Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
So why haven't you guys put this guy in charge yet?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=df7jOd6HcIY

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

Kurtofan posted:

How big are Japan's economic issues?

I do not expect Japan to make it to the 2020 Olympics without some serious poo poo going down. Japan keeps dumping money into the economy to keep it going, but it does so in a really lovely inefficient way due to vested interests. This might be tolerable if Japan's economy was still growing, but due to a lovely women/family unfriendly business culture and a xenophobic populace that prevent much immigration, the population is declining and with it any chance of growth. Combine this with the fact that the populace is aging and it gets even worse. In 20 years, the main export of Japan might be horrifying news stories about the impoverished elderly being eaten by wild dogs while scavenging for food.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
So it turns out dumping a regressive tax increase on a shaky economy has poo poo all over demand and sent the economy back into recession. Who could have ever foreseen this turn of events?

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

Stringent posted:

Is there any evidence that the tax has anything to do with the recession?

I don't see how you could argue against it. Wages are stagnant and costs are rising. You slap a regressive tax increase on top of that and then the numbers for domestic consumption plummet. The BBC are running the headline Japan falls into recession as consumers 'stop spending' on their site. Another article includes an analysis from their Tokyo Correspondent saying much the same thing.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
Well yes, the recession is really caused by structural problems. In my opinion, the fact that something as regressive as this was the only solution the political system could poo poo out is an extension of those structural problems.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

Trivia posted:

If anything Japan is a prime candidate for geothermal, but it's anyone's guess as to why they're not going down that avenue.

THE ONSENS WILL GO COLD! :byodood:

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
Sure the facts don't bear me out, but what you fail to realize is AMERIKKKA!

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

ookiimarukochan posted:

As problematic a viewpoint that is, it's better than actually trusting official Japanese government statistics given how hilariously fiddled they tend to be.

Sure, but they tend to be fiddled in the direction of proving that there are TERRIFYING FOREIGN CRIMINAL SYNDICATES that cause all the problems. I really don't think there much point in respecting a guy who's opening gambit is "Not sure why the American servicemen in Okinawa can't seem to stop raping locals ".

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
Now they just need a new slogan.

Like...

Japan loves DP!

DP, let's all come together.

Search for DP online today!

DP, that's what I like about Japan.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

Ron Darling posted:

Is there any way to fix it other than implement a reverse China style "Two child policy" (where families have to have two children)?

I know that sounds dumb but I don't entirely see how their pension system is sustainable short of that or a mega-western style "lol you paid $1 into it heres 45 cents back when you retire" kind of f you

The thing is that we know how to boost the fertility rate for women in 1st world countries. It's just that they're all things that Japan and it's government won't ever do.

Mandatory parental leave for both parents. Support for working mothers. Paying enough to be able to afford kids. Battling the work/drinking culture so that parents have time for family.

7c Nickel fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Apr 3, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
Those numbers have a different context in a society that tries to rely solely on in country births to maintain it's population.