this. I've always been intimidated by Dwarf Fortress so this seemed like a really good way to get myself in to this style of game. I think the one thing that I really wish this game had was some sort of doctor who could fix up gnomes with broken legs and the like because I've got like three ex-soldiers in my fort who all can't walk and are fairly useless in the grand scheme of things.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Early alpha. No doubt doctors and all sorts of other poo poo will be added once he irons out the current bugs, which he largely just eliminated in the last few patches. Now if he would fix gnomes not using bandages and instead just sitting on top of them bleeding to death, that would be great. Or hell, hopefully he adds different levels of bleeding, with less serious ones healing over time.

Rhopunzel
Jan 6, 2006

Stroll together, win together

Lightglobe posted:

Really enjoying playing this. I've always been intimidated by Dwarf Fortress so this seemed like a really good way to get myself in to this style of game. I think the one thing that I really wish this game had was some sort of doctor who could fix up gnomes with broken legs and the like because I've got like three ex-soldiers in my fort who all can't walk and are fairly useless in the grand scheme of things.

I made a special "Veteran" class just for them, and made them tinkerers and put bedrooms and food next to the tinker workshops. :3:

Nemico
Sep 23, 2006

I usually end up with an Army Corps of Engineers, too.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Whenever a gnome falls over, if I've got a recent save, I just reload it. That's another bug I really don't like, because they never get back up if combat ends before they do.

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

Not a cute boy, just a boring girl.
I hope this gets finished, especially the gnome-gnome interaction parts. It looks like the inspiration will come more from The Sims, and that's a good thing in my opinion. The Sims is pretty fun for some things, but the micromanagement gets kind of old, especially with regards to toilets. I always wanted to just see relationships build, explode and cause problems and issues on their own inside of some sort of community sim while having to deal with that at a macro level dealing with expanding things via some sort of economy-like mechanic, and it seems like this just might scratch that itch.

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry
I actually hope for more focus on the engineering side of things. In DF, I always end up making weird dwarfy magma/water pumping massive projects, and lots of stuff with levers and mechanisms. Of course there's also the perverse guilty pleasure I get from watching the entire fort inevitably going down into a spiral of insanity, fire and death. Gnomoria feels a bit more friendly, so maybe I'll end up focusing more on building stuff.

I think they need to remove that "creatures spawn in dark tiles inside your fort" mechanic, like I said, because torch spam is just not fun at all.

However, I do like, extremely, the fact that I can build workshops and they don't get interrupted by a stray rock. One of the things I hate the most in DF is garbage dumping. Gnomoria doesn't seem to need it so far, and that's awesome. A really big point going for Gnomoria.

Killstick
Jan 17, 2010
I wish you could replace walls and floor with other kinds of materials without first tearing down the original. Micromanaging a full renovation of the floor in my 10 story fort is a pain.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I think it'd be great if there was an upgraded sort of torch, craftable with engineering, that simply shot a straight few lines wide beam of torchlight until it hits a wall. Then you could just line one side of a huge excavation with them and be done with it rather than trying to exactly space out torches so that there isn't a slightly too-dark tile in between them.

Mayor McCheese
Sep 20, 2004

Everyone is a mayor... Someday..
Lipstick Apathy

Pochoclo posted:

I think they need to remove that "creatures spawn in dark tiles inside your fort" mechanic, like I said, because torch spam is just not fun at all.

I agree, it gets a bit out of hand. The bedrooms become a mess once you start accumulating 30+ gnomes and you either have to end up plopping down a ton of torches or you just don't put up any doors/walls.

I haven't played the game recently because I get so absorbed I end up playing for hours. .then i have dreams about mining out rooms

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf
I'm waiting for the game to get a bit more polished before I dive in, but just wanted to say I love the fact that he's willing to make compromises with things like trading and give having a playable game priority over precious realism now and then no matter how much it hurts. This bodes well for the long run.

ruro
Apr 30, 2003

Loving the game so far, but stone and dirt stack up to 64 in storage areas but no other raw resources seem to? Every game I've started so far I've had to clear a lot of trees to make farm land and pasture but unless I devote an enormous area for storing logs I end up with logs everywhere. It's really frustrating. I think seeds are the same?

Raw materials should stack to 64 regardless of what they are, I don't mind produced goods not stacking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mayor McCheese
Sep 20, 2004

Everyone is a mayor... Someday..
Lipstick Apathy
Queue up some crates. They will store the bigger stuff inside them.

• Locked thread