Search Amazon.com:
Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

At the beginning of your upkeep, draw a card if it was illegitimate.

http://www.tampabay.com/blogs/the-b...ont-buy-it.html

quote:

Earlier in the day, Weston Democratic Sen. Nan Rich said she wouldurge Gov. Charlie Crist to veto proposed license plates that depicted Jesus and that depicted a cross in front of a stained-glass window.

Asked about whether he'd veto the legislation, Crist said no way.

"I would not veto those .... No, I would not," Crist said.

So you don't have a problem with Jesus on a license plate?

Crist: "I donít. No."

What about separation of church and state?

Crist: ďIf they donít want one they donít have to buy one.Ē

Is that state endorsement of religion?

"I think it ... What's it say? 'In God We Trust' on every single piece of monetary, coins and paper we have? I think itís fine."

Time to poke the hornet's nest, as atheists like myself are wont to do. There's not much to discuss in the way of facts here, so I'll just present my own take on this issue then make some popcorn and watch the show.

I'm willing to let this go if, AND ONLY IF, Crist and other religious conservatives acknowledge that "if you don't like it don't get one" is the same argument their side of the birth control/abortion debate has been dismissing for decades.

Does this mean the argument is now valid? If so, cool. I personally think we'd all be happier if we adopted the novel philosophy of staying out of each other's business when it doesn't directly affect us.

I don't think I'm alone in my pessimism that we'll get such an admission.

Let the ranting begin!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mookface
Jun 7, 2009

Diane! I'm holding in my hand a box of small chocolate bunnies.

I'm ok with it if it is a depiction of Jesus eating a man's face.

Kaninrail
Dec 9, 2007

The most dreaded of all hobos are the squeegee-wielders. Run them over.

mookface posted:

I'm ok with it if it is a depiction of Jesus eating a man's face.

Or a dog. Puppies for Christ.

spiralbrain
Jun 20, 2003

quote:

What about separation of church and state?

Crist: ďIf they donít want one they donít have to buy one.Ē

I literally just did a at my desk.

Watch the hypocrisy unfold as other religious groups try to do the same.

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

Nice custom title

If someone doesn't want a Jesus license plate, maybe they shouldn't be living in florida

Electric Crayon
Jul 20, 2004

Oh, it's you!

This article is from 2009, dude. Crist hasn't been the governor for years. But you're more than welcome to continue the fight I guess.

JoeCool
Aug 15, 2009

Is he really citing "In God We Trust" to justify violating the seperation of church and state? Wasn't that added during a time of fear-mongering to try and bring the US together against a common enemy (Communists)?

^^^^
Well, gently caress.

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

He makes a good point - we should probably stop printing "God" on our currency.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

Electric Crayon posted:

This article is from 2009, dude. Crist hasn't been the governor for years. But you're more than welcome to continue the fight I guess.

This is true. Clearly I need to sleep more before stumbling around the internet.

Jon Leibowitz
Feb 11, 2004

BaronVonVaderham posted:

Crist and other religious conservatives

That was just a role he was playing to get elected as a Republican governor; when he switched to independent and ran for Senate in 2010 he miraculously softened on social issues.

Neutrino
Mar 8, 2006

Can we petition for a Florida license plate with a depiction of Mohammed? If we are going to piss people off, let's piss them all off.

transfatphobic
Jun 19, 2011

Sir, did you know it's illegal to blow chicken percent?

I would like a license plate of Darwin, myself. Obviously.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

Jon Leibowitz posted:

That was just a role he was playing to get elected as a Republican governor; when he switched to independent and ran for Senate in 2010 he miraculously softened on social issues.

While true, that's typical around election season when trying to win moderate voters. I think his true colors lie somewhere in between, but definitely in the realm of religious conservative.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Seriously. This. Again?
i hate you so much

BaronVonVaderham posted:

Time to poke the hornet's nest, as atheists like myself are wont to do.

Maybe you should just shut up, since it's nothing anyone should care about ever?

Thinking that way is the reason I never tell anyone I'm an atheist, on the off chance I have to start hearing you guffaw about how stupid religious people are.

spiralbrain
Jun 20, 2003

Can I get a license plate of Bugs Bunny sawing off Florida? Just a shot of Florida floating away with Bugs arms in the arm would do.

Dassiell
Apr 3, 2009

I wouldn't care as long as any other religion, or atheism itself, can have a license plate endorsing their own if they want as well, but I doubt that.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

I'M A BUTTWIZARD

AND ALSO A BOOBWIZARD COME TO THINK OF IT

Neutrino posted:

Can we petition for a Florida license plate with a depiction of Mohammed? If we are going to piss people off, let's piss them all off.

How about Jesus eating Mohammed's face?

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

No Butt Stuff posted:

Maybe you should just shut up, since it's nothing anyone should care about ever?

