Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fina
Feb 27, 2006

Shazbot!
I feel like Firefall will (one day) be a good game. I've enjoyed playing it so far but it has some serious issues that need addressed.

One of the worst issues is that the new player experience is awful. Your skills are locked off until you clear the first 8-10 levels which makes combat pretty dull unless you stick with it. That doesn't take too long if you know what you're doing, but new players stuck without perks that help with move speed or jump height or whatever may get put off by the sluggish start.

Another huge issue is that the PVP is currently a joke. They've got an open world PVP thing going which could be neat in theory but there is no level or equipment balancing done. You have absolutely no chance to just jump in and enjoy the PVP and gain experience that way, you will get one-shot when some guy rolling around in all epic gear sneezes in your direction. Aside from 1v1 duels in the world which can actually be really fun, OWPVP is practically restricted to a tiny minority of max level players.

That said, I've enjoyed having another chance to jumpjet around and midair things with not-spinfusors. The game has a chance to be a pretty good skill based MMOFPS if the developers can tune things up but they have a ways to go.

I haven't played Planetside 2 since launch and put it away since it felt like a bunch of Battlefield bullshit. Maybe I should give that another shot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Not really like Tribes, but it does share a common thread with FPS of old. Everyone needs to check out Lovely Planet

Part Quake, Part Super Meatboy, Part Katamari Damacy, but don't take my word for it. Look at this loving gif.

Yea its a single player game, but if you like old school style shooters with steep difficulty curves, you will love this game.

Lord Dekks
Jan 24, 2005

Thanks for the suggestions, maybe I'll give PS2 a whirl again. Presumably its settled down a bit now and doesn't have multi gig patches near daily anymore?

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Fina posted:

I feel like Firefall will (one day) be a good game.
Their studio nearly imploded and they spent all their money (on oversize PAX booths and a really dumb bus). Feeling like Firefail will ever be anything more than it is now is probably a fool's errand.

fake edit: the typo was unintentional but deserves to be left uncorrected

Meldonox
Jan 13, 2006

Hey, are you listening to a word I'm saying?
Man, I came back to this thread to see if maybe, just maybe they'd done something with the game again and it was full of pubbies who had no clue how to play. I could never get into organized team play but I enjoyed random pubstomps and disco parties and VGS spamming sessions with Goons.

Nothing else I've played has captured the same magic, either. How tragic. :smith:

Tommy 2.0
Apr 26, 2008

My fabulous CoX shall live forever!
Wait, what happened? I loaded TA again and the game is stuck at the installer...and you guys are saying it is dead? I am lost.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Tommy 2.0 posted:

Wait, what happened? I loaded TA again and the game is stuck at the installer...and you guys are saying it is dead? I am lost.

Yeah it's been dead for a while now.

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

Scyantific posted:

Yeah it's been dead for a while now.

No, unless your definition of dead is a lack of new content or support, or not a hot new thing, in which case I suppose. So in response to who was asking, yes, you can still play. I still load up T:A now and again and just played a match now to verify that it is still up. There are still well populated servers basically 24/7, though not quite as many these days but that is to be expected. A friend of mine and I both have occasional loading or connection issues, but the game isn't gone and lost forever.

I am guessing Hi-Rez must still make a tiny profit from T:A to keep the servers up, or maybe they just want to have something playable out there as a developer other then Smite. As a long time Tribes fan, I do hope that Hi-Rez will sell off the franchise though if they don't plan to do anything else with it.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Anyone want to join me in playing Tribes Vengeance? Its a free and legal download now, and its not as bad as everyone says once you ignore the grappler. http://tribesrevengeance.com/

I'm on steam /id/eggit

Look at this, people actually leave the ground unlike TA, its awesome. Somehow the graphics are better as well.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7J5OcztBZmM

eSporks fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Dec 14, 2014

Nondescript Van
May 2, 2007

Gats N Party Hats :toot:

Wadjamaloo posted:

Anyone want to join me in playing Tribes Vengeance? Its a free and legal download now, and its not as bad as everyone says once you ignore the grappler. http://tribesrevengeance.com/

I'm on steam /id/eggit

Look at this, people actually leave the ground unlike TA, its awesome. Somehow the graphics are better as well.

How many people play it? Is it fairly easy to find a game any time of the day?

neurotech
Apr 22, 2004

Deep in my dreams and I still hear her callin'
If you're alone, I'll come home.

Wadjamaloo posted:

I'm on steam /id/eggit

I'd love to, but I'm in Australia. I'm downloading it to check it out, as I loved T:V when it was first released. I doubt there are any Aussie servers, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Rest in peace, all.

• Locked thread