Thinking that way is the reason I never tell anyone I'm an atheist, on the off chance I have to start hearing you guffaw about how stupid religious people are.

If you don't care, stfu? Commenting like this just to demonstrate that this discussion is below you is kind of a pet peeve of mine. If you don't like it, just move on, no need to be a dick.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

ultrafilter posted:

How about Jesus eating Mohammed's face?

Seconded.

mookface
Jun 7, 2009

How about Jesus eating Mohammed's rear end in a top hat?

transfatphobic
Jun 19, 2011

Sir, did you know it's illegal to blow chicken percent?

How about Mohammed's rear end in a top hat eating Jesus?

48 Hour Boner
May 26, 2005

I think something's wrong with this thing

Oh good, an excuse to use this again.

Electric Crayon
Jul 20, 2004

Oh, it's you!

Did you hear about that Danish cartoonist that messed with Mohammed? Crazy!
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/7240481.stm

Hope nothing happens to the guy!

AKA Pseudonym
May 16, 2004

A dashing and sophisticated young man

Florida has a bunch of special license plates to choose from if you're willing to pay for it. So you can choose not to buy the Jesus plate and still operate a vehicle in the state of Florida. The whole thing is still kind of dumb but there you go.

Edit: You can get a John Lennon "Imagine" plate too.

Electric Crayon
Jul 20, 2004

Oh, it's you!

By-the-by, if you did any research you'd find out that those religious plates didn't pass the Florida legislature. We can now free ourselves from the outrage caused by this three year old news article.

UFOTofuTacoCat
Sep 22, 2005

AKA Pseudonym posted:

Florida has a bunch of special license plates to choose from if you're willing to pay for it. So you can choose not to buy the Jesus plate and still operate a vehicle in the state of Florida. The whole thing is still kind of dumb but there you go.

Same with our custom plates in NC. We go this one:

Our plates usually say "First in Flight" across the top instead of "In God We Trust".

You pay $30 a year more for these special plates.

We got this one too which is kind of weird:

lil mortimer
May 24, 2010

I like the "Crist strikes again!" part of the thread title. The OP clearly thought it'd prove he's really got an educated read of the current state of Charlie Crist "Florida Governor" offenses.

AAA DOLFAN
Jun 17, 2002

I do not see why man should not be just as cruel as nature.

Dude is so evil he's still governing while not being the governor

mookface
Jun 7, 2009

Charles Crist has been dead for seven months and is in fact governing from beyond the grave. Take that atheists!

MY INEVITABLE DEBT
Apr 21, 2011

A goon killed me in a game about killing people and it made me SUPER SAD

I swear these loving xtians am i loving right you guys???

SKY WIZARD

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Seriously. This. Again?
i hate you so much

BaronVonVaderham posted:

If you don't care, stfu? Commenting like this just to demonstrate that this discussion is below you is kind of a pet peeve of mine. If you don't like it, just move on, no need to be a dick.

I don't really give a poo poo about your pet peeves if you're going to try to stir controversy based on something that has absolutely no effect on you, as demonstrated by the fact that this conversation occured 3 years ago.

Don't make it sound like because the idea that someone wants Jesus on a license plate you have to go on a moral crusade because you're an atheist and that's what atheists are "wont to do." It's mindless drivel, and I don't think you really presented an argument for someone not to have a picture on their license plate other than "but I don't believe in the fairy god waaa waa." Who gives a poo poo? Separation of Church and State isn't there to make sure that no one ever mentions Jesus on any official government forms, and even if it was being used as intended, there are other moral crusades to go on, i.e. teaching creationism vs evolution in government funding schooling in a mandatory manner.

What you've done is skim Google news for some hot button issue that isn't relevant, and amounted to dick. I bet you'd have no issue whatsoever if they were going to let people put the Flying Spaghetti Monster on a license plate.

The Rage
Jun 28, 2007

Chill out, dickwad.

mookface posted:

Charles Crist has been dead for seven months and is in fact governing from beyond the grave. Take that atheists!

Wikipedia doesn't say anything about him being dead!

rizuhbull
Mar 30, 2011

UFOTofuTacoCat posted:

got this one too which is kind of weird:

Without the picture of the plane (which is hard to make out), "First in Flight" makes North Carolinians sound like cowards.

Fallows
Jan 20, 2005
not racist

We should ban that SAVE THE MANATEES one too because gently caress manatees.

SneakySnake
Feb 5, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post

AKA Pseudonym posted:

Time to poke the hornet's nest, as Monkees fans like myself are wont to do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ALL-PRO SEXMAN
Nov 8, 2006

Veni, vidi, Lombardi.

Electric Crayon posted:

But man, you're not Dealing With It. It being his extremely angry sort of Atheism where rage against religion transcends such things as the Space-Time Continuum. Surely his feelings that are embodied in this thread will travel back in time to three years ago and put an end to this issue retrospectively!